5.0 out of 5 stars A pruner that fits
Published on February 11, 2006 by Joseph McIntyre

2.0 out of 5 stars Only One Out of Two Works
I ordered two of these... one for me and one for my husband. Only one performs as expected. The other sticks continuously, even after several applications of WD-40, making it useless. We do a lot of gardening and I was expecting the top of the line. I'm severely disappointed!
Published 13 months ago by Ora Aselton

5.0 out of 5 stars A pruner that fits, February 11, 2006
This review is from: Felco F-8 Classic Pruner with Comfortable Ergonomic Design (Lawn & Patio)
Felco has a justifiable reputation for making outstanding pruners. Their entire line is worthy of consideration (lefty's rejoice, they make pruners designed for you!). The F-8 is their ergonomic redesign of their original F-2 (and the same pruner as the F-7, which has a rotating handle). The curves in the handle make this pruner significantly easier to work--particularly if you have 50 roses to prune! Felco's blade is sharp and its cuts are precise and clean. Felco tools are made to last and it is easy to replace all the parts that wear on this tool. At the time of this review, Amazon's price was the best (by far) that I found online.

This is a tool, however, that you may benefit from handling in one of your local stores. A good garden store should carry the entire Felco line and you may find that another model better fits your hand (or budget, Felco does offer a discount model, the 400).

5 stars for value, quality, durability, and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pruners that are almost fun to use!, September 3, 2008
Once upon a time I had a classic #2 Felco that I scored for free due to it needing a new blade and spring. Less than $15 gave me the industry standard for high quality pruners. That pair mysteriously disappeared about 4 years ago. They were terrific! Since then I've accumulated a few more pruners from Corona, Fiskars, and A.M. Leonard. The A.M. Leonard ones are similar to the #2 Felcos but made in Italy. Recently I was given a "bonus" from my boss to buy a set of Felco pruners, so I picked up a #8 and it is great! I do a lot of pruning on the job, and the ergonomic shape blows the AM Leo and #2 Felcos out of the water. Much more comfortable to hold and use - more or less like an extension of your arm, or that your hand was meant to hold them. Felco fit and finish is impeccable, and the best part is that parts are readily available for this potentially lifelong tool, more so than any other brand out there of which I am aware. The steel is also excellent on the blades. Take proper care of this tool and it will last and last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy once use forever - 4.75 stars., July 7, 2006
Falco's F-8 was all I expected it to be and more. After going through a number of box store pruners I finally relented and bought this one. The price is steep but it's worth every penny.

The ergonomic design and high quality steel makes this a lifetime tool. Also one can disassemble the blades for sharpening and cleaning. There is one design flaw. The lever that is supposed to hold the pruner in the closed position often slips unless it is closed just right. But this is a minor flaw.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stands the test of time, June 1, 2007
I bought my #8 pruner over 25 years ago when I began a commercial nursery. I've had them ever since and use them every day. I've replaced the spring twice and the blade once. I worked mostly with bamboo for 15 or so years and all I had to do with these is sharpen them with a file every month or so. Bamboo is notorious for dulling blades since the culms have such a high mineral content.

I'd give this 5 stars except I agree with others that the lock could be just a tad better. I tend to brush it with the inner side of my thumb joint which will lock the shears when you don't intend to do so.

If you go to a commercial nursery or a serious plant place like an arboretum, you'll be hard pressed to find anything but Felco pruners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best there is!, May 7, 2007
T. beck (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I've had several hand pruners over the years, but not one can even come close to the Felco 8. Fits my hand perfectly and I can prune all day without a cramping hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yup, these are good ones alright!, June 21, 2009
Have used these for three months now. Used them on Maple, Apple, Juniper and Cedar trees as well as various bushes at my home. I'm not meticulous about cleaning them after use and I have no rust or corrosion and I live in the wet and rainy Pacific Northwest. I think maybe I've sprayed them twice with Dupont Teflon Multi-Lube. They seem as sharp as the day I bought them. They are easier to use than my ratchet-type pruner or my anvil-type pruner. Amazon says these will handle 1" branches and I'd have to say that's pretty accurate. I've successfully tackled some bigger stuff but probably should have used my loppers on those.

Edit (two years later) -- I've used these for three seasons now. I've never sharpened them. After the first season, I never lubed them again. I don't even clean them anymore. I just do the pruning that I'm gonna do, then toss them back in the box where I keep my small gardening tools. These things rock! As far as I can tell, they work as good today as the day I bought them. They're not as pretty as they were on Day 1, but who cares? All my other small pruning shears have now found their way into the trash bin.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST pruners on the market, May 12, 2007
The only thing I can say that isn't perfect about this product is that the locking device could be redesigned to be more user friendly. I lost my first pair, great house warming present, I probably tossed them in the trash with my clippings. After buying three different pairs from Home depot I finally broke down and purchased these replacements (at only $15.00 more than the cheap ones), they are awesome and make yard trimming easy!

5.0 out of 5 stars my experience with the Felco pruner, July 16, 2007
I have used the Felco #2 pruner for many years with total satisfaction. I wanted to try the new ergonomic #F8. I like it very well. The speedy service getting it to me was outstanding. Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars F-8 very nice. Best for larger hands. Tried an F-6 too., October 23, 2012
This Felco F-8 is an excellent bypass pruner. It is a little heavy and a holster (Felco F-912 Leather Scabbard Holster with Belt Clip) is a good accessory.

However, the F-8 seems best for larger hands. I have short hands/fingers, and so I also tried a Felco F-6 (Felco F-6 Classic Pruner For Smaller Hands), which is the same pruner made for smaller hands. Frankly, the F-6 was not much of an improvement for me, so I stuck with the F-8. The F-6 has a significantly smaller cutting capacity compared to the F-8, although the difference might not matter for ordinary flower gardening.

F-6 specs: Length 7 1/4 inches, Weight 7.5 ounces. Recommended cutting capacity is 0.8 inches.
F-8 specs: Length 8 1/4 inches, Weight 8.7 ounces. Recommended cutting capacity is 1.0 inches.

Sharpening this type pruner is easy and requires no dissassembly(see Felco's directions/instructions). Use the Corona Clipper AC 8300 Sharpening Tool. And if you don't keep them sharp (and lightly oiled) they will soon dull and rust and be no better than a much less expensive pruner that is dull and rusted.

If you don't think you'll maintain the tool maybe get one of these instead:
1. Corona Clipper BP 3180 1-Inch Capacity Bypass Pruner with Vinyl Coated Steel Handles. I've used this compact pruner in the past and they work fine if maintained. If not maintained, they'll dull and rust too, but they're still less than half the price of the Felco. The quality is nothing like the Felco's, but they're cheap, small and light.
2. Corona Clipper 1-Inch Capacity Bypass Pruner With Vinyl Coated Aluminum Handles BP 6250. I haven't seen these, but they look like a Felco knock-off. They might be the best value for the money regardless of brand.

In my opinion, while I haven't used them, for the average gardener the Corona Clipper 1-Inch Capacity Bypass Pruner With Vinyl Coated Aluminum Handles BP 6250 is probably the most sensible choice out of all those listed herein (including the Felco's). Corona is a good brand for most homeowners, and their products are widely available at local stores selling gardening supplies. Honestly the Felco is overkill for most home gardeners. Really for pros.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Pruner!, August 6, 2009
Lee Edwards (Greensboro, NC) - See all my reviews
This is my first Felco and happily the best pruner I've ever purchased ... a pleasure to use daily and worth the money. Felco lives up to its good reputation ... my only quibble would be to have the locking mechanism easier to use. Lee Edwards, NC