Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Halloween

Feedback and discssion on Objective-C

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2009 7:36:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2009 8:58:57 AM PST
I am the author of Programming in Objective-C. I will be happy to answer questions, direct you to the errata for this book, etc. Please post your comments or questions here. I'll check in regularly.

By the way, check this forum: for errata, answers to exercises, examples, and more. This forum is a work in progress, so check for updates.

Steve Kochan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 8:39:22 AM PST
James Shaw says:
Steve. Where is the source code to download? I went to informit and couldn't find it. Had to go through the tech support who was utterly useless in pointing to the source code.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 10:43:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2009 12:35:30 PM PST
Unfortunately, I haven't yet posted the source code (I was hoping to have it up last week). If you go to you'll find the errata there (I've been focusing on that task since I wanted to get as many errors fixed before the next printing). You'll also find a link to the source code for the first edition. Many examples from the second half of the book (except the iPhone chapter) are virtually identical between the two editions, so you may find that easier than typing them in from scratch. I don't know whether that's of help to you or not.

I'm going to try to get all the code up within the week. I'll put a post here and on my forum when that's been done. Also, feel free to post to the forum, email me there or to

-Steve Kochan

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 7:34:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2009 4:50:08 AM PDT
The third printing of the book is now shipping. This includes the corrections noted by many diligent readers (Note that there are no differences between the first and second printings). You can go to the forum for the book ( to get a master list of the corrections to the first two printings, as well as join other readers to discuss answers to exercises, questions about topics in the book, and other related issues.

Steve Kochan

Posted on Apr 2, 2009 8:48:52 AM PDT
Hi -

As somebody who can vaguely remember using C on Solaris in the early 90s, and never really felt comfortable with Java, I have to say I'm really enjoying this book, and finding that Objective C is the first OO language I've encountered that feels natural. However, I've just hit one definition that leaves me baffled: in the section in Chapter 9 on Polymorphism, there is the statement "polymorphism enables programs to be developed so that objects from different classes can define methods that share the same name". I really don't get this. I thought that I had at least a rough grasp of what polymorphism is, but surely this statement is just telling me I can define methods with the same name for 2 or more unrelated classes - so what ?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2009 4:47:42 PM PDT
I see you reposted this question on the forum (, and it's been answered there.

Steve Kochan

Posted on May 31, 2010 6:11:48 PM PDT
Will this book still be relevant with the new iPhone 4 OS? I'm not too sure how tailored the SDKs are, i'm a non-programer buying books for a library.

Also I'm not clear on what the difference is between this edition and 2nd edition - Is it just errata?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 5:06:13 PM PDT
Mr Kochan,

I just purchased the 2nd edition of this book this past weekend and I'm thrilled with it. I've been a UNIX/C programmer for many, many years (all the way back to K&R) and it's just what I needed to get started down the right path with Objective-C. OC's object syntax has been a mental block for me until I got this book. Kudos!! My only question is what's up with the 3rd edition? Is it significantly different than the 2nd to justify a repurchase?

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 6:51:24 PM PDT

There have been no changes to the language since the 2nd edition was published. The third edition will show updated screen shots (the XCode interface has changed slightly) and will incorporate feedback from my readers. Since the book came out about a year and a half ago, I have learned about some topics that could have been explained better, some other topics that could use some diagrams, and so on. That's the motivation for the third edition. You're fine sticking with the edition you have.

Steve Kochan

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 7:27:23 PM PDT
Any idea on when the 3rd edition will be released?

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 2:57:13 PM PST
I posted this on your Amazon author forum but wanted to cross-post here in case you don't check those.

I have heard a new edition is hitting in February. I would like to be able to purchase this edition now and receive the new edition free when it is released. Alternately, I would like to pre-purchase the new edition and receive the current edition immediately. Can the author comment on this? Is such an arrangement feasible for you or for the publisher?

I would love to get started, but it seems silly to pay a healthy sum for this edition with a new edition around the corner.

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 7:40:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2011 7:41:35 AM PST
No, publishers never allow for this sort of thing. Right now Amazon has just recently accepted the idea of newer printings of the same Kindle edition and allowing readers to update to that printing. Remember, this is a technical book that goes through new printings and editions. Non-technical books don't do that, so there's no strong motivation for this to happen. More importantly, textbook publishers intentionally develop new editions (which cost them money to do) to keep a book current and to curtail the reused book market (the resale of a book brings the publisher no added revenue).

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 1:39:29 PM PST
J. Stewart says:
Stephen, I tried to help my son work through the first chapter but so far we can't get any of the programs to work. First, the menu choices to select new code in XCode are different than what we see in the book -- have they changed since this was published?. And the pre-existing code they provide is different as well. But we eventually worked through all that. The problem is nothing visually prints. The programs show that they execute successfully but nothing results. I looked at the Tutorial that comes with the XCode to do something similar (print "Hello World") and it talks about needing to build a window in interface builder in order to have a place to display even simple output. Has this changed since publication as well or is there some simple way of resolving this and reconciling it with your examples?

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 1:46:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2011 1:47:51 PM PST
You have to bring up the Console. which can be selected from the Run menu. You can answers to this and more questions (including your first one) from my forum at Hope to see your son there!

‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (2nd Edition)
Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (2nd Edition) by Stephen G. Kochan (Paperback - January 8, 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars (151)