Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Perfect Paperback|Change

on February 13, 2008
I was blown away by the content in this book. The 51 Fatal Business Errors is more like a reference manual for successfully operating a profitable business. As someone who has started and run several different businesses, I only have time for practical, real-world advice and ideas. 51 Fatal Business Errors definitely delivers in that regard. I highly recommend this book for any business owner or anybody who wants to become one, while avoiding the many pitfalls too many of us have tended to make.
If you play golf, you know that you cannot stand over the ball and fill your head with all the possible bad shots you might hit and expect to hit a good shot. In performance you must focus on what you are trying to accomplish rather than on what you might do wrong. However, when not in active performance it is good to analyze your performance for weaknesses, mistakes, and all the details you might improve. This book is for those times.

Jim Muehlausen provides a book for small businessmen (and women), especially entrepreneurs, full of common mistakes that can prevent your success and actually lead to business failure. This book has 51 common business mistakes and most of us who have worked in business have seen most of them made at one time or another. Maybe we have made a few of them ourselves.

Each mistake is explained in a paragraph or two, a brief real life example is given, and a solution for the problem is offered. About half of the problems also have boldface paragraphs where the author really gets in your face about this problem. A few of these problems contain a bonus that you can view on the web.

The author offers a subscription web service to help you improve you business that is based on this book. You don't need to subscribe to benefit from this book, but I thought you should know that the author will try to sell you that service as your read this book.

The book deals with errors that have to do with hiring, organization, selling & marketing, how you lead, common worst practices, and the errors that flow from trying to be the only one in your company who can actually do anything and then blaming everyone else when things go wrong.

I like this book and you might benefit from it, too.

No, I did not subscribe to the service.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Ann Arbor, MI
on January 19, 2009
This mercifully brief management book is full of excellent observations on managing. These are presented in a humorous, easily readable style.

I once had a person tell me there are no new management ideas, only new people using them. This may be true. "The 51 Fatal Business Errors" is very helpful in presenting observations that are worth considering adding to your management "tool kit".

The book is well worth the price.
on September 5, 2012
The 51 Fatal Business Errors and How to Avoid Them

I have really been getting a lot out of the 51 errors.

This book was given to me by one of my EO Forum members and I read it from cover to cover that evening. I have since purchased copies for my friends and customers because the knowledge contained in this book is gold.

My assistant entered one error on my schedule every Monday for a year and I pull the book out and go over an error every week. It's really helped me to internalize the information and it helps me focus for the week...

Robert Peavey
President
PumpTex Inc.
EO Houston
on May 2, 2008
This guy gets it! In today's world, with changes coming at you at break-neck speed, most of us never take time to review our current business system from top to bottom. As Muelhausen points out in 51 Fatal Business Errors, there's a lot of land mines for an executive to avoid in order to take his company (or his department) to the levels that it should achieve. Spotting and defusing them before they do major damage is critical to achieving and maintaining success. The book makes it clear that it's not always about the new technology, a different management structure, or the latest products from R&D--sometimes its just removing a few negatives that are keeping us from reaching our goals.

I understand Muehlhausen uses this book as the basis for speeches he gives around the country. I'm looking forward to catching him when he comes to Atlanta.

Jim Deitz, The Franchise Doctor
on March 7, 2008
This is absolutely a must-read for any small business owner or emerging business CEO. Within a plethora of business books on the market, Muelhausen's book stands out due to its solution-oriented approach and effective application to real-life business situations. Most importantly, he succinctly tackles a variety of issues that many CEOs simply ignore or hope go away on their own. On issues that need a more in depth exploration, Muelhausen offers valuable (and free!) additional resources to help meet the challenges. This is a quick read that you will continue to pull off the shelf as concise user's manual for business success.
on March 21, 2008
Mr. Muehlhausen provides just the type of "down and dirty" material that a business person needs to grow their organization to the next level. The format lends itself to problem specific reading and the concise format makes it approachable. It's on my "Go-To" list of business books that I recommend to my peers and associates. Must read!
on October 27, 2011
The author unveils many solutions to the daily problems most small business owners and mid-sized company CEOs face daily. I enjoyed the simple format that leads reader through problem-solution-action pattern.
on October 10, 2009
This book is great! Simply written, it isn't full of fluff to sift through. The "51 Errors" are simply, yet directly stated, solutions are given, followed by real life examples.

Though some readers may first think these "51 Errors" should be clear and evident to all readers, especially business owners, it is ONLY when they taken ACTION to correct these "errors" that matter. Action means CHANGE. Most people fear change and find it a difficult hill to climb. They find it easier to succumb to just staying where they are as long as they are keeping their nostrils peeking above the water. However, if you want to grow your company, change will be necessary. If you put forth the effort to make the necessary changes to these "51 Errors" in this book, it will lead you to growth and success..
on May 18, 2009
This is a good recap of everything you learned in MBA school except for the parts about not being so wrapped up in being an MBA that you forget how to run your business. There were some obviously hard-learned lessons by actual business owners in this easy-to-read volume, and they were the most interesting parts -- making the lessons much easier to remember and actuate. The author isn't afraid to call it as he sees it, and tell the reader to set aside his or her own beliefs in order to operate at a higher, and more profitable, level. Can't beat that logic. Buy this book and read it. But don't stop there. Put a few of the strategies into action and watch your results improve.