5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book
Published on April 30, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny Read
My daughter read this first and recommended it to me. I like the fact it was not gruesome and it avoided a lot of unneeded details. I read it pretty quick and I would recommend it to any YA. It's an age appropriate book, parents, feel good about letting your teenager read this.
Published on November 16, 2008 by Annette

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book Totally Better Than Expected, June 30, 2014
Pop Bop "Pause and Reflect" (Denver, Colorado, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Snarky privileged mean girl YA dramas are usually so over the top that it is hard to imagine what room is left, exactly, for parody. Well, Fleischman has the answer.

This book isn't manic and it doesn't go for overblown, broad parody. It is almost surgical in the way it focuses on all of the little tics and tells of mean girl high school stories and YA horror, and then exaggerates them just enough to really bring the joke home. The book opens with a tracking shot of mean queen bee Danielle as she heads to community service at an old folks home, and there is not a wasted word as we follow the most exquisitely self-involved, entitled and repellent girl ever.

The book doesn't really mock other books so much as it takes all of the high school drama and horror conventions and refines them and then distorts them so that they seem fresh and funny all over again. With witty descriptions, sharp dialogue and clever plotting this book turned out to be a very rewarding and amusing read. What a nice find.

Please note that I found this book while browsing the local library's Kindle books, and downloaded it for free. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book, April 30, 2001
A Kid's Review
I think this book is the best. I read it once and I want to read it again. I think its really interesting. I could never stop reading that book. It was so interesting I just kept on going and going. It has an awesome ending. I would never thought it would end that way. I can't belive they did that to the girl. Because she was going out with one of the "hun" boys. I really liked this book because it was a mystery book. I recomend this book to anyone that loves to read mystery's. I liked that book so much I couldn't stop reading it. It makes u feel like ur in that story and u are there when everything is happening. You can just picture it in your head. Its so easy to understand. I think this book is the BEST!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Totally Better Than Most, February 10, 2000
Zelda Z. (United States) - See all my reviews
This book rocks! I've read it a couple times. In fact a year after I read it I wanted to read it again. I forgot the title, but I searched through every single book on the library shelves. That's how good it was. This book is a really cool little soap opera set in high school.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Sweet Revenge, January 7, 2000
By A Customer
Meet the Hun Girls; Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany a group of girls that think they own the Hun Boys; Drew, Jonathon, Rhett, and Gavin. These girls intend to get any other girls who mess around with the Hun Boys. Their newest challenge would be Helga, an exchange student from Norway. All along Mrs. Witt having the biggest revenge of all! I really liked this book and as the story unwinds it becomes really good. The characters are much like the kids of their age, so it makes the book more realistic. If you like books with a nice twist to the end I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Awesome, September 25, 2001
By A Customer
"A Fate Totally Worse Than Death" is a horror parody about three high school Valley girls: Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany. Their popularity status is threatened when Norwegian exchange student Helga comes to Cliffside High School and attracts all the boys in school--including the three girls' boyfriends.
The girls immediately let Helga know to stay away from their boyfriends--or else Helga will end up like Charity Chase, one unlucky girl who risked going after the guy Danielle was (and still is) interested in.
But Helga seems immune to their threats and tricks. In fact, when she defeats their hair-cutting ambush in the girls' bathroom, Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany are certain Helga's luck is otherworldly. "She's a ghost," Danielle states. "The ghost of Charity Chase."
With this discovery, the three girls decide there's no other choice but to get rid of "Charity" once and for all. However, it's not easy for them since they've begun to age rapidly, a curse they believe "Charity" has bestowed on them as revenge.
"A Fate Totally Worse Than Death" is a fun and witty book to read, and the ending will probably surprise you. (At least I was surprised.) I would recommend this book to anyone who likes parodies or just wants to kill a few hours with a good teen horror book.
The book was supposed to be made into a movie last year, but from what I heard, it's not going to happen. So, it might still be done, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

4.0 out of 5 stars SCARY MOVIE...in Book Form, March 17, 2006
For anyone who enjoyed Scary Movie with it's over-the-top humor, sarcastic wit, dry parodies, and unrestrained juvenile one-liners, A FATE TOTALLY WORSE THAN DEATH is a must read.

The plot revolves around three girls, Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany, who are members of the Huns--the absolutely only clique to belong to at Cliffside High. The Huns believe in one rule above all else--the Hun boys belong to them, and them alone. When Helga, a Norwegian exchange student, shows up, the girls begin to feel threatened, and decide to take matters into their own hands.

They've had to take drastic action before, you see, when the boy Danielle is in love with, Drew, started dating Charity Chase, a girl who was definitely not a member of the Huns. The group of three committed an unspeakable act of horror--and now they're beginning to pay for it, in the form of Helga. Because once Helga showed up, and Danielle, Brooke, and Tiffany set about ruining her life, bad things began happening to them instead.

As the girls struggle to get through the day, unable to understand why their bodies are betraying them, they come to the conclusion that Helga isn't a girl at all--but the ghost of Charity, come back to haunt them and exact revenge.

A FATE TOTALLY WORSE THAN DEATH is definitely funny, outrageous, and a very quick read. For anyone who likes a dash of humor with their horror, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better the second time!, August 3, 2012
This review is from: A Fate Totally Worse Than Death (Paperback)
This book moved quickly and smoothly, very well developed. It was funny and entertaining. I didn't find any of it scary, even though it's described as a horror story. It would translate well to the big screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, June 25, 2009

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny Read, November 16, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Revenge and murder make a good book!, May 21, 2005
Bobby Joe (Chippewa Falls, WI) - See all my reviews
REVENGE! MURDER! This book "A Fate Totally Worse Than Death," will keep you reading up until the very last sentence. It has the elements of suspense, and mystery all combined together in one short, but very interesting book.

In this book, between the three main characters, Danielle, Tiffany, and Brooke, they show the many signs of aging, or becoming older, much older! This is the mystery that keeps these girls up at night- why are they rapidly aging? Was it that horrible, unspeakable thing they did the past summer? Is someone out to get them? Or even kill them? They used to be young, beautiful women and now they are old, wrinkly and falling apart, literally!

The plot line of this book reminds me of the series of movies called Scary Movie 1, 2, and 3. It also reminds me of the Hannibal movies too! The way that the author, Paul Fleischman uses word choice and imagery creates many vivid pictures in your mind. What I liked about this book was how you can follow the storyline and also relate to it in various ways. I also liked the language in this book too. It wasn't bad or offensive in any way, just creative and fun. This book will make you laugh, guaranteed! To be honest, there really wasn't anything that I disliked about they book. The only thing that I could really say that I disliked would have to be that there barely was any info about the three girls families. I would have liked to know more about their past and backgrounds. Over all this entire book was great and fun to read. Very enjoyable. It's a good read for teenagers, rather than adults.

A Fate Totally Worse Than Death
A Fate Totally Worse Than Death by Paul Fleischman (Paperback - October 4, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01