Customer Discussions > Centennial Vols 1-12 [VHS] forum

Favorite part(s) of Centennial??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 4, 2008 10:22:07 PM PDT
Just wondering what other people here consider their favorite part(s) of this mini-series. My own top favorite part I think is the end "The Scream of Eagles" where Merle Haggard sings his song. Though the scenes of the cattle drive in "The Longhorns" are pretty good as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 10:56:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2008 11:15:33 PM PDT
Chris Meece says:
Great question!!

1) McKeag dancing. (Both times)
2) The RJ Poteet/Nacho exchange when they first meet.
3) Hans Brumbaugh walking through his fields with his hands out talking about the ditch.
4) Anytime Elly writes about their travels to Oregon.
5) Ol O D Cleaver stories.
6) Charlotte telling the judge off.
7) Paul Garrett's narration through the whole series.
8) Anytime Marcel Pasquinel spoke. (Funny thing .. as teenagers his and Jake's accents are absent and as adults it is very pronounced)
9) Sheriff Dumire's death with Phillip's confession.
10) Levi Zendt confronting Jake Pasquinel after he killed a young Arapaho.
11) Jim and Charlotte having picnics.
12) Charlotte's talk to Clemma that convinces her to leave Jim alone.

I can't choose just one.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 11:30:23 PM PDT
Ken Bailey says:
I think I like the Lame Beaver stuff the most.

Although Pasquinel is my favorite character, even though he's a bit of a bastard.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 1:21:08 AM PDT
Actually Chris I think Jake killed a young Pawnee in that one scene. He tells Zendt not to let Pawnee on their land again, ever after that and threatens his life. Levi stands up to him by (in effect) calling Jake a coward since he has a dozen friends behind him to back his threat up.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 6:41:40 AM PDT
Chris Meece says:
Hehe .. you're quick. I stand corrected. I remember that now that you said it. He also says "They say your father was a great man ... well if he had seen what happened here he would have been sick."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 6:50:58 AM PDT
Yep, and having stood his ground he gained Jake's respect as a man. It's funny isn't it. Even though it's just a mini-series filled with fictional characters discussion boards like these leave you feeling like you're discussing things that have happened to old friends. It's almost as if you could open an encyclopedia to the letter Z and look up Levi Zendt's bio on page X for example. The same sort of feeling you get (I think) when you discuss a mutually enjoyed book with someone else who has also read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 11:19:53 AM PDT
Ken Bailey says:
Well, I feel like these characters are old friends (even the bastards in the series). Especially after reading the book as well.

Yes, I like that scene as well.

I guess the other scene I like is when McKeag and Pasquinel are dancing. They didn't leave under the best of circumstances but Pasquinel trusts him enough to pull the arrow out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 3:28:52 AM PDT
The dancing scene was good. And of course it linked to McKeag trying to resolve things with Jake through dancing which led to his heart attack and death at Lucinda's wedding to Levi. There is a sort of a torch passing from one to the other and so on. Levi takes over for McKeag just as McKeag took over for Pasquinel. The generations link together like links in a chain.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 10:21:16 PM PDT
Ken Bailey says:
So I finally watched the whole series and I'll have to say the last chapter seemed like an afterthought. Parts were okay but parts of it seemed forced.

All I can say though is that after years of waiting for this to come out and being able to see it, I'm happy wtih the series overall.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 5:08:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2008 7:22:00 PM PDT
R. Hays says:
Everyone of the scenes mentioned by Chris Meese I could say was a favorite. They were all so good... But one more I'd add is Zack leaving his Pennsylvania home, and how he picked up Elly along the way.

Most definately hated the snake scene and the massacre, but like in real life, bad things happen. That made the story even more real and special.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 7:01:06 PM PDT
Chris Meece says:
I was thinking about the snake scene the other day. This film means a lot more to me now that I am in my 30s. I found a great spiritual message in the snake scene. Levi finally feels his life is working out and he thanks God in prayer. At that very moment Elle is killed. Initially I thought how horrible this was. But God had a plan for Levi that involved bringing him to the west. Levi could have simply went alone and Elle may or may not have lived. However, she wouldn't have reached her full potential and would lived life with the stigma of being illegitimate. She lived several months of adventure that she documented which no doubt inspired generations. Her passing was sad but she left behind a rich record. Levi went on to live an amazing life and found a town.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 4:42:11 AM PDT
I liked how Levi responded to Elly's question about shooting Ms. Kruger. He neither stated that he would or wouldn't only that in order to do so he'd have to reload first, and that it took the fastest man almost a full minute to do that. lol.

It was sad how Elly made her exit along with Levi's unborn child. You are left wondering if it would have been a boy or a girl.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 4:43:27 PM PDT
Cory says:
I agree with all of you about favorite scenes, however, as an American Indian apologist, I have to rate as the most emotionally moving scene; the one when Michael Ansara as LAME BEAVER after reflecting on his teachings as a child, climbs to the top of the mountain, raises his arms to the heavens and exclaims "Man Above, I have done all that I can do."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2008 3:18:22 PM PDT
T. Oakley says:
Chris, I agree with you about Marcel Pasquinel speaking; it added a lot of flair to everything he said. I also thought it was odd that they didn't think of the continuity of the brothers' accents from teenagers to men. But Haley Mills portrayed teenaged American twins from two different areas of the country in the original "Parent Trap", yet spoke with her natural English accent, so I can only assume that things like that weren't considered as important years ago as they are today.

I have several favorite scenes, but among them are the times when Lame Beaver's uncle was teaching him. He used every opportunity to use the things around them as object lessons. I think the uncle was one of the true unsung heroes of this series.

Posted on May 8, 2010 7:13:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 8, 2010 7:34:38 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 2:10:22 PM PDT
I can not think of Centennial without thinking of that young officer played by Mark Harmon watching the massacre and saying, "On this day, we should all be sick."

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 4:17:09 PM PDT
My favorite Centennial moment is when David Janssen says, "Americans are the loneliest people on earth." Who but the man who played Dr. Richard Kimble could have expressed it better?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Centennial Vols 1-12 [VHS]
Centennial Vols 1-12 [VHS] by Raymond Burr (VHS Tape - 1999)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,171)