1,045 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it's not worth being stingy; use the proper oil
Update April 05 2013

It's been over 4 years since I wrote this review, and I'm still getting comment updates on it! I think a little follow up is in order.

Published on November 30, 2008 by Tri Cao Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars Sales Insurer
Published on October 29, 2009 by Inspector

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it's not worth being stingy; use the proper oil, November 30, 2008
Tri Cao Nguyen (South El Monte, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fellowes Shredder Oil, 12 oz. Bottle with Extension Nozzle (35250) (Office Product)
Update April 05 2013

I would highly suggest everyone read through the comments after they read the review. They contain a lot of useful information from smarter people than me with similar experiences. They'll fill in any potential questions you may have (or should have) after.

I also want to state that the review and comments afterward should never come off as "better than thou" or "know it all". (Although some user comments feel that way). Ultimately we're all trying to help out in the spirit of the review system here on Amazon.

Thanks for all the up-votes over the years. Happy shredding!

--- Original Review ----

This is a just a quick review to let you know about Fellowes (and other shredder branded oils) versus your standard kitchen vegetable oil.

Remember that vegetable oils go rancid quickly; they're meant for eating and not industrial lubrication on a regular basis. The use vegetable oil trick is actually intended for people who use their shredders OFTEN, not OCCASIONALLY. I have a giant bottle of canola oil at the office for the big shredder, I use the branded oil at home. The amount of shredding most offices do is enough to warrant using vegetable oil since more than likely by the end of of a typical maintenance cycle, the oil is long gone from the blades and feeding mechanism.

Do not use olive oil, corn oil, cottonseed, peanut, palm, or ANY vegetable oil with an odor. Unless you want your shredder smelling like food, stay away from any vegetable oil with a distinct odor. Canola oil is the best substitute for branded oil. Also look for lower grade canola cooking oil, the ones you often find in thrift stores or 99 cent stores. It should look more "watery" than viscous.

If you think Fellowes is taking you for a ride in selling shredder oil, think again. It's like someone mixing food coloring and water to make "ink" for their printer. Sure the price is way more than it should be, but that also doesn't make the home alternative absolutely correct all the time. Use the Fellowes oil if you shred papers ocasionally and pretty much find yourself oiling once in two weeks. One 12 ounce bottle should last you QUITE a long time. If you're in a heavy office or shredding daily, then go for the canola oil alternative. The last thing you want is to have sticky, smelly blades that have rancid vegetable oils on them.

Fellowes oil has no odor and is quite "watery". If I could buy this stuff cheap in the gallons, I would for all my shredders. Vegetable oils have the caveats I mentioned above, but they DO work if you're in a pinch or trying to save some money.

As a side note, always use shredder bags when possible. They save you from dealing with the "dust" that shredders create. And yes, you can use generic 4-11 gallon trash bags instead of "shredder" bags! That's ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Protection for Your Shredder Investment, July 21, 2007
We only buy Fellowes shredders and have found them very reliable. I originally purchased the oil for the cutters directly from Fellowes a couple of years ago; the bottle was smaller and more expensive at the time. I was quite pleased to find this product available from Amazon at a good price and larger bottle.

I think a lot of people buy a shredder, not knowing that it does need some maintenance to keep it in top shape. Besides not overloading your shredder's capabilities or shredding material that you shouldn't, the next best thing you can do to protect your investment is to regularly lubricate the cutters. This reduces wear, noise, and can prevent the teeth from breaking.

Be sure to read the instructions for your particular shredder, however, about the type of oil to use and the frequency. You may be tempted to use other types of oil you already have around your house or WD-40 or something, but many of those things are flammable and will only serve to damage your shredder or worse.

As another reviewer said, be careful when cutting the tip on the bottle because if you make it too big, the oil will be harder to control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, August 5, 2007
I have a Staples 15-sheet shredder for which I purchased the Fellowes lubricant oil. After a single thorough application, the shredder gradually returned to its optimum performance. I used the generic office store brand oil before, and it seems that Fellowes lubricant delivers a difference you can hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY TO USE & OVER OILING PROBLEM FIXED, February 2, 2010
Lochness Monster (SAINT PETERSBURG, FL, US) - See all my reviews
I have read all the reviews & yes. I contacted Fellows & Royal they said you could use in a pinch regular vegetable cooking oil, but the main difference is there oil is much more refined & does not in any way smell like vegetable oil. So I decided to buy & see for my self. I did a side by side comparison. The cooking oil is much more brighter,heavier & has a distinctive smell. The Fellows is a much lighter oil. The Vegetable oil will go rancid & you'll start to smell it in time, many people have complained that when oiling the oil come out to fast..Here's the fix don't use a pair of scissors or a utility knife to cut the tip of the cap. Just use either a baby pin or a thumb tack to pierce the tip of the cap & then you can have control of how much oil you need to use. I used a med size baby pin & it's working great for me. FYI: If you have a Office Depot where you live. There own brand of oil is a refined soybean based. For $5.00 for a 4oz bottle the Fellows is a better buy. Not to mention the Engineer at Fellows said that poring oil on a sheet of paper is not enough lubrication & neither are the pre-soaked sheets you can buy. You need to run the machine in reverse as your poring for 10 seconds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enhanced Performance!, August 10, 2007
Garvey J. Dyer (Bethesda, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
I spoke with Fellowes, they say it's OK to use regular cooking vegetable oil (canola, etc.) in their machines, but only temporarily, not in the long run, because regular vegetable oil may become sticky and start smelling rancid. I'll stick with the dedicated oil and give it just 4 stars since there exists an alternative. I will, however, give Fellowes 5 stars for their candor. Also, as others have pointed out, be careful not to cut too big a chunk of the dispenser nozzle's tip, so you won't waste oil when oiling your machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sales Insurer, October 29, 2009
I bought a Fellows shredder a few years back and have returned to buy another. The reason is because of the Fellows oil. The shredder was great but the oil gums up over time eventually ruining the unit. It will take 5 or 6 years but the oil will kill the shredder for sure! So I intend, with the new shredder, to obtain some non-gumming lube at the hardware store. Not going to make the same mistake. No star!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for your shredder, here's why...!, April 29, 2009
I have owned several Fellowes shredders over the years. The old ones used to be lubricated with light machine oil, petroleum-based. But the newer ones have nylon and plastic gears/parts that petroleum-based oils damage and cause to disintegrate, ruining your shredder. Mineral oil, 3-in-1 oil, etc. are petroleum-based and SHOULD NOT be used in Fellowes shredders anymore. Regular vegetable oil can be used, I have, BUT eventually, it will forever leave a rancid smell in and around your shredder, which will only get worse with time. This Fellowes oil is supposed to be more refined, with preservatives, according to Fellowes, thus no smell. I have used it, exclusively, on our newest shredder and while, I too, find the price objectionable and the bottle somewhat leaky and messy to use, I will continue to use it. With weekly use, the bottle has lasted almost a year and our shredder is running like new. A small price to pay compared to the ever-rising price of a new shredder! Hope you find this helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lubrication of Paper Shredders, May 16, 2011
Marvin M (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This is to clarify lubrication of paper shredder cutting heads. The posting by Tri Cao Nguyen is also good.

While Fellowes Shredder Oil is a vegetable oil, it will not oxidize and turn gummy as quickly as most cooking oils. Pay attention to your bottles of cooking oil next time you take the caps off. The threads around some bottles will have a sticky, gummy residue. Different oils will oxidize to gum at different rates, and the Fellowes oil has been selected to have a slow oxidation rate. (No I don't work for them, but am a materials engineer.) Doing a little online research even revealed that certain strains of soybeans yield more stable oils than others.

Since vegetable oils will eventually oxidize and get gummy (and smelly), it is important to understand the residence time the oil is likely to have inside the machine. A machine that is used a lot and gets oiled frequently will have a short residence time for the oil. The oil will be wicked out into the paper frequently, and so will have less opportunity to turn gummy. That's why you can get away with using cooking oil there. An infrequently used machine, however, will be much more likely to give the oil a chance to oxidize and turn to gum. For those applications you would be wise to use a higher quality oil. Even with that, the oil should still be refreshed on a regular basis.

Also regarding gummy cutter heads, one should avoid/forbid feeding paper with gummed adhesives into the machine. (Tapes, adhesive envelope labels, stamps, etc.) The adhesive will be smeared onto the cutters and 'gum up' the works. Experiment by 'shredding' some of the culled items with scissors and you'll likely be able to feel the scissors getting gummed up. Gummy cutters rob the power available to shred your documents.

Modern machines use plastics in the cutter heads, which can be damaged by using mineral (petroleum) based oils. The plastics may get brittle and crack.

OIL APPLICATION NOTE: I prefer to apply oil accurately to the cutters. To do so, I unplug the machine (IMPORTANT!), and turn it upside down whenever I empty the bin. That way, I can put a drop of oil accurately on each cutter. Yes, it's meticulous, takes extra strength and care, and uses up a few minutes, but then I'm picky about taking care of my investment. It's also the only way I know I'm using the oil to best effect.

OPENING THE BOTTLE: Use a needle or pin to safely poke a hole in the end. DO NOT CLIP the end of the nozzle off with scissors, knife, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars its just canola oil folks!, November 4, 2012
I was about to buy this for my Fellowes Powershred W-11C 11 Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder I bought here on amazon but did some searching since I've had my other cheapo Walmart shredder for 5 years and just use olive oil on it. I found the MSDS for this and the only listed chemical is more than 99% canola oil!!!! So buyer beware, you can either spend $7 for 12 oz of canola oil or spend 98 cents on 32 oz of the stuff at any grocery store. I soak a piece of paper with it, run it through the machine before shredding and at every basket full. Like I said, I've had my $20 Walmart shredder for 5 years and this has been my method, I plan on doing this with my way more expensive Fellowes cross cut shredder.

1.0 out of 5 stars it's 99% canola oil..., February 24, 2013
It is just vegetable oil.... it's better to use a light sewing machine or light gun oil, like Hoppe's Lubricating Oil.

[...]