5.0 out of 5 stars JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I READ THE BEST ONE...., December 9, 1999
I read numerous books by numerous authors, and Theone is by far the best I have ever read. I have read her Zion Chronicles and Galway Chronicles and Shiloh Autumn. But the Shiloh Legacy is definantly the best one. Theone defines hisorical fiction and makes it real to life. She is a master in descriptive writting. Her characters come alive and you find yourself becoming a part of them and their joys and struggles. After reading one of her novels I learn and understand so much more the events and places in history that she is writting about. I haven't read the second book in this series but I know that it will be just as good as the first book or even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars You live through what the characters did, January 15, 2003
K. Olgren (Milwaukee, WI) - See all my reviews
The Shiloh series is the best of the Thoene's work, but all of it is excellent. What really stood out to me, reading this book, was the experience of the black soldier. He served many more hours on the front lines, fighting in the most dangerous positions. He was honored while overseas for his service. Then he went home, proudly wearing the uniform in which he served his country, and was condemned for being uppity. Who did he think he was?
These black men were beaten, accused of crimes they didn't commit, and lynched.
As a white woman, I could never live that experience. But I lived it vicariously along with Jefferson Canfield.
The characters are real, with strengths and flaws, just as the people we meet every day. They experience good things, but they also experience horrible, awful things too. That's life.
It isn't light reading, but it IS riviting. And it is educational, because you experience things along with the people in the books, things that really happened at the time. I loved the love story between Birch and Trudy and the biding friendship that developed between Jeff and Birch.
This ties in with the Zion books, too, because Max Meyer and Ellis Warne were the fathers of two of the main characters in the Zion Chronicles, I believe, David Meyer and Ellie Warne.
They are worth reading. The only drawback is that once you've read the first, you HAVE to read them all, and they are LONG books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series- astounding writers!, November 25, 1999
In My Father's House got me started on Thoene books. Then I read the whole series of Shiloh Legacy. After thatI read Shiloh Autumn (which I think is the best book I ever read.) I have kept going on Thoene books and never regretted buying one of their books. Anything the authors write is a cut above. No wonder they dominate all the awards for Christian writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one got me started on Thoene and her EXCELLENT novels!, May 21, 1999
By A Customer
I highly recommend Bodie Thoene's novels. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Shiloh Legacy, the Zion Chronicles, the Zion Covenenant, and the first two books of the Galway Chronicles. My only frustration with Thoene is that I am now at the point where she is still writing the series I am reading! Oh, well, just have to wait until July...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series- astounding writers!, November 25, 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting historical, January 13, 2011
Debbie (Harrison, AR United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
"In My Father's House" is a historical set in 1918 in France and in America at the end of WWI and right after it. The historical details woven into the story brought alive the Western Front and the social turmoil occurring in America as the soldiers returned. The characters were complex and realistic, and they dealt with realistic troubles (which came by the handful!). While the story wasn't depressing in the way of some I've been reading, it does have a lot of bad things happen to nice people and the story ends on a sad note.

The suspense was high throughout the story, and it was created by deadly physical danger to the "good guy" characters and by relationship tensions (both romantic and social). Though the story wasn't fast-paced, this was mainly due to the large number of characters. The author switched between them to show how the different social groups (blacks, Jews, immigrants, etc.) were effected by the social turmoil of the time. Sometimes the author's transitions were abrupt; we'd leave one set of characters in a situation where things looked like they're getting worse, and when we come back to them, we discover that things went fine after that...until now.

Though we have Jews, Catholics, and Protestants in the story, only one character ("Preacher") seemed to view his religion as more than a social thing. Preacher (who was black) did give a couple short sermons, but they were in context of the oppression the blacks were facing. They flowed naturally in the story and weren't sermons directed toward the reader.

I don't recall any bad language. There was no explicit sex. I'd recommend this novel to those who like historical fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and educational., May 4, 1999
By A Customer
I've recently become a Bodie Thoene fan and have loved everything I've read. The story is compelling and true to life, and the characters are exciting and original, yet you get a real sence of the tragedy and triumph experienced through different eras of history. I've recommended this and other Thoene works to many of my friend and family. I can't wait for more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, March 13, 1999
By A Customer
This book is about post-world war America.It deals with the racism and bigotry of some of the people of that time.It had me in tears by the end of it,but I didn't stop there,I had to read more books of the series.A masterful storyteller,Bodie Thoene knows how to historicly enlighten while keeping you on the edge of your seat.An A+ for this book,which is one of my most favorite of her books!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, May 31, 1998
By A Customer
Bodie Thoene has always been one of my top Christian authors, and this was another great book. I really enjoy how the Shiloh Legacy, Zion Covenant, and Zion Chronicles all involve the same group of characters. You really establish a relationship with all of them when you can see how their families have intertwined over the years. Though I've read both of the Zion series, this is the first chance I've had to read this book, and I liked having a background to all the characters in the other series. For everyone who enjoys good books with a complex plot and compelling characters, this is a great book to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good story line, July 12, 2014
Very good story line, stayed with the time span and the people within the story were very real to life. Would highly rate it to anyone who loves history and realization.

In My Father's House (Shiloh Legacy Book One)
In My Father's House (Shiloh Legacy Book One) by Brock Thoene (Paperback - July 1, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.30