4.0 out of 5 stars Probably not the songs most JE fans would pick, but..., November 4, 2009
This review is from: Favorites At Play (MP3 Music)
... it works. My own preference would have been an album of 70s/80s electronic/new wave covers, but this guy never does what is expected. As it is, I didn't know most of these songs, so these are completely fresh takes for me.

One thing I hope is retained for the next JE album is the vocal delivery/treatment, which is far and away better than the old "whispy 9 year old girl" approach (which had its place, even if it makes "Christiansongs" hard to listen to), or the raw warbling of more recent albums.

Every time another one of these albums is released, I am completely grateful. There just isn't another artist as unique and surprising, and this album is one more great example.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Unique Covers, November 3, 2009
This review is from: Favorites at Play (Audio CD)
I have to be honest. I do not like a lot of the original versions of these songs, but Joy E's unique sound and creativity elevate these songs, almost change them.
Joy Electric is very respectful of the originals and adds a totally unique flair to them, which I think is the best way to cover a song.

Love this band!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy Electric creates a masterpiece yet again!, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Favorites At Play (MP3 Music)
This album has quickly become my favorite Joy Electric Album. I have enjoyed all the tracks, the covers are all very very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good songs, happy with album., November 10, 2009
This review is from: Favorites at Play (Audio CD)
Cover albums can be hard, and they are judged very harshly. But I think this album was very well done. I'm not a fan of secular music, but I usually don't mind listening if a Christian artist is singing the song, as long as it's not a bad song. Anyway, I agree with the guy before me, the vocals on this album are a huge step up for Ronnie. I would like to see him keep it for the next JE album.

Favorites At Play