We live on one floor of a house in New York City, which is a constant assault on the senses. We hear, even feel, and unfortunately smell just about everything that goes on in our neighborhood. This air purifier is one great source of relief.

Published 10 months ago by John P. Thiel

3.0 out of 5 stars Does filter the air, but is a bit large and loud
I haven't ever used an air purifier before, so wasn't sure what to expect. I put this one in our bedroom. We live in the country and had the windows open much of the time during the last several weeks. It's DUSTY in the country, especially during harvest season. I did feel that I could actually see a difference in the amount of dust that accumulated on the horizontal...
Published 10 months ago by Kristi

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I took the time to try it out thoroughly before reviewing., October 15, 2013
This review is from: Fellowes Allergy and Asthma Friendly AeraMax 300 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Our first impression upon receiving this item was that it seemed bulky compared to the models we saw in stores, and that it essentially was a circulation unit with a filter like you might have in your air conditioning ducts in a house. But after actually using it, my wife and I realized it's a very high capacity air purifier with a lot of great features that we really love.

For starters, it doesn't just filter air. It also sends out ions, which for us, coming from Japan, is an essential function which justifies the higher price tag. Negative ions are only created in nature by flowing water, and those of us who are used to products which have this feature definitely appreciate it. It simply makes the air fresher in addition to cleaner.

The automatic sensor function is our other favorite feature. It automatically senses anything from smoke, to sweat, to your neighbor's cooking. Our neighbor uses a lot of spices in their seemingly nightly frying of fish, and we were suprised at how this filter removes the smell almost entirely. It also senses when I come home from hours of cycling, stinking of sweat. We are suprised at how well it detects odors and eliminates them.

But silence is probably the most surprising thing about it. It couldn't possibly be any quieter. It makes us think there must be some model of air conditioner which is as quiet as this unit is.

Bottom Line: At first glance or a demo, you might think this isn't a very sophisticated appliance, but you would be wrong. It functions far better than expected, and if you have been using spray air fresheners in your home until now you might want to try doing away with them and trying one of these instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review From An Allergy Sufferers Perspective, October 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A bit of background about me before I launch into my review. I've been suffering from allergies for about 15 years or since moving to the East Coast (Washington D.C. area) and now in the Midwest. My allergies tend to be seasonal with peak symptoms in the spring and fall. I have tried pretty much everything you can think of including using over the counter drugs (Zyrtec, Allegra, Claratin and others) to using a Neti-pot, and even going to an allergist and receiving specially formulated shots. My home is even outfitted with a hepa-filtration system along with the traditional air and electrostatic filtration.

So when given the opportunity to try out a new product claiming help filter out allergens I jumped at the opportunity.

I've had the Fellows AeraMax 300 in my home for about 20-days and use it daily.

SETUP:

Setting up the AeraMax is extremely easy. The unit comes fully assembled in the box and only needs to be removed from the packaging. The filters are individually wrapped in plastic already inside the unit and require unwrapping before first use. There is a small pamphlet inside the packaging with brief information on using the AeraMax. Other than that it's as simple as plugging in the unit you're set.

USE:

Using the AeraMax is quite easy. After turning on the unit the default setting is auto-mode which according to the instructions samples the air quality in your environment and automatically adjusts the fan speed accordingly. You can manually adjust the fan speed and remove the AeraMax from auto-mode. The front-facing control panel features backlit touch sensitive keys. The fan will indicate the quality of your environment air by adjusting the backlit color from blue (good quality) to amber (low-quality) and finally red (polluted air). In auto mode the fan will adjust based on the results of the sampling so an amber or red LED would result in a higher fan speed.

Initially I tended to adjust the fan myself but I've taken to leaving the fan in auto mode and letting it adjust accordingly overnight.

I have noticed during my use that the AeraMax tends to ramp up (detect air pollutants) more frequently when my air conditioner comes on. This makes sense as this is when dust and associated pollutants are likely kicked up. I am using the AeraMax in my master-bedroom in a room slightly larger than the 300 sq. ft. this unit is meant to operate in ideally.

The AeraMax uses two filters - a carbon filter and a hepa filter. Both are consumables requiring periodic change out. The carbon filter is recommended replaced every 3-months and the hepa filter annually. The carbon filter (model 9324201) comes in a four-pack for about $10 and the hepa-filter (model 9287201) is about $50 here on Amazon.

ALLERGY SUFFER'S IMPRESSION:

As I stated earlier, I'm used to having pretty miserable times during spring and fall even while actively taking OTC medication and my prescription allergy regimen. The AeraMax has most definitely helped me through the fall period. I run the AeraMax in my master-bedroom all night and wake up without my usual congestion or coughing fits. Obviously the AeraMax isn't to be solely credited with that. Some days are worse than others but I have noted a noticeable difference in how I feel and the severity of my allergies.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE AERAMAX:

(+) Helps this long-time allergy sufferer through the night. I tend to sleep better because I'm not waking up sneezing or coughing and thus feel better throughout my day.
(+) Attractive design and form including the backlit led touchkeys
(+) Relatively inexpensive filters
(+) The fan diffuser is adjustable up and down

WHAT I DISLIKE ABOUT THE AERAMAX:

(-) The backlit keys (blue LEDs) are quite bright and do not have any type of adjustment setting. I had to place my AeraMax in a corner, tucked next to a nightstand facing away from my bed because of their brightness.
(-) The fan can be quiet noisy when it ramps up speed.

--------------------
CONCLUSION:

Based on my positive experience with the filtration capabilities of the AeraMax 300 I'm willing to overlook some minor gripes and recommend this product!

4.0 out of 5 stars I Do Like This AeraMac 300 Air Purifier!, September 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The fellows company makes several models of air purifiers, a few of which fall under the AeraMax title.
The AeraMax 100 purifies 100sf, the 200 purifies 200sf, and the 300 accordingly.

This AeraMax 300 resides in a 14x20 foot bedroom which is nearly 300 ft.
This is my first air purifier.

Packaging and instruction, Initial Visual Impression:

The 300 came packaged securely with no damage. Fearing that it might look cheap and hideous like some plastic fans I have seen, I was happy to see that it was rather on the sleek looking side, appearing to be good quality, and wouldn't be too intrusive looking in the room.
This unit came with the quick user guide which request that you go online to their website to see the full users manual. This does not bother me as it does some other reviewers of the smaller models. I'm all for saving trees, and it doesn't bother me to go online and look the full manual up. When I went to the website the manual for the 300 is not listed as yet, and I assumed that because the model is so new that perhaps they do not have it posted yet but will eventually. I looked at the manual for the 200 and watched the videos, assuming the AeraMax models have similar guidelines. The two units are similar in operation and it was easy for me to figure out the operation of the 300 without the actual manual.
The instructions are fairly straightforward. Turn the machine on from a switch in the back. You can choose automatic mode or you can adjust the fan from low speed to high speed manually and turn Auto off. I found that I prefer to use this machine on automatic.

Setup:
The AeraMax comes nearly ready to plug in other than the quick removal of plastic which surrounds the filters. There are two filters. One of the filters is the charcoal filter which needs to replaced about every three months, and the other accordion like filter I believe needs to be replaced about once a year. The charcoal filter faces the front of the purifier and the other filter sits back behind it. Supposedly these replacement filters are easy to order online.

Testing:
When I first tested we had our attic fan on and the windows open. I set the purifier on automatic. With the attic fan on and the windows open the fan remained on low with the blue light indicator showing in the automatic setting. At first the indicator light was blinking for about 10 minutes or so and I thought I needed to select something but found out that this is standard while the machine calculates the air quality. The flashing stopped and the purifier remained on low fan with blue quality indicator on. This told me that the air that the attic fan was pulling through the windows must be pretty clean. We had had a lot of rain lately so perhaps this had something to do with it.
I then closed the windows and turned the attic fan off. I closed the door in our bedroom.
The fan remained on low for about 30 minutes or so and then fan shot up to high with the impurity indicator switching from blue(clean) to amber (not as clean) and then to red (pollution..) with the fan jumping up to high. The fan stayed on high for about 45 minutes or so, then the color slowly changed from red to Amber with the fan adjusting itself accordingly, then back down to blue with the fan adjusting itself to low. After that I fell asleep and in the morning the 300 was on low fan with blue indicator light.
I have done this attic fan/open window test several times. The AeraMax has moved up to amber now and then but not that often so I guess right now our outside air quality is pretty good. When I turn off the attic fan and shut the window the purifier goes up to amber then red much more often than it does with the windows open/attic fan.

White Noise:
I am a big White Noise fan so I love to hear the fan even on high. No complaints there. It reminds me of sitting in an airplane and lulls me right to sleep. I like it in the bedroom and it wouldn't bother me in another room in the house. That's just me. I also have a bit of Tinnitus and it really helps me forget about that. I recommend this kind of White Noise for those of you with crickets chirping in your ears...like me.

Air Flow:
The air intake vents are on the left and right side of this unit in front of where the filters sit, ... not in the back, so if you wanted to place it up against a wall it would not affect the air flow.
On the high setting it can really blow a lot of air out, and the air grates are adjustable so that you can aim the air. I don't know about you but a stuffy room really gets to me whether it's Summer or Winter, so I welcome the strong airflow of this unit.

Complaints:
The only thing that I have to complain about the Fellowes AeraMax 300 is the fact that the panel lights cannot be turned off at night. For many customers this may be a deal breaker. In my opinion there should be a button that allows for this feature. Once a person goes to bed they are not going to want to fiddle with the controls, so I do not understand why there is not an option to turn the lights off.

Conclusion:
All in all I am very pleased with this air purifier. It appears to be of high quality, and is not unattractive. Not gorgeous, but not bad. It works well. I would purchase again, but I hope that Fellowes will consider adding the option to turn the lights off at night!

UPDATE OCTOBER 9/2013:
To be completely honest, after sleeping with this purifier for a couple of weeks now, I have found the blue lights that will not shut off are really disturbing my sleep! Everything else about the unit is a+ however this one issue is a BIG issue. (I hope the Fellowes folks pay attention...)
If you are not planning on having this in your bedroom then it won't matter to you.
For a child that loves a night light,...perfect!
NOT for me! I want my room completely black, and when it is not I tend to awaken often and therefore end up losing sleep. If I can't come up with a way to cover the BRIGHT blue lights, I will have to move the Fellowes out of the bedroom.

What a shame as otherwise this is a quality purifier that does a good job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, November 11, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We are loving this air purifier so much! We live in a 900 square foot apartment with 3 cats, so we have a lot of dust, hair and litter box odor floating around. We have been on the lookout for a good air purifier for a while now (we already have 2 smaller ones that do not do much good) so I am extremely grateful to have the chance to give this one a try.

Setup was really easy. Pretty much just take it out of the box and plug it in.

It is really quiet which is a plus for us. There is an indicator light on the front of the purifier that let's you know when it has picked up some particles, which makes me feel like it's doing it's job.

Our apartment is so much more pleasant since we've had the air purifier. It has eliminated the smell of the litter box odor entirely and has made the air cleaner and fresher. One of our cats loves to sit on the back of a chair right in the flow of the vent to catch all the fresh air.

The HEPA filters do seem to run a little expensive (while the carbon filters are pretty affordable), but they only need to be replaced once a year, and to me it is worth it for the health benefits and the peace of mind of not breathing in a bunch of pollutants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and effective, October 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Fellowes 9320501 AeraMax 300 is much larger than I'd expected. (It was packed carefully and well and arrived in excellent condition.) Thankfully, it's relatively sleek, white and gray, so it doesn't catch the eye, but it doesn't just hide in the corner of the room. I live in NYC, so apartments are small and you can't help notice the air purifier.

Having used the AeraMax 300 for a few weeks, I was happy to find that it worked very well - even when we hadn't realized that there was a need to purify the air. I was very glad to have it when the light turned red alerting us to the gas escaping from the oven while we were cooking. Since we could only smell the roasting chicken and not the gas, I felt comforted when the AeraMax 300 turned red and then continued working and clearing the air. This ability to catch and correct the quality of the air that we wouldn't have caught convinced me of the value of having the air purifier despite the space that it takes up in the small apartment.

The AeraMax 300 is also surprisingly quiet, it makes less noise than an electric fan and the sound is basically white noise and soothing.

If you live in a city, you'll likely find the AeraMax 300 a big help in counteracting the everyday pollution.

UPDATE: I've been using the AeraMax 300 for 4 months now and have grown to like it even more. Now that we've had very cold weather, I turn on the AeraMax 300 whenever I run the gas oven to make sure that the air quality in our condo is safe. It complements and supplements the oven fan system and I appreciate being able to see the different air quality levels. There are times when without the unit on, I would not have known that the air was "bad" but the red and orange lights gave some sort of alert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, October 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This air filter is well made, lightweight, and works extremely well. It has a sleek design and fits nicely in the corner of my bedroom. The low setting is very quiet. The high setting is, of course, quite a bit louder but still not obnoxious. You can run it on 'auto', and the fan will adjust itself up and down according to the air in the room. Or you can set it yourself to remain on one of four speeds.

The fan is at the top of the unit and can be adjusted to point straight out toward the front or straight up at the ceiling - or anywhere in between. The air circulation is powerful and can double as a fan on warm nights.

A light will come on and signal when the filter needs to be changed. It's simple to do. The filter slides in and out on the side of the unit. (Make sure you take the plastic wrapping off before turning on the unit.)

The only issue I have is that the lights that glow on the various buttons are fairly bright. They become a pretty strong nightlight, and I prefer my bedroom dark.

I got this to replace a (very) old air purifier that was heavy, clunky, and did not have the features this one has. So far my husband and I are really happy with this one and would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want clean air look here!, January 7, 2014
I Love this air purifier, it's large, but light weight, cleans any air pollution in your home in a flash. Very easy to use, and it lets you know when your filters need to be replaced. On top of this it's beautiful and quite. The auto adjust, automatically changes fan speed depending on how dirty the air is. Its easy and fast to set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to love?, October 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have absolutely terrible allergies, and this year they seemed to be worse than they have the last few years, which is why I decided to get the Fellowes AeraMax Air Purifier, that and the fact that it claims to filter out the flu virus. I have a seven year old, and a 8 mos old in the house and I am very concerned that the 8 mos old might get the flu so I am hoping that this little beauty lives up to it's claim.

First, it was very well packaged. Everything arrived safely and was easy to unpack and setup. It probably took less than 5 mins to get it from the box, to having it plugged in and working. I initially thought I would put it in the bedroom, but it was actually quite a bit larger than I expected it to be. Yes, I know, the dimensions are listed in the description, but I didn't really pay attention to that part. Based on the picture I thought it would be more like a table top purifier, but it definitely is much larger than that, so I placed in the family room.

I keep it plugged in all the time, and for the most part when the light is blue, you can't even hear it cycle the air. When we open the front door it often turns orange, or red, and runs at the speed it needs to to clean the air quickly. I have the fan set on auto so that the purifier itself determines how high the fan needs to run. I've noticed that I don't have to take my allergies pills as often as I did prior to having the purifier and for that alone I think this is worth every penney.

I couldn't be more pleased with this product and I highly recommend it. It leaves the air clean, without odors, and once you plug it in, you don't have to do anything else to it except for maybe changing the filters (which I haven't had to do yet).

p.s. if you want this in your bedroom the blue lights might bother you. If they do, then you may want to try using black electrical tape over a few of the lights. I don't mind the fan noise (when you can hear it) because even on high it's fairly quiet and more like white noise. I honestly don't even notice when it's running anymore, even when it's on high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Owner in Midtown's Godsend, October 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
How did I ever survive all these years without a proper air purifier? I've lived in New York City most of my adult life and in Manhattan most of that, plus I'm strictly a windows-open kind of gal--unless people are actually dying of the heat, no AC (having northern, and now northern and western exposure makes this possible). Outdoor odors, if they actually occur, have never been a problem for me but I'm only recently down from four cats to two. In addition, my superior cross-ventilation's fellow traveler is some of the vilest soot you can imagine and high turnover from neighboring apartments is a guarantee of the horrifying industrial odors that accompany every renovation, courtesy of my air vents. An air purifier portable enough to move from room to room as needed, large enough to service my 10' x 30' living room (the bedroom is considerably smaller) seemed made to order. Enter the Fellowes 9320501 AeraMax 300 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter.

The AeraMax 300's product page promised a nice-looking appliance that wasn't an eyesore and I wasn't disappointed when I opened the box. It's ultra-modern and, for a room as large as my living room, is surprisingly unobtrusive (your own mileage may vary). Not only is the fan's speed adjustable (not surprising and one would certainly hope so), but the user can customize according to air quality as well, including allowing the AeraMax 300 to adjust itself based on what it detects. I'm pleased to report that it's smart enough to do an excellent job.

Another feature I like is that there's no question of when to change the filters--the AeraMax 300 lets you know and those filters perform as promised. It's nice to not only be protected from the Midtown equivalent of black lung but to not be awakened due to particularly malodorous nocturnal feline calls of Nature as well--the lowest fan speed is quiet enough to not interfere with my sleep. I only wish that I'd had the AeraMax 300 when an onslaught of what seemed to be extremely irritating smoke had me and the neighbors calling management to report the possibility of a fire. It turned out to have been a tenant on another floor's cooking (and possibly burning) very hot peppers. And then there are the inevitable neighbors who feel obliged to indulge in, shall we say?, "imported tobacco," sometimes enough so that I fear a contact high. Fortunately, eliminating such problems is just a few pushes of buttons away. :)

Suffice it to say that I couldn't be more pleased with my AeraMax 300. My only caveat is that the replacement filters (and there are two involved) are rather expensive but in all fairness, they seem to last quite awhile. No sense in belaboring the point about its features given that the product description tells you pretty much what you need to know about its specs but from a performance perspective, this is a first-class appliance. I'll update if I think it's necessary but based on my own use so far, the Fellowes 9320501 AeraMax 300 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter has earned the proverbial enthusiastic thumbs-up, so much so that I plan to recommend it to my dad.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Office REALLY Needed This Air Purifier: What A Difference!, October 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most of the posted reviews here focus, understandably, on the use of this air purifier in their homes. The reviews are, to date, categorically positive and I wondered if this device might solve some ongoing problems for me at the office. I am delighted to report that is has successfully done so.

First, let me explain the situation before commenting specifically on this Fellowes 9320501.
The size of my office is about 280 sq. ft. It is in a 1960's-era office building with a contained air system. No windows can be opened and the air, heat and cooling (when they work correctly) are a mix of recirculating air along with a modest amount of fresh air brought in through intakes on the roof of the building. So far as anyone can determine, the vents and ductwork have not been cleaned in (at least) the 25 years I have been there. Sometimes, it smells stale and me and many of my colleagues suffer from mild-moderate dust and seasonal allergies. Selfishly and curiously, I installed this air purifier in my office. After two weeks, I can report that the results are easily noticeable and welcome!

The unit sits, unobtrusively, against a wall next to a bookcase. The "white noise" it generates is actually a welcome additional feature as it tends to mute the continual sound of voices from adjacent offices. The "Blue light issue" is not an issue as there are many things in my office that have small, ever-present, blue lights.

The install was straight-forward. Like others, I found the complete manual online for reference, but did not find it necessary to set the device up and turn it on.

It is attractive - for a machine! It actually looks exactly like the photos of it here on Amazon and the given dimensions are true so reiterating them here serves no useful purpose. Suffice it to say, it will not fit on your dust but will not be an unattractive or visually intrusive addition to most rooms.

The proof of the pudding came in the impact. By the second day of use, three things became evident to me. 1) My nose that had been running (ONLY in the office) simply stopped. The weather and outdoor pollen count had remained steady; 2) The dust that could be easily seen when looking at a beam of sunlight, diminished dramatically, and 3) Colleagues coming into my office began to comment that it did not seem to have that same stale smell that permeated the rest of our offices. KABAM! Success.

This is my very first air purifier, so my expectations were modest, even guarded. The results confirm that my allergies were not "neurotic,' the dust was not imaginary and the stale smell was really there - and still is in the rest of the offices. Two of my colleagues have already gone ahead and ordered one of these units for themselves.

It does use two filters (one HEPA and one Dust) that will need to be replaced every so often. I have not researched the price of these yet but do not expect them to cost anything more than the parallel two filters that get replaced about every 6 months on my Miele vacuum cleaner at home. Other than that and being sure that neither the intake or exhaust openings are blocked, it requires no additional maintenance.

If my need/situations sounds anything like your own, you might want to invest in one of these units. Breathing clean, purified air can make a tremendous difference in your life. It has certainly done so in mine.

Rate and Discover Movies