Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on November 28, 2013
This cookbook is amazing for any Song of Ice and Fire or a Game of Thrones fan. I have used this cookbook for the last 2 years to plan my Game of Thrones viewing parties, and nearly everything I have made has turned out excellent. My personal favorite has been the rack of lamb (which Tywin is eating during his very first scene is a Game of Thrones). I have also cooked the honeyed chicken, the white stew, the black bread, the oats bread, the lemon cakes (Sansa's favorite!), and the stuffed peppers. Everything has been delicious. Furthermore, it has become a tradition for me to make the mulled wine for every episode, and my guests love it!

PS: The writers of the cookbook are amazing. While cooking the white stew for the season 3 premier, I was wondering if it would be acceptible for me to use canned crab. I emailed the book's authors, and within 15 minutes, they responded with the following message:
You can definitely used canned clams and crab. I even occasionally swap in some imitation crab, because it's so much cheaper... Shhhh! ;) Hope this helps, and enjoy your belated premiere party!

Best,
Chelsea
on March 23, 2013
The recipes we tried have all turned out delicious and resulted in rave reviews from those sitting around the table. The only recipe that had dubious results was the dark bread recipe. Although I make a lot of bread, this loaf was more dense and did not rise as much as I anticipated. I was so concerned that I chickened out baking it for our Game of Thrones dinner and instead opted for some commercial bread dough. I decided to allow the black break to rise through the night in the frig... The next day I allowed it to do the final rise and baked it ~ totally expecting the result to be as hard as a hockey puck... Oh me of little faith. The bread turned out so yummy that it was gone by the end of the day.

We used a blended approach to the recipes. We substituted Pork Loin for boar, Cod for Halibut and used some of the "Modern" versions i.e for the Fingerfish and Fish Tarts .... But everything prepared had nicely nuanced flavors much as described by the authors. We tried the following recipes over the course of a week: Roasted Boar (Pork Loin) (the cloves added a wonderful flavor to the meat and surprisingly the vinegar/wine did not overwhelm the more delicate flavor of the pork loin); Buttered Carrots, Sansa's Salad (the faint of heart picked out the prunes, but I found they add a sweetness and balance to the salad); Corn Fritters (especially yummy with honey or maple syrup); Sister's Stew (OMG so good!); Fish Tarts (Not sure if I like the black berry topper - I think I will use olive as a topper next time); Fingerfish (Halibut was not available .. Not sure if it is considered a "sustainable" fish so I opted for Cod ... Still it was a wonderful dish with more salad and green peas and mashed potatoes... The only dessert attempted was the Lemon Cakes (more like lemon cookies). These were light and paired well with the heavier meals. We plan to try the majority of the recipes over the next few months ~ Although, I have not been able to get much interest in trying snake or locust, but the opportunity is there, and I found those items can be ordered over the internet .... Highly recommend this book.
on November 9, 2015
The plot of this book is full of surprises, from the addition of certain herbs to a dish, to the ease of making your own dark crusty bread. The mood when reading this book is always hopeful of a tasty feast in the making. The pace is steady, until something starts burning. I describe the characters as complex, from the rabbit with tasty herbs all the way to the wonderfully roasted pork.
on May 29, 2012
Obviously as the title states this cookbook targets fans of the Game of Thrones saga. The entries include what a reasonable Medieval Kitchen requires like Aurochs, Savory and Grains of Paradise, etc. and easy substitutes like in these cases beef, thyme and black pepper. The recipes are divided into the six regions with the entries enabling the modern chef to bake with contemporary equipment or the fanatical chef cooking in a medieval manner.

With a nod to Renaissance Faires' food fare and homage to George R.R. Martin's super series, fans will enjoy learning how to properly prepare Dragons Eggs in diverse styles and dining by region with Mutton in Onion-Ale Broth at the Wall; Aurochs with Roasted Leeks in the North; tasty Poached Pears in the South, scrumptious Sweetcorn Fritters at King's Landing that rival in taste the Atlanta south-side bakeries and Bowls of Brown; Dornish Snake with Fiery Sauce in Dorne; and Honey-Spiced Locusts Across the Narrow Sea. With colorful mouthwatering pictures fans will relish this cookbook, but should be warned we armchair warriors are a tad less active than Tyrion and others in the Seven Kingdoms.

Harriet Klausner
I usually have weekly viewings at my place for GAME OF THRONES! (that's how I say it whenever I mention it), and friends are always invited to come over. I wanted to do a special thing for the Season 6 premiere and make GAME OF THRONES! snacks mentioned or inspired by the show. This official cookbook is the book to own for that purpose.

I love a majority of the meals/snacks in here, mainly the sweets. Most of them are easy to make, and every single one I've made so far has a new taste for your mouth. Some of my personal favorites, so far, are:

From King's Landing:
• Lemon Cakes (Sansa's favorite, and soon to be yours)
• Iced Milk with Honey (so tasty!)

From The North:
• Crusty Bread, with honey or olive oil dip (I never made bread before until now)

There are still a few left on my to-cook list. I would love to make Dornish Fiery Rattlesnake, but I've yet to find that available in New York City. They do sell pigeons though, for Pigeon Pie. I'll let you know how that turns out.

You're sure to find something you'll enjoy eating in this book. Recommended.
on June 1, 2012
Fist I want to say that while this book is aimed at fans of George RR Martin's epic novels A Song of Ice and Fire, I think that anyone would enjoy making most of these recipes. As a fan of the books myself I have always loved George's descriptions of his characters foods, the detail draws you into the world and sometimes makes you hungry just reading about it. Thanks to Chelsea and Sariann we can actually have some of those foods.

The book itself is well written with some fantastic old world recipes as well as several modern versions of the same recipe. I really have enjoyed cooking some of these and so far everything has come out amazing. The instructions are simple, pictures are great, and the ability to be apart of a fantasy novel in such a real way is truly a unique kind of experience. Sister Stew has been my favorite so far and I highly recommend trying this one out. If you're also a fan of the HBO series Game of Thrones using this book to recreate some of Westero's meals would be a real fun way to sit down with friends and/or family and watch the show. Just don't play Rains of Castamere when you're doing it...
on July 14, 2012
This book has some great recipes that are incredibly easy to produce, all are delicious! I was especially excited to see the medieval versions of the recipes included with the modern versions. You will want to make sure you stock your cupboard and spice rack with the items listed in the beginning of the book because the subtle flavors of things like long pepper are really the icing on the cake!

As the title suggests, there was a small problem. Some of the recipes are 99.9% complete, but forget to mention when you add salt to the bread mix or some other minor issue. If a truly new chef were to pick up this book, they might have a problem figuring some of the recipes out. Otherwise, it's a stellar cookbook.
on August 21, 2012
This book is beautiful and well organized. It gives a great foreword to prepare you for medieval cooking and what to substitute for the more exotic ingredients. I can't wait to get a feast going. If you're a fan of GRRRR Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire, you know his attention to detail, particularly on food. This book brings that imagery to life. Happy cooking!
on January 28, 2015
Fun cookbook, and it taught me how to make awesome Black Bread which has become a household favorite, my parents said it reminded them of the old country (Germany).
Some recipes are more challenging/exotic than others but that is part of the enjoyment in my opinion. If you are a fan of the books or the television series you will be pleased with this unique cookbook.
on November 20, 2014
I was a bit anxious about buying this book, but the reviews were good, so I wentforit. I was not disappointed! GOT spinoff book or not, it is a great cookbook! The recipes are great, and very well written. The photographs are well done (so it would be a great gift). Best of all, it is not pretentious.