Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seki Edge Feather All Stainless Steel Double Edge Safety Razor (AS-D2)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on December 11, 2015
This review differs from many of the other reviews here in that it directly addresses the two primary concerns (some quibbles and some vehement complaints) expressed about the Feather AS-D2: (a) that because it is so mild it allegedly “CANNOT” shave a beard closely, and (b) that it is too expensive.

This reviewer, for more than fifty years, has been “wet” shaving, using a brush (initially, a boar, then, for a quarter-century, a Vulfix 2234s badger, and — for the past two years — a Mühle 33K252 synthetic) to generate lather from specialty soaps. The Feather AS-D2 razor that I bought in October 2015 was not my first Double Edge (DE) razor; it joined two other (quite different) DE razors that I already had been using for some time for my seven-days-a-week shave; were I to purchase new same-brand, same-model, replacements for those razors today, they would cost me $125 and $69, respectively. Because I already had two excellent DE razors in my possession and thus had no pressing NEED to add another, I did not approach the purchase of a Feather AS-D2, at its substantial price, lightly. I first read many of the reviews of the Feather AS-D2 under this Amazon listing — as well as many more reviews on shaving enthusiast sites like shavenook.com and Badger & Blade — and I added the Feather AS-D2 razor with my eyes wide open to the possibility that I could suffer an expensive disappointment.

Let us start, first, with the “too mild to cut” claim. Razor blades cut whiskers: stripped to its essentials, any DE razor is merely a holder for its razor blade; the blade, specifically, the edge of the blade, is what cuts. If the holder (razor) can deliver the edge of the blade to the place where a whisker emerges from the skin, then the blade can slice off the whisker right there. A razor blade in a very mild razor can cut a man's beard every bit as closely and cleanly and smoothly as the same blade would cut the beard when mounted in any other DE razor.

The design of a three-piece DE razor starts with a disposable thin and springy razor blade that has edges on two sides that can be ground wickedly sharp; the blade sits atop a baseplate the top of which is convex-curved or convex-angled; and a top cap with a concave underside clamps the blade down onto the baseplate, bending the blade slightly around the convex center of the baseplate to add rigidity to the blade. The boundary of the top cap above the blade, and the bar or comb that forms the leading edge of the baseplate beneath the blade, define a slot through which the edge of the blade protrudes. Together, two dimensions: (1) the distance that the blade’s edge protrudes beyond the slot (called the “exposure” of the razor) that limits the ultimate depth to which the blade’s edge can penetrate into the thicket of whiskers, and (2) the breadth of the slot between the underside of the blade and the top of the baseplate (called the “gap” of the razor), limit the range of angles within which the razor can be rotated around either the top cap, or the front side of the baseplate, before the edge of blade that touches the face is lifted off the skin. While a specific DE razor’s manufacturing tolerances must be precise, the underlying geometry “ain’t rocket science,” as they say. A razor that has a relatively small gap and relatively small exposure is “mild,” and one that has a larger gap and larger exposure is “aggressive.”

And here is where the difference among DE razors comes: within the narrow range of gaps and exposures, if the range of cutting angles is relatively wide — aggressive — the razor demands less motor coordination from the man holding the razor, and less skill in manipulating the angle of the razor’s handle to his face, to shave the whiskers close to the skin; but that design choice brings with it a concomitant higher risk that he will cut into his skin. Conversely, a design with a very small range of angles and a small blade exposure — mild — requires some experience to learn how to hold the razor’s handle to place the blade at an efficient cutting angle, but provides better safety (less risk of drawing blood). The designer of a DE razor makes decisions relating to the razor head’s geometry that directly affect where on the scale between aggressive (angle-tolerant but risky) or technique-sensitive but safe (no bloodshed) — mild — the razor will fall. When King Gillette brought the first DE razor to market in 1904, the design was conceived as a “safety” razor, in other words, “mild,” and its main selling point was that a man was less likely to cut himself badly with a DE razor than he was when shaving with the “cutthroat” straight razors that were popular at the time. Among current model razors, the Mühle Open Comb Double Edge Safety Razor, R41. which can hold the edge of a razor blade against the skin over a wide range of angles, is an example of a razor near the “aggressive” extreme (search the web for an article, “2011 Mühle R41: My Attempts to Cage ‘The Beast’” if you are interested), while the Feather AS-D2 is near the safe, but technique-sensitive, “mild” extreme.

If you ever have cleaned a window or a glass door with a squeegee like the Ettore 60010 ProGrip Squeegee, you know that it works very efficiently on flat, vertical glass surfaces roughly between your waist level and your shoulder level, but when you have to squeegee a window over your head or down by your knees, you have a harder time keeping its rubber blade edge from skipping. The squeegee does not change; the glass is the same; but the different angle of holding the edge of the squeegee makes a big difference as to how well it works. A mild DE razor, like the Feather AS-D2, behaves like the squeegee; the geometry of our wrists, when our elbows are bent to hold a razor to our faces, will tend to alter the angle of the razor as we pull a blade across our face. Just as a squeegee needs to be held at a proper angle to clean glass effectively, so a DE razor needs to be held at a proper angle to cut whiskers effectively.

A cartridge razor that has multiple blades in a pivoting head works differently than a squeegee does: it self-adjusts the angle of the cartridge relative to the position of the handle as the razor moves across the face. A man who is accustomed to using such a razor may mistakenly think that the Feather AS-D2, the head of which is rigidly fixed atop its handle, “cannot” cut his “coarse” beard; he falsely attributes to the density of his beard the blame for a condition that the angle at which he holds his wrist creates. Similarly, an aggressive Mühle R41 style of DE razor permits great laxity of discipline as to cutting angle, and when a man who is accustomed to shaving with such a razor shaves with the Feather AS-D2, he may hold the AS-D2 razor handle at the same angle that he found comfortable during his habitual shaving with the aggressive razor; but that angle may be an ineffective angle for the narrow gap of the AS-D2’s head geometry — it may roll the cutting edge of the blade up away from where the hair follicle emerges, and therefore the blade does not cut the whisker close to the skin. Then the man may arrive at a false conclusion: when he holds the Feather AS-D2 at his habitual angle and it DOES not cut closely, he concludes that it CAN not cut closely were he to hold at another angle — the correct angle for the AS-D2 — that he has not yet tried.

Here is the reality: loaded with a sharp blade, and held at at the proper angle, a Feather AS-D2 can cut ANY human whiskers, even wiry whiskers that are densely grouped. When a blade mounted in a Feather AS-D2 encounters a whisker within the narrow range of angles that the AS-D2 design allows, it CAN and WILL slice off the whisker just as thoroughly and efficiently, and just as close to the skin, as the same blade would cut the same whisker were it mounted in a Mühle R41 razor. The Feather AS-D2 needs no modification to make it an efficient razor; all that is needed is sufficient repetitions of the practice of holding the razor at the varying proper handle angles as one shaves the curves and corners around one’s face: practice creates muscle memory in one’s hand to the point where one need not think about the handle’s angle any more. The process is really no different from practicing to play a musical instrument: Jimmy Page no longer needs to check his fingers’ position on the frets when he plays Stairway to Heaven.

But I am writing this to tell you that there is another way — a hardware shortcut — to address the “too mild” complaint sometimes made against the Feather AS-D2. A competing maker of stainless steel razors, iKon Razors, makes the iKon B1 Open Comb Deluxe Razor (also known as the “iKon Deluxe OC”), each of the three component parts of which is directly interchangeable with the corresponding part of the Feather AS-D2. Sporadically, iKon Razors offers the baseplate of the iKon Deluxe OC for purchase independently of the rest of the razor, although Amazon currently does not offer the baseplate separately. (*Hint: use your favorite search engine to search the phrase, “Blem DLC Open Comb Base Plate".) When an iKon Deluxe OC baseplate is swapped into the Feather AS-D2 in place of the Feather AS-D2’s native baseplate, the Feather AS-D2 effectively becomes a clone of an iKon Deluxe OC razor, and it will shear whiskers over a broader range of angles of holding the razor; the mild-mannered Clark Kent Feather AS-D2 transforms with the iKon baseplate into Superman with a bit of an attitude. With two alternate baseplates available, one has what amounts to two razors that differ greatly as to aggressiveness. No, the Feather AS-D2 with the iKon Deluxe OC baseplate installed still will not be the barely tamed beast that the Mühle R41 is, but it does move to the aggressive side of neutral.

In the months that I have owned the Feather AS-D2, I have shaved every day with it while my other two DE razors sat, unused, in the cabinet above the sink; I have used it both with the native (solid bar) Feather baseplate and with an iKon Deluxe OC baseplate, and there is a BIG difference between the two configurations. With care and attention, I can get — and have achieved — EVERY BIT AS CLOSE a shave with the native baseplate installed in Feather AS-D2 as I ever get with the iKon Deluxe OC baseplate installed; the iKon baseplate does not add any close-shave capability to the Feather AS-D2; what the iKon baseplate does is trade off some safety against nicks and cuts to make the razor more tolerant of “wrong” technique in holding the razor at the optimal cutting angle. To get a close shave with the native Feather baseplate requires continual adjustment throughout the shave of the angle at which one holds the handle; when one has trained muscle memory to do it automatically, the end result is the same.

Closeness of the shave, however, is only one consideration determining the enjoyment of using a razor: for me, the FEEL of the solid safety bar of the Feather AS-D2 baseplate moving across my face as I am shaving is more pleasant than the FEEL of the open comb of the iKon Deluxe OC baseplate on my face. (Imagine how a Hercules Sagemann Hair Styling Comb being raked across your beard might feel, and you can conjure an idea of what the open comb iKon baseplate feels like.) I continue to work on educating my muscle memory with the Feather baseplate installed, and as I am getting better at using it, the time required to complete a close shave with the native Feather AS-D2 is getting shorter, approaching the time it takes to knock off an efficient shave with one of my other two DE razors. Eventually, I shall have trained my wrist sufficiently to retire the iKon baseplate entirely. In the meantime — today — I can get as close a shave as I ever have achieved with ANY DE razor when I have the native Feather baseplate installed, but I can get as close a shave in LESS TIME with the iKon baseplate installed.

The Feather AS-D2 ships with a pack of five Feather Hi-Stainless DE blades; not surprisingly, the Feather blades work symbiotically with the Feather razor in its stock solid bar baseplate configuration. The Feather blades are very sharp — famously so — but the gauge of steel from which they are fashioned is very thin, and, if a Feather blade is not firmly supported on its under (baseplate) side, it can flap like a flag in a hurricane when the edge faces resistance during a shaving stroke. The underside of the top cap of the Feather AS-D2 razor has a square “post” at each of its four corners that corresponds to cutouts at each of the four corners of a standard DE blade; the top cap’s posts mate snugly into depressions or “sockets” at the corners of the standard AS-D2 baseplate, allowing the top cap and baseplate together to clamp the blade very firmly on both sides along the length of the cutting edge; this is a very unusual design feature of the AS-D2. When the alternative iKon Deluxe OC baseplate is swapped into the AS-D2, the top cap’s posts still stabilize the sides of the blade at the corners, but the iKon baseplate curves down and away from the blade at the front edge, and there are no corresponding baseplate sockets for the posts to fit into; the blade is not as tightly clamped, and a thin blade like the Feather can flex along its edge in that configuration.

I prefer the quality of the shaves that I get when I have loaded the Feather AS-D2 with KAI Stainless Steel Double Edge Razor Blades, which are made in the same small city, Seki, in Gifu Prefecture, where the Feather AS-D2 razor is made, and are (to my perception) just as sharp as the Feather blades; the KAI blades are made from a heavier gauge of stainless steel that is less susceptible to the judder that the Feather blades sometimes exhibit. The KAI blades make at least as excellent a match with the Feather AS-D2 razor using the stock Feather baseplate as the Feather blades do, but the KAI blades are superior to the Feather blades when the iKon Deluxe OC baseplate is substituted. As a bonus, I have found that I get an extra shave or two on a KAI blade, compared to a Feather blade, before reaching the point of having to replace the blade.

Both Feather blades and KAI blades are made in Japan; some other excellent DE razor blades are made in Russia. Having found success with Polsilver Super Iridium (SI) Double Edge Razor Blades (made in a factory in St. Petersburg partially owned by Gillette) and Rapira Swedish Supersteel (SS) Double Edge Blades (made in a factory in Moscow) in my other DE razors, I gave a few of each of those blades a fair try in the Feather AS-D2, and both of the Russian blades gave me a pretty good shave; but the Japanese KAI blades and Feather blades give me a better shave in the Feather AS-D2 than the Russian blades do; "your mileage may vary," as they say.

Now as to price. Several reviewers here on Amazon have opined that the Feather AS-D2 is not “worth” upwards of $150, or that it is “over-priced.” SUBJECTIVE value to an individual is, of course, indisputable. But, on an OBJECTIVE basis, the Feather AS-D2 has a mark-up from the cost of manufacturing it that is commensurate with the mark-up of cheaper, lesser, razors. One legitimately may argue that the molybdenum enhanced and highly corrosion-resistant “marine grade” 316 stainless steel (also known as “surgical stainless steel”) that Feather selected for use in the AS-D2 is overkill, that for razors that are not exposed to saltwater, 316 affords no discernible advantage in the short term over the fairly corrosion-resistant 304 stainless steel that other manufacturers of stainless steel razors use. One legitimately may argue, further, that, having chosen to make the Feather AS-D2 with such high grade stainless steel, it was overkill to plate the steel in chrome; and that it was further overkill to take the extra step to give the chrome a matte finish. Those are valid points, because Feather could have brought a very similar razor to market at a lower price point had it not taken those extra steps. But — relative to its COST to produce — the Feather AS-D2 is very much worth the PRICE for which it sells. Whether such quality is realized subjectively when standing in front of the shaving sink, or whether there is worth to you in knowing that the Feather AS-D2 can be passed down as an heirloom to future generations after lesser DE razors will have bit the dust, are value judgements that each individual must make for himself.

Personally, I find the Feather AS-D2 to be worth its price.

Photos show the gaps and exposures of the Feather AS-D2 razor when it is fitted with the stock solid-bar baseplate vs. when fitted with the alternative open comb baseplate discussed in the review above. If you look carefully, you can discern a view from the side of the square posts at the near corners of the underside of the top cap.
review image review image
99 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2013
Here is a case of getting what you pay for. I was very hesitant to spend this much money on yet another safety razor. In the past I've purchased three different Merkur razors and found them all lacking. By chance I tried a very inexpensive Feather razor (less than $20 here on Amazon) and found it to be very very good. It has a plastic handle and a rather cheap butterfly head, but it gave a very smooth shave with minimal irritation. This led me to investigate the high-end Feather razor and this model in particular which replaces the AS-D1. The reviews were very good. Many reviewers describe it as not being very aggressive, which I'll say I agree with. You are very very unlikely to cut yourself with this razor. Having said that, you will also get a very fine shave with virtually no irritation. It feels almost as if there is no blade in the razor, except the beard disappears. The head is just the right size. The weight of the razor feels good in the hand. The fact that it is stainless steel ensures it will last forever, so this is surely the last razor I will ever have to buy. Granted, the price of this razor is a significant initial investment on par with a high-end electric razor. However, the consumables such as blades, soap and alum are so inexpensive that, in the end, even with an expensive razor, this style of shaving is very inexpensive while also delivering the best shave. If you can manage the price, I strongly recommend this razor. If the price is more than you can justify, I recommend the inexpensive Feather razor (about $18 here on Amazon).
22 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2013
I think I may be cheating and not paying my dues but I decided if I was going to do this DE shaving thing I wanted to do it right!

I am a newbie at DE shaving and only at it a few weeks. I inherited my granddads 1958 red tip and a 62 superspeed and trying to find a blade / cream combo that will work best for me. I have not given up on my classics but my face has been on fire almost every day the last few weeks. I know I am doing everything wrong but I am learning and things are getting better but I think I just moved to the front of the class with my purchase today!

After spending lots of time on the net researching what folks like and don't like I just had to purchase a Feather D2! I received my new Feather AS-D2 stainless razor today and just had my 1st shave with it.

All I can say is WONDERFUL! No razor burn at all! 1st time ever my Clubman aftershave did not burn me! I found this razor to be mild but I like that. It did not scare me and I was using the Feather blades that I understand are about as sharp as anything.
I wanted to see what the buzz was with this Japanese Razor. Based on my limited experience I do think the Feather is a very forgiving razor and does not care if I have bad technique.

I don't think most folks would recommend spending this money for a Newbie... but why not?

I don't drive the best car and I don't have the best house but I can afford one of the best razors when I think about the burn and cuts and the joy of using it.

I do recommend this razor to the newbie that does not want to butcher his face because of lack of experience / technique / blade choice. This razor just works with no learning curve.

I compare the feel, fit and finish of this razor to a Japanese Mitutoyo micrometer that I used in my machine shop days. If any of you have ever worked in a machine shop you know exactly what I am talking about.

You can hold a Mitutoyo micrometer or this Feather razor in you hand and feel the superior Japanese precision compared to others.

What a wonderful razor and what a perfect shave I received today!
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2013
The combination of Feather blades and this razor makes for a shave that you hear, but don't feel. It gives me the smoothest shave of any razor I have ever used.

Some people may say that this razor is too mild, but it is the only razor I have used with Feather razor blades (generally recognized as the sharpest on the market) without a single nick or bump. It cut though a 5-day growth without clogging and with minimal need for second passes.

The solid stainless steel construction makes this feel like a fine tool that will last a lifetime and beyond, unlike the chrome-plated Merkurs. True, it is almost jaw-droppingly expensive, but based on my experience with Merkur razors (my 38C is losing chrome after only 3 years of light use), I would probably need to buy at least 4 or 5 of those throughout my lifetime, whereas I am very confident that I will be able to leave this razor to my future grandchildren in my will; the cost is a wash, at worst.

Blades seat in the head precisely and they are perfectly centered. My Merkur shaves more aggressively on one side than the other because the blade does not center properly (either that or the head was cast off-center). Not so with the Feather: Both sides shave exactly the same, and the very slight curve to the blade makes it seem less springy, if that makes any sense.

My only complaints are about the handle: 1) It is a bit thin--almost dainty--compared to my former favorite razor, the Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor 38C; and 2) there is no knob at the end of the handle, again, like the 38C, which would make it a bit easier to hold without fear of slippage.

As I use the Feather over the next 40 or 50 years, though, I expect I'll get used to those small quirks and grow to love them. I hope the same is true for whoever is lucky enough to inherit this fine razor from me when I shuffle off this mortal coil.
66 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2015
Ignore the naysayers. I, like many here have just recently cut the strings to the multi-blade razor fanaticism. I can recall a time when I shaved daily using a de razor & Wilkinson Sword blades, perhaps 20-25 years ago and then somehow I succumbed to the belief that the more blades you had, the closer & smoother the shave. So, for the last 20ish years I've been merrily shaving away with multi-blade razors that now feature swiveling heads, and shock absorbers, and vibrating heads, and batteries and prices that see no end in sight. The last time I went to buy refills for my plastic multi-blade razor I balked at the $35.00 cost, and began to really think about any benefits I'd realized over the past years after switching to this multi-blade madness, and reasoned that I had not actually realized any advantages or benefits what-so-ever, That's when I decided to pick up the $19.00 razor/blades combo I had just seen advertised on TV, and raced home to a welcomed close shave that opened the door to a flood of good memories of shaving with my dad's old Gillette de razor. I knew there had to be something better than this, so I started my due diligence and came across an article about the Feather All Stainless D2 razor, I realized this was it for me, obvious quality, mildness, and something I could leave my grandson, but I was almost scared off by reports of users mangling their faces with this razor, or reports of the razor being too mild to really cut through a tough beard, my beard, typical of my ethnicity is wiry, tough and tightly curled... a challenged to be sure for most blade/razor combos, add to this my demand for a very close shave in as little as two passes, and the quest was on. Ignoring the naysayers and jumping into the fray, I ordered the Feather D2 and 2 days later I was in close shave heaven... not a single nick, cut, scrape, pull at all! Just the finest and closest shave I can remember or imagine, yes baby butt smooth, A shave so memorable I wake every morning looking forward to my new morning ritual which sets the tone for the day's office meetings, tech debriefs, calls for financial assistance from the grandkids, minor disagreements with the better half, and oh, so many other potentially happiness killing encounters vetted during the day. In quick order I included the following beta inducers into my morning ritual to make my D2 experience even more Nirvana.... The Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush Chrome Handle , The Apollo Stainless Steel Soap Bowl, The Edwin Jagger Contemporary Chrome Plated Shaving Soap Bowl, the oh so wonderful Men's Soap Company Himalayan scented Premium Shave Soap With Coconut Oil & Shea Butter, oh yeah and the Perfecto Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand. Trust me, ignore those advancing the idea that the D2 is either too mild, or too hard to handle without blood loss, or too expensive. I have never been more satisfied with any purchase in my life, and highly recommend this product to newbie & experienced users alike.
on December 22, 2015
Price paid: 162.39 USD.
I enjoy fine Swiss watches, best quality hand tools, vintage firearms,
and good quality cookware.
I don't enjoy buying things twice, so I purchased this highly touted razor.
After receiving and using this razor, I see that this razor will certainly outlast me
given the meticulous build-quality and the obvious pride that Japanese craftsmen
took when producing my Feather razor.

The razor head holds the blade with zero variation, the blade doesn't protrude
out the sides like my less expensive Edwin Jagger. The threads and the diamond
knurling on the handle are first class. The razor as a whole has the tightest tolerances
I've seen on any competing product. The stainless steel used is jeweler's quality (316),
and is also employed on fine watch cases and surgical instruments around the world.

If I can spend hundreds of dollars on a Snap-On ratchet, and treat myself to
a Swiss watch, or a fine vintage handgun – it stands to reason that I
would buy a jewel-like razor such as this Feather. I pined for this razor for two years,
mind you. Life is short (believe me) – treat yourself to a goody now and then.
How about dad or your brother? They'd love this razor, and you for being
so thoughtful and generous.

If money's tight I might suggest to you that you try the less costly Feather butterfly razor.
Stock number: ASIN: B003YJ70NY
It clocks in at under 15.00 and it is comfortable and better made than its price
would suggest. It's a great intro into the world of Feather razors and it out-performs
razors in the 50.00 price range including my Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl, which has
tooling marks, and the chrome plating had begun to peel near the threads and
head. In all fairness, the company has a fine reputation for replacing faulty razors.
I'm on my second one in three years. (was anyway)
The Feathers (the cheaper one too) have supplanted all the other razors I own.
I use the cheaper Feather for travel.

If you're a Fusion or Hydra user, your Feather razor will pay for itself in under a year,
blades included if you change out the blade every four shaves. Find a blade that you like
by ordering a sampler pack. Try to find a pack that includes Wilkinson Sword, Astra Superior
Premium Platinum, and Gillette Silver Blue. The Feather razor comes with 5 Feather razor blades to try out.
I prefer the Astra Superior Premium Platinum blades, 100-pack which last me a full year. ASIN: B00EXPTR0W
For under 12.00 I have blades for a full year! Try THAT with Fusions or Hydras.

I use the following shaving accessories:
Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush, ASIN: B000G647Y8
Proraso Refresh Shave Soap Jar, ASIN: B004N8SI5O
Perfecto Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand, ASIN: B00KO46CTA
GABELS Bay Rum After Shave Lotion, ASIN: B000IX1D50

Happy shaving to you all.
on July 23, 2013
I've never tried the AS-D1, but I own over a dozen DE razors and the Feather AS-D2 has got to be the smoothest most forgiving razor I've tried. In my opinion it is a mild razor, but unlike some razors it will get the job done, it just takes more passes. I could shave twice a day and it takes at least 4-5 passes with the AS-D2 for my beard. At first I thought this was just too mild for me, but then I noticed that the shave was incredibly consistent where I didn't need to go back and hit certain spots again. It also has to be the most forgiving razor I've tried. I don't get any irritation or nicks no matter how I whip this razor around my face; I don't think it matters what level your technique is at. It's also a very well made razor. This is just one of those products that "reeks" of quality. If you can afford the price tag and want the more forgiving DE razor around, I think this may be it.
on October 3, 2014
Double edge razor shaving is pretty scary. I have an adjustable Merkur double edge razor and after nearly slitting my throat with it, I'm terrified to use it. I went back to the hated 2, 3, 4, and 5 blade shavers, not changing the blade for months at a time because I had to choose whether to spend my paycheck on my mortgage or razor blades. Then I read the reviews of this way-too-expensive-but-oh-so-beautiful razor and succumbed to it's siren call. It's billed as being a non-aggressive shave, meaning it's not going to take your face off with the whiskers. And that is absolutely true. I use Feather double edge blades in it (Feather blades are the scariest and sharpest blades made) and I have never gotten a serious nick. This razor glides across the skin and after a few weeks usage, you will shave without terror. I do.
on February 14, 2014
This razor is fantastic. I started using a DE razor 45 years ago and I am glad to have another one.
review image review image review image review image
on December 7, 2015
Let's get price out of the way first. Yes, expensive. Worth it? Well, to me it is. The quality and workmanship as well as the look and feel make it so. Having said that, I will admit you are paying a premium price for a premium product. That is all very subjective and I admit some, if not many may, not see it as so. Nevertheless it is a fine product that will last for ages. As to how it shaves, some have said that it is not aggressive enough. Again, that is subjective and can vary from person to person. I have a medium weight beard and this razor is the most comfortable I have ever shaved with. It is not as aggressive as some may wish, but that is fine with me. Comfort trumps speed and aggressiveness, as far as I am concerned. If I have a week's growth of beard (retired and lazy!) I may start with one of my more aggressive razors such as my Edwin Jager or Merkur, but still switch to this razor for my neck and chin. Sometimes I will just use this razor on a week's growth. It may take a few more swipes and a little longer, but I always get a smooth close shave. HO NICKS! No irritation. If you can afford it, I highly recommend this razor. Enamor thing. I only use Feather razors blades. They are the best. Tried 'em all. Always go back to the Feathers.