5.0 out of 5 stars Whisper quiet & ended my perpetual morning stuffy nose
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:01 Mins
Published on June 20, 2012 by Mr. Deeds

3.0 out of 5 stars PlasmaTRUE Ionizer Noise is Indeed Obnoxious
Published on December 1, 2012 by Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars Whisper quiet & ended my perpetual morning stuffy nose, June 20, 2012
This review is from: Fellowes Quiet Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter (AP-300PH) (Office Product)
Length:: 2:01 Mins

I've had this air purifier around four months and it's been in constant use in the bedroom. My video review explains more but in a nutshell, my perpetual morning stuffy nose was eliminated by this machine. I love it! Filters are easy to change (the carbon filter replacement light came on today after four months) and it is whisper quiet. Two thumbs way up for Fellowes Quiet Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stage Purification System, February 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This air purifier is excellent - I noticed a big difference in just a couple of hours. The fan has four speeds (Low, Medium, High, and Turbo). You can adjust the speed to reduce the noise. I set the fan on Low for an ultra-quiet, energy-efficient, operation during the night. Then increase the speed to Turbo to intensify the air purification during the day. However, the unit also has a sensor that monitors the air quality; the fan will auto-adjust to accommodate changes in air quality.

This unit is easy to setup and maintain. It was ready to go in 4 easy steps.
(1)Removed the front panel; (2) Removed the filter from the unit; (3) removed the packaging from the filter; (4) and reinsert it into the unit.

The unit wipes down well with a slightly damp cloth.

It requires 2 filters. It is recommended you change the HEPA filter every 12 months (or when the HEPA light Indicator is Red). It is recommended you Carbon Filter every 3 months (or when the Carbon Filter light Indicator is Red).
~Fellowes HF-300 True HEPA Filter, for use with Fellowes AP-300PH Air Purifier (9370101)
~Fellowes CF-300 Carbon Filter for the Fellowes AP-300PH Air Purifier (9372101)

According to the operation manual this unit has a four-Stage Purification system.
(1) Carbon Filter - it removes order and captures large airborne particulates.
(2) Sanitized - reduces the development of bacteria, fungi, and dust mite on the carbon filter.
(3) True HEPA filter - captures 99.97% of particles and impurities as small as 0.03 microns.
(4) PlamsaTrue Technology - removes airborne pollutants at the molecular level.

The unit is a floor model - Dimensions 13.8" (W) x 9.1" (D) x 18.5" (H). It weighs about 20 pounds.

3.0 out of 5 stars PlasmaTRUE Ionizer Noise is Indeed Obnoxious, December 1, 2012
Tim (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
I purchased this hoping the author of the featured critical review was just being super sensitive about the PlasmaTRUE ionizer noise since there weren't any others that mention the noise. He is spot on though. My unit was delivered today and I noticed it as soon as I turned it on. The noise it produces is very obnoxious and I also don't know how others aren't hearing the same thing. Perhaps it's a defect in only some units. My wife can barely notice it, but for me it's deal breaker. I called Fellowes support and the nice CSR seemed oblivious about reports of high-frequency noise coming from the ionizer. He said a "clicking noise" is normal, but wasn't sure about a high pitched whine. I described it as sounding like muted, but continuous cricket chirping. Phone support wasn't much help and I didn't feel like returning the unit, so I took things into my own hands.

The noise became so annoying to me that I disassembled the housing and started inspecting the components. At first I was thinking that the ionizer leads just needed a cleaning or something, but they looked fine (they're just two small prongs in the upper left housing of the unit). I ended up removing the plug from the control board that powers the "Plasma Doctor WHO-1300" which is what they apparently re-brand as "PlasmaTRUE". The plug is behind the HEPA FILTER LED in the power control housing. Here some quick directions for doing this:

1. Unplug the unit and remove the filter cover.
2. Remove the top two screws that hold on the display panel and set the panel aside. It will still be tethered by the display panel control cable.
3. Remove the two screws that hold the black power control housing.
4. Lift up the power control housing and take the tape off that holds the display panel control cable in place.
5. The housing can be opened by hand enough where you can get to the power plug for the PlasmaTRUE (follow the black wire that runs along the outside of the bottom of the housing).
6. Using a pair of needle-nose pliers, disengage the securing latch and gently pull upwards.
7. Tuck the plug under the housing and reassemble.

The unit works fine with the PlasmaTRUE powered down. The PlasmaTRUE indicator on the display still functions and it appears it is just for show. I am a huge fan of everything else about this product. The HEPA filtering is outstanding, the air quality sensor/auto control is legit, and the fan noise is barely audible when it is on low. I can deal with not having ionization if it means truly quiet operation.

If it were $30 cheaper or if I could disable the PlasmaTRUE without taking the unit apart I would give it 4/5 stars (5/5 stars if it were quiet). As it stands now I give it 3/5 for having to spend 5 minutes to disengage the ionizer and not being able to have the feature without the noise driving me crazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellowes Quiet Air Purifier, March 13, 2012
C. A. Boswell (South San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my new favorite gadget in my home. I was actually concerned that this would be too quiet, but it turned out to be the perfect amount of 'white noise' to lull me to sleep. Just to put it into perspective, though, this unit is much larger than my old Honeywell air purifier yet much less noisy. I would say that the Honeywell was more vibrational noise, and annoying enough to make it difficult to hear the TV, whereas the Fellowes is barely noticeable but enough to block out distracting noises that keep me from sleeping (like my neighbors in the apartment next door).

The air quality in my room has been great since the machine has been running. Pollen has been crazy high lately, but I have not had any problems to speak of. As for cleaning/changing the filter, it is too early for me to comment on this since I haven't had it that long.

I will now try very hard to think of something negative (which, there isn't much at all). For some reason, my cat likes to jump on top of the unit. Sometimes, when he jumps off of the unit, I noticed that the unit tends to 'fall forward' because of the way the weight is distributed. It probably wouldn't hurt the machine, since the air comes out the top in such a way that the air flow wouldn't be blocked. Still, the unit probably could have been engineered in such a way that it was more balanced and less likely to tip over.

In summary, if you are looking for a high-end air purifier to improve your air quality, then look no further.

UPDATE (6/2/12): It has been about 3 months since I started using the product, and the red light has come on to tell me that it is now time to change the charcoal filter -- the one that is supposed to filter larger dust particles. This is consistent with what the manual recommends, and the replacement filter is available through Amazon and seems to be at a reasonable price, so I think that it will be worth the cost and effort. Something tells me, though, that the unit doesn't really detect that the filter is dirty. I suspect that there is simply a timer that signals when the unit has been running for three months!

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, March 9, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Right out of the box, I was impressed with the look of this Fellows air purifier. It's fairly light, but somewhat large (about 18" H x 13" W x 8" L), and very easy to install. You simply pop off front piece, remove the wrapping from the filters, replace the front piece, plug it in, and turn it on. The tough part, as has been mentioned by others, is finding a place two feet from any walls to keep the unit (though, frankly, I ended up ignoring this suggestion after awhile with no ill effect).

The purifier has two settings, manual and auto. In manual mode, you simply adjust the fan speed to whatever setting you like: low, medium, high, or turbo. The auto setting adjusts the fan speed depending on the air quality (as indicated by a meter on the left side of the display). In my experience, the auto mode almost always leaves the fan on the lowest setting, but once in awhile, especially if I move the unit to a new room, it will detect a lower air quality and kick up the fan speed.

The overall quality of the unit is very good. It comes with a HEPA and a carbon filter, so it should remove quite a lot of junk out of the air, though I haven't noticed any buildup on the filters (paticles too small to see, maybe?). It's also a fairly quiet unit when the fan is set to low. Anything higher than that, however, is definitely audible, and the turbo setting is relatively loud - though I should note that this is just the fan noise, which certainly isn't an intrusive sound. Still, overall I'm impressed with this unit.

UPDATE - June 2012:

I've been using this air purifier on the "automatic" setting continuously over the past few months, and I'm still happy with it. About a week ago the "carbon filter" light went on, indicating that it needed to be replaced. Upon removal I noticed that the face of the filter was full of small dust particles. I hadn't noticed any big clumps of dust or hair, but this unit is certainly removing junk from the air. The HEPA indicator still shows it's in good condition.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would you sacrifice your health to get clean air?, October 5, 2014
Worrisome... When you receive the product, you will get a little paper inside the filter bag that states the following:

"Fellowes Carbon Filters contain built in biocidal products for the protection against the growth of bacteria which cause mould, odor and product deterioration. The treated article contains the following biocide: Zinc 2-pyridinethiol-1-oxide."

Zinc 2-pyridinethiol-1-oxide has a high acute toxicity and is listed as a developmental and reproductive disruptor. It is listed on Pesticide Action Network's Bad Actor list for the most toxic pesticides in use today.

Frankly, I find it ironic that an air cleaner would contain a toxic biocide, and I would love to receive some assurances that adequate testing has been done to demonstrate that the biocide does not volatilize during operation, over the usable lifetime of the filter.

One final note: when I opened the product, which had been sealed in a plastic bag, chemical odors immediately escaped. They persisted during the first few hours of operation. After that, I probably just got used to smelling them. As a manufacturing engineer and product designer, but also as a human, I find it ironic that I should have to smell low molecular weight residual solvents in a product that is supposed to make my air cleaner.

3.0 out of 5 stars PlasmaTRUE is terribly loud and impossible to disable, August 13, 2012
I bought this purifier for my bedroom to replace a purifier I thought was too loud. But this purifier is incredibly loud but not due to the fan--it's due to the high pitched noises the PlasmaTRUE ionizer makes. Even on the high fan speed I can hear the PlasmaTRUE which means that to me it is essentially louder than the fan on any setting and so "low" mode is unbearably loud to me. It sounds like a quiet dentist drill to get an idea of the frequency. I'm not young enough to be able to hear the super high pitched text tones so I don't know why I'm the first to complain about this. To top it off, PlasmaTRUE is impossible to disable. So this purifier was not able to stay in the bedroom. I'm still debating on whether to return it.

If you want more detail about PlasmaTRUE, I found this info in a pdf online:

"o What is PlasmaTRUETM Technology?

PlasmaTRUETM Technology creates electrical discharges that neutralize the smallest and most harmful impurities and pollutants at the molecular level.

o How do I know if the PlasmaTRUETM Technology is working?
The "+" and "-" signs contained in the blinking bubbles on your Indicator Screen indicate that the PlasmaTRUETM Technology is active. There is no way for the human eye to see the effect of PlasmaTRUETM.

o Is PlasmaTRUETM Technology harmful?

No PlasmaTRUETM Technology is safe and has been tested and validated per the latest regulation to show that it does not generate Ozone, as opposed to some competitors' products

o Can I deactivate PlasmaTRUETM?
No, PlasmaTRUETM is always on.

o What is the difference between an ionizer and PlasmaTRUETM Technology?
There is no difference between an ionizer and PlasmaTRUETM Technology. Some ionizers produce Ozone that can be harmful to your health; however; PlasmaTRUETM Technology has been tested and validated per the latest regulation to show that it does not generate Ozone."

5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH BETTER THAN I HOPED FOR!!!!, October 1, 2012
I purchased my Fellowes Quiet Air Purifier with True HEPA filter AP- 300PH about 4 weeks ago, and have been running it on the High setting 24/7 ever since. The first day I got it I ran it on the Turbo setting for about 3 hours to clean out my family room. It did a fantastic job! It is a little noisy on turbo, but DON'T let that stop you from purchasing it, because you hardly ever need to run it on Turbo!!! When it is on the High setting it sounds like a soft fan...Very Quiet!.....Most the time I don't even realize it is on, and I don't have to have the TV any louder either.
My indoor allergies have been SO much better since I purchased the AP- 300PH. Actually I have stopped having to use my NasalChrome nasal allergy spray, which I used to use several times a day. I have also stopped having to use an allergy mask, which I was having to use daily.
When I say I am thrilled with my purchase, I truly mean it!! I couldn't be happier. I had a smaller, much noisier unit before this one, and didn't run it much because it was so loud, even on low and it was supposed to be a quiet model....haha. So I returned it and got this unit.
Do yourselves a favor and buy this Air Purifier, you won't be sorry!! An added bonus for me was the fact that nice clean air comes out the top of the unit like a gentle fan blowing fresh air.
I think this is the second review I have ever written, and I just can't say enough good things about it!
It's easy to move around, easy to open up to get to the pre-carbon filter and True HEPA filter when it's time to replace them. Taking a look at mine, it doesn't look like I will need to replace mine any time soon. Oh, by the way, my house is Extremely dusty and I have 3 dogs who shed a lot, so the AP- 300PH has a lot of allergens to deal with.
Ok.....I think I have said my piece. Go buy your own ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for allergy sufferers, August 31, 2013
This is a one year later review.

Lets face it; we've all purchased air purifiers expecting to get six months to a year before they begin screaming like a Russian missile launch.

One year later of running on high, both of my units are quiet as day one. I've changed the carbon filters twice and the hepa filters once.

Living in Texas with allergies can be a personal hell. Also having an indoor beagle only fuels the problem. This filter is absolutely wonderful. No pet dander, no pollen, and no dust on the wood floors.

I highly recommend this brand to all my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., November 4, 2012
MMN (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
I live in a small condo building with an elevator opening directly onto my apartment. Oftentimes, smells from other apartments (cigarette and other smokes, cooking odors) will come into my apartment through the elevator shaft. I was looking for something to minimize these odors. My living/kitchen area is far larger than the 300SF that this air purifier is supposed to cover (it's about 600SF), but I decided to try this anyway. I plugged this in at the end of the apartment closest to the elevator door (in my kitchen area). I've been using this for only a few days, but have already noticed that the air quality in the living area of my apartment is improved. Not once have I smelled cigarette smoke (which I am allergic to) from neighbors in my building. The most noticeable different is in the morning when I wake up. The entire living area smells "fresh," and not "stale" like it usually does. I also like the fact that this can be set to Auto and I see the led display indicate when the air quality goes down and adjust the fan speed.