Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Favorite Picture of You
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 23, 2013
There are basically two responses that I have when I hear a great song for the first time. Either I want to hear the next song, or I want to turn off the radio and process what I've just heard. Guy Clark's music almost always elicits the latter response. His songs demonstrate a grasp of human life far deeper than I could express. Simply put, he knows what he writes about, and he doesn't write bad songs. If you were to ask me every day for a month what my favorite Guy Clark song was, I might well give 31 different answers. He's that good.

But while I was waiting for the album to be released, I was concerned that it wouldn't hold up with his previous work. Needlessly. "My Favorite Picture of You," "Heroes," "Rain in Durango," and "The High Price of Inspiration" all stood out on my first listen as worth the price of the entire album. And seven other songs more than carry the weight of expectation.

I pity the person who is asked to assemble a "best-of" collection. There's no point. Just release a boxed set with everything on there. He's that good, and this album is a worthwhile addition to his discography.
11 comment|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2013
A moving tribute to his wife and muse...Susannah will be missed but this is a loving reminder of her life
on July 23, 2013
I pre-ordered the CD as soon as I heard about this album. Today is the release date and I listened to it the first time....it's wonderful. If you like Guy Clark, there is nothing more that needs to be said.
on July 30, 2013
I've heard his name mentioned here and there over the years, thrown around with Townes Van Zandt and Steve Earle... Finally gave him a solid listen with this album - and man am I glad... it's great when one of the mature songwriters can re-prove himself on his own without a bunch of hooplah production.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 7, 2014
If someone came to me and told me they wanted to learn how to write an authentic country song there is a small list of writers I'd tell them to study and Guy Clark is high up on that list. He writes songs that are authentic and cut through to the heart of the matter in a way that seems so effortless that you believe each and every word.

Here on "My Favorite Picture of You," Guy delivers another masterpiece that I enjoy from start to finish. Some people have complained about the state of his voice and I just don't understand that at all. His voice fits these tunes perfectly, just as Johnny Cash's frail voice towards the end of his life brought even greater emotion to the material that he released.

Fans of Guy will know that he has recently battled cancer and also recently lost his wife and this release had to be a very cathartic experience for him and we should all be grateful that he let us come along for the ride. For anyone that likes good, authentic country music and great storytelling songwriting I highly recommend this disc and just about everything else Guy has put on in his long career.
on September 4, 2013
Having been a fan of Guy Clark from the instant I first heard "She Ain't Going Nowhere (She's Just Leaving)" back in '84, I was very disappointed in "Workbench Songs." This collection is dramatically better than that one. While "Workbench" had several songs that didn't do a thing for me, "Favorite Picture" has none that are a waste of time and several that are quite good. "Heroes" is both poetic and haunting, "Waltzing Fool" verges on poignancy and "Standing in the Rain in Durango" has a really nice blend of melody and story. "Coyote" toys with the maudlin with its stereotypical story of betrayed immigrants but Clark's poetry saves it from descent.

My hands-down favorite from this group is "Death of Sis Draper." The bluegrass mood and rhythm are perfect accents for the story and folk music collectors will enjoy the creative blending of "Shady Grove" for the musical breaks. For me, the true quality of a group of songs emerges in the listening over time. I came to like "Corn Meal Waltz" and "Favorite Picture" more when I listened the third time; several of the others I liked instantly.

This isn't Guy Clark's best release but how can a legend be legendary every time for five decades? It's certainly a fine grouping and well worth the money.
on July 30, 2013
Mr. Clark is a true treasure. You can close your eyes and throw a dart at any of his albums and not get a bad one. This is no execption. Go ahead and do your soul a favor and buy this one today.
on August 9, 2013
and getting a taste of the title track. Now the "dang" thing's stuck in my head. Authentic and enchanting; a good way to get real during a P.C. day.
on August 2, 2013
Guy Clark is one of the rare American songwriters who can paint a picture and evoke a specific emotion with perfectly simple, profound verses. His latest collection of songs has a sense of poignancy that can only be achieved with the reflection that comes with age.

Clark's voice is still mesmerizing. You get the feeling that you're listening to a sage. The title track will become a staple in the genre of serious love songs--right up there with a classic like Far Side Bank of Jordan. This is a beautiful, pure collection of American music.
on April 5, 2014
Looking over the web, I stumbled across this song being nominated for an award. I then look up Guy Clark, and found some awesome Albums. I love this song and story. "Guitar" is another favorite songs of mine from Guy Clark. Needless to say I now have a few full albums from him, and have been enjoying him ever since, I stumbled across him.