Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fein MSXE-636-2VSXL MultiMaster Variable Speed Tool with Accessory Package
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on November 27, 2005
As everyone here has noted, the tool is well designed and the various attachments are expensive. I first had the "pleasure" of using this tool to remove grout. I can think of no better tool to do this horrible job faster. Personally, I have so little time outside of work that getting jobs done well quickly is my priority.

I also used this tool to scrape mastic (goop used to attach tile to the floor) and cut out rotten wood and plaster in the narrow space between a window and a wall. The way that this tool works made these jobs a breeze. I'm not aware of any other power tool that could have done these as easily.

In short, if time is your most precious commodity, then this is a kewl tool that you'll want in your box.
on January 10, 2007
I purchased this for those odd jobs that come up that you just can't find the right tool for. It didn't come with the blades that I needed and when I found out how much the blades costs I was wishing I hadn't bought this but just made due with other tools. I'll need to spend $140 more for e-cut and flush cut blades to make the tool really usefull but at the same time won't want to dull the blade for fear having to buy more.
on February 16, 2007
We bought this for one of our carpenters for floor patching, mostly. You can do a straight plunge cut with it. One of our other crewmembers liked it so much that he went out and bought one for himself. The only thing about them I don't like is the cost of the blades. The good news, though, is that you can sharpen them yourself if they get a little dull (if you have basic sharpening skills.)
on November 14, 2005
I've been using the MultiMaster for several months now and am very satisfied with the tool itself. The ergonomics, balance, weight, etc. are very good, and the VS motor is excellent. As others have noted, the accessories are expensive, and some, particulary the abrasives and pads, don't hold up, even under very slight use. Consequently I'd recommend this tool for most of the task for which it is advertised. For sanding however, I typically switch to a tool designed for that purpose.
on May 23, 2007
I love using tools. They provide a way to get an otherwise impossible job done. I first purchased the Fein MultiMaster tool, as a sander to get into corners, about 20 years ago. Although it made this difficult job better, it took a lot of patience and skill not to get cross-grain scratching. The radial oscillating action took a bit to get used to. Practice on something unimportant!

I also, on a whim, bought the saw blade attachment with the unit. In a remodeling project, I needed to cut through paneling right next to a brick chimney, and I thought of the MultiMaster. Wow. It did this job so quickly and safely that I was astonished! I've since used it to undercut (a lot of) trim for flooring, disassemble tile for major plumbing repairs (so that the tile could be reused! Looks perfect.), re-grouting shower stall tile, and a bunch of other things that my other tools just won't do.

One example: In woodworking one often installs wooden "plugs" to hide screw holes. I have a "zero-set" handsaw with a flexible blade to perform the task of sawing the plug flush with the surface. The MultiMaster does it better! Just hold a new flush-cut, segmented blade against fine silicon-carbide sandpaper to polish the bottom of the blade and remove any set, then saw away.

The MultiMaster didn't replace any other tool. It may help prevent you from using one of the other great tools improperly. For sanding in odd places, I prefer the Porter Cable Detail Sander. However, it is pretty easy to make special sanding tools for the MultiMaster (Aluminum stock from the home center and stick-on sandpaper) so long as you understand what the radial oscillation does.

I have purchased most (if not all) of the attachments available for the MultiMaster. They aren't inexpensive, but what they do is amazing. I love using it. Just wish I had discovered how easy it is to make my own unique attachments, including saw blades, 15 years earlier!

My MultiMaster is not variable speed, so I cannot comment on that feature, but getting a good accessory package and trying them out is a better teacher of the unique usefulness of this product than I can possibly be.

Oh, yes, quality is built into Fein tools. My MultiMaster still works like new! I wish battery-powered drills lasted as long.
on August 11, 2007
This tool paid for itself on the first job. Porter Cable's, Ryobi's and Bosch's versions would not have been able to accomplish the task, likely would have been dead before the job was finished and lack the Fein tool's versatility. I was able to reduce what would have been a week of hand sanding of an over-the-post oak stair railing system to one day.
Because of the ability of this tool to also do knife thin straight-in cuts, grout removal and so forth, it has become and indispensable part of my tool collection. If it died tomorrow, I'd have it replaced before the day was out.
I agree with the complaints about the price of blades, but willingly suffer the cost to save what could be considered a fortune in time. I solve some of the problem of blade cost by saving worn saw blades and using them for caulk and weatherstrip removal, or other projects that don't require a perfect blade. Sometimes I resharpen blades. Even a crude resharpening job works for many tasks. I make my own scrapers by cutting dollar store putty knives in half and punching arbor holes in them. In a pinch, a Harbor Freight saw blade for miniature table saws will cut plastics. Finally, when I burn the edges of the hood-and-loop detail sanding heads, I cut them into specialty shapes and use them for even more detailed work (I bet Fein will, eventually, be selling other versions of their sanding heads).
on November 10, 2006
This tools is everything it's cracked up to be. I have been using it to do the prep work on my 40 foot Trawler and it can get into almost every nook and cranny to sand or cut. I guess the only down side is the cost of the attachments. I would certainly buy this tool as a kit rather than just buying the tool.
on April 8, 2005
I just bought this tool back in december 04. originally to cut baseboard against the wall to trim for wider casing. worked great. now I use it to sand crown corners and all types of trim work . it works great to remove a little excess to flush up cuts. I now use this tool every week.

get this set with the metal caring case. it is well worth it.

kreg
on May 2, 2007
Ok FEIN, when are you going to eliminate blade slippage by upgrading the design of the drive pattern from the current Round to a Star drive? It is my opinion that you are too slow in responding to customer requests to improve the drive design and I reluctantly returned my unit because of frequent slippage. All of you newer blades have the Star drive but the power head still relies on compression, thus friction by the washer and bolt to hold the blade in place. Your current solution is an adapter, which is nothing more than a washer that has sandpaper like surface/carbide particles to increase the friction. Not an acceptable solution for and expensive tool.

When you finally get around to improving the design, I will purchase a machine again but I will definitely wait until the new design is released.
on November 10, 2006
Great detail sander.

Only tool to cut straight into wood with out a circular cutting blade.

Safe tool.