on July 17, 2013
I rarely write reviews. Just selfish I guess but I have to share since I have heard so much about these and have read some negative comments.

#1 The good: I buy a lot on Amazon, I shop for bargains everyday and I like quality over quantity. I always say, "skimp on price you will buy twice". These are tough made, solid construction devices. you get your moneys worth and unless you have a dog with a strong jaw use them as a chew toy, they just may last upwards of ten years. They go on and off easily.

#2 The bad: On two of my bars there is a gap. On one it is barely noticeable on the other it is maybe 1/2 an inch. Here is the secret..ready.... move the darn grip! If you rotate it you can make it face out , in, up, down or against your hand, if you wear gloves this isn't even an issue. So if you want to get these do not let those reviews scare you off. Common sense is available to all.

#3 The ugly: I just did bi's and tri's with these, I had to lower my weight and my forearms are so hurt I am typing veeerrrryyyy slowly. These surpass what I expected and if you are looking to fullfill your workout routine with huge arms and empower your forearms and grip to maximum results use these and when these get "old" get the Extremes. BUT do not think you can do the extremes NOW... these regular one will humble you.

As for the person who posted that these rotate around the bar, etc. If you are using these on a bar that is so thin it rotates around, do yourself a favor... return the bar to the elementary school you got it from and get an adult bar...I can not fathom in what world these will rotate around a bar for an adults gym.

If you are using these for pull ups and there is some rotating...THAT i can understand...squeeze real hard and make sure you do not let it move. This may stop your 12 reps and cut them down to a 8 rep set BUT when you finally work back up to 12 with the squeeze on the grips you will be able to do a lot more without them.

That's my two cents and I would like some change back. Thanks and enjoy!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2011
I was considering buying a fat bar, but after coming across so many good reviews (and video reviews if you look for them) I decided to give Fat Gripz a try. I haven't used a fat bar before, but I can imagine these are similar enough that you can use them for most of the same lifts. I'm not sure I'd try any olympic lift variations using them. (This concern may just be because my grip strength isn't "quite there" yet.) I have used them for straight leg dead lifts and they stay on pretty comfortably. Additionally, I think they have an advantage vs a fat bar because you can apply them to ANY bar or dumbbell. Fat bars are pretty standard, not lots of variation. These can be slapped onto bars, dumbbells, cable attachments, pull up bars, special bars, etc.
A couple things I was concerned about that I learned after ordering:
-They are VERY heavy duty rubber. I used them on a brand new texas power bar (DEEP knurling) and it did nothing to damage the rubber.
-They attach and detach simply, you need two hands to pull it open and it just clamps on the bar
-They retain their shape very well after removing from the bar (not stretched out)
-Each fat Grip itself is pretty heavy (not so heavy that I would say "I benched 302 pounds counting the fat gripz" but heavier than I expected,) which is good in my opinion.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is that when they are placed on an olympic bar there is ~1 cm gap on the opening side. I'm not sure how/if fat Gripz could fix that, and it really isn't a huge problem. It just takes a little getting used to. I found the positioning of that gap is important and different for a push vs a pull. This is part of the reason I don't think I'd olympic lift in them.

All in all I'm very happy with them and they certainly do humble your grip strength the first time you use them. I look forwards to regularly using them within workouts.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 7, 2012
These things are intense. A little pricey, which is why I held off for awhile before buying them, but well worth it. If you're looking for a fantastic and simple (not to say easy) way to increase grip strength and forearm development, these are the ticket. I've only been using them for a week and already I'm feeling results. Beware: if you use them on deadlift or rowing exercises, be prepared to be humbled. Quickly. I didn't really see a big weight or volume reduction when using them on curls (some to be sure) but WOW, when I used them on deadlifts, I couldn't get beyond my warm up weight for sets of six before my forearms were screaming. Even then, I had to reset my grip after every two reps at least. Looking forward to continuing to challenge myself and build Herculean forearms with these. 5 stars.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 14, 2014
This product is actually a 3-4 star product. The reason it gets a 1 star rating is that the owner/company asked consumers to review the product in order for a chance to win something. That's why there are so many reviews on/around August 13th. Look at reviews before then for more honest answers. Here was the email sent to people who have purchased Fat Gripz:

Hey

How's it going?

Do you have a couple of minutes to do me a quick favor?

Fat Gripz are on Amazon now and it would be really cool if you
would leave a quick review on there for me saying what you like
about Fat Gripz and how they have helped in your training
(increased arm size, more strength, reduced joint pain, etc). I
want people to be able to read real reviews by genuine users of Fat
Gripz like you.

Is that cool?

Actually, to say thanks, I am going to send a pair of engraved Fat
Gripz to the 25 people who write the most awesome reviews. The
engraving will be their name lasered into a pair of Fat Gripz made
specially for them. I know you are super busy like me so if you can
take 2 mins and write a review I would hugely appreciate it.

Have a great rest of your day,

Matt

P.S. Here are links to the Amazon pages:
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
I'm sorry to hear. We stand behind our 100% satisfaction guarantee, just return them. Thanks.
on November 15, 2013
These Fat Gripz seem pretty awesome so far. As others have said, they do make it harder to lift and you need to lower the weight when starting out.

My only gripe with these is that they do not fit on my Power Blocks. The are about .5 inches (maybe even less) too long to fit inside the blocks inner dimensions. I am contemplating cutting them down to fit inside the blocks.

Overall, I recommend these Fat Gripz.

UPDATED 2/8/14 - THEY NOW FIT IN MY POWERBLOCKS

As mentioned, I decided to cut these grips down to size. The Gripz are SOOOO close to fitting inside the Power Blocks, that I could almost probably just sand the edges a little and it would be good to go. However, I decided to use a saw instead.

Here are my thoughts on cutting these down to fit in power blocks.....they make for a VERY tight fit. I can imagine this will not work for everyone. I am 6"1 and have very big/long hands, however, they are not very thick. So while I can fit my hand inside the powerblocks, my wrist and fingers are pressing against the bars inside the power blocks. Most will find this unpleasant, however, I actually like it a lot better because it keeps the blocks from swinging around....and that is something I always did not like about the power blocks anyway.

Other than the power block bars themselves pressing against my fingers and hand slightly, the gripz when used with the power blocks feels AMAZING!

If anyone is willing to try, I suggest using a box cutter instead of a saw. The saw makes for a sloppy edge that I had to sand down. I think a box cutter will make a much nicer cut. Just be careful if you decide to go any route.

I still need more time to work out with them inside the power blocks. Ill update my post in a few weeks.

Another thing to mention is the gripz do not fully close around the inside grip bar of the power block because it is thicker than a standard dumbbell bar. So just be careful about this.

I will also post some pictures of the cut I made and pictures of how they fit inside the power blocks.

Hope this helps!
review image review image review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 18, 2013
My results have been OK. But nothing great.
It's nice to have the product just to change things up a bit.
It's a very well made product... very durable.
but reading some of these other reviews, you'd think these things were the second coming of Jesus.
I have to believe there's a large amount of marketing hype here.
I wouldn't go so far as to say there is fraud occurring here, but man, I've got to wonder...
And $37 bucks is a lot of money for these things.
I've been lifting most of my adult life. and let's face it.. there's a lot of snake oil shucksters in the business of bodybuilding.
Having had a chance to use them and see what impact they've had on my arms, I'd doubt I'd buy them again if I lost this pair.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Mikel, I'm sorry to hear they were not for you. We stand behind our 100% satisfaction guarantee, just return them. Thanks.
on August 13, 2014
After a lot of trips to the gym with very little forearm progress I sat down and did some research. Turns out the best way to train your forearms is to increase the diameter of the bar you grip. Fat grips are an inexpensive way to turn your ENTIRE workout into a forearm workout.

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING SIDE AFFECTS MAY OCCUR.

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LIFT AS MUCH.
YOUR FOREARMS WILL BURN.
YOU WILL BARELY BE ABLE TO TYPE FOR WEEKS AT A TIME.
YOU MAY ATTRACT ADDITIONAL ATTENTION FROM THE OPPOSITE SEX WHEN YOU ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES.
YOUR COWORKERS MAY GET TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT FAT GRIPZ.
YOU WILL NOT GET TIRED OF TALKING ABOUT FAT GRIPZ.
YOU WILL HAVE DIFFICULTY WASHING YOUR HAIR.
YOU WILL HAVE DIFFICULTY GETTING OUT OF YOUR CAR.
YOU WILL HAVE DIFFICULTY CARRYING GROCERIES.
YOU WILL HAVE DIFFICULTY WRITING THIS REVIEW.
on June 13, 2013
After some military injuries I hadn't worked out in a while. I had finally gotten my pullups up to 8-10 reps when I decided to try these. My pullups dropped down to 3-4. After a month or so, they are back up to 10 with the grips, and 16-18 without the grips! Similar experiences with bent rows and curls. Good product, but you have to stay consistent as with any exercise program.

I should add that they do not fit well around most home gym bars, since the girth of the bars are thinner. Makes lifting feel a little less safe and I tend to grip harder to make sure the bar doesn't spin around in my hands. I don't know if they really would - haven't had any issues with this.

Finally, if you do a lot of computer work, you may find your forearms and hands getting fatigued from constant mouse clicking or tablet / stylus work. After 2-3 weeks, it got better but I did feel overall weakness in my forearms and hands from long hours in front of the keyboard and Wacom tablet.
on January 9, 2014
These grips work as intended, just be careful of where you leave them. These thing stink and leave your hands smelling liike @$$. I would advise carrying some hand cleaner for when your done.
on July 1, 2013
Hard to believe that these two thick rubber grip sleeves can make that much of a difference in the recruitment of forearm muscle fibers, but after only one use they absolutely torched my forearms beyond anything else -- even forearm specific targeted exercises. Today I did six sets of pull-ups, rotating my grip with each set, and four sets of alternating dumbbell curls. A few hours later I could barely hold on to the full laundry basket as I made my way up the stairs! I suffer from strong but skinny forearms (and upper arms for that matter). I was intrigued when I read that there is little to no way that you can build up sizeable biceps without building up forearm strength and size -- something to do with the body being programmed to stay in proportion. So you can't have one without the other to any big degree. Another interesting thing is that on certain exercises such as pull-ups, the Fat Gripz have a tendency to want to rotate around the bar which slowly causes you to lose leverage and can end your set prematurely. I certainly thought at first that this was a major flaw and shortcoming. However, I realize now that in order to minimize or totally prevent the rotation you must grip them like a vice. And here is where that extra bit of squeeze pushes the muscle to extremes. I haven't used them long enough to say definitively if they will contribute to size and strength gains, but I have no logical reason to think that they won't. Clearly other reviewers are saying that they can and should unlock your true potential if you have been stuck on a plateau. They are seemingly expensive (dinged them one star) for some dense foam rubber, but I say most likely worth it in the long run. I am now using them on all my exercises including bench, rows, dips and many others. Time will only tell and I will report back in the future.