Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Buy one Get one Free\ Shop Now DOTD

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on December 21, 2011
I'm a big fan of Ilona Andrews' work - the Kate Daniels series is outstanding, and the previous Edge books were very good. This latest one, not so much. It was just....okay. About halfway through, I was really considering putting it down and going on to something else because the story had lost its focus. There's only so many times you can stand to read Kaldar's "witty" thoughts because honestly, there were only a very few of those. I was tired of hearing about Audrey's ass, too. It was worn-out dialog and not fun to read.

It just was really repetitive and boring. I enjoyed George and Jack, and thought those characters were really developed nicely in this book. I cried when Jack went into rend mode - really an end of innocence of a sort there, and well written.

I'd like to see another Edge book, but it would need to be at the higher standards of the first two books. Maybe tell the grandmother's story, build up some more background on the Edge world, and make it something I'm going to stay up all night to read.
on November 29, 2011
Audrey being a former conman, or woman that is, left that life behind her when she left her family in the Edge. Of course her plans to stay straight go out the window when her father swindles her into one last job. It was one job she never should have taken as she quickly learns. Kaldar, a man with many tricks and identities works for the Mirror in hopes of getting revenge against The Hand for the slaughter of his family. His latest assignment was to retrieve a stolen item in order to prevent a war should have been easy, but as soon as he meets Audrey, he knows it won't be the simple job he expected. He'll have to drag her into helping him even if she's kicking and screaming the entire way.

I was excited to see that Fate's Edge was centered around my favorite character from the previous book. I really loved Kaldar and was hoping to see more of him and luckily I got my wish. I also couldn't wait to get to meet the woman who would tame this ladies man, and boy let me tell you that she sure does give him a run for his money. Every small victory he won with her was fought for tooth and nail making their romance all the more meaningful. I personally hate characters who instantly fall head over heels in love. Lust sure, but love, well that takes a little more time then "Hi, how are ya?" Fate's Edge had that perfect balance of a natural progression that wasn't too quick, but also didn't tip over into frustratingly slow either. Of course I think a lot of that perfect balance had to do with the type of characters these two are. I mean, ho would have thought two grifters would have ever stood a snowball's chance, but some how you can just see how these two would work. It sure made for a very interesting dynamic between the two as they were very similar in many ways. I was rooting for them them entire time and each small victory or progress between them literally made me cheer, that's how attached I was.

My absolute favorite part of Fate's Edge was the major role that Jack and George play. I love the two of them in the first book, and couldn't wait to see more of them. They have really grown and matured, but you can still tell they are children as they still have a long road ahead of them. My heart really went out to them as they are still going through the growing pains of the change in their lives as they no longer live in the Edge. Of course the Bluebloods are rather cruel and unaccepting, which leads to a lot of fear and resentment. Speaking of that immaturity, that has a lot to do with how they became front and center in Kaldar's latest mission, but I can't say that I didn't like how things turned out. It was really nice to see the boys in their element, and I have a feeling as more time goes on they will be quite powerful, as they are already pretty skilled. Perhaps one day they will have books of their own. (I can hope, right?)

The previous installment was a little chaotic with all the addition of so many different characters and factions. A huge learning curve in a book can really lessen the enjoyment, so I was really glad to see that Fate's Edge built on that foundation rather than starting all over yet again. The main conflict centered again around The Hand, with a few twists of course. I had a feeling the Edger's triumph in the last book would have some future consequences and it turns up I was right. Also there was plenty of foreshadowing of what may come in the future to make me very eager to get my hands on the next installment. Of course there will be a wait, but as with any of this author duo's books, I'm sure it will be more than worth it in the end. Major kudos to Ilona Andrews for once again providing me with a solid block of entertainment that left me more than satisfied in the end.
on January 9, 2012
The plot of this book is great and I would recommend anyone who enjoys the Edge series to read it because it furthers the overall story. However, the problem with the book is the two main characters, Kaldar and Audrey, constantly debating a relationship with one another. The book fails to progress in a timely manner because for pages- I mean 5-10+ pages each time- they internally debate the pros and cons of being in a relationship with the other. HEY THERE! People are chasing you. Trying to kill you. And you're gonna sit on a rock and debate the merits of a kissing someone right now. REALLY?!? It would have been a great plot but the action events take forever to happen WHY? because someone is sitting on a rock right now. Thank goodness for George and Jack's perspectives throughout the story, otherwise it would have taken Ilona Andrews even longer to wrap up the story, because ohh yea, "I wonder if he/she is thinking about me right now too?" instead of progressing the plot. But I seriously recommend you read the book and when you get to the end, the final battle, the resolution, that takes 1.5 pages- Yep 1.5 pages to describe- after the hundreds of pages you just spent reading about Kaldar and Audrey THINKING about each other. You'll wish the bad guys actually won that battle.
on February 2, 2012
I love this author team, but this book had none of the character development, tight plotting or sense of humor that I have come to expect. None of the "show don't tell" type of writing. I had to force myself to keep reading and came to even dislike characters that I had loved in previous books.
on May 21, 2014
Audrey and Kaldar were my least favourite couple to date in this series—that being said—FATE’S EDGE was still a solid 4-star read thanks to George and Jack. When I finished book 1 my first thought was I hope the Drayton boys will make another appearance, so I was pumped to see them pop-up again in this installment. On top of stunning characters, Ilona Andrews also brings her mad world-building and storytelling skills to the table which makes this novel exactly what I’ve come to expect from this author. Add to that Renée Raudman’s flawless narration, and you’re left with another winning audiobook in THE EDGE series.

I didn’t dislike the leading duo, but they lacked a certain je ne sais quoi if you know what I mean. Audrey is not Andrews’ typical heroine; she’s strong, savvy, and a skilled lock pick, but she’s no fighter. Callahan wages her battles with words instead of a sword which made the romance between her and Kaldar somewhat of a slow burn; lots of flirting, but very little substance. However, I think my main problem was with her male counterpart; he’s more of an anti-hero in my opinion. Kaldar spends a good chunk of this book trying to get into Audrey’s pants, only to later change his tune to one of love. Admittedly, they are well-suited for each other and I enjoyed their bantering, but the hero’s transition from player to soul mate didn’t feel authentic.

George and Jack definitely stole the show, and I was more than ok with that. They both play a pretty significant role in this novel including their own mission in Audrey and Kaldar’s scheme to retrieve the magical device. More is revealed about their respective powers, and I especially enjoyed the extra Changeling tidbits. One of my favourite scenes was from Jack’s POV where he’s chasing a butterfly. Now, as a general rule I’m not a cat person, but even I could appreciate the author’s attention to detail when it came to our lynx-y friend. A number of secondary characters as also introduced in this installment, the most memorable of course being Ling the Merciless, Audrey’s raccoon sidekick.

Renée Raudman’s performance is once again beyond reproach; she achieves the perfect balance between action and humour in her tone, and just makes the overall listening experience a lot more fun. At one point George and Jack are practicing their Broken speak for their upcoming mission, and as a result the narrator had to say “dude” repeatedly in a variety of ways and it was hilarious! The only fault I found with Raudman’s narration was her sexy scenes, her voice became a little too breathy at times, but otherwise this was another fab audiobook from this artist.

FATE’S EDGE is an excellent listen, and on par with what I have come to expect from Ilona Andrews’ THE EDGE series.
on April 23, 2012
It took me five months and four tries to get through this book. The plot was about as slow as molasses in January and just couldn't grab my interest. The story was predictable and dull, which is surprising because the Ilona Andrews duo are among my favorites authors.

Unfortunately, this installment never found it's rhythm for me. I never became fully engrossed and invested in the story.

I won't be reading any future books in this series. I just don't feel the "pull" to care about what happens in this saga. After having read all three books in this series, I can honestly say I can live without it and if I had never read these books, I wouldn't have missed a thing.

I love the Kate Daniels series and will continue to enjoy the adventures of Kate and Curran with a passion. It has never let me down and also manages to entertain me to the fullest. Normally, I would give my favorite authors more than one chance to woo me back, but sadly, in this case, this series is just not worth my invested time.
on December 27, 2011
This book is night and day difference from Ilona's Kate Daniels series.. I was so excited to buy and read this book, but only made it half-way through. The writing is bland and full of unnecessary and tedious detail. Reading turned from a fun activity to a chore with this book..
on December 16, 2011
In short: Don't bother, skip the series if you manage to read this in time...

I picked up the whole "Edge" series based on the reviews, and by the time I got to this installment I was thoroughly bored with the whole affair. The novel started off well enough, with the machinations of a grifter family dragging one of their own back into the family business for one last heist... but then that intriguing premise is immediately discarded and we dizzyingly switch POV to another main character who has to deal with the fallout of that heist, one of several POV changes that do the work a disservice by breaking immersion and forcing the reader to accept their new outlook with barely a breath taken to describe what's going on. The novel just isn't long enough to do any of these interthreaded storylines justice, and we are left tapping our toes and checking our mental watches for the moment when these dispersed characters must coalesce for The Big Finish. Unfortunately the big finish is written like a CGI-FX-heavy movie scene, not a bit of tension or clever to be found in it (The Big Heist happens offstage early, and the next heist had zero thought behind it, making me wish that it too happened offstage so that at least I could pretend it was something like a real old-school con, and not the awful smash-and-grab it turned into). There was no real tension in the final fight since there was really no one present who the reader cared about that had a remote chance of dying, being all primary characters and Illona Andrews showing a distinct aversion to killing off main characters, a reason why all these series wind up, like soap operas, with an extra 2-3 main characters every episode until someone in the writing staff gets fed up and kills almost all of them off (I'm looking at you, Mr. I-Write-The-Gory-Bits, you are falling down on the job, sirrah).

There was no particular romantic tension either, since Mrs. I-Write-The-Sexy-Parts fell down on the job as well, and just went with Bolt-From-The-Blue love, that strikes both characters simultaneously (recall, you get to each of their POVs rather quickly, so no surprises there) and there is no particular reason for them *not* to get together: No attachments, no other love interests, both stupidly cute (I guess, I mean they aren't well described, we just get painfully personal descriptions of how wet/hard they get when they see each other, gah, such a cop-out) and both with that creepy sociopathic loving-but-I-slit-throats-too thing that has been so popular since vampire fiction came along and turned everyone's forebrains into sex-and-death mush.

Don't even ask me why the "kids" are in this novel, or why adults would pat their heads for being such homicidal lunatics at age 13 or whatever, the world-building doesn't fully explain why this society is so sociopathic when it has such easy access to modern liberal democratic philosophy, technology and magic that approximates and exceeds technology. These people act *worse* than Medicis and Borgias, but share a border with the US of A, and seem to personally espouse rather noble ideals... until suddenly they go psychopathic and the violence ratchets up to 11. It makes no sense, but is undoubtedly an artifact of two writers collaborating page-by-page (Although Niven and Pournelle did it seamlessly in their shared work, so I cannot wholly absolve the writers for this bi-polar mess).

Give this one a pass, and in fact if you are considering buying the whole series, I'd give it a pass as well, I'm calling it DOA with the 3rd installment.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2012
If this were a set up for the next book featuring the kids, it was very poorly done. Just bring on the next (hopefully more interesting) book. If it were meant to be a book about Kaldar and Audrey, it really missed the mark of every item needed for a good novel. There was no character development. In fact, I didn't like either hero or heroine. I found them very annoying. Most of all, I kept thinking that the big bad organizations weren't all that---they were too easily defeated. All in all, it was just a waste of money and reading time I'll never get back.
on December 28, 2011
The primary plot line is the romance between the two main characters, Audrey and Kaldar, and the secondary contemporary fantasy plots are weaker. They are in conflict with groups of people represented as near super-powered and evil, yet these conflicts never amount to much. The previous books from the Ilona Andrews collaboration have much better contemporary fantasy plots with some romance. This is the opposite.

I haven't actually counted, but I don't think 10 pages can pass without one of them being admired, or missed, for their ass, breasts or seductive smile. It really looks to me as if a too-short book had been padded with extra "lust" scenes.

It's not a bad book. I did read it through to the end. But it's not as good as the previous books.