5.0 out of 5 stars Fein Kit of Choice

Published 23 months ago by P024008

5.0 out of 5 stars Fein Kit of Choice, December 10, 2011
Pen (Hometown USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
Depending upon your intended uses for this tool, I'd say that if you are looking for a Multimaster, this is the kit to get. While the ultimate cost/accessory is cheaper if you purchase one of the more robust kits, you are often getting accessories that you will rarely, if ever, use. This kit allows you to get the basic multimaster and have cash left over to buy the accessories that you WILL use.

The multimaster is my 3rd oscillating tool. I have also used the Sonicrafter and the Porter Cable oscillating tools. I have to say that they are all good quality tools. In particular, the Porter Cable makes changing blades silly easy - even easier than with the Multimaster. The Multimaster, however, is simply a cut above. The motor is very smooth and the tool is a bit more comfortable to work with for extended periods. It does run cooler than either of the other tools, though I have never experienced a problem with either of the others overheating. Additionally, there is a wealth of accessories available for the Multimaster that is unavailable for any other oscillating tool that I am aware of. Other than that, I won't go into the details of any of these tools because there is an abundance of reviews on this website that have already described their pros and cons in great detail. The Multimaster is clearly the best of the lot, but at twice the price of the others, it should be. I can't say whether it should be worth it for you, because I'm not even sure that it was worth it for me.

On the subject of the bag that comes with this kit; the bag is mostly useless. Though I'm not sold on the screaming orange plastic case provided with the more expensive kits either. You might be better off going to your local big box and buying a heavy duty nylon tool bag that suits your own style. At least that way you don't have a bright orange "steal me" flag sitting in the back of your truck.

5.0 out of 5 stars The One To Get, June 29, 2012
Warlok "Warlok" (PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Fein Multimaster is "the" multi tool to own. After stumbling out of the gate purchasing the Porter Cable and the Rockwell, I have finally arrived at the choice I should have made from the very start. I won't go into detail on the Porter Cable or Rockwell, other than to say they failed after only minimal use.

This version of the Multimaster is awesome. It incorporates the finest tool-less blade change system of any of these tools. Porter Cable's blade change system seems easier at first, but has some severe shortcomings. (see my review of that tool if you want to read further) The Fein also has a slow start feature which is really nice. I also want to point out the cord for this is super long which I love. I usually never need an extension.

I found this kit by coincidence at one of my local Home Depot's for $179.99. It's weird that one of my local Depot's had ton's of them in stock, and another down the road didn't even carry them. So call ahead first if you go that route.

This kit is a great path into the Fein family of multi-tools. You get the exact same tool as in the kits costing twice as much. The sacrifice is that you only get a couple blades and the sanding kit instead of a whole collection of blades and accessories; and you get a soft bag vs. a hard case. Hard cases are nice and can't be beat, but the bag with this is really nice and spacious allowing you to put tons of blades inside as well as another tool or two if going to a job.

If you are a contractor there is no decision if you are in the market for one of these tools. Spend an extra $25-$50 and get this tool. If you are a DIY'er or homeowner, I STILL feel the extra few bucks is well worth the investment. You'll get the best tool on the market and a tool that will be around for many years for you. When you use this tool you can feel and hear the quality vs. the competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fein MultiMaster 250Q Start, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
It worked as advertised. I'm a professional carpenter and have holding off on purchasing a multi-tool, because I have wanted a Fein, but did not want to spend $600 - $800 for their original, top-of-the-line tool. I read many reviews and the choice came down to the Fein vs. the Bosch. I'm glad I went with the Fein. It's smooth, easy to control, and very versatile. I did not realize what I had been missing by not having one of these tools. It is incredibly versatile. If you can't cut what you need to cut with a Skilsaw, Sawzall, or jig saw, you can with this tool. Example: I have an investment property that had an old metal dryer duct protruding 1" beyond the siding of the house. I could not remove the vent to cut it, but needed it to be cut flush with the siding. Tin snips would not cut it flush with the siding. The Fein tool made that a snap. Cutting out a piece of clapboard siding to be replaced is another example of a task that this tool is perfectly suited for.

I wish I had bought one of these years ago. Also, you see many complaints about the prices of the blades......I'm not sure why the people complaining in those reviews are paying the high prices they cite for their blades. If you purchase blades online from Amazon or one of the major tool discounters. the prices are reasonable, and about 1/3 of the crazy prices cited in those bad reviews. And the prices are reasonable when you use the blades for tasks that no other tool can handle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but accessory cost limits usage, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have renovated 2 homes and bought this as a way to make a cut in a wood floor that no other tool could handle nicely. It did the trick and I was glad to have it. I have an older model and have had it for over 5 years. Like the other reviewers say, this tool will help you get of a jam when no others will. It also makes wonderfully smooth and straight drywall and wood cuts.

The major downside is the cost of the accessories. The wood bits are expensive and wear out super fast, so whenever I think about using this tool, I think to myself, is it worth $25 of bits to complete this task? More often than not, I end up using one of my other tools instead because it costs less. As a result, I've used this tool way less often than I thought I would. Most of our tools get a lot of use. This one is collecting dust because I am too cheap to be constantly buying blades. The only thing I regularly use it for guilt free is Sheetrock because that is soft enough that it does not eat the blades as quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fein Multimaster 250Q, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
Excellent quality and easy to control. The accompanying documentation was very helpful for blade changes and planning for future accessories. The blades included are of great quality and cover the basics plus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
The saw had great reviews and lived up to my expectations. The blades wore out faster than I thought they would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
I don't know how I did the cuts I've done with this before I got it. Very powerful and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality tool, easy to use., July 5, 2012
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
Fantastic quality and easy to use. Very happy with this purchase. Great variety of blades and attachments, this is quickly becoming my 'go-to' tool for the projects I have to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars REPLACING THE SAME TOOL, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
This multipurpose tool works great on all jobs. Easy to use and easy to switch blades out without the use of additional wrenches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied with the auality, February 16, 2013
Jerry E. Diebel (Flagstaff, AZ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fein FMM 250Q START Bag In Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
A friend introduced me to the Fein oscillating tool. I thought it was something nice but unnecessary. I finally bought the Fein FMM250Q starter. It seems that I am always using it for something. It has all the power that is necessary. I do not recommend buying blade kits with attachments that one will rarely use. Purchasing the right attachments on-line makes more sense and less costly. The universal attachments/blades seem to be good quality for the price. The tool is great for sawing and cutting nails in tight places. Fein is top quality.
J.D.