5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing...
Published on February 10, 2007 by Land Shark

1.0 out of 5 stars quit after two years....
Published on December 5, 2012 by Macfatty

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., February 10, 2007
Land Shark (Lake Jackson, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fellowes 450Ms 7-Sheet Micro-Cut Shredder with SafeSense (Office Product)
This shredder is simply amazing! Although it is only rated at a modest 7 sheets, which it will digest quite easily, it is still an impressive machine. I was particularly interested in it because of the MicroShred feature. Most standard cross-cut shredders cut pieces a little too large for my preference. This thing reduces paper to tiny particles - and I do mean tiny! They are about 1/6 the size of a typical cross-cut shredder! I've never seen anything quite like it - they look like small gravel in the basket. Putting 7 sheets of 20-lb paper thru it was no effort at all for this machine. It's also extremely quiet -- it hums rather than growls.

The CD and credit card shredder is a separate, strip-cut slot which can also devour thick pieces of unopened junk mail without missing a beat. The CD shreds drop into a small tray which sits on top of the paper basket. If you need high sheet capacity, consider its big brother the MS-460Cs, which cuts 10 sheets but carries a much higher price tag. But for a typical home or small office, this machine has plenty of capacity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big security for a small price, February 22, 2007
If it shredded any finer I'd call it powder. I never expected such a high degree of security from a home shredder. Fellowes calls the MS-450Cs output "confetti"; I think it's more like sawdust! Like me, if you're sick of screening each page to tear the corner with the staple off before you feed it in, then this is the shredder for you. The MS-450Cs puts a smile on my face each time it quietly - very quietly - munches on small staples. A small price to pay for personal peace-of-mind.

I need it to shred all those *&#@ rewrites of my novels.

James Ide, The Nintoku Incident

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN'T go wrong-Don't waste your time researching-I already did!, April 13, 2010
Triple L (Brooklyn, NY: US) - See all my reviews
I usually don't waste my time writing reviews, but I felt the need to for this shredder. I am the type to research the heck out of things before buying and after having several shredders die on me (ranging from $40-$100) I decided I needed to up the ante. I read mannnny reviews on mannnny sites and settled one this one-Glad I did.
This shredder is AWESOME. I have had it for about 3 months and love it. This is not a shredder-it's a paper annihilator!!!...the paper comes out in squares less than 1/8" by 1/8" -TINY.
I use it mainly for junk mail, bank statements etc. and it easily handles multiple and thick papers.
It's REALLY quiet too and does not need to be emptied often. Keep a check on the shred level, once it's about 3/4 full in the front window, shake the bin a little before opening and all the "dust" settles, push down to compress and you have another week or so before you need to empty. Shake the bin before emptying and you have no shred mess.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fragile parts., February 29, 2008
It's called a Confetti Cut shredder but it's more like a micro cut. Really fine pieces, almost to a dust. My only objection is that some of the important parts are made of flimsy plastic. I had to send the first one back because of broken parts. Other than that this is an excellent shredder. I would recommend but be careful sliding the trash can back after cleaning.

4.0 out of 5 stars In retrospect, a two-year life span, November 25, 2007
My beloved 450cs has finally given up the ghost, a little over two years from the time I bought it (of course it exceeded the excess warranty I purchased from Staples). It appears to be so well jammed up that the mechanism does not move when paper is inserted into it, though the detector still detects paper so that the engine activates. I have used it in a semi-commercial way, for large scale shredding of a lot of stuff in the basement. Often these days, after a half hour or so, the engine overheats and the machine needs to rest. Unlike some, it has a red indicator light that indicates that it is overheated, and if I let it rest for 5-10 minutes or so, I can resume. I am not happy to have to put this to rest, as I wanted more years out of it. Still, I am considering buying another, as it is the best shredder I have ever owned, except for my Fellowes strip cut shredder that I use in my office. And which, of course, they don't make anymore.

I felt like I was overpaying for this when I bought it (not here, for $200), but it even feels like a value at that price. My only complaint about the machine is that it does not live up to its advertised billing of a 7-sheet capacity. I think I can get seven sheets shredded if they are inserted exactly right, but it often balks. Still, paper tends NOT to jam, the opposite of every shredder I have ever used. The most it would take would be a gentle tug with some pliers and even the overload went right through. Considering I have spent literally hours unplugging some low grade models (the Office Depot Ativa comes to mind) this was really unbelievable. And all of the things that others are saying are true. It is SO QUIET!! I have never used a shredder while my daughter is going to sleep without disturbing her! And the microshredding is very easy to bag for recycling. The childproofing (and adult-proofing) apprears to work really well -- the maching does not work if a finger gets to close to it.

I am favorably impressed and expect this unit to last. It seems well built and fundamentally better than any shredder I've ever used, even at the higher price. I am probably going to buy another one for my office.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad!, February 25, 2011
I was recently sitting at my computer desk looking at a rather hefty pile of bank statements, credit card "pre approved!" offers, and old insurance papers from my truck and motorcycle. After letting it pile up for a couple months because I really wasn't feeling enthusiastic about dragging out the old "Staples" brand six-sheet cheapo and grinding through the stack, I realized that it was high time for something of an improvement.

Enter the internet. After considerable research, Fellowes constantly came out on top of the heap for consumer-grade shredders. My budget for the item ran to only $200, so any of the large, commercial units was well out of reach. Within that category, this and one other Fellowes model came to the head of the pack. The final decision was made at our local retailer where I went to examine both of them hands-on. They were out of stock on the other model, which made the decision nice and simple!

When I brought it home and opened the box, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had NOT skimped on packaging for this unit. It was held very securely inside a set of molded "pith" type cardboard spacers, and wrapped inside a plastic bag. The shredder drawer contained the manual and a bottle of oil in a separate bag, along with the little sub-tray that goes under the CD-shredding port to catch the plastic so you can still recycle the paper shreds. The cord even had a nifty little plug-protector slid onto it, to prevent the prongs of the plug from being bent or damaged in shipping. Once I had it out of the box (not a small task, this thing is HEAVY and fits tightly into the packaging) I rolled it over to the plug on the included little wheels (work great on our hardwood floors, not so well on our carpet) and headed off to get my pile of papers to dispose of. By the time I got back to the shredder, my father had already found it. I still haven't been able to get my own documents shredded, he's been too busy emptying out the three large drawers full of the same kind of paperwork he'd been building up for a couple years!

In use, the first thing I noticed was the lack of noise! The loudest sound in the shredding process is the crinkling of the paper as it's pulled into the slot. The motor itself is a muffled hum, and the shredder teeth make sort of a "crunchety" sound as they reduce the paper into tiny bits. And I do mean tiny, these things look like you took a shred from our other shredder, and ran it through a proportionally smaller shredder another time. I can't imagine how you could re-construct anything from these tiny bits, you can't even find printed letters intact. It is also capable of handling the listed seven sheets without any significant strain aside from the motor sounding like it's working marginally harder. No noticeable slowing of the paper shredding process at all. As others have mentioned, the duty cycle is a tad short. Running it constantly at four to six sheets per pass as we grabbed them from the drawer and tossed them in, it ran for about seven minutes before the 'overheat' light popped on and it shut down. Not unexpected, our old cheap-o wouldn't have even handled that many papers to begin with, much less constantly and reducing them to that tiny of bits! Just be aware that if you want to shred your entire year's worth of stashed junk mail, you're going to do it in chunks, giving the tool some time to cool down in between. This was perhaps the heaviest test of use we could give it, the motor never shut down from the time we started feeding it to the time the overheat telltale came on. If you're doing standard office shredding where you toss a few pages in every couple of minutes, or disposing of junk mail as it comes in, you'll never even notice.

As an added benefit, the tiny nature of the shreds means that you can stack a LOT of them into the waste pail before it fills up. Unfortunately, it also means that some of them get loose, and static is NOT your friend here. They stick to the plastic waste pail, the side of the shredder, and everything else they come into contact with. I certainly can't blame Fellowes for static electricity, though. Just be aware, and have a little dust-buster or something handy to clean up the errant little bits after you're done emptying the waste basket.

Overall, I give this tool four stars; It's a good shredder that could be improved a bit. Better cooling on the motor to extend the duty cycle a bit and some kind of better seal to the basket to keep the shreds in would really make it shine. If you don't mind those minor quibbles, though, the security afforded by the micro-shredding and the silence of the system makes this a very nice addition to the home or home office. I would definitely buy it again, given it's performance. Have to see how it holds up long-term, but I see no reason this tool won't keep performing well for a long time.

FOLLOWUP (1/9/12) -- Now almost a year after purchase, I am still using the unit to dispose of the whole family's junk mail as it comes in, along with pretty much everything else printed around here. Expired credit cards, bank cards and the like I actually (don't tell Fellowes!) just toss into the main slot instead of the CD slot. It happily and un-protestingly reduces the cards to the same tiny little bits. Putting them through the CD slot leaves them as long strips that would not be all that hard to re-construct well enough for someone to use the numbers. After shredding in the main slot? Not a prayer. I've also learned that if you let it sit and empty the tray BEFORE you start shredding, the static charge has had a chance to deplete and the paper bits aren't quite as enthusiastic about exploring the world. Touch less than one year now, still running and still happy as can be with it!

FOLLOWUP (3/26/13) -- Still working just fine, still doing day-to-day removal of junk mail and general unwanted paperwork. The little bottle of oil that came with it is totally gone now and I've started working my way through a bottle of shredder oil from a local office supply place. No sign of trouble at all, two years and some change in.

FOLLOWUP (11/13/14) -- Still working like a champ, just disposed of another stack of junkmail last night. Nearly to the 4-year mark, and still working great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellowes Powershred MS-450C, February 19, 2007
This item is very quiet and shreds paper, credit cards, computer disks, etc. with a cut that nearly pulverizes it. Perfect for small businesses who need to dispose of customer credit card information and in general, feel confident that your data cannot be reconstructed.

1.0 out of 5 stars quit after two years...., December 5, 2012
This shredder worked great for home office if you don't have to shred very much. It would overheat after just three to five minutes of shredding. Then you wait 15 to 20 min to continue shredding. and once its warm it overheats two to three minutes into shredding. I could never shred more than three sheets of standard copy paper in it and when i ran a disc trough it bogged down and made loud noise. I tried oiling the blades at each use it did not help. After two years It just quit shredding. I removed the bottom of the shredding unit (4 screws) to see if something was jammed. What I found was the drive gears,made of very soft metal had just fallen apart. This unit has a 5 year warranty on the cutting blades only, 1 year on everything else. I called Fellows to see if I could Get the Gear set to repair it. I told them I'm willing to pay for the gears. They said not available without even checking. I think they have this happen frequently. I purchase parts every day for appliances up to 20 years old yet fellows cannot find a part for a 2 year old shredder? The answer was to sell me another $260.00 shredder on the phone. I Would NEVER purchase another Fellows product. I have 25+ years in electronics and appliance repair business as an certified technician, business owner and instructor. Poor Product and Poor Customer Service = No Customer...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine!, December 9, 2007
Two things about this shredder:
1. Data recovery. No one will be able to piece back together anything shredded by the MS-450C. Paper is simply shred that finely. Better than anything else I've ever seen.
2. Quietness. Perhaps I should've put this first. I can shred while my wife sleeps in the next room, something I never would have attempted before.
Please, do your research, check opinions on other shredders, whatever you need to do. But you will come back to buy this model. Absolutely no bad things to say about it. The CD/DVD shredder part is actually a different feed than the paper shredder, a feature not seen on many machines. By that I mean not only is there a different slot, but it has a different method of shredding them.
I've had this machine about a month now. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Secure & Quiet Shredder, September 22, 2007
I bought this earlier this month from Amazon ($172.04 & free shipping,)and have found it to be a wonderful replacement for my Royal confetti heavy duty shredder which died after years of trouble-free, but very noisy, use.

My chief concern was small, very small, cross-cut shreds with at least being able to shred 5 sheets at once.

This does that, plus more. The most amazing thing is the teeny, teeny size of the shred. It's almost dust-like. No one could put those pee-wee pieces back together. I'm feeling nice & secure with it.

It takes its advertised 7 sheets at a time with no problem. I've also done a few CDs and plastic cards; again no problem.

I'm used to a faster machine so this seems a tad slow but that's a very minor downside for me. What's wondrous is how quiet it is in operation. It almost silent when shredding. That's QUITE a change from my old Royal but let me confess: I was startled to see an ad for shredder oil when I was searching for a replacement cross-cut shredder. It jarred something way back in the recesses of my mind and I remembered, about 10 years ago when I bought the Royal, also buying shredder oil. I never used it though. Completely forgot about it. No wonder my Royal sounded like a 747 at take-off though, heaven bless it, it performed like a champ anyway. No wonder it died; it was dead dry for almost a decade and it's a miracle it worked so well with my neglect!

I'm keeping the shredder oil that was included in the Fellowes box right by the shredder; won't make that mistake again.

So, overall, this is a wondrously quiet unit that takes 7 sheets and a CD/credit card and turns them into incredibly teeny-weeny shreds. I'm happy.

Fellowes 450Ms 7-Sheet Micro-Cut Shredder with SafeSense