1,620 Reviews
 (1,310)

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my attention
Published on June 5, 2011 by S. Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
On the surface, the film almost seems like an infomercial, as for its first half it follows Cross on a trek to America, to go on a 60 day juice fast. That is, the fortysomething Cross, who weighed in at over 300 pounds, at the start of the documentary, decides to end his years of dependency on steroids and medicines, to treat an autoimmune deficiency, as well as his...
Published 22 months ago by Cosmoetica

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my attention, June 5, 2011
S. Young (OH United States) - See all my reviews
I was so inspired after watching this movie I pulled my juicer out of the closet and I'm heading to Whole Foods today to pick up some good veggies and fruits. OK, I'm not overweight by hundreds of pounds or much less even fifty but I constantly battle with my weight going up and down 20-30 pounds. When I lose the weight I always feel so great but inevitably real life sets in and I find myself reaching for the wrong foods. Just to watch the weight loss of these two guys, Joe who made the documentary and Phil whom Joe met on his path across America during his 60 day juice fast, and seeing their life transform was amazing. Of course I realize that a juice fast may take the weight off and then after the fact I am left with the daily choices again but I really need to make a change for good this time because when the weight creeps up so does my blood pressure and I do not want to end up on medication.
So I am trying the 10 day fast and at the same time I am going to overhaul just how I eat in general. I already know I can lose weight with lowering my carb intake so I am going to combine that with working some raw foods into my daily living after I do the fast. I will report back in about two weeks.

UPDATE! This is one week after I started and as Joe says in the movie: "Hang on to your pineapples", LOL! I lost 9 pounds so far! Woohoo! First I want to point out that I know to be cautious of rapid weight loss. I also want to point out that I found the Reboot site after going to the movie's website and they give you instructions on how to do the diet. They have different diets and after you answer a few short questions it tells you which program may be best for you. I opted for the entry which is not juice only but you also eat raw veggies and fruit and they have recipes. There are other programs where you alternate juicing alone with juicing and raw veggies/fruit. You can join the community and there is a nutritionist and other members who answer your questions or just post progress, suggestions, or questions. (And no it does not cost to join :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Our Lives, April 9, 2011
This review is from: Fat Sick & Nearly Dead (DVD)
Joe Cross, our hero in "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", an inspiring documentary, is both overweight and has a serious medical problem to boot --- an auto-immune disease that requires 15 milligrams a day of Prednisone. That dosage guarantees long-term adverse side effects.

Although his physical challenges are serious, if not dire, Cross is a successful businessman. Facing progressive deterioration of his health, he decides to aggressively address his compromised vitality, and has the financial wherewithal to do so. Cross leaves his Australian home and business for the United States --- his "home away from home" --- and goes on a physician-supervised 2-month juice fast. He spends 30 days in New York City, and the second 30 days travelling by road from East to West.

Along the way he talks to people everywhere he goes, promoting the virtues of juice fasting. Two of the folks he meets are moved to join him. The first, a woman who suffers from migraines also suffers the juice fast, but finds non-pharmaceutical relief from her debilitating attacks and integrates juicing raw fruits and vegetables into her life. The second is Phil, a truck driver Cross meets at a truck stop. This is the first person Cross has met in his life who shares his precise diagnosis. Phil, who weighs over 300 pounds, initially refuses Cross' help, and that's that.

About 50 minutes into the film Joe Cross is all better. He's back home and back at work in Australia, living his newly-minted lifestyle, off of Prednisone. Wait! I'm confused. It's too soon in this movie for our hero to have banished his adversary. Aha! Cross listens to his U.S.-based message service and hears a message from Phil. Help!

I gotta tell you, this is story-telling at its finest. Life sometimes emulates great screenwriting. Joe Cross immediately flies back to his home away from home, and supports Phil in doing just a 10-day juice fast which quickly leads to a complete lifestyle change for Phil Riverstone. He loses a massive amount of weight, starts excercising, stops driving trucks, and leads groups at his local health-food store in incorporating juice fasts into their lives --- kinda like the good twin of The Who's "Tommy".

Joe Cross' charming personality and Phil Riverstone's jaw-dropping transformation could not be more inspiring. So, caution, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" may be good for your health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, very well done. Joe Cross seems like a very genuine person., December 14, 2011
This is from his reboot website. I did not have to pay a dime to join or get these. I'll post for all to enjoy.

Juice Recipes
ABCs
2 Asian pears
2 Apples (Choose any variety!)
2 Carrots
1 cup Cabbage (choose any variety!)
6 handfuls Chard 3 cups

Fiber: 4 g

Apple-Carrot-Beet
4 Carrots
6 leaves swiss chard - 1.5 cup
1" ginger root (1 tablespoon)

Calories: 300

4 Carrots, stems removed
1/2-1 Apple, seeded
1/2 Celeriac root
1 Beet
1/4 inch slice Ginger root (optional)

Calories: 285

1 Green Apple
3 handfuls Spinach
6-8 Kale leaves
4 large Carrots
1 piece Ginger (thumb size)

Calories: 280

Gazpacho Juice
4 Plum Tomatoes
1 large Cucumber
2 stalks Celery
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/4 small Red Onion
2 cups Parsley, leaves and stems, roughly chopped
and packed into the measuring cup

Calories: 250
Protein: 12 g

Great Green Fruity Mix
2 cups Beet Greens, Red Swiss Chard, Kale, Spinach or a combination,
roughly chopped and packed into the measuring cup
1/2 Comice Pear

3 large Red Beets
2 medium Carrots
2 stalks Celery
4 Plum Tomatoes
4 cups Parsley, leaves and stems, roughly chopped and packed into the measuring cup
1 Jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
12 Red Radishes

Calories: 340
Protein: 17 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic story, December 9, 2010
Brian C. (Santa Cruz, CA) - See all my reviews
I was fortunate enough to be at the premiere screening at the Sonoma Film Festival this year.
The film is about Joe Cross, a businessman from Australia who's health was absolutely in shambles. He had a rare autoimmune disease and was in regular pain and had to take multiple medications to counteract the symptoms. He finally decided enough time was already wasted on treating symptoms and he wanted to treat the cause. He decided to take a 60 day tour of the US (30 in NYC and 30 spread throughout the rest of the country) to reboot his body and immune system with nothing but raw vegetables in juice form.
Joe's story alone was moving enough, but in Arizona Joe met Phil, a truck driver with the same autoimmune disease and even heaver than Joe had ever been. This is really the point where the story took a fantastic turn. Joe realized this film isn't just about him becoming healthy, its about educating people to how important simple nutrients are.
I highly recommend seeing this film. Even if you don't follow Joe's methods for juicing and rebooting, it still creates a great drive to be more conscious of the quality of fuel we put in our bodies every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Title does no justice, May 29, 2011
This is simply one of the BEST documentaries out right now. If you really want to see how eating the right foods can change your life then this is the movie for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, October 10, 2011
This video has trully changed my life. I am an overweight fibromyalgea depressed vegetable hating 47 year old woman. Since watching this 4 weeks ago, I have lost 20 lbs, off 3 medications now and actually crave vegetables. I share the information from the video with everyone I know! .... A must own video!

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Inspirational and Funny!, February 12, 2011
Joe Cross is from Australia, is extremely interesting (you have to love his accent) and is a total inspiration. When he decides to try juice fasting he is 310 lbs and suffering from a serious autoimmune disease. This is the story of how he cures himself by drinking only fruit and vegetable juices for sixty days.

This is the perfect video to watch if you want to learn how to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time. It would also be excellent for anyone suffering from depression, sleep apnea, cancer or migraine headaches. If you have ever had a stroke or a heart attack the information in this movie might save your life.

While the story of Joe is incredible and he has the body to prove it, the story of Phil is also very inspirational. When I saw him running near the end of the movie and realized how much weight he lost I was close to tears.

What is also very entertaining throughout the movie are the people who are either totally honest about their situation or have willpower issues. These are people Joe and Phil meet and many of them are inspired to try the fasting process. One person, Phil's brother, actually has a heart attack during the filming of this movie and it is a true wake-up call.

If you need more motivation to get this movie also know that it has some incredibly funny moments. I literally laughed out loud numerous times. My husband who is watching it as I type is also laughing quite a bit. Immediately after I viewed this movie I told him he HAD to watch it. It is really that good.

Now the only thing I wish this movie had included was some juice recipes. I also didn't find any at the companion website. There is one that appears in a newspaper and if you hit pause you can write it down. Otherwise I'd suggest the following books that are about juicing or general health:

Juicing (Books I own and think you would love)

Ultimate Juicing: Delicious Recipes for Over 125 of the Best Fruit & Vegetable Juice Combinations

Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great : The Fastest Way to Restore Your Health - You really should read this book before going on a fast. There are dangers to not ending a fast properly which include having a heart attack. This is serious stuff so be careful. The movie doesn't give any cautions besides advising you to see your doctor before starting. Also, see my review of this book for a list of great juice recipe books!

The Juicing Bible

The Juice Fasting Bible: Discover the Power of an All-Juice Diet to Restore Good Health, Lose Weight and Increase Vitality

General Healthy Eating Books (Books I own and think you would love - reading up on various fruits and
vegetables can give you ideas about what to juice.)

The 200 SuperFoods That Will Save Your Life: A Complete Program to Live Younger, Longer

Superfoods

The World's Healthiest Foods, Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating

...and if you are looking for a reasonably priced juicer this is the one I have and it works great:

Black & Decker Fruit & Vegetable Juicer Extractor

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Great documentary for people with health issues or people looking for more info on eating RAW / Paleo, April 4, 2011
If you are interested in a more healthy lifestyle, or helping a friend or family member with health issues, you will find this documentary very helpful. If you think there's nothing wrong with drinking Redbulls and Coke, consuming Cheetos, breads, fried foods, and other toxic man-made junk, you will probably roll your eyes and not make it through the 1st 30 minutes.

This documentary is more in-depth and interesting than it's short, quirky title will have you believe. The main guy wanted to lose weight and get off the Rx medications he was taking. He goes on a raw-food juice fast while traveling across the US. He meets people along the way, talks to them about their diets, and helps a few lose weight. This documentary is almost the exact opposite of the one where the guy eats nothing but McDonald's food for a month and ruins his health.

His juice fast would be considered more of a "New World" diet than a "Paleo" diet, but I believe anything is better than the junk we consume. I constantly hear about people who have adopted a raw food diet of some sort, who were able to get off all of their meds. They also feel better, their skin clears up, their aches and pains subside, their hair stops falling out, their mood is more stable, they have more energy, and their skin gets a natural warm glow.

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie changed my life, May 9, 2011
This movie will change your life. I saw this movie 1 week ago. It really struck a cord with me, my health has been deteriorating as the weight has come on. I bought a juicer the day after watching this movie and began that evening. I juiced for breakfast and lunch for 3 days and had small dinners, and then have been on a juice fast for the last 3 days, and am going for 12 more. I have lost 1 inch and 12 lbs, but what is really miraculous is my energy and focus. Do your self a favor and seriously consider doing a juice fast and rebooting your system. One tip though, I bought a Breville juicer from Macy's, although it is a very high end juicer it is not the best one for the job. I will eventually be buying a Hurom slow juice extractor. Easier to clean, less pulp, and more nutrients. A bit more cash too, but when I make my 15 day mark its Ebay for the Breville and hello Hurom.

Aloha and good luck,

P.S be sure to Google Juice fasting and educate yourself, there are a lot of sites and great free recipes out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, December 8, 2010
This film was life changing and inspiring. If Phil, the trucker can change his life for the better, I can too. The film became real to me when Phil became the center of attention. His experience and his brother's heart attack were very powerful. This is a must see.

Fat Sick & Nearly Dead
Fat Sick & Nearly Dead by Fat Sick & Nearly Dead (DVD - 2011)
$19.99 $12.39