Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 1, 2002
This is my first experience of Le Orme, and I'm impressed. Though often compared to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, this band bears relatively little musical resemblance to the British supergroup, at least on this 1973 release. There is a drummer, a keyboardist who plays organ, piano, Moog (?) and string synths, and a bassist/guitarist who also is the singer, so in that sense, the two groups are similar. However, Le Orme is far and away much more melodic than ELP.
The first track is the most energetic, and at 8:43 is also the longest. The drummer gets a good workout, and as the instrumentation here is tastefully sparse, he can be heard very distinctly. The singer has a very mellow and pleasant voice that would be hard not to like. The tracks all flow together well, though one could argue that the overall pace slackens a bit too much towards the middle. Still, there's little to dislike here. Simple but tasteful production values put everything in its place.
Silly observation: track 8 (All'Infuori Del Tempo) has a dominant riff/melody line that sounds nearly identical to John Williams' Star Wars main theme... five years before the movie!
My only complaint is that this is too short - only 33 or so minutes. When I hear this kind of melodic progressive rock, I wish it would go on and on.
Felona E Sorona is highly recommended to anyone who likes melodic rock, and especially those who enjoy symphonic progressive rock. You can't go wrong with this one.
on September 14, 2006
If you don't speak Italian don't let that put you off, this is one hell of a great classic-era Prog masterpiece. The whole 33 minutes flow by like a symphony. Le Orme does here what they do best...write inspired melodies and dress them up in interesting arrangements, rather than going for the virtuoso technicality of other Proggers.

This one holds up extremely well to repeated listening and the keyboards are fantastic, so are the vocals and drums. But oh those Keys!!!

Highly recommended for fans of Prog's classic era.
on July 18, 2003
Just received the CD - I'm now listening to this album for the first time in . . . . oh . . . probably fifteen years and it's still amazingly enjoyable. Actually, my original vinyl LP was the english language variant with lyrics by Peter Hammill (is that version available anywhere?). And while I was a huge Hammill and VDGG fan I found the lyrics very clumsy and a detriment to the music. Hearing the original version now (even though I don't speak Italian)I realize what a good prog album this was. Moody and melodic, it reminds me more of the "Nursery Chryme / Foxtrot" era Genesis if I had to compare to any other prog cornerstone. Well worth picking up.
on September 21, 2001
The first Le Orme album I got was Ad Gloriam (1969). That one is basically psychedelic pop (it's pretty fair to say that this was the From Genesis to Revelation of Le Orme, although Ad Gloriam was a better album than the aforementioned Genesis album). The next album I got was Felona e Sorona and I was totally amazed how different this album sounds (for the better). This album is nothing short of a prog rock masterpiece. Often gets compared to ELP, which I can't see why, as they don't remind me much of that band (except the occasional passage). If you're expecting this to sound like ELP, you're better off trying Triumvirat's Illusions on a Double Dimple, or L'Uovo di Colombo's self-entitled 1973 release (which really deserves to be called the Italian ELP). Felona e Sorona is apparently a concept album about two planets that are the complete opposite of each other, but since its all in Italian, I can't be exactly sure what it is all about. All the music flows real nicely into each other, often segued with string synths (people often state Mellotron is used on this album, but I don't notice any). There's two acoustic numbers, while the rest is wonderful keyboard-driven prog. The opener, "Sospesi Nell'Incredibile" is nothing short of amazing, I particularly love those synths near the end with the insane drumming at the end. "Sorona" is a gloomy, atmospheric number that oddly reminds me of how Pulsar (circa Halloween) might have sounded like if they were Italian. Whatever the case, if this album isn't in your collection and you like Italian prog, you need to buy this album without hesitation. It really does live up to the hype.
on February 13, 2003
There is a passage towards the end of the first piece where the band is doing an impromptu jam and the Moog is going off with these trippy sounds with the drums keeping a marching beat. Everytime I hear this part I feel like I'm about to have an out of body exprience--it's that good!
Le Orme is like ELP but is not bombastic and less technical. But they make up for it by having a unique style of their own, whereas with ELP you never get the feeling that they really have a style, but rather a bundle of different styles. Because of this I think some like Le Orme better. And the moods of the typical Le Orme recording is quite melancholic(is that a word?), giving a more sophisticated feel.
I laugh when other fans call works like this dated...as if it's something bad. I mean just listen to a TOOL album next year and tell me it's not the lamest thing you've ever heard. Then listen to it in 30 years--you won't stop laughing. Le Orme on the other hand has aged very well, they've done nothing they to be ashamed of, compared to what some of the things ELP or Banco have done.
on April 2, 2012
Back in about 1972, a mate introduced me to Italian Prog, through Felona e Sorona. (We didn't call it Prog then, though). I was entranced,and intrigued that people other than the Poms were producing such great music, only to be hidden from the world. I found, in a tiny shop in my home city, this and Uomo di Pezza soon afterwards. So different. Later, I was tempted to buy the English language version, but as an impecunious student, thought better of it. Forty years later, that decision was vindicated. What induced them to get Peter Hammill to write some unrelated gobbledigook, and append it to the instrumentals? Heavens to Betsy...Anglophones have listened to non English vocals for centuries. This offering contains both versions.

The original Felona e Sorona is mostly a sublime dip into what Italian Prog could produce at its best. This dusting off is excellent, and sounds much as I recall it. Crisp production, good sonic balance, and ambience, and the work itself all fits together.

Le Orme were keyboard and percussion based, though the small guitar parts are perfectly competent. However, unlike ELP and other Keys based Prog outfits, the keys don't overwhelm to the point of distraction. I don't care that Keith E played with the Hammond lying on him...it so often ceased to be musical! I had had an Italian mate translate the lyrics, but he found them somewhat arcane. I prefer the metaphysical to the Hammill inanities. Especially as so often their struggle with English interrupted the flow of the vocals.
The music here is at once seductive, beckoning, contemplative at times and rollicks along at others, but always the music had a legitimate reason to be.
The English, Felona and Sorona, is just daft. Similar comments can be directed at other misguided meldings of English Language lyrics with Italian prog instrumentals.
I found it distracting enough.

So...the Italian language original is a must have for Proggers, but the English version is a historical curiosity only.
on June 13, 2014
This is a great album, and one I first heard more than 30 years ago for the first time (in Italian). At that time I also heard this almost-urban-legend about the existence of an English version of the album. This is one of my favorite albums ever and I knew that some day I would find that English version. Well, the time came and while I am still happy that I finnally found it, I am a little bit dissapointed about the music itself sang in English and the quality of sound. To explain myself better: it is as if Aldo Tagliapietra is so focused in his pronunciation in English that he forgets the emotion behind the music that it is clearly reflected when he sings in Italian. It is more than obvious that English is not his native language (the lyrics are not great either). The quality of sound is very different between the Italian and the English version, it seems that (as some other reviewer explained) it was made from a vinyl copy rather than from the original tapes and you can tell the difference.

However, this is more of a collector's item, the original Italian album is so wonderful and timeless that I would be dishonoring it by rating less than 4 starts. If you are new to Le Orme, you probably do not need to buy this more expensive version, stick with the Italian version and you will not regret it (ever), this is great music by all standards.
on January 3, 1999
The real title of this LP is Felona e Sorona. An outstanding concept album based on a Science-fiction story (Felona and Sorona are two totally different planets around the same star). Great vocals by Aldo Tagliapietra, effective keyboards and solid-state drumming make this LP one of the best recorded by this trio. A weird and fascinating mix of the Italian vocal tradition and progressive rock.
VINE VOICEon March 17, 2003
Another brilliant recording from Le Orme, "Felona e Serona" is a 33-minute long concept album that is comprised of a series of shorter songs pasted together with brief instumental interludes, rather than a continuous piece of music. In spite of the fact that "Felona e Serona" is generally very somber (thanks to a Roland string synthesiser) and somewhat melodramatic (thanks to the mellotron), the songs are always highly melodic (thanks to the mini-moog). The musicianship on this recording is excellent, and although the emphasis is on intricate ensemble playing, the keyboard work must be singled out for exceptionally high praise. In addition, the vocalist is just wonderful and extremely emotive, perhaps even on a level with Jon Anderson in this respect. Interestingly, the impact of the vocals come across despite being in Italian. Highly recommended.
on January 2, 2013
Le Orme - Felona E Sorona 2 CD (English & Italian)

Felona e Sonora was the third album by Italy's Le Orme and a progressive rock masterpiece. Based on the concept of 2 planets orbiting in the same cosmos with very much contrasting personalities. Felona is the "Happy planet" while Sorona is the dark moody forboding planet .

This 2011 remaster package is a great way to re-enjoy or enjoy this magnum opus with the original Italian sung version and for the first time the English version. I would stick with the original of course as the results are similar to other bands who tried this...RDM did it with Contamination.....Banco did it with Banco......PFM did it too with Photos of Ghosts. Although the English version is interesting the Italian sung version is better. The English version is ripped from vinyl as I guess the English master tapes were lost, but the original version sounds wonderful. Some nice photos and detailed liner notes in a small digipack fold out replica of the vinyl album.
Musically Felona is beautiful from start to finish with a ton of great guitar, bass, drums and a ton of vintage keyboards. Felona is 70's space prog with great melodies and songs all contained within a concept album format with epic musical imagery. Each song builds on the story and each songs is carefully pieced together.
If you dont know Le Orme then this is a GREAT place to start.......