5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, funny, fun
Published 21 months ago by Phil Clapham

2.0 out of 5 stars So-so
At first it looked like a funny Movie from the trailer. But....all the good jokes at in the trailer.
The pacing is kind of slow and it was hard to stay with it. I was gonna buy it but dictated to check it out first
//ffilms.org/fat-kid-rules-the-world-2012/
The ending left me feeling I just wasted 99:18 of my life that I could never get back
Bottom...
Published 4 months ago by audio guy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, funny, fun, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
Full disclosure: Billy Campbell is a friend of ours, and we probably wouldn't have seen this little indie film had he not dragged us (admittedly, not kicking and screaming) to the opening at the Seattle Film Festival. But I'm very glad he did... it's a delight. It is at various points funny, smart, charming and touching, with surprisingly in-depth performances from the younger cast (and a wonderfully nuanced performance by Billy C as the father). It chronicles the initially depressing life of an overweight high school kid who is befriended (and essentially used) by a young ne'er-do-well, and recruited by same into a rock band even though he has no musical experience (so, of course, he drums). The film resists the temptation to provide a Hollywood-style formulaic story and a sappy, happy ending. However, the last scene gives us hope for the Fat Kid's future, and is sufficiently exuberant that it will leave you smiling, and probably feeling good about life in general.

I have never seen a movie get quite the reception that this one did at the Film festival: people were on their feet cheering at the end. Billy Campbell said that, in all his years in the business, he's never been prouder of a film than this one. That should tell you a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T MISS OUT, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
I have been wanting to see this movie since i heard about it about a year ago and it did not dissapoint the story is so good the acting is top notch Matthew Lillard very impressive directorial debut. do your self a favor watch this it needs more attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Week Later You will still be Smiling and Thinking about "Fat Kid", October 25, 2012
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
An amazing movie that stays with one--everything about this gem is simply superb--a MUST SEE--It is compelling --Can easily see how it won at South by Southwest!!! Simply Brilliant!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as Good as the Book, August 2, 2013
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
I've been recommending this novel to my students for about three years, and was delighted to find out that there was a movie version. I was even more delighted to discover that the movie is every bit as well-done as the book. The acting is thoroughly believable, the casting is perfect, and it follows the plot of the book almost exactly, with a few, well thought-out concessions to the film medium here and there.

My only complaint is that I can't show the film to anyone younger than 17. There is a VERY brief scene of a girl in a wet, semi-transparent shirt, and, ridiculously enough, this earned the film an "R" rating. There is no reason why this brief scene could not have been left on the cutting room floor, since it adds exactly nothing to the plot, but I guess the producers thought it would make them more money or something. Big mistake, because they effectively eliminated as customers the exact section of the population who would most enjoy this otherwise excellent film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 16, 2013
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
Doesn't match the book exactly -- Curt becomes Marcus, Rage Tectonic becomes The Tectonics, the plant becomes a stuffed frog, New York - Seattle, Troy doesn't already know punk and Curt's band, a love interest is added, Troy's not so concerned about being laughed at, etc. but overall the film does a great job maintaining the spirit of the book and is really very good. The performances are super strong and at every turn I found myself impressed with the restrain of the filmmakers and performers - it never slips into a stock teen / commercial feel and always feels real and authentic. Really charming and well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE KEY TO DRUMMING IS TO HIT HARD, April 28, 2013
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
Troy (Jacob Wysocki) is the school fat kid. He is not bullied, but is alone and isolated. Marcus (Matt O'Leary) is the cool kid who likes drugs and plays in a punk band. He has been expelled and is living in the street. After a brief run in with Troy they become friends as Marcus apparently uses Troy. Troy realizes this but uses Marcus as his contact to the outside world, as twisted as it may be. Troy's father is an ex-Marine (Billy Campbell) and neither one of them has come to terms with the death of the mother. Dad is torn between his natural Marine protective instincts and needing to let go as a trusting parent.

This film is classified as a comedy but is more of an indie light drama. The comedy aspect is sometimes obscure as when our fat kid imagines killing himself by stepping in front of a bus...a bus that has an ad on its side for "Fat-Away." Or when we see him reading the book "Lord of the Flies" a tale in which the fat kid is bullied to death.

The film is well acted. It is heart warming while not being drippy. It may not make you laugh, but it will make you smile. A great indie film. How it got into my local Redbox is a mystery.

Parental Guide: 1 f-bomb near the end. No sex, but people undressing for sex. Rear male nudity. See-through wet blouse. Masturbation scene. All these scenes were brief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Punk Rock!, March 12, 2013
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
This is a great film, especially if you're into rock or punk themed flicks. For everyone who's felt a little different, and needed some push to find their niche... This is a movie for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 24, 2013
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
great neat good super awesome good excellent .it was wonderful surprise delightful summer of fun.like as fun as a pearl jam show

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
I'll be honest, the first time I saw this movie was during a premier of it at my work (so I technically got paid to see it) but I loved it so much I bought it ecstatically when I found out it was being released on DVD. It was also filmed at a school I was also working at, so I have a lot of emotional ties to it. But my husband also loves it and he's all about the high quality action packed films so you can see how awesome this movie would have to be in order for that to happen. Thank you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun movie, February 7, 2013
This review is from: Fat Kid Rules the World (DVD)
This is a good movie that I highly recommend, however, the book is a hundred times better! It's on my top five list.

Fat Kid Rules the World
Fat Kid Rules the World by Matthew Lillard (DVD - 2013)
$14.99 $5.29