Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 13, 2007
After years of frustration of her fans & petition drives, the the wait is FINALLY over! This is probably the most fun, danceable & peculiar masterpieces of the early 80s. Brought to my attention in a most suitably bizzare way, the drag queens my fair city loved to dress up as Nina Hagen and lip-synch to New York, New York [no, not the Frank Snore-atra snooze]. Every song on this CD will captivate your imagination and wonder how the h*ll she even thought up this stuff as she sings in an entire parade of of vocal styles. Although at points a bit silly, there is not one bad song to be found here & is a good place to start when first discovering this talented lady. There is even a tidbit of very early Red Hot Chili Peppers lending a hand on 'What It Is' or 'Was Ist Is' found on the German language version of album.

Nina Hagen still continues to make great music to this day although some may of it may be difficult to find to this point in time. BTW, no this is NOT the '99 Red Luft-Balloons' Nina. Too bad Koch didn't think to include the handful of German language versions from her LP 'Angstlos', the video 'Zarah' or some live klips that would have made a wonderful addition to this CD or a 'Limited-Edition' double-disc pack for fans. Lacking any extras, I would have given this CD 4.5 stars rating if that was an option. One can only hope her 1985 record[s] 'In Ecstacy'/'In Ekstase' will follow on CD soon.
VINE VOICEon February 20, 2007
It's been a REAL long time, but at last, Nina's collaboration with 80s synthdance master Giorgio Moroder makes its way to CD, with excellent mastering. The only surprise here is the lack of any bonus tracks, namely, the 12" mix of Zarah. But at least that is available on the 14 Friendly Abductions CD. Now we can only hope that her album In Ekstase finally gets released in its English language version.
on February 16, 2007
After the scary NUNSEXMONKROCK, Nina shot herself into another direction proving she is capable of numerous musical genres. Well worth the price, you won't be disappointed. And The Red Hot Chili Peppers guest on one song!

This is probably her most bizzare, almost mainstream sounding cd. Her synth-pop masterpiece. She sings in a variety of voices ranging in topics from New York City, to aliens coming through a tv set while the watcher sleeps during news specials. And the reading of a French Menu!

And it is all light, bouncy, and brimming with energy!

And although it should have been included here as a cd enhancement, the video for "Zarah" would have been an added treat! If you can locate it, watch it...possibly one of the most interesting videos out there from the early 80's...and Nina contorts her face into a multitude of hilarious looks!
on October 4, 2011
Listening to "Fearless", one of my favorites from the Eighties, can be a double-edged experience as it takes me back to bittersweet memories of my often rebellious twenties in New York City. I have never been an avid concertgoer, but Hagen is one of those artists who I remember having seen live, on at least one occasion, in the era of the disc. "Fearless" does not have the somber quality of "Nunsexmonkrock", yet it is just as conceptually daring, as well as thematically consistent, as its predecessor. "Fearless" is a more accessible and danceable Hagen, with Nina experimenting with proto-rap and / or a variation on rap as it existed before and during the time of this record's release (before that form became so pretentiously heavy and tending towards the non-melodic). The Giorgio Moroder / Keith Forsey production gives this record a great polish, and complements Nina's extra-terrestrial vision. This is a feel-good disc; though listening to Miss H. is always intense, whether her mode / mood is light or dark. Although she usually takes it into the realm of the fantastic (IE her obsession with UFOs), I believe that her spirituality is heartfelt, and something that continues to keep her grounded. This record is the musical equivalent of a Kenny Scharf painting. Nina Hagen was, is, and always will be avant-garde in the best sense of the term.

Stephen C. Bird, Author of "Any Resemblance To A Coincidence Is Accidental"
on May 6, 2007
It has been a long wait but, finally the goods have been delivered once again. I thought I was going to die before the release of Fearless would see the light of day on compact disc. Nina Hagen's music needs to be swallowed with caution, but beware once it is in your system there is no turning back! You will never be the same again! There is no space for fillers in this release, every song jumps at you and leaves no room to surrender, every track stands on its own without any help from the rest. Let us hope that the next Nina Hagen release on compact disc will be "Angloss", but we can only hope!

Fearless without a doubt it is one album I eagerly waited to have for many, many years, there is so much to explore, one can easily place this album next to the great Kate Bush's record,"The Dreaming"
on September 30, 2015
When you hear phrases like "Songs of the 80's", some people think of Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Scorpions, and a bunch of crazy "Hair Bands" like Motley Crue, and the like. Maybe it was Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Prince and the Revolution, The Fixx, Flock of Seagulls, Gary Newman, early Madonna, or maybe Hewey Lewis and the News. It depends on the crowd you ran with, and the clubs you might have spent your time at. For me, it was all of the above PLUS Nina Hagen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, early Laibach, BauHaus and their spin-offs (Tones on Tail, Love and Rockets), early KMFDM, and so on. Nina Hagen is timeless, and wanders across multiple spectrums of sound and music. In a fit of creativity, as I was compiling a list of my favorite songs from the 80's I started accumulating old CDs I had previously lost, and just HAD to find some of my favorite Nina Hagen albums. Between 'Fearless', 'Nunsexmonkrock', and 'EKSTASE', I found more than my fill of the songs I loved.
VINE VOICEon July 26, 2010
I discovered Nina Hagen when a friend loaned me Nunsexmonkrock in the early 80s. I loved Cosma Shiva and UFO so much, I put them on a cassette to play in the car over and over. Nunsexmonkrock is one of her very best albums. She actually never did do very many albums in the New Wave/Dance/Pop style with metaphysical lyrics that some of us love so much...

The Fearless LP is about the only other really great album she ever did (if you prefer her early style). I was so excited when Fearless was finally released on CD. It is my all time favorite Pop Album!

After listening to Fearless off and on for many years, I have never gotten tired of it at all. It's Timeless. It's sweet. It's fun. It's Enlightening. Because I do enjoy it so much, I think Nina is at her best here, and the music itself - the arrangements, the instrumentations, the "sound" and sound quality... It's all just awesome.

* * *

The Best of Nina Hagen - 14 Friendly Abductions, however, is terribly distorted, and does not have her best songs! If you look at it on Sound Studio (or any other sound editing software) you will see why every song sounds distorted. They cranked up the volume during the re-mastering and almost every note in every song is "clipped" really badly. That's when the curved peaks are cut off and literally missing their tops, because there was no place for them to go, which does result in distortion. Instead of nice wavy lines, it looks like someone spilled a lot of ink in a rectangular box.

Plus, "14 Friendly Abductions" is an interesting title considering that it's missing Flying Saucers and UFO, two of her best songs! It's missing a Lot of her best songs, actually.

So, get Fearless and Nunsexmonkrock. That would be hugely better than The Best of Nina Hagen, a distorted mess that is missing so much of her best!!
on April 9, 2007
Having been released on CD only in Brazil during the 90's, here it is now, in 2007, for world wide degustation.

New York New York was quite a hit on dancefloors all around.

I became addicted to this album.

It is soooooooooooo good!
on June 1, 2007
This CD is fun to listen to - and Nina will entertain you with her fantastic voice and imagination!! Fearless is just as great as Angstlos! Nina is the best!
on March 30, 2009
I love this cd. There are some songs, O.K., whatever, maybe two that I can do without. But the rest LOVE IT! It is different, but you know what I like different.