5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, funny, informative and the food is great!
Published on August 18, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good resource for substitutions
Published on January 30, 2000 by Barbara Kaser

3.0 out of 5 stars Good resource for substitutions, January 30, 2000
Barbara Kaser (Southeast United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feeding Your Allergic Child: Happy Food for Healthy Kids (Paperback)
This book has helped the most when I need a substitution or need help reading labels for all the many names which food allergens hide under. In this respect, I think the book is the best. I did find the authors writing style to be somewhat offensive to those of us who are entering the cooking scene. She has a way of making readers feel bad for not homecooking every morsel our children ingest. Also, I found that many of the main and side dish recipes were pretty standard fare. Like I stated earlier though, her substitution list and label names under which the allergens are hiding is very helpful as I read labels at the supermarket. I find alot of prepared products which are allergy free for my child by reading labels carefully and the lists and resources in this book are indispensible for that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, funny, informative and the food is great!, August 18, 1999
By A Customer
A particularly good book for parents who are just starting to diagnose and/or attempt to deal with a child's allergies. The author has crammed this book full of helpful advice and references as well as delicious and easy recipes that kids (and adults) enjoy. Recipes for basic items like baking powder and ketchup are included. This is one of the three books we recommend to other parents of kids with food allergies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not enough, January 22, 2000
Carla (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
It's not a bad start for feeding kids with allergies, but it didn't go very far. We can't have almonds, so many recipes didn't work for us. Moreover, there wasn't even a hint at the broad range of ethnic foods which might be great to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, fun, & delicious recipes for kids with allergies., November 18, 1997
By A Customer
This is a great book! Parents & friends of children with allergies will feel that they have an ally in author Elisa Meyer, who has two allergic children of her own. The recipes are delicious, imaginative, and within your reach--try the salads, the soups, and of course, the cookies!--it's all great. Whether you're just realizing you have allergies to cope with, or you're looking for some new things to try, this practical, direct, and fun cookbook is a gem.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book did not meet my expectations., July 13, 2005
I wanted to like this book, but just can't. The author is condescending at best and downright insulting at worst. I think it's safe to assume that anyone buying a cookbook can um - cook! She also uses butter in every other recipe, but according to the book her kids are allergic to dairy. I don't get it. She's also a little off the deep end, she basically goes off on the entire food industry as if they are trying to kill her little darlings on purpose. Then there is a section where she goes off on a tangent about the dangers of using a grill - then she actually has the audacity to provide a recipe for grilling hotdogs and hamburgers! As if I need a cookbook for that. The other problem that I have with the book is that nearly every recipe centers around a sauce made with dijon mustard, olive oil and copious amounts of lemon juice. I'm very allergic to lemon juice, so in all honesty my ability to use this cookbook is almost non-existant.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite resources for my severely allergic child, May 17, 2003
Becky (United States) - See all my reviews
When my child was first diagnosed I ordered twenty different recipe/cookbooks for special diets/allergies. This is one of 2 that I actually use frequently. The recipes are simple and my child likes them. The information on substituting ingredients and creating safe versions of forbidden items is excellent. Most of all I found the author's attitude and sense of humor very liberating and empowering. Reading this book always makes me feel that I can do this. It's an excellent starter book to help a parent or the newly diagnosed person with food allergies to get control of their diet and attitude. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun, practical corkbook that's well within reach, March 6, 2006
I love this cookbook & use it all the time! My daughter has many allergies (tree nuts included) so we haven't been able to use all the recipes, but those that we have are wonderful! I keep checking back, hoping to see another book by this author, but haven't found any so far. As for the "rantings" spoken about in another review....I read the book cover to cover and didn't find anything that fits that description. I enjoyed Ms. Meyer's stories of her children and her 'journey' and appreciate her having shared it. Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars A little outdated, but still full of great information, July 31, 2011
Written in 1997, so there have been tremendous changes on the allergy front since it was published, but there are still many good recipes in here. I love the writing style, too. The author sounds like a real person, not a Food Network star. Recipes eliminate wheat, dairy, corn & eggs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your money, January 4, 2007
A. Jones (Kenmore, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I was very disappointed in the recipes in this book - I would not recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, October 31, 2001
By A Customer
If you are already a healthy cooker you do not need this book.
If you are not using fresh ingredients you will be offended by this book. Plus, you might find more allergies in your baby than she really have after reading it.

Feeding Your Allergic Child: Happy Food for Healthy Kids
Feeding Your Allergic Child: Happy Food for Healthy Kids by Elisa Meyer (Paperback - February 15, 1997)
$16.99 $15.29