Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Feit Electric BPXN20/G8/3 Xenon 20-Watt, 120-Volt G8 Base, 3 Pack
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 3 Pack|Change

on June 3, 2013
I've bought a lot of Feit bulbs over the past few years. They typically last longer than the name brand bulbs at the big box stores (much longer than GE bulbs), but these little 35mm long Feit xenon bulbs are a notable exception.

I have those black, round puck lights under cabinets upstairs and downstairs. 8 total. They all had some blue-colored bulbs provided with them, though they produced white light.

I got 3 Feit bulbs last spring at a big box store and used them by fall, so I bought 3 more from the same store. I went ahead and bought 6 Feit bulbs on Amazon, just to make sure I had enough spares. Well, it turns out that the original blue bulbs kept on going, while the Feit bulbs I had just put in were already burning out. I ended up going through 8 more Feit bulbs between last fall and this June, leaving me with only 1 spare bulb (11 bulbs used out of 12 purchased).

Interestingly, 1 of the bulbs is still a blue OEM bulb with no name on it. Wish I knew the brand...

FWIW, I checked the AC voltage in the house to be sure that wasn't what caused the Feit bulbs to burn out so quickly, but I'm running between 120V and 121V each time I check.

I should note that the failure mode for all of the Feit bulbs that I have replaced is the same: broken filament. (Touching a halogen bulb with exposed skin typically results in glass breakage, so I do use disposable gloves to install them)

Addendum: well, I did a lot of digging and found some interesting information! Here's some of it:
* Halogen bulbs are typically made from quartz or special glass due to the high gas pressure in the bulb (around 100psi+).
* Xenon bulbs are made from normal glass due to the much lower xenon gas pressure required.
* Halogen bulbs have a tendency to break if touched with bare skin, whereas xenon bulbs don't. This is partly due to the higher pressure and thicker quartz or glass used in halogen bulbs. Xenon bulbs don't need to be installed with gloves! :)
* Halogen bulbs produce a yellowish light, whereas xenon bulbs produce a whiter light.
* Halogen bulbs don't last as long as xenon bulbs.
* Halogen bulbs aren't as efficient as xenon bulbs.
* Halogen bulbs generate more heat than xenon bulbs due to the difference in efficiency.
* Halogen bulbs will blacken if dimmed, because dimming interferes with the halogen cycle that redeposits vaporized tungsten back on the filament.
* Xenon bulbs may be used with a dimmer without any ill effects.
* Xenon bulbs are filled with xenon, a noble gas.
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2011
These are xenon bulbs, not halogen bulbs. They run cooler and last longer than halogen. Feit is a major national brand, and you'll find their products in all the big box stores. Could be tough to mix with halogens, as these are a higher color temperature. Looked at two different big box stores. Only found halogens at $5.99/$4.99 per bulb. In a fixture properly installed and designed for a xenon bulb, they will give extraordinary life compared to halogens (close to twice). We're using them in under cabinet lights and also in above cabinet lights that shine up for ambient life. Use them a lot and only replace them roughly every 3-4 years.
on November 21, 2010
I bought these bulbs from Amazon about 6 months ago. They are in a kitchen overhead light. I replaced all 6 of them at once. The first two burned out this week. The label claims "4000 hours." It was more like 80 hours. I was careful with the bulbs during installation. Wiped them down with denatured alcohol and wore a nitrile rubber gloves to install them. Very disappointed. Will not buy these again.
on February 4, 2011
Ordered from this vendor after having ordered similar Xenon bulb replacements from another vendor that lasted less than one year...barely 6 months, actually. We use these bulbs in our under-cabinet light strips and sure, occasionally we leave them on all night, but not as a general rule, so they should have lasted longer. (Remember to use a cloth or papertowel to handle the bulb before installing...oils on your fingers make them burn out faster.) Fast shipping from this vendor, and almost .50cents less per bulb than any other vendor I found(plus Amazon's free SuperSaver shipping...nice bonus!). The bulbs are supposedly "longer life, 4000 hours". I'm keeping track this time, though.

Sidenote...if you happen to have a cork bulletin board, the spent bulbs make GREAT quirky thumbtacks! :-D My kitchen backsplash is made of wine corks I collected, split, and plastered to make a unique surface, and these little bulbs with their spikey ends are easily used as tacks. I hang keys on them, microplanes, little framed artworks, a mezzaluna, anything lightweight really. Art junque. :-)
on September 13, 2012
I have five puck undercabinet lights with a dimmer. With standard halogen, I had to visit Home Depot about once every two months. I moved to this Xenon bulb. Though the bulbs do burn down, I went to my history and found I have used six bulbs in the last 24 months. Now, did each last 4,000 hours? Assuming I use the lights six hours a day, they should last 666 days --close to two years. But, as I said, this really is more like 2,000 hours. Still, these light bulbs do last significantly longer than standard halogen.

If the packaging stopped claiming 4,000 hours, and claimed around 2,000 instead, I would give this product five stars. Yet, this bulb does beat standard halogen down pat!

----

Something of interest is that low voltage puck light bulbs last much, much longer... So far, in my case, I have never had to replace any of those in about six years!!!
on November 13, 2010
I have some undercabinet puck lights I use these in, and I had been buying single bulbs for a lot more at a local big-box store. Since buying Amazon prime, I've been ordering more things online when the need comes up, and when the bulbs last burned out and I needed to get some more, I found the size bulb on Amazon and was pleased to find them for this price and quantity.

I don't think they burn out any faster than the ones I bought at the other store, but I'm careful when I replace them to use a piece of cloth and not get any finger oil on them (which creates heat variations). I'm not sure how many are left in the 3 pack (I bought them several months ago, and I have multiple undercabinet pucks), but I will be buying them again when my supply runs low.
on February 6, 2014
These are not advertised as replacement for the much more expensive Halogen versions specified as: GE Halogen WB36X10213 "Available from your GE or Hotpoint Dealer". It turns out that other bulbs with a G8 base, like these, will work. Be sure they are 120v 20W. These are. The bulb is slightly shorter but fits fine and is Xenon rather than Halogen burning 10-15% cooler, have a longer life, and don't need protective covers required of halogen bubs. Nice and bright.
on May 5, 2011
I usually buy the Hampton Bay OR the only other brand (can't remember the name) they carry at Home Depot at between five and six bucks a shot, so I thought I'd save money and get this three-pack for a savings of roughly 40%. But the bulb is not as bright as the same-spec other and now I've got a bright-white light on one side of my stove, and a dim yellow light on the other. Bummer.
on December 19, 2011
These aren't my favorite type of bulb and if I had a choice I wouldn't own them - BUT, they came with the fixture (kitchen under cabinet lights) and now that a couple have blown out I had to replace them.

That said, these bulbs are fine, BUT they are tiny and when you install them, as with all halogen bulbs, YOU CANNOT TOUCH THEM. This is said to shorten the bulb life significantly.

So, tiny bulbs, average fingers, tight spaces under the kitchen cabinet, stiff push pin sockets - its a nightmare - and wearing bifocals doesn't help.

I finally gave up with various tools and gloves and just wrapped each bulb in teflon tape - then I could use my fingers to push in the bulb and then carefully unwind the tape.

Not fun, but it worked... anyone knows a better way to do this please add it below!
on December 30, 2013
My under cabinet lights use this type of bulb, and after 4 years one recently went out. I initially went to a home improvement store to buy a replacement, and was appalled at the cost. Came home and searched Amazon to find these, which were much much cheaper. They fit and work perfectly. Only con would be these have a slightly (you really have to look closely to see it) different hue than the bulbs that came with the under cabinet lights. I will continue to purchase these as replacements.