4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, quick projects, most patterns full sized.
Published on March 16, 2011 by Ken and Bethany

3.0 out of 5 stars Really cute, but not all that practical
I really love making things out of felt (and Kawaii culture), so I was very excited about getting this book! However, I found this book to be confusing.

Published on November 3, 2011 by Stop for the One

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, quick projects, most patterns full sized., March 16, 2011
This book contains a good number of projects--86 is stretching it a bit, since many of them are multiple uses of the same pattern (ie: Change the only ears and facial embroidery, and a cat becomes a bear, or change the applique and one bag pattern becomes three separate projects). However, I don't have any problems with that, as paying close attention allows you to learn how to tweak a pattern or design yourself.
So far, I've stitched the deer (what I really bought this book for! I have desperately wanted a pattern for those darling kawaii fawns I've been seeing all over etsy and blogs!!) which came out better than the solo pattern I spent almost as much on, the small kitty at the beginning of the book, and used fleece instead of felt to make those cute little bags for my daughters. All patterns came out very nicely with little to no adaptation.
A good number of the patterns are on the inside of the dust jacket, and although they overlap quite a lot, I found them very simple to trace and transfer to cardstock. There were only a few that weren't full sized; mainly the patterns for the bags (which I figured out easily enough without running to a photocopier), and the appliques for the larger bags (which I would need a photocopier for if I chose to do them). Everything else is already full size, unless you want to make a bigger version.
I have moderate experience in reading and sewing to patterns, and already know all the basic stitches of hand sewing. That said, I think the patterns in the book could easily be understood by a beginning, though a bit of experience will certainly go a long way to helping you understand it. That could be said of any book though, could it not? XD
One nice thing to be said for this book is that every item that she shows you in the gallery has a pattern and instructions given--even the appliques, eyes, etc., are given in the pattern section, the only exceptions that I could find being the little mushroom and the trees in the background on the cover. Both of which would be easy enough to figure out given the techniques explained in the book.
All in all, I'm very pleased with this book--I really can see myself making most of the items in it--just be prepared for all the items to be basically like what is shown on the cover! The patterns for felt flowers to be made from scraps are intriguing--I bought this book early spring and I can certainly see many of my friends getting pretty little felt flower displays as hostess gifts over the next little while! I like giving seasonal handmade stuff, since the recipient doesn't feel the need to keep it on display forever! LOL
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a whole host of little felties and sock creatures to make--the hazards of ordering a good number of craft books in one go! XD

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Felt pattern books~Bar NONE!, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Felt Friends from Japan: 86 Super-cute Toys and Accessories to Make Yourself (Paperback)
This book is amazing! The patterns turn out fantastic projects EVERY TIME! Yes, there are overlaps on the patterns ( so you might have to make more than one copy ~ OR , you can just trace the outlines of the ones you want ~ easy peasy!)but in my mind this is not a detriment at all. The author was able to impart many adorable patterns AND save trees at the same time ~ hey folks, that's a win-win! ;-D Truly, however, it was no problem at all simply make copies & trace. I bought this book as a way for my kids to learn about using patterns & successfully completing items that would inspire them to sew & create. This book did exactly that, and inspired me to make them as well! Every single object in the book is adorable, easy, fun, well-instructed, & just cute beyond all. The toys have a certain innocence about them reminiscent of a kinder, gentler era ~ 50's-60's ~. You would never feel awkward presenting any item in here to any child~ they are sweet & innocent.

You will all be happy to know that Naomi Tabatha has produced at least 2 more books of adorable felt dolls, toys & accessories as well! I found mine on ebay, when I entered her name in the search bar.

A word about the patterns~ they are dynamic, eye-popping, 3D, with lots of character ~ And her patterns are always correct. I never have to wonder if the time spent on the item will be a waste due to a wonky, ill-thought pattern ~ this simply does NOT happen with Naomi Tabatha's toys ~ I do reccomend stuffing very small amounts of fluff into every tiny nook & cranny, however~ use a chopstick or the blunt end of a bamboo skewer, and stuff fluff in small amounts, till the toy is packed HARD ~ this will bring out the very most character & dimension in these toys. If you can cut a shape, stitch a small seam, & patiently cram stuffing, you can make these.

ps~ here's a hint to make these awesome toys go faster, so that you can make more ~ simply set your sewing machine on your widest zigzag ( mine is #4), make certain your felt edges are exactly in the center of your machine foot, & stitch slowly. For curves, stitch slowly, lifting & re-adjusting to match the curves to center of the machine foot. And do be certain to make at least 2 backward stitches to lock the seams at the beginning & end of every seam. At first, you might be dissapointed in how the zigzag looks, but if you stuff in small amounts, using a stick, & stuff firmly, the action of stuffing will draw apart the stitches, & help them look like tiny, perfect handstitched seams. Try it with darker felt colors & thread to begin with, then once you have gotten the idea down, try out some of the lighter colors with matching threads. We have had great success in making these this way, I can finish the larger toys in just an hour or 2! I hope this little hint helps someone out there. ;-D
pss~ I have also included some photos of our finished objects in the customer images link. I hope this helps you to see just how fantastic, easy, & adorable this book truly is!

3.0 out of 5 stars Really cute, but not all that practical, November 3, 2011

The "patterns" are on the inside of the dust jacket and they all overlap so much that it's impossible to tell what is what. Also, the patterns are WAY too small. You'd have to figure out which pattern piece you need, then find it on the jumble of overlapping patterns and then enlarge it to make a decent sized animal or doll.

I like the work and style that the author used on these felt friends! Clearly the author is a talented person. However, the book is not a practical guide at all!! So, if you decide to go ahead and buy this book, just enjoy the pictures and ideas but don't expect that you'll be able to easily re-create the friends because I really did try myself. I made the bunny rabbit--I did my best (and I actually do have pretty good sewing skills), but it absolutely did not turn out like the one pictured in the book. I blame the poor result on the lack of clear patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Cover, Helpful Inside, October 22, 2013
It sounded good and looked good from here. When I received it, I wasn't expecting as much instruction and thought it would just be a book of pictures. It's easier than an intermediate origami instruction book. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute dolls, January 16, 2013
This book has some very cute little animals and dolls to sew in it. I think it would be a good second sewing book for a beginner sewer - thinking of kids now, but actually that would be true of adults also. The dolls have more dimension than some of the simpler books, and once you start adding gussets and underbodies, it would be a good thing to know how these things work. With some background, I think you could make some very cute toys and older children might be able to tackle some of the dolls after getting a bit of sewing under their belts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cute!, January 12, 2013
The book and patterns are very adorable. My only dislike is that I wish the patterns were removable or larger so that I could print them or re-size them better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, October 9, 2012
Felt Friends from Japan by Naomi Tabatha is one of the cutest project books I own. I normally don't like sewing things by hand and when my book came in the mail, I was dismayed to find out that all of the projects must be done by hand. Heh Heh to be honest my hand sewing skills are terrible! However the surprising thing is I REALLY like making these animals in the book. They are not really hard to make as I thought. The instructions are illustrated and very easy to follow, basically if you know how to do a basic whip stitch you're good to go. Just make sure you have a variety of felt and embroidery floss in pretty colors. :) Also The pattern pieces are on the back of the dust jacket so you're going to need transparent paper to make it easier to trace them. The animals are small (think beanie baby scale) but you can always enlarge them to make them bigger. All in all this is a great book you'll want to make the same animal again and again. My two favorites are the deer (on the cover) and the little sausage dog. So adorable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable projects!, July 29, 2011
I love this book. I've made a few items from the book for my nieces and nephews. They love their felt animals. My nieces helped me with making the knotted tote bag projects and they use their felt totes to take to the library when they check out books. The projects are too cute. I like how the directions are given, although sometimes I wished that there was a little more of an explanation of certain steps in the directions. It's nice how all of the pattern pieces are shown along with the directions so you can make sure that you have all of the pattern pieces ready to stitch for your project. I also like how all of the projects are shown completed in full color in the book. It's a fun and colorful book. I'm planning on making some more pieces to give as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many nice and cute patterns., June 10, 2014
Theese patterns are great for childrens gift. I have four so I must start soon to give them Christmas presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable., December 8, 2013
Randi Cramer (West Mansfield, OH) - See all my reviews
So cute it hurts. You don't have to sew to enjoy this book... it is worth it even if you only plan to look at the pictures :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›