5.0 out of 5 stars A clear, comprehensive, practical and integrated roadmap
It's not always easy for thyroid patients -- and our practitioners -- to understand how interrelated our hormones can be, along with their critical impact on health. Specifically, when we have a thyroid condition, the relationship to adrenal problems and our reproductive system and hormones, is critical, but it's so rarely addressed.

This makes Drs. Richard and...
Published on July 7, 2005 by Mary

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to take ownership of one's health
Surprising advice in diet. I like the book because it encourages the reader to take ownership of one's own health. To begin to research on one's own, to ask for specific tests, to understand that you are hiring the medical staff to work for you and they are not the responsible for your health is a big step. I like that the book gives specific steps to take. I disagree...
Published on May 6, 2012 by p31Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear, comprehensive, practical and integrated roadmap, July 7, 2005
Mary (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast! (Hardcover)

This makes Drs. Richard and Karilee Shames' new book, "Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?" particularly useful.

Using their unique "Endo-Type" categorization system, you use questionnaires and self-tests to determine which glands -- your thyroid, adrenals or reproductive glands -- are causing your primary imbalance.

And then, the book helps you restore balance, help rebalance the glands, and ensure that all three types of hormones -- the 3 legs of the "stool" metaphor that the Shames use in the book -- are all equal, and therefore able to support you without tipping over.

The Shames recommend readers find a great practitioner and partner with him or her for your health care. And they dedicate an entire section of book to direct communications with practitioners -- letters you can copy and share with your practitioners or endocrinologists, and will hopefully help you get the care you need.

Ideally, you'll find a great practitioner who can help you implement the program with the guidance of the Shames book.

But if you need to follow a self-guided program, you will find the resources and information -- including options on where to order your own tests, and what supplements and nutrients you may need -- to pursue a self-care program.

And another helpful option is that you can contact Dr. Richard Shames for a phone coaching session to help customize the program to meet your specific needs.

Short-term and longer-term approaches are offered, which is especially useful when you are talking about hormones. You'll have things you can do right away, along with longer-term goals and objectives that will help you maintain improvements in your health.

Concept Summaries and Action Summaries at the end of each chapter help you focus your efforts on those practical actions that can have the greatest impact on your health.

Overall, Drs. Richard and Karilee Shames have achieved the near impossible - a clear, comprehensive, practical and integrated roadmap to restore and rebalance our hormones. I highly recommend the book!

-- From Mary Shomon, Thyroid Patient Advocate and author of "Thyroid Diet" and "Living Well With Hypothyroidism"

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing balance back into my own life, July 11, 2006
I had been feeling "fuzzy" in my thinking for months. I assumed it was my hectic lifestyle or my daily caffiene habit that was causing this. No amount of sleep made me feel better. In the afternoons, I was fatigued. Weight had started to creep up on me, even though I live an active lifestyle. My periods were difficult and I found myself feeling as if my body was betraying me. What could be wrong?

I completely overlooked the idea of hormone imbalance until my girlfriend suggested this book. As soon as I came to the section on fuzzy thinking and did the quiz for "high estrogen" - bingo - I realized what was happening. I am in the perimenopausal age group and didn't even consider my hormones could be affecting how I was feeling. "Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled" helped me to pinpoint what was going on in my otherwise healthy body.

I started the vitamin/mineral regimen suggested and in two days I felt significantly better. I began making small lifestyle changes and two weeks later - no more afternoon energy crashes, my brain is back on track and I feel less bloated. I've lost two pounds and feel like my old self again.

The Shames have created a book that is accessible and a good step in the right direction. Not only do they cover the more newagey type remedies (which is what I prefer) but they also offer suggestions on hormone replacement, medicine, testing and more. This makes the book well rounded and can appeal to everyone, regardless of what they believe will work for them.

For myself - so far, so good. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars An anwer to prayer, February 24, 2008
Cinnamon girl (Quaker Hill, CT USA) - See all my reviews
I've known that "something wasn't right" about me for many years, but could never get an accurate diagnosis. I've been to my primary care physician, gastroenterologist and hematologist and never gotten a diagnosis as to what was wrong. My PCP prescribed anti-anxiety medication and suggested counseling which was made matters worse more than better. The gastroenterologist had me do an upper GI which ruled out intestinal disease, but didn't alleviate my symptoms. The hematologist just checked my blood count every 6 months and said I had "hemolytic anemia". I had extremely low energy and difficulty functioning. Finally I came across this book, took the self questionaire where I scored 33 out of 42 in low adrenal. I joined the canary club and did the saliva test through Diagnos-techs and BINGO, the test confirmed my self questionaire results. My cortisol levels and DHEA were all very low (thyroid panel and sex gland panels were in proper ranges). I started implementing the suggestions in this book along with those in Dr. James Wilson's book, "Adrenal Fatigue" and am starting to feel healthy again. I recently re-did the saliva test after 6 months of the original test and the results are promising. Instead of all of my cortisol levels being severely depressed, two were now in the "normal" range and the other two were very close to the normal range. I went from having no tolerance to even small amounts of stress to being able to cope better. I hope that Primary Care Physicians will learn to test the adrenals when patients come in complaining of low energy, anxiety, insomnia, etc. It could have saved me years of poor health and mental anguish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book for people with adrenal disorders, January 10, 2007
L. Suess (St. Paul, MN) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for myself to understand my hypothyroid condition and figure out why I wasn't feeling better after starting levothryoxine. I am so glad I did. This book explains that the hormonal system is a 3-legged stool involving different body systems and that even if my thyroid is managed, an imbalance may still be present in my adrenal gland. This is a must-have book for anyone suffering from thyroid, adrenal, or reproductive imbalances with hormones. I got it from the library at first and decided to just buy it since there was so much useful information. What really makes the book useful is that it not only offers understanding of the problems I am experiencing, it also offers solutions and resources to feel better.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most helpful health books I've ever read, January 30, 2009
When I first bought this book, I struggled a little bit with it and felt it was all very confusing and overwhelming (probably because I was FF&F). Then, because I really have been grappling with hormone issues - thyroid, pre-menopausal symptoms, etc, I found an MD/integrative practitioner who did much more comprehensive testing than either my internist or ob/gyn had ever done, much less discussed. With my test results in hand, and a small armload of recommended supplements, I tackled the book again. I think that having a more specific idea of my needs based on my actual testing, made it easier to focus and really appreciate the book. And it was really, truly educational, and just spot on! I found that everything in the book was completely backed up by what my new doc told me, but at the same time, gave me much more detail and helpful information to supplement the doctor's advice. The book also helped me to think about and prepare questions for her between visits.

Just by reading the book alone, I'm not sure I would have felt confident in self-diagnosing and tackling all the recommendations. In part, because there is a lot of overlap of symptoms. Also, I think it's probably fairly common to have more than one gland affected. So without a doctor and thorough testing, it would be easy to be overwhelmed by everything in this book. To their credit, the book's authors do recommend that you get a doctor's help. Another thing I found particularly helpful is that they make recommendations in stages - so that you can begin immediately implementing dietary changes, for example, before moving on to another level of treatment, like supplements. Although I joked about it a little, the supplements that were recommended to me produced an almost immediate and profound change in my energy, mood, and sense of well-being. All of which made it that much easier to follow the dietary and exercise recommendations. I've been losing weight steadily for two months, and haven't felt this good in years. Do find yourself a good doctor who can work with you on these issues, and definitely read this book - you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Feel Good!! This book fixed me., February 22, 2007
This book fixed me. I've been a stressed out adrenal overloaded perimenopausal person for several years, got all kinds of symptoms from tendonitis through both hands so bad for months (grabbing anything and typing was a problem), skin spots, no energy, stomach problems (Gerd, IBS), fuzzy thinking, anxiety, couldn't sleep, depressed, no motivation etc etc. I started the regimen for my specific type after taking the quizzes, and I was fixed and feeling better within days and saw continuing improvements for months. If you have been stressed, overworked, are perimenopausal and have a bunch of symptoms that you didn't have 5 years ago, this book is for you. To your health!

4.0 out of 5 stars Identifying Hidden Hormone Imbalances - A new lease on life, July 15, 2005
I talk to women in, or entering menopause, every day through my work as a hormone health educator. Women between the ages of 40 to 60 (millions of them) are in the menopause zone, that minefield of symptoms and disorders with the potential to undo our lives as we knew them and leave us wondering if we care to be introduced to the fat, fuzzy, frazzled person we've become! The Shame's team has built upon the life-transforming information they gifted us with in their pivotal book, THYROID POWER, by putting thyroid issues in this, their latest book, into the greater context of hormone imbalance: when reproductive hormones like estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, adrenal (stress) hormones like cortisol, and thyroid hormones get in the way of each other (e.g., too much of one hormone leads to a shortage of another and vice-versa), the entire delicate balance is thrown off. To help make sense of the havoc that can ensue in terms of one's personal health status, the authors provide a simple analogy - the three-legged stool - a leg too short or too long means we slide right off ...now that's something we can all easily picture in our minds! The Shame's show us in great detail how the slide begins and ends, but they don't leave us there on the ground for very long. In this book, the problem is transformed into an identifiable challenge we can solve by taking action to restore balance in all things: our lifestyles, our stress levels, our choices, our hormones. The self-determination of one's "endotype" personalizes the issues at hand and the jump start program provides readers with a realistic challenge they can meet. The path to balance is well sign-posted so that the reader never loses his or her way... detailed information provided is always relevant and useful. When a question pops into mind, one need not look very far for an answer: the authors share their considerable expertise and encouragement on every page. The emphasis on the importance of testing individual hormone levels to detect the hidden hormonal imbalance behind a constellation of unwanted symptoms, is accompanied by all the information you need to test hormones at home. If you suspect that you're not feeling as good as you could be, or that your low-thyroid problems, PMS or severe menopause need not be a permanent damper on the quality of your life, this book will speak to you!

Candace Burch, M.A. Health Education

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was WONDERFUL!, July 7, 2005
I'm hypothyroid and wanted to find a book that might help me understand the condition. Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled WAS THE book for me! Since reading it I've followed the suggestions and have noticed a vast improvement in the way I feel on a daily basis. The help this book offers in getting through to health care providers is also fantastic.

The Shames' wrote this book with so much sympathy and care, I knew I could trust their advice. I cannot recommend this book highly enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Doctor that knows Thyroid and Hormone Problems!, October 29, 2006
L. Huang (Los Altos, CA) - See all my reviews
I first heard of Dr. Shames on talk radio discussing the balancing of the"three legged stool." What he said made a lot of sense and since I've been struggling to balance my thryroid medication for two decades now

I decided to buy the book. The book is informative but more importantly Dr. Shames is one of few doctors that specializes in thyroid disorders and hormone imbalance. Perfect for a woman with Hashimotos disease, post menopausal, and adrenal fatigue.

I also saw Dr. Shames in his clinic and remain impressed with his dedication to a medical disease that doesn't get much attention. It's been two months since I've seen him and we are working on getting the three systems balanced. I feel better but not up to normal yet. Dr. Shames promises me his plan will work but it's a somewhat slow process of elimination and trying different supplements, food, and medication.

I recommend this book for anyone who has been struggling with symptoms of hormonal imbalance and is frustrated with being told by their doctor "everything is fine." Get the book. Take the saliva test. See Dr. Shames or find an integrative medicine doctor or clinic.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am fat fuzzy, July 12, 2005
Cyndi Lenz "Cyndi Lenz" (Jensen beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Review by: Cyndi Lenz RN Skip's Pharmacy [...]

Last year at Halloween I found this little troll that would scream this blood-curling scream when you pressed the belly. I brought it into the pharmacy and put a little note on it that said "Cyndi without her hormones." I left it on the front counter for all to see. Much to Jamie's chagrin folks would press and then have a good laugh. We would all giggle then we would connect because as funny as it was many of us felt that way inside. It comes from years of wandering around and being afraid to be labeled a wingnut by your local medical establishment. It comes from feeling really awful and not wanting to feel that way anymore.

You see I am fat fuzzy and frazzled. Iím also quit sick of it. Iím at a crossroad in my life. I do not want to do this anymore. I am psychically painful to myself and the people around me. In other words I can be a total bitch. Not always. But once I get cranking its unstoppable bitchdom.

I can't sleep. I feel crappy. I've been doing this menopause thing for two years. I've been on hormones. Off hormones. I've taken supplements. I changed my diet. I try to exercise. I try to cut down on the "bad" things I do. All these things help me. I feel better. I could feel much better-it just takes a little work.

What I loved about this book is it that it felt very empowering. It gives us many stages and choices to take back our lives and bodies and get rid of "that other person" that has taken over.

As most health care practitioners , I have a difficult time taking care of myself. Its very easy to spout what is good for and not take that advice myself. While reading this book it was all I could do to refrain from pulling out my colored markers and take notes. (I was reading Dr Shame's copy and I really didn't think he would appreciate that).

Some of the stuff I had been doing and some I was thinking about doing but the book gave me a sensical order to go in. The book is very short, sweet and very easy to understand. As a nurse who loves to create teaching material I love the visual because it brings a very complex situation into a very understandable place. Instead of just giving you information and then leaving on your own to figure it out this book gives you to tools to access yourself and many options on how to proceed. The Shames give you some things you can start doing right now. Then they get into typing and you can see where the focus should be. You can evaluate yourself. They give you intermediate rebalancing tools and finally what to avoid how to achieve long term success.

All the chapters have summaries and actions plans,a definite nurse's touch, and I think this really make a huge difference.
Whenyour fat fuzzy and/or frazzeled its hard to stay organized.
I'm really looking forward to feeling better