Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Package Quantity: 1Change

on September 6, 2011
The Feather "Popular" twist-to-open (TTO) razor is a good entry-level product for those interested in trying out traditional shaving. There are other currently manufactured TTO razors on the market, but the quality is generally hit or miss. Despite the light weight and partial plastic construction, in many ways this is better than razors from Parker that cost the same or more.

The best feature of this razor in my opinion is the more sloped profile of the cutting head. The vintage safety razors from Gillette had a head like this, before they moved to a more "slim" profile in the early 1960's, ostensibly making it easier to shave the tight areas under the nose. But in keeping this "fatter" head, the Feather Popular is a very good choice for those with sensitive skin, since it requires a less-steep blade angle. The drawback to this, combined with the razor's overall light weight, is that the shave is very mild. But if paired with a very sharp blade like Feathers (probably the sharpest blades currently available by some stretch), it's possible to get a close, smooth shave with no irritation. And it's also worth noting that blade alignment in the cutting head is even on both sides. You'd think this goes without saying, but you'd be surprised at how many modern TTO's don't get this right. The blade is also locked securely in place.

However, given the Feather company's high standards, I have to wonder why 85% of the razor is plastic, including the entire lower portion of the cutting head. This affects the razor's glide a bit and shaving cream/soap scum is more noticeable on the black plastic over time. But that's more of a cosmetic concern and it doesn't mean the razor is "cheap" by any means. This is something that will probably last on the order of 50 years with proper care. And with 6 to 7 shaves per blade, with less irritation than modern cartridge systems, it's a smart choice for men who are curious about wetshaving.

I still think the Lord L6 razor (also available on Amazon) is the best choice for a cheap starter razor, but you could certainly do worse than the Feather Popular.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2012
(UPDATE: I've been using this razor for just over two months now and it is the best razor I've owned. It's just like the old Gillette G1000 with the Super Speed head, a slight tad more aggressive but not that you'll notice; your angle will be about the same and finding the best angle for your face is easy. It's an easy shave and a damned close shave. Best for men with light to medium/medium-heavy beards. Heavy beards might like it? Great first time razor and great daily shave for old experienced wet shavers. Buy this razor and you won't regret it.)
I just bought this razor for $20.00 that came in a plastic case and a pack of Feather blades (like all razors used to come) and I was completely shocked at how good a razor this is. It shaves exactly like my 1970 Gillette G1000 (was called the Gillette Knack between 1967 - 70)which was famous for a great close razor-burn free shave with one difference: This is a better made razor. Perfect balance, perfect lenght, and the TTO at the top of the razor is bigger and easier to open than the old Gillette. I love this razor!
As to the complaints from some about it being a "plastic razor"...So? My Glock .45 has a forged steel slide that blows back to eject a spent shell by using the energy from firing a 230 grain .45 round on a polymer frame and after over 1000 rounds fired the "plastic" frame is still just fine. Don't knock this razor for the use of a polymer base and handle, If taken care of it will last as long as a plated brass razor. The head is stainless steel as is the TTO dial and being made by a company that for over three decades has made some of the best surgical instruments for eye and nerve surgery in the world, I'm glad they decided to branch into the shaving business as a side line.
This is not an aggressive razor but is just a little more aggressive than the old Gillette Super Speed. Again, it shaves like the G1000 or like the Schick Krona from the 1960's. You'll only notice the difference in the quality of shave you get. If you have a light or medium beard you'll love this razor as it is almost completely nick and cut free; if you (like me) have a heavy beard: 3 - or - 4 way shave time without razor burn. Like the old Gillette or Schick Krona the secret is don't press the blade into your face, let the razor do the work, first with the grain of your beard then however you do your second approach. Bought my son one of these and he has a medium beard and all he does is a one time pass with little touch ups on the left over stubble as he goes.
A well made razor at a good price made by a surgical supply company? You can't go wrong.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2012
Several months ago after experiencing a bad rash on my neck, which was made worse by shaving, I elected to try a different razor type. I went with the double edge Lord L6. I liked the shave but not the razor. It was rather cumbersome to remove/replace the blade. I ended up going on the auction site and I obtained a few old Gillette's. My first one was from the 40's. I loved it. Ended up buying a Fat boy, Black Beauty and Slim boy. All great razors. Each requiring a slightly different technique due to their size and weight. Then I stumbled across this thing. Although inexpensive (not cheap), it in many ways offers the best of the above mentioned razors. The handle is thick like the fat boy making for easy holding, it has a long handle and great styling like the black beauty, but still is very light weight like a disposable. I don't think the light weight aspect can be addressed strongly enough. With a really sharp blade like the feather, you need a very light touch. When you have a heavy razor, it's easy to bear down harder than you should , and inadvertently nick your self. This razor makes that less likely. At first I was really disappointed in this razor. I thought it was cheap , particularly seeing the inside made of plastic, and didn't believe it would last very long. What I previously viewed as a shortcoming I now see as a very distinct advantage. Although I enjoy using the old Gillettes, whenever I come back to this razor I always find myself more impressed by it. A few notes on other things. I found a better price on the auction sites for feather blades, particularly in lots of 100. Although I love the sharpness, the feather blade is very unforgiving. If your skin is not smooth it will remove anything in it's path, hence the need for a VERY light touch. I am considering trying Astra blades, which may not be quite so lethal. It's important to wash your face well before adding any shaving cream or soap. Apply a good aftershave afterwards to clean up any small nicks you have, then a good skin cream such as Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. As someone with very sensitive skin, I'm forced to pay a bit more attention to these details, and hope perhaps this helps others in the same boat.Likewise I appreciate your tips.

Update: 2/26/13
Love love love this razor. I've gotten used to the feather blades, or my skin has just had all the high spots shaved off. IN any case I almost never get a nick anymore. The lightness of the razor , really allows a lot more control than my old Gillette's. Still impressed. I would give this 5 stars now if I could change it.
on January 3, 2011
I must have two dozen double edge razors, this Feather razor is the equal of the best I have. I was skeptical of the plastic construction, but it is a nice weight, easy to control, holds a blade securely and centered in the head. After trying a couple Parker razors that had too much play in the strip that holds the blade I thought I'd give this a try and quite pleased. The handle is long enough for my big hands and fingers to hold without feeling cramped. I highly recommend this as both a starter and long term razor.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2014
I’m an African American male who was in the market for a shaving alternative to combat razor bumps and general skin irritation that oftentimes plague men of color …..Like most guys I used both Gillette and Schick razors for years, spending hundreds of dollars yearly on wherever new motorized shaving device they came up with. Despite paying exorbitant fees for ‘motor razors’, I oftentimes found shaving to be a dreaded chore, something to rush through…..only to be left with razor bumps that despite my best efforts, continued to appear.
The cost for replacement cartridges from Gillette and Schick is OUTRAGEOUS! I mean really $15 or more for a set of FIVE??!! If the cost doesn’t dissuade you, the quality of the shave should…..From what I understand, these razors ‘pull/rip’ the hair follicle from your skin [increasing the potential for skin irritation and razor bumps]
After doing some research I learned about the ART of shaving using a traditional safety razor YouTube is your friend, use it!] . Sure, I like most newbies was concerns about slicing my face to shreds with a blade but believe it or not the process ain’t bad at all…in fact the learning curve was NOT daunting for me.
The Feather Safety razor is easy to use [‘the screw open’ loading mechanism] is simple to use. The starter blades I chose were the Astra brand [a pack of 100 blades for $10]
I also purchased a shaving cup and brush set, again entry level [about $9 for a set]….
Overall, I must say that my shaves have been GREAT! Once you go down the route of making shaving an experience and not a chore, there is no going back!
This shaving experience requires that you tailor a process for your particular lifestyle and skin type, for example if you have course hair like me, you might need a bit more prep time [i.e. heat and lubrication on the beard 1st] In my case, the morning shaving routine consists of the following:
1. Wash face with moisturizer face wash
2. Fill sink with HOT water and soak blade
3. While blade is soaking, make lather in soap cup
4. Coat face and proceed with shave [shave beard with 2 complete passes]
5. Rinse face and add lubrication moisturizer [I use Shea moisture –tea tree Herbal Bump preventer]
Free yourself from the Gillette/Schick rip off …..You’ll be glad you did!
on March 29, 2014
I must confess that the Feather razor was my third choice. I'd bypassed it because I felt that the name 'Feather' wasn't appropriate for a man's razor. (Silly reason.) So I ordered a Weishi (plastic) razor, but when I found it was going to take a month to come all the way from China, I ordered the USRazor, which came in a week or so. However, there was a problem in that the bar that locates the blade was a bit too thin, so the blade could be exposed unevenly. The result was a harsh shave using one side, and no shave using the other side of the blade. And it could be secured at an angle, which was worse. When the Weishi came I found it too short and seemingly lighter than the old disposables. I went back to the customer reviews -- mostly because the Feather had won a four-and-a-half star rating -- but it was a comment by K. Cummings in the first customer review that prompted me to try the Feather. He made a point that the blade seated perfectly in the razor, and he was right! The razor came in the predicted time and my first shave was both comfortable and close. Another factor was the favorable comparison to the old Gillette razors mentioned by many reviewers. I'll be turning 77 in May, and have been shaving for over 60 years, and frankly I find it BORING, so trying a double-edged razor was more for the sake of variety than the cost of disposables, but my thanks go to Mr. Cummings for his input. It was most appreciated. And this review is as much for his comments as for the excellent razor.
on April 24, 2014
Just what I was looking for and unable to find in any retail stores EVER!!! They (the stores) sell the blades but not the razors.... GO FIGURE!
Reasonable price and seems quite sturdy - cannot ask for more than that - Thanks Amazon and Vendor, great service as always............. Just wanted to add that the vendor is Beauty Point, sorry I did not mention the name...
on March 17, 2012
After a fair bit of research on double edged (DE) safety razors I decided on the Feather Popular razor. As I'm sure you have by now, I did a lot of reading up on the practice of DE shaving. I wasn't sure what I was exactly getting into, so I didn't want to lay out a huge amount of money. The price, combined with the positive reviews (here and elsewhere), were the primary factors that drove me to purchase this razor.

Honestly, the razor itself, in construction and materials, doesn't entirely justify the cost at about $22.00 to me. Some of that is certainly due to it' packaging, which includes a plastic case (suitable for travel). While this is by far on the low end of the spectrum on DE razor pricing, I feel a more fair price for this product might be around $15. That said, I would buy this razor again at $22.

If you look at the image on the product page, what you see as the black parts of the razor are plastic. It's light in weight (seemed lighter than the 3-blade cartridge system I had been using) but the plastic doesn't feel cheap. What you see as the sliver parts of the razor are stainless steel.

The action of the TTO (twist to open) mechanism feels a little loose when open, but I found that once a blade was loaded, and the mechanism was closed, it held the blade very securely, and dead-on straight with the razor's protective guard.

With the razor in place, I found the fully assembled device was very nice to shave with. I used Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin applied with a Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush, with the included Feather blade (2). I have just one shave completed with this razor, but the experience was very much like shaving with my previous 3-blade cartridge system, although far superior in removing the 5 days' growth of my thick whiskers.

A lower price would certainly have gotten 5 stars out of me for this review. This is a very nice product, I would buy it again, and would certainly recommend it to a friend.

Fantastic "my-first-DE-razor"
Straight and secure blade retention
Comes with a case and blades

(and this a pretty minor one) Could potentially be a little less expensive
on September 20, 2013
I really like grooming so I decided to switch from my electric razor in order to add aftershave to my morning routine. Since switching, my relationship has improved, I got a promotion, and my cat sits on my lap more. Also, now I start small talk with strangers about the art of using a safety razor and how it's so much better than every other method of shaving. If they mention that they use an electric or quintuple bladed Gillette, I laugh. I laugh in their poorly shaved faces. Buy this razor and join me today.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2014
Decades ago, I switched from a D-E razor and started using a Gillette Trac II... but I eventually switched to a Schick Quattro, when the Trac II blades became hard to find. I've never really liked the 4-bladed cartridges, because they get clogged up so easily... but prior to Internet shopping, "supply and demand" ruled.

Well, we all know that old habits are hard to change... but I finally got fed up with trying to clean the Quattro blades (and wasting tons of money on them), recalled how easy it is to clean a D-E razor (and how inexpensive the blades are), read dozens of customer reviews of different brands here on Amazon, and ultimately settled on this black-handled Feather, which I purchased from Beauty Point.

The razor itself is nicely made: its mechanism operates smoothly, it has a decently-knurled handle which provides a sure grip... and for a plastic-handled razor, it also has a fairly nice heft.

Like many reviewers point out, shaving with a D-E razor is an acquired skill. If you haven't used one before, and you apply the kind of pressure you're accustomed to using with a "cartridge" razor... along with hair, you're going to lose a good amount of blood and skin. A light touch and multiple passes are needed. Happily, I remembered that... and my first shave with it resulted in absolutely no nicks or blood-loss whatsoever. It also resulted in the closest shave I've had in the past forty years. Not bad, considering that my shaving "prep" consists of hot water, and my "shaving cream" is simply a bar of Purpose soap!

After using it for a few days now, I have to confess that I like the Feather so much, I'm tempted to consider purchasing the impossibly-expensive all-stainless-steel one. I do tend to like super-high-precision, beautifully-crafted and well-engineered mechanisms... so for me, its craftsmanship and heirloom quality would far outweigh the cost.

I am extremely pleased with the service I received from Beauty Point, by the way... and when it comes time to purchase the all-stainless Feather, I will definitely be asking if I can order it from them.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse