5.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow but works well and is very useful
Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:16 Mins
Published on April 24, 2012 by M. Erb

1.0 out of 5 stars Jammed in less than 5 months !!
Infrequent, moderate use and this is already jamming. Laminate goes in a quarter of the way and then jams. I have to push on the release lever to get the laminate out. Laminate will only go through without any material in the pouch (i.e. worthless).

Now past the return window so I am looking into a warranty claim. What a hassle.

Clicking on a...
Published 15 months ago by nacnud

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow but works well and is very useful, April 24, 2012
This review is from: Fellowes Laminator Saturn2 125, 12.5-Inch with 10 Pouches (5727701) (Office Product)
Length:: 5:16 Mins

The Fellowes Saturn 2 125 Laminator is a very useful device to have in the home or office. This particular model is presumably a bit more office oriented since it has the capability of laminating things that are up to 12.5 inches in width. The laminator accepts either 3, 4 or 5 mil laminating packets and is capable of "cold" laminating when you are using self-adhesive pouches that are not intended to be heated.

When you first plug in the unit, it automatically goes into the cold laminating mode. This is a good safety feature since you have to manually push one of the three, pouch thickness buttons to activate the heating element. Once you've selected the pouch thickness, the unit takes about 4-5 minutes to achieve operating temperature. It should also be mentioned that the device remains cool enough to touch even though internally it is quite hot. A quiet fan can be heard but it is very low in volume and barely noticeable. When the unit is unplugged, it will take 60-90 minutes to completely cool down.

The laminator feeds the pouch through the machine at a rate of 12 inches per minute. It is not fast. For high production volumes of laminated items, you'll be spending a good deal of time feeding the pouches through the machine. If a pouch gets jammed for some reason, there is a lever in the back of the machine that you can depress. This removes tension from the rollers allowing you to manually remove the pouch from the machine.

Occasionally a lamination will have bubbles. You can usually feed it through the machine again and in most cases that will eliminate the bubbles,.

I use this quite often and it has performed well. It is quiet in operation and does a great job. There are a variety of pouch sizes available and you can easily trim pouches to fit the item after it has been laminated.

The laminator comes with a packet of 10-3mil laminating sheets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laminator - horrible instructions, July 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's start with my complaint: The instructions included with this laminator are horrible. They really don't give you much help and they pretty much leave it up to you to figure out how to use the device. Granted, it's not that hard to use, but some decent instructions would have been nice.

With that out of the way, even my first laminated page turned out perfect.

What you get:

One laminator. Letter/A4 capacity.
A pack of ten letter sized 3-mil pouches.
Weak instructions.

This laminator supports three different thicknesses of pouches:

* Fellowes Hot Laminating Pouches, Letter, 3 mil, Enhance, 100 Pack (52454)
* Fellowes Hot Laminating Pouches, Letter, 4 mil, Impress (Apparently not sold at Amazon)
* Fellowes Hot Laminating Pouches, Letter, 5 mil, Capture, 100 Pack (52040)

You can also use smaller pouches for smaller items, like photos or tags.

When you turn on the power, you select either "cold" mode (for self-adhesive laminating) or hot. If you select hot, you have to pick either 3 mil, 4 mil, or 5 mil. After that, it takes the laminator about 5-6 minutes to warm up. Once it's warmed up, you feed the top of your page into the laminator and it automatically rolls the page through the device.

The result is a nice smooth page with no bubbles or delamination.

This is definitely a handy item to own. It's much cheaper than going down to the local office supply store to have them laminate your page for you. And if you buy the consumables in bulk (100), your cost is somewhere around $.20-$.30 per sheet. That's not too bad, especially when you consider that these types of work or school projects usually pop up at night, and who wants to go out late at night just to pay a fortune to laminate their kid's pages?

4.0 out of 5 stars You might not need a top of the line laminator, April 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using the Voyager 125, which is a top of the line laminator from Fellowes. It is a really nice laminator with all the bells and whistles. And I got the Saturn2 125, which was a way cheaper than the Voyager 125. After a month of use, I have found out that I do not need to spend 3 times more money for a laminator for the simple laminating jobs.

The entry width of the Voyager 125 and the Saturn2 125 is the same (12.5"), so both of them can laminate pretty much the same size. And the Saturn2 125 did the laminating just fine and did it quietly. Although max pouch thickness support is smaller than the Voyager 125 has, this would not be a problem for my home usage. The look of the Saturn2 125 is fantastic and the back-lit touch buttons on the top panels are really nice. As far as the laminating time is concerned, the Saturn2 125 took more time than the Voyager 125, however, it was acceptable. I did not try a cold lamination that requires self adhesive laminating sheets. This is a feature that the Voyager 125 does not have.

Overall, I am fully satisfied with the Saturn2 125. I have not had any problem and it just works. If you are looking for a decent laminator in a reasonable price, the Saturn2 125 is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Poduct w/ a Great Warranty and Customer Service, April 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered this laminator since I have a 4-year-old who is a prolific artist, and my wife and I were looking for a way to preserve some of her "masterpieces." My wife is also pretty crafty and likes to teach, so this sort of thing would get a lot of use in our house.

When the package arrived, I unpacked it immediately but didn't get around to using it for a few weeks. When Ifinally turned it on, Idiscovered an electrical error that prevented the laminator from changing settings. After about 15 minutes on the phone with Fellowes customer service, they determined we had a defective machine and immediately sent a new one under their 2-year warranty program. No hassles, no returns, no waiting. The customer service was simply excellent.

In about a week, the new laminator arrived, and it works great. The product comes with a sample pack of 3-mil pouches to help you get started right away. I laminated several pieces of my daughter's artwork and a few recipes that Ihad been saving, and they look fantastic. The 3-mil is sturdy and waterproof, but not completely rigid. I am looking forward to ordering some of the different types of pouches to try for all of the projects I have planned.

The Saturn2 125 is an updated model with a fairly user-friendly design. The machine is light and easy to move around, so you don't have to set aside a dedicated work area for it. One particularly nice feature is the cold laminating option, which works with self-sealing pouches. It also has settings to laminate heat-sealing pouches in 3-mil, 4-mil, and 5-mil thickness.

Even though this isn't the beefiest laminator, it has enough options and features to meet the demands of any household (and probably some small businesses). Overall it works well, and it is backed by a good warranty as well as great customer service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jammed in less than 5 months !!, June 23, 2013

Clicking on a single star seems to be antithetical but that's my only option.

Just talked to customer service for Fellowes and they are stumped as to why this is jammed. So, they are going to send me a new one!

Great service. No hassle. I was very happy with the machine before it jammed, and I highly recommend spending the extra money for a 5 mil laminator - it's a much better look.

UPDATE: 5/24/14: THIS MACHINE MUST HAVE A DESIGN FLAW.

Now on my third machine (replaced twice by Fellowes, great service, they are doing the right thing); however, the customer service rep told me I should run a cleaning sheet through my laminator after every THIRD use! Seems like a lot of maintenance, not to mention the extra cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Perfect ..., July 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After countless trips to Staples and endless minutes waiting for my laminated class materials, I decided give the Fellowes Saturn a spin. My overall experience was immensely positive. Here are some thoughts for those who are planning to invest in this tool:

Pros:
-Petite design. I very much appreciate how little space this device consumes. (And how easily it is stowed away in a desk drawer).
-Easy to use. Push a button and the Fellowes Saturn does all the work for you. (It self-feeds the paper.)
-Waterproof. We ran our laminated note cards under the kitchen facet. Not a drop penetrated the sealed sides. We also folded and creased the cards ... the seal remained unbroken.

Con:
-Lack of instructions. Having never used a laminator before, I had no idea that there were different functions. I had to search the internet for details on what these buttons mean and when to use them. Explicit, detailed instructions would be most welcome.

In sum, I am impressed at this inexpensive yet highly effective little device. It has already saved me gas-money, time, and frustration. In my mind, that makes the Fellowes Saturn nearly perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, March 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a larger laminator but thought I might try this one. I love it. It is sleek and light. Yet, it can handle average size jobs with no problem. It has three size selections 3mil, 4mil and 5mil. My favorite feature on this one is the cold option. I use self sealing pouches from time to time and constantly have to fight air bubbles. However, I can place the self sealing pouches through this machine on the cold setting and no bubbles. It doesn't take up much space when stored, but does require about two square feet when in use. The larger versions require the same, but take up more space when not in use. This product, like most laminators does require a wall socket. This one is light enough to move around as often as needed. It accommodates pouches of three thicknesses and up to 12.5 inches wide. It comes with 10 letter size pouches. However, you can get a starter kit of pouches with 4 different sizes for under $25. This machine is very easy to set up, very easy to use and can handle average size jobs. A definite plus for any office or home!Definitely worth the money, good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, March 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As with most family's, we have many items we'd like to preserve.
So we were eagar to try this Fellowes laminator.
A package of ten standard size, 9" x 11 1/2", 3 mil pouches are included,
so we were able to start laminating immediately.

We preserved some of my mother's recipe's, our children's high school report cards,
family obituaries, and some black and white photo's that were fading badly.
All items turned out very nicely, and we're very pleased with the results.
One thing to note is, these pouches are 'high sheen gloss'
and if your item has wrinkles, the gloss may accentuate them.
Non-glare pouches may be better on item with wrinkles.
The items we laminated that weren't wrinkled, turned out perfectly!

This laminator couldn't be any easier to use, all that's needed is to plug it in,
turn the switch on the back, to 'on', and it's immediately ready to cold laminate.
For heating, press the setting you want for either, - three - four - or five mil.
The unit beeps when it's ready. It heated ready for 3 mil in five minutes.
Simply place your item between the two pages of the laminating pouch
and place the sealed end of the pouch straight in the laminator.
The unit pulls the item through. There's a release switch on the back if needed.
The full size 9" x 11 1/2" pages we laminated were completed in 50 seconds.

This is perfect for preserving office documents,
and/or items you care about, in the comfort of your home.
The laminator is 23" long, 6" deep, and 4 1/4" high.
Fellowes Saturn laminator is compact in size, given that it laminates up to 12 1/2" wide.

This Fellowes Saturn 125 laminator is 480 watts, and seems to be solidly built.
It's outer plastic shell is of heatguard technology, we really like that feature.
The laminator's outside barely felt warm to the touch,
so nothing to worry about with safety.
For now, there's every reason to feel this Fellowes laminator
would keep working for many years to come.

We can have item's laminated economically at our local library.
Been there, done that, and have often been disappointed.
We've gotton our treasure's back with wrinkle's in the lamination,
the lamination cut cock-eyed, and cut into the item.
You just can't beat the convenience of having a laminator
in your home or office, and having control of the quality.

Note that the Saturn can use only, three - four - and - five mil.
If you need to use thicker pouches, say 7 or 10 mil for more protection,
you'll need to purchase a different unit.
Fellowes top three are;
#1. Voyager,
#2. Titan,
#3. Venus.
All three will use 10 mil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, high quality lamination - great for home, office, school - perfect model, March 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received the Fellowes Saturn 125 laminator for use in my home office, laminating support materials for customer and common reference cards. I don't do a high volume, but often I print guides that need lamination. I also have some personal needs for it as well, laminating educational materials for the kids (and preserving their favorite artwork).

When you look at laminator models, there are many different models available that all accomplish the same basic task. You put your document inside a lamination pouch (two sheets of plastic) and slip them in the slot. It then slowly feeds the pouch and document across a heating element that seals the pouch shut (or in the case of cold lamination, just squeezes it shut). Fellowes makes many models in increasing price, but the Saturn 125 seems to be a good "middle-of-the-road" model.

First, it is 12.5" wide meaning I can laminate even larger documents with ease using 12x18 pouches. Second, it will allow pouches up to 5 mil thick. Less expensive units can only do small documents 5 mil thick - the Saturn can handle a whole sheet. The Saturn also features HeatGuard technology, meaning the outside stays cool while the inside heats up.

The only downside I saw was speed. The unit took 5 minutes to heat up and about 1 minute to laminate an 8x10 sheet of paper. For normal use, this is no issue. If you want to spend more money, Fellowes has higher end units that heat faster and seal faster, but for my needs, this unit is great.
The box comes with 10 sheets of 9x11.5" 3 mil glossy laminating pouches and the laminator itself requires no assembly. After a 5 minute warm-up, I was laminating my first documents.

Recommended for small offices, families, home schoolers - anybody who needs quality lamination at an affordable price, but does not need to do high volume.

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't do a lot of laminating, but when I do, I prefer the Fellowes Saturn 2 125, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My headline wasn't hyperbole, or just me being cute. It's the truth. I DON'T do a lot of laminating. At least, not these days. However, when I do need to do some laminating I've found that the Fellowes Saturn 2 125 does a good job, and handles most of the jobs I'd need it to do, big or small.

The 12.5 inch size is great. It means I can use bigger sheets of paper if I need to, such as when I want to laminate a kid's construction paper masterpiece. But it also handles small documents like cards with ease. I had no problem feeding documents in and getting a quality laminated document out. I did get some bubbles on a couple things, but feeding through again took care of them. All in all, I was pleased with the operation.

The only negatives I've found are the weight (it's deceptively heavy for its size) and the time it takes to heat up. Sure, it's only five minutes, but when you only get the laminator out occasionally, waiting to have it heat up is a bit trying. Still, I understand that even the best ones are only a minute or two faster, so I accept that this is the limitation of this price point.

I give the Fellowes Saturn 2 125 Laminator a solid four stars, and I would recommend it for household or small office use. For a bigger office, you may want to bump up to one of the more expensive models, though.

Rate and Discover Movies