on February 19, 2011
Verified Purchase
A tad on the expensive side but in my opinion well worth the investment if you appreciate the very best. It is precision carved out of solid stainless steel and as a result it will never tarnish or lose its lovely appearance. With only minimal care it is also likely to become a family heirloom maybe even several times over.

Everyone's face is slightly different but I am getting the best "safety razor" shaves that I have ever had with this razor and I have have a pretty thick beard. I'm no novice to this shaving and I have also used several other quality DE razors in the past but they will now be retired. Yes, it is a "milder" shaver that was almost certainly designed with extremely sharp Feather blades in mind. But the two together make an excellent combination and so I have not tried it with other blades.

I was concerned about the mildness criticism and also the price after reading a few other reviews but I needn't have worried - at least for me this so called mildness actually translates into the ability to apply more pressure while also shaving much faster and ending up with far fewer nicks and less irritation in the process. I have now learned that aggressive razors will remove a little skin as well as bristles and this razor just doesn't do that resulting in fewer cuts. The shave itself is at least as good or better than any other razor that I have tried.

I also love the way that it clamps down on the blade solidly all over it's surface and then supports it right up to the cutting edge. I think that this also really improves the shaving feel and it has me wondering why more DE razors don't do this. In any case the result is a very smooth and quiet shave. Where other razors twang, click and ring out as the edge of the blade cuts through your bristles this razor by contrast is almost completely silent. It also just feels good.

But the really important point for me is that getting a good shave is now easier and faster to achieve with less blood loss and irritation in the process. The more I use it the more I love it! If you have the money I say go for it.

Bob.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2010
Verified Purchase
I know this razor is expensive, not sure if it is actually worth the cost...what is anything really worth? Well, for me this razor is worth the cost, I enjoy fine crafted items and this one will not disappoint...from the moment you open the very nice presentation box to the first time holding the solidly built razor, it just oozes quality. The Japanese are famous for improving other inventions and this is no different, they took an old design and made some minor tweaks, used premium materials and crafted an excellent razor. How does it perform? Very nice, the extremely tight tolerances in the machined head hold the blade perfectly (zero way to load the blade crocked...) and off you are to a great shave. The handle feels very solid and sure in your hand, there is no way this razor will slip out of your hand. The head is thin allowing you to get up high under your nose and again the feeling when using this razor is very solid! OK, I really like this razor, but in true Japanese fashion there is nothing flashy about this razor, it is just a precision built tool that was built to last and always deliver a good shave...the razor is not aggressive but provides a smooth close shave! If you like high quality that is designed to repeat the same function flawlessly every time (I.e., the blade is 100% cover inside the head, no chance of ever loading the blade incorrectly) the the Feather Stainless Razor is something you should buy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
As is typical of Feather products, the machining of the razor is immaculate, and you would have to use a magnifying glass to find any flaws. The razor has a nice weight, not as heavy as some of my others, but heavier than average. The handle is about 1/2" longer than an average DE razor, which feels very nice during use.

So is it worth the money? That depends: 1)What type of shaver are you? and 2)What are you used to shaving with? So let's address this:

1. The razor seems great if you have to shave every day of the week (i.e. you are basically a maintenance shaver). It is very mild, and you can shave every day without getting razor burn. However, if you wait a few days between shaves, you may find yourself needing to take 5-7 passes to knock everything off smooth.

2. If you are used to an aggressive razor (like my Ikon S3S, Merkur Open Comb Slant Bar, or Muehle Open Comb R-41), you will likely be very disappointed by the shave from the Feather. The comb is very tight against the top plate, which means your angle has to be absolutely perfect or it will not shave. With a few days growth, even when you get the angle perfect and it shaves, you seem to have to take a couple strokes just to get through the cream to your stubble, rinse the head, then a couple more strokes to cut off a teeny bit of the growth, re-lather, repeat 5 more times.

Although the price is toward the high end of the market, it would be a great razor for a beginner as it is very hard to cut yourself with it. In addition, since it will only shave when held within a window of just a couple of degrees, it will teach you proper angles very quickly.

My final impressions: As a somewhat experienced wet shaver with very bristly beard, I was impressed initially until I used it a few times with a couple of days worth of stubble. It became more and more frustrating as it frequently seemed to not even remove the cream completely from my face, let alone the stubble. I added a second blade, and finally a third, and with three blades in it the comb had opened enough that it felt like a medium-aggressive razor (i.e. Edwin Jagger DE-89). Granted, I mix a very rich & slick lather suited for straight razor shaving, and I would primarily shave with either a straight razor or the Ikon S3S on a daily basis, both of which are very aggressive. I suppose if I added enough water to make it really runny, it might be a little easier to cut through the cream, but my honest opinion is that the gap between comb and top plate is much too narrow, causing it to load with cream instantly.

Decided to return it with reluctance, as the quality and feel is superb despite the price. Friend heard I was sending it back, asked to try it, and it was love at first sight. Ironically he is a 7-day-a-week shaver, confirming my original theory about this being perfect for maintenance shaves.
on September 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
I have been using Merkur razors for the past 30 years. I was never completely happy with the shave I got however. The two that I had didn't give me a close enough shave so I supplemented with a multi-blade razor to finish the job. The chrome on the Merkur also broke down after some number of years. I decided to go all stainless and the Feather is what came up in a Google search. An expensive razor for sure but now that I have it I love the razor and the money is forgotten. Definitely a precision machined piece of hardware that is a pleasure to shave with. I am also getting a closer shave than the Merkur's gave me and it doesn't tear your face off in the process. I have so far only used CVS double edged blades, nothing fancy, and they have worked just fine.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is my second, and probably last, DE razor. I started my DE career with a Merkur C34 last year and after some learning time, was able to reliably get very smooth shaves with it. The C34 gave me much less irritation than the cartridge razor I used before that, but my skin still burned slightly after shaving with it, and the occasional nick still occurred. I don't have a very strong beard, but I have sensitive skin on my neck, and getting my neck smooth with the C34 always left a couple of spots red and irritated. I bought the Feather based on the reviews saying that it was very well made and that it had a small blade gap and still delivered BBS shaves with no irritation. I have not been disappointed.

The craftsmanship on the Feather is superb - it is a piece of art in itself, a simple design built to perfection with a wonderfully understated matte brushed finish to it. I shave every day and I look forward to taking this tool into my hand every morning. The precision design results in a very uniform, very small blade gap, which, in turn, makes it very hard (though not impossible) to nick your skin with this razor. When I first shaved with the Feather, I was amazed at how little irritation my skin showed, but I was not too impressed by the shave, which was not as close as I used to get with the C34. It took me about two weeks of playing around with pressure and head angle to find the sweet spot of this razor. I found that using almost no pressure and a pretty high angle of about 60-70 degrees, where I feel almost all plate and just a touch of blade on my skin delivers extremely close shaves that are virtually irritation-free.

The feel of the Feather shave is very different from that of the C34. I use the Feather razor with Feather blades and this combination produces a very smooth glide as it cuts, and does so in almost complete silence, while the C34 is outright noisy in comparison, giving much clearer audible feedback on whether the blade is working correctly or not. With the Feather, I almost exclusively rely on how the razor feels on my skin. For me, the sweet spot of this razor is the point where I wonder whether the blade is doing anything at all or whether I am just scraping the lather off my face with the plate. This took some getting used to, but now I actually like these "silent cuts" the Feather delivers. Also, because it is so hard to nick your skin with this razor, I can use it in the shower, which I would never dare to do with the C34.

The Feather definitely has a longer learning curve than the C34, but getting that first BBS shave without any nicks or irritation is an absolute revelation well worth every penny spent on this weapon. Shaving has become something like a Zen ceremony for me, and the Feather fits perfectly into it. When I have the time in the morning, it is an absolute pleasure to reduce the stubble to nothingness, but even when I am in a hurry the Feather delivers a great shave without the risk of nicks and the irritation I got from the C34.

For me, the Feather shaves are not any closer than C34 shaves, but much more comfortable. Highly recommended.

UPDATE 3/2013: I still love this razor and have not used anything else for a while. As this razor is very well built, I expect this to last for decades. My favorite blade in it is a Shark Super Chrome, which is just as sharp as the Feather, but much smoother.
on June 7, 2011
Feather AS-D1 All-Stainless Steel Safety Razor 3.5 inch razor

This is a luxurious, brilliantly designed safety razor. Although one might consider it expensive, it is worth the investment! It is lightweight, firm, and glides well. Once you master pressure, angle, and find the perfect blade, you will not have to purchase another razor in your life time--unless you are a collector like some of us! Read the book, "Gourmet Shaving" for further advice and conversation. Happy shaving!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've been mostly an electric razor guy while venturing on occasion into the disposable multi-blade cartridge world. I decided to quit buying the expensive cartridges and seek shaving nirvana. Thanks to Amazon reviews, I discovered the safety razor so decided to give it a try. I started with a Merkur 1904 razor and wasn't happy with it because I couldn't keep my grip on it in the shower. Decided to go high end with the stainless steel Feather. Bingo! MUCH easier to hold onto the machined stainless steel handle of this razor. The razor is very nicely made and has a nice weight feel. It gives a great, albeit mild shave - just takes a little extra time & patience to get the close shave desired. I enjoy the quiet shave (vs electric) & calming pace with my Feather razor. My daughter tried this razor on her legs ... loved it ... & kept the damn thing! Turns out the Feather razor is great for shaving legs too - it's easy to grip & doesn't give her razor bumps & rash she was experiencing with the cartridge razors. Yes - I did try to get her to like my Merkur 1904 but no dice. So I bought another safety razor, this time an Edwin Jagger (looked grippy) hoping to save some $$. Turns out I couldn't grip it in the shower. So I purchased my second Feather razor. I'll be purchasing my third Feather when my other Daughter discovers her sister's Feather:)
on December 5, 2012
Verified Purchase
The best razor I ever used. Once you get the proper angle it gives you a very remarkable shave. Very difficult to actually cut yourself while you use it.
on October 11, 2013
Great razor, even for beginners. Easily pays for itself compared with Mach3 razors. I would recommend the switch if the cost of the Mach3 is an issue or an annoyance. I couldn't say that about my previous safety razor or my Feather straight edge.

This replaced my Gillette butterfly adjustable safety razor that is at least 40 - 50 or more years old and still working as it should. My dad gave me his second razor when I started shaving all those many years ago.

The low and wide profile of the shaving head compared to my Gillette safety razor allows me to get under the nose and behind the ears just as well and nearly as easily as a disposable.

I shave both my face and my head and with this razor and I can work nearly as fast and nearly as carelessly as I can with the Mach3. My older Gillette safety razor takes much longer and nicks are not uncommon; especially on the chin and against the grain on the neck when going for a really close shave.

I have to take several passes depending on the length of the beard at the time. That is true however for any razor I have be it the Mach3, Braun electric, Feather straight edge or my safety razors. I take small passes not long ones, that is shave a small area at one time not in comparison a larger one.

The heaviness of the shaving head (I think but don't know) is a bonus and helps with the shave. I think in some ways it has the same affect as the Mach3 'shaving lubrication pad', as well as pushing the hairs up very easily to be cut. I can shave more often with this razor than my other razors, including my electric if I go more than a day between shaves.

Skin prep and skin aftercare have as much to do with how often I can shave as anything; however being that even the electric razors can and have cut me, this Feather safety razor is real easy on my face and is now my go to razor for shaving. Haven't had to use a styptic pencil yet in the short time I've had this razor.

Since I've rambled on so I may as well continue with a suggestion for consideration for those new to wet shaving. I have had much luck with 'repairing' the skin after the shave by using some baby/mineral oil and then talc (Clubman) powder. I may use witch hazel and some aftershave (Proraso liquid cream) before that if I'm so inclined. The before shave part I find best to have showered and to keep the skin slippery while shaving. Prepping the skin with a little eucalyptus or peppermint oil and some water before using the shave soap or cream doesn't hurt either. The Proraso line of products have the eucalyptus and menthol already mixed in various creams or soaps and you may find that is to your liking. I buy 16oz eucalyptus and peppermint oil from Now Foods however and is really cheap in comparison. Additionally Shave Nation has some good (free) videos on wet shaving. [...] Do know that unlike the Mach3 you don't shave as if you were using a rake on your skin. Let the the head rest (or start) on your face and adjust your angle as needed; but most importantly let the razor do the work, no need to add much if any pressure at all.

FYI: I paid $179 for the razor, many vendors are charging much more, so look around. I wish I could get the stand that goes with this razor but it is sold as a package deal and it is well over $300 for the combo. Oh well.
on February 5, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have an assortment of Merkur and Jagger razors. I would enjoy alternating them, as they are fairly different. I was skeptical of this purchase because of the price, but finally did get one about months ago and I use it almost exclusively now. It is superbly crafted and well balanced.

It is very mild and you aren't going to cut yourself, but too mild for me. I can't even hear the shaving action as the whiskers cut. But I read a review elsewhere in which the author used more than one blade in it. I found that three blades gives the right aggressiveness and I can hear the shaving action. This is a good use for my old unused "assortment" blades. For the blade closest to the face I use a Feather. Feather blades are too sharp to use for my other razors but perfect here (brilliant marketing strategy). Even with three blades it is too mild for multi-day beards, and I switch to another razor for that. But for the daily shave it is excellent. One can use a little more pressure than normal. I do three passes (standard with, across, and against the grain) followed by a "polishing" pass - see "Gourmet Shaving" - using jojoba oil. (The jojoba oil - a wax really - is such a great moisturizer, and leaves my skin feeling so good, that I now apply it to my entire face. Why not - it just takes ten drops?).

One problem I had is that a couple of months into using it the head worked loose during a shave and I got a nick, not too serious. (I can see a disadvantage here for the three piece design where the head twists vs. the two-piece where a knob at the base of the handle releases the top plate.) But a couple of days ago the same thing happened while shaving my chin and it took a good while of applying pressure to stop the bleeding. All of a sudden in the mirror I saw blood in several places. I never had that happen with other razors. This may have happened because of the smoothness of the mating surfaces or the fact that one may use more pressure with this razor or both. So I roughed up the top of the handle, where it meets the bottom plate, with a Dremel tool and it now releases somewhat less easily.

I am thinking to buy one for my nephew, a new wet shaver. Worth the $$

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations