Fat Head
Format: DVDChange
Price:$19.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 7, 2009
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This movie is funny and entertaining and amazingly informative. It has so many pieces of useful advice that it's hard to catch them all. Furthermore, it passes along this information in a way that got my wife's attention in a way that I hadn't been able to.

A year and a half ago I was 35 pounds overweight. I ate like the standard American. I finally decided to do something about it so I did some research on the Internet, trying to focus on the science-based research. Following the advice that I found, I lost that weight in 4 months and have kept it off ever since by continuing to follow the advice. This movie captured the basic idea of all that research: low fat is bad for you, low cholesterol is worse than high cholesterol for most people, don't eat high carb food.

He does the best job I've ever seen at disproving the lipid hypothesis which nearly every doctor and media outlet promote: 1) Eating high fat foods give you high cholesterol. 2) High cholesterol leads to heart disease. Well, he makes it really clear that both of these statements are false. It's shocking to anyone who has been fed these lines (lies) for year. He explains all of this in a simplified manner that is within reach of everyone.

The other points that he make extremely well relate to what it is that actually does cause heart disease and what we should do and eat in order to minimize our risk of getting it. Again, he's funny and informative. It's hard to believe that this combination can exist when talking about nutrition, but he does it.

I added this to my library so that I can heartily recommend it to my family and friends. I read (and loved) "Protein Power" by Eades & Eades, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Taubes, and the "Great Cholesterol Con" by Kendrick but not everyone is going to spend the time and effort to get through these books. However, this movie presents the highlights of these books in 100 easy-to-watch minutes. If you are intrigued after watching this movie, then I highly recommend those books. And if you were not intrigued, then you weren't paying attention. ;)
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2011
Format: DVD
Some background on myself and my experiences before I review this: I'm 22, male, used to be overweight. I jumped from diet to diet misguided by my "research" that came from the USDA and other bureaucratic organizations promoting the agricultural commodities and vegan agenda. Finally, I am fit because I ultimately discovered the right dieting mix that emphasizes lots of protein (which comes with fat) along with fruits and vegetables. I try to avoid grains and starches, and I feel a ton better because of it. Bran, granola, and other "healthy low-fat" foods made me sick as a dog, overweight, and drained of energy. Despite careful deliberate dieting, I kept failing to my frustration because I was grossly misinformed.

It seems political correction has plagued our society on every level. Diets have become a subject overrun by PC advocates. "Animal fats are bad... why would you want to eat animals anyway?!?! McDonald's and other fast food organizations are bad... they make our children fat. Eat grains, soybeans, and bran. They're good for you and will help you lose weight!!!" Even if we don't believe such statements, it finds its way into our subconscious which is what the bureaucrats want. And when we follow these suggestions on a whole as society, we suddenly have epidemics of diabetes, obesity, depression, and other disorders. It's obvious the vegan-inspired pro-grain diet has failed and made things worse. The bureaucrats had to find a way to divert blame: direct hatred and blame towards fast food and continue to promote the pro-grain pro-vegan agenda. Fast food is by no means the healthiest food choice out there, but it cannot be held responsible for the obesity epidemic. It's a widespread misconception: fat=unhealthy, skinny= healthy. That cannot be farther from the truth. Thin people have heart problems if their diet sucks just like a fat person. Heart disease is not tied to obesity either.

There are far greater evils contributing to the obesity problem: sedentary lifestyles, grain/starch-based diets, misinformation provided to the public... blaming fast food for obesity is like blaming Canada for the Cold War. The relationship does not make so much sense when there are obvious culprits elsewhere that we are trained to overlook. This guy did after all lose a significant amount of weight eating at McDonald's... so while McDonald's may not be "healthy" it cannot be blamed for obesity. One must also consider that when he ate at McDonald's, he avoided carbohydrates and sugars (getting a hamburger with no bun, for example, and avoiding the fries). He aimed at ordering high fat/protein, low-carb options on the McDonald's menu. In other words, we only get fat at McDonald's when we support the agricultural commodity products that come from wheat and potatoes, which the USDA encourages us to consume heavily.

It's sickening that politicians will go to such extremes to misguide us and lead us off a cliff. In a hypocritical manner, they will blame corporations for being greedy at the expense of the public when in fact they are the ones trying to channel funds towards themselves and their cronies, while screwing the misguided public and feeding them myths.

This guy makes some very strong points. He can be strange at times... his humor can be a little corny. But it's impossible to ignore his analysis and arguments. I recommend viewing this because it may change your perspective on why we never win the obesity fight.

***UPDATE*** September 2011

I've been refining my diet a little bit and I want to share some new information. This past month I finally made a decision to completely remove ALL grains and refined sugar from my diet: no wheat, rice, bran, quinoa, sugar, etc. My only sources of carbs: blueberries, carrots, spinach, and broccoli... and some fruit here and there too. I also ate about three eggs each day cooked in butter each morning, and that keeps me from being hungry for five hours. For my 2pm lunch and 6pm dinner, I would eat a turkey burger wrapped in lettuce, spinach, tomato, and onions with some cheese. Some days I would have zucchini spaghetti with marinara and mozzarella. My caloric intake was surprisingly low despite my fat intake; about 1600 calories but I was never hungry.

My results were fantastic! Even though I ate no cereal, sugar, or "healthy" grain carbs, I had steady energy levels that did not bounce and crash. Critics say Atkins dieters crash a lot, but I think this is only because Atkins dieters forget to eat carbs in the form of blueberries, broccoli, carrots, and other low glycemic vegetables and fruits. I am doing a hardcore plyometric 2-month workout program called Insanity and I have more than enough energy to push through. I lost 8 pounds in just three and a half weeks. My body fat is dropping, and finally I am getting a noticeable six pack. I've been breaking all the politically correct rules of dieting, and it is paying off amazingly.

To summarize my advice, BE COMMITTED! You can't eat what you are supposed to eat WHILE eating what you're NOT supposed to eat. This diet is not an excuse to go all out and eat steak and eggs WHILE eating sugary crap. This takes work, and the "Fat Head" diet is not easy. I realized sugar and starches are like crack. They are addicting because they give short boosts of energy and when you crash, you want more. It takes a good week or two before the sugary Starbucks drinks or sodas look unappealing. I can't drink soda or sugary coffee anymore, it just doesn't taste good as it used to (black coffee is a great-tasting drink once you acquire the palette for it). When you get to that point, you will know you're eating right. You'll probably have to go cold turkey on the sugary crap. You're body will learn it does not like it.

You have to exercise in some form too. Our body is not designed to be sedentary for an entire day.

My last tip: Be sensible. Don't go crazy on the fat and use it as an excuse. Still monitor your calories and don't eat half a pound of cheddar cheese a day along with eight eggs. You might also find some foods are not for you. For example, soft cheeses make me gain weight. It's probably because the sodium makes me retain water, so I just don't eat it (there's little nutritional value in soft cheeses anyway). Butter, eggs, and almonds however, no problem! Buy a scale and measure your progress on a daily basis. Trends over just three days can give you early warning that what you are eating may not be working.

And finally, my disclaimer: This has worked for me, I don't know if this will work for everybody. I can't say one shoe size fits all, but if every other diet has failed you might want to give the "Fat Head" diet a chance.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2009
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
"Fat Head" is simultaneously a send-up of Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" and an expose' on the state of nutrition "science". Using humor and Pythonesque cartoons, Tom Naughton does a good job of tipping many sacred cows on the topic of nutrition, showing how the government, media, and special interests combined to yield the current situation: people are eating what's supposedly "healthy", yet are developing metabolic diseases like diabetes at an alarming and increasing rate.

The core premise of the movie is to revisit "Supersize Me", where Spurlock supposedly showed the evils of fast food by eating nothing but McDonald's for a month. Spurlock gained 25 pounds, was issued a variety of dire health warnings by his doctor, etc. Naughton turns this idea on it's head: he also ate only fast food for a month, but used his "functioning brain". Rather than just blindly eating whatever was available, he avoided those foods which science has shown contribute to metabolic problems like obesity, including sodas, french fries, too much bread, etc. The result? Eating nothing but double Big Macs and the like, he lost over 12 pounds in 28 days and his cholesterol went down. The expression on his doctor's face alone is worth the price of the DVD.

"Fat Head" is very funny and discusses the science of fat gain and loss in an manner which is easily understood. My kids (8 and 4) watched it with me, and they "got it". Get a copy and share it with your friends and family.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 17, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Review from WIlliam Cory, Author: Maybe You Should Write A Magazine!: Complete Guide: How to Write, Lay Out, Publish and Profit from Regional Special-Interest Magazines

I'd give this movie TEN stars if I could!

If you've seen "Supersize Me!," you MUST see this movie. "Fat Head," the movie, offers real science. Also, it does it without barfing. And, Tom (Our Hero) loses weight, and lowers cholesterol and overall bodyfat after one month of eating fast food! Of course, this astounds his doctor, who is shown confirming all of these losses in the film.

What's behind all this? Tom Noughton, the independent writer/producer/director/eater of the film, was considering a project about the diet habits of Americans and our obese-ness as a society. (Actually, only so if we go by US Gov't BMI statistics, which would have shown Ahnolt the Terminator to be obese the years he won Mr. Everything Muscly.) Anyway, while doing research, Tom viewed "Supersize Me!" and came away doubting that it was all completely true.

He decided to do just about the same thing that Morgan Spurlock did in "Supersize," with only a couple of adjustments. He would eat every meal at a fast food restaurant for a month, but he would not voluntarily gorge himself by robotically agreeing to buy "fries with that," or "supersizing, maximizing," or otherwising the carbohydrate (sugar, starch, white flour) "extras" he was offered. Also, he normally removed half the bun from his breakfast sandwiches and cheeseburgers, rejected fries, and only drank diet soft drinks and tea. He kept a complete record of everything he ate, and published it online (at his blog site [...] which is something nobody has been able to get Spurlock to do.

Noughton lost pounds while eating fast food, lowered his blood pressure, and lost body fat.

And guess what: MY FAMILY HAS DONE EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!! IN ONE MONTH!!! Ten pounds off me, three pounds off my daughter, and ten pounds off my wife (who has been trying for two years to lose ten pounds.) Nope, it ain't a diet. Nope, it ain't starvation. It's just the same thing Our Hero Tom did in his movie, which you will probably not believe: We INCREASED saturated and animal fats in our diets, CUT CARBS to 50 to 100g per day, kept daily calories at about 2000 or less, did not exercise additionally, and enjoyed every minute of the nice long-lasting satisfied feeling a small meal provides when it's not made up of a third of the government-suggested 300g of carbs per day. Also, my blood pressure is down. We all feel great.

This is the best non-diet eating thing I have ever discovered, and I can once again cook with coconut oil!

The info in movie could improve the health and eating habits of MILLIONS of Americans. It has already done it for MY family!

Watch the movie! Not only is it good for you, it's genuinely entertaining!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Bill
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: DVD
If I've heard it once, I've heard it over and over again since I first started writing about the healthy low-carb lifestyle in 2004 after losing 180 pounds on the Atkins diet-when will we EVER get the positive message of livin' la vida low-carb out into the mainstream of American and worldwide conscience? It's a very good question and my response has generally been that it will likely happen on the grassroots level through people telling their circle of influence the truth about nutrition and health. But this new project from Tom Naughton called FAT HEAD has stepped forward to arm low-carbers with a fun and exciting documentary film that can educate and entertain at the same time.

It is being marketed as an "anti-Supersize Me" response film that challenges Morgan Spurlock's assertion that he got fat and deathly ill from eating at McDonald's for 30 days. The math just doesn't add up as Naughton so beautifully details in his creative and witty film. These kind of facts are quite typical of what you'll see in this movie along with a healthy dose of truth, justice, and the American w...errr, I mean, just the facts about healthy low-carb nutrition.

Naughton features commentary and information from low-carb experts like Drs. Mike and Mary Dan Eades, Gary Taubes, Dr. Al Sears, Dr. Eric Oliver, Mary Enig, Sally Fallon, Uffe Ravnskov, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, and others who give the proper historical context for why obesity seems to be getting worse by the day-it's the low-fat, calorie-restricted, high-carb diets that have been pushed on us for decades since Ancel Keys and his buddies on Capital Hill led by George McGovern in the 1970s made the official American policy on diet. Naughton cleverly demonstrates this in his film with the use of hilarious Monty Python-type of gimmickry and animation.

I had the privilege of interviewing Tom Naughton about FAT HEAD on my podcast called "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" (available for FREE on iTunes) where you'll hear what it was like working behind-the-scenes on a documentary film for a first-time filmmaker, why the premise of Supersize Me is severely flawed, how the REAL reason why obesity is totally missed (insulin and carbs, not fat intake), and the surprising early success of the film being shown in Israel. This is arguably one of the most entertaining podcasts I've ever conducted, so I hope you get a chance to listen to it and then get your own copy of the FAT HEAD DVD for your personal collection. It is THE low-carb event of 2009!

Do yourself a BIG FAVOR and pick up several copies of FAT HEAD to spread the message of the healthy low-carb lifestyle and personal responsibility to the masses. If you care about healthy living and the TRUTH about it, then that's exactly what Tom Naughton delivers to you on a silver platter! THANKS so much for all of your hard work and efforts to present the facts, Tom. So many people will get educated while being thoroughly entertained by your film.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2009
Format: DVD
I've been an avid follower of the low-fat diet craze ever since I started yo-yo dieting in college. After having my son 2 years ago, I was over 215lbs, so I turned to cutting calories and, in August 2008, I started Nutrisystem.

I've lost over 73lbs so far, but after seeing "Fat Head", I'm finally seeing the facts of low-carb diets and I'm off the Nutrisystem wagon. "Fat Head" is a funny and immensely informational documentary that goes into the "bologna" of the low-fat diet craze. Like many people in the US, we're told that fat (especially animal fat) is bad and should be avoided at all costs. Instead, have a piece of bread or a bowl of Special K. "Bologna" says Tom and I believe him!

My father died a few years ago from a heart attack at 55. He went on Atkins about 5 years prior and I remember comments afterwards like "there's no telling what that diet did to his system." Since I can remember though, my father also liked his large share of carbs and battled his love of food and his desire to lose that last stubborn 30lbs. After seeing "Fat Head", I can only now assume that all of those carbs he loved so much were the real culprit behind his heart disease- not the fact that he was on Atkins for 6 months.

Thank you Tom for making me see the light at 29, while I still have time to start making changes that will help insure I see 56.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2009
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This is a terrific little movie that, among other things, is the perfect antidote to the very misleading and over-praised Morgan Spurlock film "Supersize Me" . Naughton, in a very clever and funny way, performs a real service here, setting the record straight on how we have all been sold a bill-of-goods regarding what constitutes proper nutrition. In the process, he exposes the Low Fat advice as the load of bologna that it is, and strikes a blow for freedom of choice at the same time.

Funny and smart, you'll be hard pressed to spend a more enlightening 100 minutes, and you'll come away with more practical knowledge than a whole college course in "convential " nutrition.

Ronald McDonald is not your enemy, but "the guy from CSPI" just might be.
on April 22, 2009
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Well, I'll not rehash what has been so thoroughly highlighted in these other great reviews. I agree with all of it.

There's two things in particular for me, the first of which is that I've now watched this four times and have yet to tire of it. The first was on my own, and the last three were screenings for friends and family.

Second is that so far, everyone has been unanimous in their resounding enthusiasm and amazement. This is the thing to have if you're trying to get someone to use their own "functioning brain" with respect to modern nutritional advice.

I also appreciated Tom's evolutionary approach to diet on a level of principle. So, rather than focus on low carb, he focusses on what we evolved to eat, and low carb is a consequence.

I have lost 50 pounds myself and have documented the whole process on my blog FreetheAnimal.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 5, 2009
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
That's one important message of the film -- how misled we've been if we've followed the dictates of Washington agencies in choosing our foods, from where (and why) those dictates originated and how difficult it is to change them. That makes this film sound dull, though, and that's far from the case. My husband and I have watched it three times (so far) and have enjoyed each viewing immensely, laughing and learning each time through. We didn't need convincing, but Tom Naughton has certainly validated our choice of a low-carb, high protein and animal fat diet, begun six years ago, on which we've lost weight and maintained the loss, and enjoy very high-activity lives in excellent health (I'm 72; my husband is 81). That the film is so witty, entertaining and pleasurable to watch is the side issue, however. That it just may change your health and your life is what's important, and why I'm ordering four more copies today, to give to family and friends. Thank you, Tom!
Format: DVD
Fat Head does what Super Size Me failed to do; it entertained its audience, yes, but not at the expense of getting out its message. And the message is clear: we've been duped and had the wool pulled over our eyes for too long concerning nutrition in America. I was already familiar with the material prior to viewing this movie as I have read many, many books on the topic, but Naughton uses fabulous visuals that help to elucidate the finer points and clarify some of the muddier issues. Make no mistake, Tom Naughton is super smart as well as funny, and he has solicited the help of some of the best minds in the field of nutrition and medicine to show the public where Morgan Spurlock went horribly wrong in his conclusions. A must see film, and one that should be distributed to every library in the nation. I recommend it highly. Good Calories, Bad Calories(book) by Gary Taubes is a great companion piece to the film as it presents a lot of the scientific data that the film uses to make its points.