5.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 7 years - good for the money
Published on December 23, 2012 by Bunny

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for someone extremely patient!
I purchased this shredder at Target (which went under a different model number...T580C). However, the shredder I purchased looks exactly like the shredder pictured and has the same features.

Published on September 28, 2005 by Susan

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for someone extremely patient!, September 28, 2005
This review is from: Fellowes P450C-3/PS-62C Home Office Confetti-Cut Shredder (Office Product)

After setting up the shredder today, I have already had things get stuck 3 times. I wasn't even over-stuffing the shredder. If you have an insert from junk mail for instance, you HAVE to unfold it before shredding it...otherwise even that will get stuck (even though supposedly you can shred 6 sheets at once).

Also, emptying the basket is NOT a breeze. It takes considerable effort to remove the basket, and when you do, some clippings fall into where the basket was sitting causing further clean-up. My patience has truly been tested today. Unfortunately, I have to have a shredder, but this is so much hassle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, find an alternative, September 29, 2006
I agree with the other reviews.

The basket issue is a hassle. The design also means that if it's not snugged in, the kill switch activates and the shredder won't run -- this is a problem if you have loose confetti at the rear-inside of the unit.

After 1.5 - 2 years of *extremely* light use, the activator switch is now acting up and I am having a difficult time shredding *anything*.

My wife complained about the speed compared to the office shredder she's used to, but I have no comparison point and this unit may do more in terms of paper security than what she uses at work (i.e. crosscut).

If I didn't overload it and kept it lubricated, it did chew through stuff reasonably well. I did experience some jamming, but worked around it by using fewer sheets per feed session.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad design, weak motor, don't bother., February 3, 2007
Poor design. Every time you empty the drawer that catches the chad, you have to vacuum out the compartment. There is a switch that must engage or the unit will not work, and the chad builds up at the back of the drawer space.

Weak (1.5 amp) motor. The average piece of junk mail has at least 2 pages. Folded in thirds and including the 2 sides of the envelope, the thickness is at least 8. This puppy can't handle it, so you have to open the envelope, take out and separately shred the pieces. I just want to safely get rid of the junk mail, not have a relationship with it.

If you want to shred junk mail without opening and separating it, don't buy this turkey. Get one with at least a 2 amp motor and 9 sheet shredding capability.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly designed product, January 13, 2006
crazybrojohn (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the P450C-3 to replace a Fellowes T7CM which I gave to my wife. Where the T7CM was a breeze to empty (you just lift the shredder assembly off the top of the wire mesh basket), with the P450C-3 you have to struggle to pull the plastic container out horizontally. Unless you empty it when it's about half full, you'll end up spreading paper confetti all over the floor. I end up emptying the thing by unplugging the unit and carrying the whole thing to the trash, then opening it over the trash can. (One of these days I may just let the whole unit fall in with the confetti, and go buy a good one!)

As for jamming -- yet, it jams sometimes, particularly when half full or more, but other shredders I've had jam more often. It does seem to have a heavier duty cycle (i.e. you can shred more stuff before it overheats and takes a nap) and one time it shredded a push pin that accidentally fell into the slot, so it's pretty powerful. Nonetheless if I had to do it over, I wouldn't buy this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 7 years - good for the money, December 23, 2012
I am just getting rid of my Fellowes P450C-3 Shredder after at least 7 years of use. You can't do much better than that for a somewhat low price shredder. I enjoyed the automatic start, the manual reverse to solve jams. I would advise anyone to buy the P450C-3 if they want a shredder for medium home use. I just paid $100 for a new shredder and it doesn't have automatic start. I have to push an "on" swith each time I decided to shred something. However, it does microcut and has a lot larger bin.

Fellowes P450C-3/PS-62C Home Office Confetti-Cut Shredder