4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, but no frills

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but not well executed
Published on February 5, 2012 by Kim Reynolds

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, but no frills, May 7, 2011
This review is from: Favorite Cakes, Cupcakes & Frostings: 200+ Cake, Frosting and Cupcake Recipes from Club, Church & Community Cookbooks (Kindle Edition)
I haven't Made any recipes yet, and many look very good. I rated it 4 stars because the recipes all look like real, "unfooled around with" delicious cake recipes. There are a few using mixes but most are from scratch. These recipes are bare bones with minimal instructions so if you are not an experienced baker, this book is not for you. There's no hand holding or extra information. These are not gourmet recipes; all look like they came from community cookbooks, a little old fashioned, like maybe your grandma used to make. There's no nutritional or descriptive info either.

Pros: lots of from scratch cake and frosting recipes. Many look like from the 50's and 60's, I haven't found any so far that are low fat or use artificial sweeteners (yes, that's a pro for me!). Also the book is in an easier to use format than many of these 99 cent Kindle cookbooks. Lots of recipes for 99 cents.

Cons: if you don't know what creaming or folding ingredients means, this one isn't for you. No pictures,no descriptions,no detailed instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum yum!!!!, May 4, 2011
I bought this for the chocolate recipes but there's lots more here. No pictures, but reasonably simple recipes for every kind of cake you can imagine. Plus the formatting was much better than others I've bought. Lots of bang for the buck!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but not well executed, February 5, 2012
I have been looking for simple, old fashioned, home style cake recipes ( preferably from the south), so for 99 cents, I figured I would give this book a shot. It includes a nice varietyof recipes and the organization is nice. My only qualm is the total lack of source information. The book claims to have recipes from the 1930s on, which is great. But there is no way to tell where or from what time period the recipes you are cooking come from. This information would make this book worthy of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, May 1, 2013
I collect from antique shows baking cookbooks. Author Betty Belden put in one wonderful book 200 authentic cake recipes. I want to bake one every weekend, just to play in the kitchen....and truly delicious!!! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully uncomplicated and delish!, July 29, 2011
Just the kind of cake recipes that I like. Old fashioned, uncomplicated and absolutely delicious. YOu do need to know what "fold" means (or be able to look it up) as the author assumes a certain knowledge of baking beyond the absolute novice, but this one is a winner! I know I will be using it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Recipes for Sure!!!, May 17, 2013
Easy to read. Easy and simple recipes. Reminds me of those good old yummy recipes of days of yore. Lots of great varieties. Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Baking, April 25, 2013
I have always lived to bake and so far the receipies in this book do not disappoint.
It is quickly becoming a "go-To" book for dessert

4.0 out of 5 stars First time Cake success!, March 22, 2013
I just loved this book - first time I have bought a 'cooking' book on Amazon, and first time I have made a cake that worked! Thanks to the author; loved your book and so do the people who ate my cake. Cupcakes always look so good, but I manage to mess up, well not this time. And I now have the confidence to try another recipe.

4.0 out of 5 stars YUM interesting and marvelous recipes, but no fruitcake at all?, December 9, 2012
Penny Lane "PennyS" (Seattle, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
I was very happy with this collection of recipes and hope to make 2 of them for the holidays but- if you are looking for a comprehensive go to collection of cake recipes this won't be it. ... but wow, if you are just browsing and wanting something perhaps different or something you or someone you knew once made and have forgotten- you just might find it here!
I was having some difficulty finding cakes I'd looked at before in my kindle version but maybe I'm just not used to electronic medium cookbooks? .. I really do prefer paper copies- the good old fashioned books for cookery. There is nothing like a winter evening cuddled up with tea and a real book.. okay well kindle is nice but you just can't feel the book and see the little bits of paper satisfyingly hanging out from between the pages as you mark a recipe.
Get this if you are a collector of cookbooks or wanting encouragemennt to get in that kitchen more often and get some baking done~! enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars 200+ Cake, Frosting and Cupcake Recipes, August 21, 2012
These cake recipes are very delicious, at least many of them are. There are over 200 recipes to choose from, you'll never run out of ideas ever again. I also recommend another one Cake Recipes from Scratch - Grama G's Top Ten Can't Get Enough Cake Recipes From Scratch - Scrumptious Dessert Recipes You Will Love! (Grama G's Top Ten Homemade Recipes From Scratch)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›