Published on March 10, 2011 by gina

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, unorganized, repetitious
Published on February 15, 2011 by Andrea

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, unorganized, repetitious, February 15, 2011
This book has good information regarding foods to boost collagen and elastin production, and how to keep from sabotaging your complexion by eating foods that will cause breakouts and other skin conditions...but, it's very poorly organized. There are interjections with pages of unrelated information and chapters repeat paragraphs, verbatim, from prior chapters. There is a sample "diet" in the back that helps a person create a meal plan that incorporates all of the foods she recommends, but it seems to be somewhat tailored to asian cuisine. I also felt that it really needed a summary of what foods provide what benefit so it would be easier to modify your own taste interests to incorporate her suggestions. The most I got from this book was that the superfoods are: red and orange veggies and almonds, and that the skin produces Vitamin D through a chemical reaction with the sun's rays (UVB or UVA..? don't recall which she said). She also pushes a lot of products by brand name which she admits she's been paid to research...which makes me assume she has a bias towards certain products regardless of whether they are truly the best. She also promotes her own practice and says that botox and other procedures are good to do and that she's basically the best.

I just didn't get a good feeling that I could believe everything because of her personal interest in selling/promoting her products and services, but there were some good tidbits of information about nutrients in food and the benefits, and descriptions of skin and hair problems and which nutrient would fix it (like why some people's eye brows get so thin on the edges, and why eyes get puffy), so I didn't feel like it was a total waste of money. You just have to suffer through a bunch to get those good tidbits.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU'RE SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR SKIN, THIS BOOK WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE, March 10, 2011
My sister gave me this book because I spend a lot of money on skin care products and she's always trying to get me to eat better. I was skeptical, but willing to give it a try. Well, I'm so glad she insisted that I read it. It's truly changed my life and the way i think about food and my skin. After reading the book I'm much more careful about what I put in my body because I know it's going to come out on my skin, and let me tell you, I've never looked or felt better. In the past month since i've been following the feed your face advice, I've lost 7 pounds and I have more energy than ever. And my skin, which used to break out around that time of the month, doesn't freak out around my period any more. It was really fun and easy to read --especially the celebrity diaries and stories about Dr. Wu's patients. My favorite part was the chapter on what to order at restaurants, since my job requires a lot of entertaining, and now I know what to order (and drink) when eating out. I also liked that each chapter has a summary so you can flip to the back to get the most important points. Also, a lot of Dr. Wu's advice is stuff I never heard of before, so I didn't feel like I'd "been there done that." This is a MUST READ if you care about your skin!! and your health.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing I didn't know., February 6, 2012
This review is from: Feed Your Face: Younger, Smoother Skin and a Beautiful Body in 28 Delicious Days (Paperback)
I can't say I learned anything new from this book. You can find most of the information (at least for acne and rosacea) from reading free websites. Dr. Wu comes across as really condeited at some points (somethings like "during awards season, I'm on speedial for all the actresses." and "I'm the best at Botox in the whole country") which detracted from the book in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book, February 2, 2011
When I heard about this book I thought this is perfect. We spend so much money on external products to keep our faces looking young and beautiful. This book teaches you what to eat to make your face look beautiful from the inside out. Not only do you look more beautiful but your body feels healthy.

I was so happy how this book covered the different problems one can have with their skin, and what to eat to improve it. So what ever you are trying to improve this book as the solution. It is detailed and teaches you what you need to know, and what a FUN read. It also gives you sample menus and what to eat at popular restaurants.

Dr. Jessica Wu has covered all the bases and made it fun. This is a must read for anyone looking to improve their skin quality along with making your body feel wonderful.

Thank You Dr. Jessica Wu.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feed Your Face, March 12, 2011
"Feed Your Face" is such a good book and exactly what I was looking for. It gives such good information about eating healthy and tells exactly what to eat. Dr. Jessica Wu is so awesome to share this info with everyone. I have been following the plan for about 2 weeks now and I feel awesome, plus I have lost some weight too. Thanks Dr. Wu for your book - I recommend this to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, INSIGHTFUL, MUST READ!, February 16, 2011
Dr. Wu is clearly at the top of her game and provides practical, insightful advice for anyone interested in improving their health and appearance in simple, logical ways. Her observations come from the years of experience as one of Los Angeles'--if not the country's--TOP Dermatologists. She's a Harvard Medical School graduate and yet talks in a way that is accessible and intelligent without being clinical and dry. This book is an absolute MUST READ for anyone interested in making life improvements. You will be doing yourself a favor. Period.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY A GREAT BOOK FOR KNOWING WHAT TO EAT!!!!, February 3, 2011
This is a great book...it gives you great suggestions on what you should eat. The book is very easy to read, especially explaining the science behind and has real stories to help you remember. I love how the book explains the answers to all the beauty questions I've wondered and didn't know who to ask. I'm recommending the book to all my friends!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for Dr. Wu!, February 2, 2011
This is one of the best skin books I've ever read -- and I read them for a living. Dr. Wu has so much practical, smart advice -- from her experience as a dermatologist and with her patients. For anyone with any kind of skin care issue -- including aging (hello!) this book is for you. Dr. Wu, thanks for writing Feed Your Face.

4.0 out of 5 stars informative, March 11, 2011
chamelean75 (berkeley, california) - See all my reviews
This book is very informative. I thought that the book would be boring and dry but it wasn't. Jessica Wu does a great job with introducing various foods, recipes, and even what to eat at common restaurants in an easy to understand manner. The beginning of the books discusses how she first got into dermatology and how she treated her skin when she was younger and even the skin problems she had. The, Dr. Wu discusses the science of skin and its various layers. After that, she goes into depth about the different ways food can affect your skin. For example, there is a section on acne, on skin conditions like eczema and rosacea, and a section about preventing wrinkles and keeping your skin elastic. Additionally, there is a section hair and how to keep it strong and youthful.

After all these sections, she delves in a 28 day diet and throws in a few easy and simple recipes. In the center of the book, there are some before and after photos of some of the patients who tried her 28 day diet.

Lastly, Dr. Wu discusses what you can order at restaurants that wont destroy your skin.

Overall, the book was informative and helpful. The end of each chapter has a table that summarizes what foods that chapter recommends so you don't have to go through the chapter again to find out which foods to eat.

The book lost a star because in some parts, it was quite repetitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars If your looking to clear up adult acne, READ THIS, June 10, 2013
I picked this book up 5 months ago when it was mentioned in another book's review on Amazon. I've suffered from moderate adult acne for over a decade and was looking for a solution that did not involve expensive products or medications. While I'm sure both would help (and have in the past) I was really looking for a long term solution. I found that with Feed Your Face. The book's premise is focused on explaining how what you put into your body effects how your body will operate overall including your skin. Having been told my entire life that "what you eat doesn't effect your acne" this was a challenging concept. I found Dr. Wu's writing style easy to read, easy to follow and understand. While the diet does come across as extreme at first, I was tired of dealing with the pain of adult acne and decided to give it a serious try. Five months later, my skin is COMPLETELY CLEAR and I only experience break-outs when I eat outside the prescribed diet. Also, as a side bonus I lost 15lbs just by focusing on Dr. Wu's recommendations. I believe this book is a blessing to those who suffer from acne and I recommend it to anyone that desires to improve the health of their skin.

$16.99 $11.79