Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Feedback Sports Truing Station One Color, One Size
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

I've owned this stand for something short of 7 years, though mine is branded "Ultimate" ('Ultimate Bike Support' was the small Colorado-based company that closed its doors when the owner retired, and turned its products over to 'Feedback Sports,' another small Colorado company).

A bit of background: I began building and maintaining my wheels since for something more than 10 years, and for a while I was using a fairly inexpensive Spin Doctor stand from Performance Bike (a rebadged Minoura). A little flexy, used some plastic parts where it shouldn't have, but all-in-all a decent stand. The wheel centering feature wasn't reliable, so I relied on the proven "flip-flop method" to ensure the rim was centered between the axle locknuts. Despite the fact it had left and right feelers, truing and building sessions were typically one-sided operations.

I finally decided I wanted to upgrade to something beefier and self-centering, so I spent some money on the Park Tool Professional Wheel Truing Stand (link to TS-2.2 which has been updated to accept 29" wheels with tires mounted). Extremely uncompromised, beefy, shop-quality stand, but no weighted base (by no means a deal killer) and to my disappointment, the "self centering" feature of this stand was an approximation, not a mechanical certainty, and that caused me to quickly return it for a refund -- I'd be right back doing 1-sided flip-flop sessions as I had been with the Minoura.

Short of shelling out serious cash ($400+) for Park's true self-centering and gorgeous TS-3, I figured I was stuck doing the flip-flop (or using a dishing guage). So why not try a stand that didn't pretend, accommodated 29-inch rubber (mounted & inflated), and cost nearly a third of what I'd just paid for the TS-2? I picked up an Ultimate.

Despite the positive reviews I'd read up to that point, I was a tiny bit skeptical of the single-sided design's ability to support my wheels without sagging. I've got to tell you, I've been using the one-armed Ultimate for over a year, and I've been completely satisfied with it the whole time.

The true test has got to be this: over 8 pounds of wheel, consisting of a Rohloff Speehub laced to a 700c Mavic touring rim, and a 600g+ 29" Nanoraptor tire mounted and inflated. The stand is perfectly stable in all directions (thanks I guess to the heavy cast iron base -- the base alone weighs over 6 pounds).

That I can quickly true up a wheel this size without removing the tire is nice. And while, if I force it, I can cause a few millimeters of side-to-side flex where the indicator meets the rim's sidewall, it all holds perfectly steady under normal use and doesn't show any slop. My builds are uncompromised. I really can't find any fault to complain about.

It can hold 20mm thru-axles with no problem when using Problem Solvers 20mm Hub Adaptor for Truing Stands and a rear wheel skewer.

The one-armed design is actually somewhat freeing, giving me unobstructed access to the "working side" of the wheel. Storage space is minimal (I used to re-box the Minoura to tuck it away; the Park would have been problematic because it comes with no base so must be mounted to a sheet of plywood, at minimum -- unless it's bolted to your work bench).

I use a Park Tool WAG-4 Professional Wheel Alignment Gauge dishing guage, which allows me to check dish without removing the wheel from the Ultimate stand, making my truing sessions even quicker.

The feeler gauges are plastic with spring-loaded metal tips. They lack mechanical precision that steel feelers mounted to threaded rod would have, but that has no impact in actual use. Each "click" of the adjustment wheel extends the feeler in 0.1mm increments, which is precise enough to feel out the seam in some rims, or the label applied to others. And the feelers slide the full length of the arm, meaning they can be used to check trueness on disc brake rotors, as well!

If you're an occasional wheel builder who does not need a truing stand set up on the workbench 24/7, the Ultimate / Feedback Truing Station is a very good way to go about it.
66 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2011
This is an absolute must for anyone wanting to work on todays bicycle wheels. This particular product helped me fix seven bicycles in less than 3 hours by bacicly balancing the wheels using a spoke wrench. It has to alignment pins for sideways kick and overall roundness. By side kick i mean when riding you wheel hits the brake pad and screeches. Roundness means and up and down as you are coasting on a flat road. This item improved my overall riding experience 100%. It had been almost 30 years since i had worked on a bicycle. Wow what a wake up call. Bikes got expensive and tricky. This is an absolute must for anyone wanting to work on your own bicycle and it will save you money fast. It was only 70 dollars but three bicycles to have "tuned up" would have cost 180 dollars. So that showed me the money!!!!!!!

Easy open access to any part on the wheels. Perfect item!! I fully agree with previous review as well.
on October 21, 2012
My favorite thing about this truing stand is that it can be removed from its base and attached to a folding workstand. It is small and light enough to chuck into the car without an afterthought. However this is its only advantage. The reason is simple: there are other truing stands at this price point where the contacts do not move, and thus the resulting wheel is more true.

I have trued hundreds of wheels on the TS 2.2. As was mentioned in another review, even when calibrated, the centering is not exact. In the dozen wheels I have trued on the Feedback stand, I have found that it will not dish the wheel satisfactorily without a dish stick either. To dish a wheel precisely, a dish stick must be used. It doesn't matter what kind of stand you are using.

On the Feedback stand, there is 1mm of play at the contacts when the mechanism is sprung tight, but the spring is finicky, so it can move easily if you knock it with a wheel. So, if you are extremely careful not to bump the thing, you will be able to true the wheel to a 1mm tolerance. In a real world situation, the spinning and stopping will vibrate the spring mechanism open, creating additional loss of precision. For reference, most people in the industry will consider .5mm unacceptable. I am not a great wheelbuilder myself, so I aim for .5mm. No matter how fancy the truing stand, it is critical that the contact points stay put!

Truing with the Feedback stand takes me over twice as long as with the TS 2.2 and does not achieve what I consider satisfactory precision. If you are on a budget, Roger Musson wrote a fantastic book about wheelbuilding which includes instructions on how to build a truing stand and a dish stick yourself. Roger's book is a bit exclusive because it has to be printed from a PDF purchased on his website: those who are too lazy to print and hole punch can't have it! I can confidently say that this book is the best of its kind, and with homemade instruments, you will achieve greater precision than with this stand.

I wish you all luck on your wheelbuilding journey!
on February 23, 2013
I wanted something rugged, MORE than accurate enough for my purposes, compact and affordable.

I got everything I wanted with the Feedback Sports Truing Station.

I have one of their bike repair stands and I really like it too.

I like having the option of being able to use the truing stand by itself or afixed to the repair stand.

Storage is a breeze. Separate the base from the arm and put it back into the box where it's ready for the next use. Simple. Fast. Easy.

For me, the more I can maintain and repair my bike the better.

Next...wheelbuilding!