5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, saves power, hopefully will last
The 40W fluorescents (150-200W equivalent) are hard to find in most brick and mortar stores (they like to sell the smaller 40W and the 100W equivalents) so I was double-happy when I saw this one at Amazon. First, because Amazon carries it and second because it's available under super-savers' shipping.

Talking about the item itself:

- you WILL...
Published on May 28, 2009 by A. Dent

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bright - ballast blew 2 weeks after install.
Very simply stated, the light was brilliant while it lasted. In my case, it was 2 weeks after installing - then the ballast blew with the expected electronic smoke/ozone smell. I hate short-lived fluorescents, as they are painful to dispose of. I'm now bailing on CF lights, and thusfar am becoming much happier with the new generation of LED lights.
Published on November 15, 2011 by Christopher Lee

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Bright Light, December 12, 2009
This review is from: Feit Electric ESL40TN/D 40-Watt Compact Fluorescent High-Wattage Bulb, Daylight (Tools & Home Improvement)
I ordered these and some Alzo 45 watt CFL 5500K. The Feit bulbs came first so I used them first. They were very bright, in fact, too bright for me. I was hoping for a more pure white light so I was disappointed with the bluish light. The following day the Alzo bulbs came in. I changed the Feit bulbs out with the Alzo bulbs and they were just what I was looking for in a CFL. They turned on quickly (as did these Feit bulbs) but also were a pure white light like I've never seen in a CFL before. I've moved these Feit bulbs in the other room for kitchen duty. They are now in the fixture above my sink and they do a fine job there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Correct size measurements, October 16, 2012
Hopefully these will help someone else.

Height, from bottom of the plastic to top of the bulb: 6 inches / 15.1 cm
- not 5 3/4" because the middle is just a slight bit raised
Total height: 7 inches / 17.8 cm
Largest diameter of the plastic base: 2.5 inches / 6.4 cm
Largest diameter of the glass tube area: 2.75 inches / 7 cm

Based on what little information there was for dimension, I thought it was just a bit shorter than the ALZO 45-Watt Photo CFL Full Spectrum Light Bulb; it isn't. The two bulbs have effectively the same dimensions. Unfortunately for me, the height was just a little bit too long to fit inside the fixture I intended to use it for.

Regarding the actual light output itself, I did briefly look at the light output of both bulbs. I would happily use either one of them if it would fit. During my brief 30 second test of each one it seemed that the Alzo was a tad bit brighter, but it could be that I prefer the Alzo's 5500k color temperature to the Feit's 6500k. And no, I didn't see any blue tint with the Feit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, very bright!, December 11, 2010
Bright, crisp, cool blue light. 200W equivalent, 2800 lumens, 6500K color temp. This bulb doesn't get very hot but hot enough you wouldn't want to touch it. It doesn't hum. What this bulb is though, is huge! I didn't measure it but I'm sure its at least 1.5 times bigger than its smaller cousin the 100W equivalent. This bulb was bought to be used as a grow light and works much better than whats available at the supermarket. I have to say I'm intrigued by the color temperature of this bulb. Being the cool blue white color it is I was sure it would work well for a grow light. This light is somewhat color enhancing of plants, carpet, walls, etc. I like the light enough that the second day I ordered another and soon as payday comes, I'll be ordering two more. One for a lamp and the other three as grow bulbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bulb, Physically Large, But Plenty Of Illumination, November 11, 2009
This is a large bulb, but it provides a lot of illumination for the wattage used. Much better than the lower wattage CFLs, many of which are rather weak. This one puts out the light, in a well dispersed pattern, as well. Good value for the money, recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bright - ballast blew 2 weeks after install., November 15, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars where are the zero stars, January 23, 2013
J. Kesseru (California, MD) - See all my reviews
bulb lasted 6 days. need i say more. i returned it as defective because that is what it is. i do not recommend this item.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 STARS FOR 15 MINUTES/ 1 STAR FOR LESS, November 2, 2012
romanticynic (just east of San Francisco) - See all my reviews
Some of these CFL bulbs have a warning on the package that they should be left on for at least 15 minutes for maximum lifetime. I should have paid attention to that warning. I bought two of these high wattage CFL bulbs a year ago, this Felt Electric from Amazon and a different brand from a supermarket. One went in the bathroom, one in the kitchen. As my idea of cooking is to pop a frozen dinner into the microwave and I take short showers instead of long baths, both bulbs were usually on for less than 15 minutes. Both bulbs burned out in less than a year. Don't do as I did. Pay attention to instructions and warnings.

The lower wattage CFL bulbs in my living room (which are on for several hours) have been quite reliable. 5 stars for these bulbs. The higher wattage CFL bulbs in my kitchen and bathroom, and the lower wattage CFL bulbs in my laundry room and closet (all of which are seldom on for as long as 15 minutes) have all worn out much too quickly. 1 star for these bulbs. That averages out to 3 stars.

So if a bulb is going to be left on for hours, I'll go ahead and replace that incandescent with a CFL. If the bulb will usually be on for a short time, I'm going to keep the incandescent bulb. You do whatever makes the most sense to you.

UPDATE: Oops, I forgot. About 6 years ago, I replaced the high wattage incandescent light in my back bathroom with a CFL. It burned out within 6 months. The next CFL burned out even more quickly. But third time was the charm. That CFL has lasted over 5 years and counting. That light is almost never on for more than 5 minutes. So I guess that a few CFL bulbs can tolerate a short on time. But finding one might be expensive in burned out bulbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Harvested the Sun, March 26, 2012
I will admit that I intentionally ordered a bulb to brighten up my room a significant amount. I thought that this was going to be 150W equivalent but it was infact a 200W equivalent bulb. It is a big too large for the lamp I have it in as it sticks out the top of it. But, I am more concerned about having light over aesthetics for this room. It's rather huge.

That being said, it's like having the sun harvested and placed in here. It's brighter in this room (no windows) than the front room that has 4 windows. If you want lots of white bright light, this is the bulb to get. If anything goes wrong with it, I'll update my review with details.

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Flicker, August 5, 2011
Gillium (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
The bulb flickers when it lights up. The flickering continues until I tap the bulb.

This really should be a 1-star review but I gave it an extra star because it's really bright and emits a nice white light instead of the yellow light that you get from incandescents. I'd imagine that if I had received a properly functioning bulb, I'd be very pleased with the light quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away!!, March 28, 2010
J. M. Desper (Elm Grove, WI United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased two of these bulbs from a local Hardware store to use for a photo booth setup. They were screwed into large open aluminum reflector clip-on lamps. One seems to work fine. One stopped working after about 3 hours when I wasn't in the room. I removed it, checked the contacts in the lamp, left it for a day, and when I returned, it worked just fine. For about 10 minutes. This time, there was an audible sizzle and a definite odor when it failed.

I exchanged it for a second one, which went "pop" and died after about 15 minutes.

There are some simple guidelines but no real warnings on the package about where NOT to use it, so I think it should have worked fine in an open fixture.

It is really too bad, because the light output is bright and clean.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›