5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Guide to Refinding the True You
Female Brain Gone Insane

What a great book. I learned so much about myself.

I have been off HRT for 5 yrs because of breast cancer. Each year more problems arise. Recently I have developed high anxiety, brain fog, memory loss & disliking being around people (I use to be an extrovert.)

Mia Lundin's book has defined my path for the...
Published on November 12, 2009 by Back to the Real Me

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle book!
The Kindle version of this book is awful! There is no Table of Contents or chapter links and of course the Kindle page numbers do not match the actual page numbers of the book. I had to scroll thru hundreds of pages to find what I wanted to read. I just ordered the paperback instead so I hope I can get a refund for the Kindle book.
Published 20 months ago by Melissa R. Stoey

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Guide to Refinding the True You, November 12, 2009
This review is from: Female Brain Gone Insane: An Emergency Guide For Women Who Feel Like They Are Falling Apart (Paperback)
Female Brain Gone Insane

What a great book. I learned so much about myself.

Mia Lundin's book has defined my path for the future. I am seeing results already. The neurotransmitter supplements mentioned in the book according to my symptons have helped me get back my old self or close to it. I am less anxious, enjoying friends & have my memory back. I am still working on the brain fog.

The book starts off w/how to use this book, next is why & how this brain change happens, on to identifying where you are in the process, life improvement techniques, & lastly excellent resources. There is an excellent Emotional Rescue Plan that readers can complete & begin their healing.

I have seen & read many health practitioners: western, eastern, holistic; but no book has given such clear steps & definitive answers to the changes of the female brain & its repercussions on one's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Invaluable Resource For Every Woman Who Wants to Feel Her Best, September 14, 2009
At 61 years of age, I had almost given up on ever feeling 'good' again. I'd spent years going to various (and capable) doctors and other practitioners, trying anti-depressants, various supplement programs, hormone replacement (including bio-identical), you name it. There would be a little relief, but I never felt like things ever came all together.

Then I discovered Mia Lundin. Finally there was someone who focused on me as a whole woman, with a myriad of interconnecting patterns and symptoms that, of course, mutually affected each other. The goal now was to find the balance and the combination of therapies that would make things click. I was more than ready to give up the soul-depleting fatigue, the mood swings, the depressed energy levels, and to get out of the emotional basement that I had been in for so long. Mia held out to me that possibility.

Not all of us are privileged to be able to work one on one with Mia. That's why I am so excited that she has written this beautifully comprehensive book. The Female Brain Gone Insane is a tool any woman can use to discover what actions and therapies will work best for her in order to restore balance and sanity to her life. The book includes tools for self-assessment, a description of what tests are needed and how to ask your doctor for them or where to go to have them done yourself, explanations of how brain chemistry and hormonal imbalances affect us and what we can do to change that. All this and more are presented here in clearly written, easy to comprehend language.

Female Brain Gone Insane allows and encourages every woman to become her own strongest ally and advocate. I wish it had been available to me when I was nearing 40!!!! Thank you, Mia Lundin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Female Health, September 7, 2010
I LOVE this book! I purchased my own copy after first checking out our library's. I was so impressed and so grateful that they had it, that I emailed the library a thank you. Since then I have purchased 2 copies as gifts and recommended to all the women I know. This is the best book I have read so far on general female health. It's very easy to read and follow. Mia has outlined four steps to help you have better health based on your age and emotional type. It doesn't group all women into just one category! I love the chapters on the adrenal and thyroid. But best of all, she does NOT promote her own products! And of course, it's not just about supplements. But what you eat, exercise, relax, etc. Mia must be a very smart and caring lady. She shares her story as well as some of her patients. I would love to meet her someday and tell her what a difference her book made in my life. Every woman should read this book, and follow her advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on the money!, March 10, 2012
OMG, this book was a Godsend!

I was doing some research on perimenopause and found Louise Gittelman's book. But then Amazon suggested this book. and it turned out to be just what the doctor ordered.

After deciding to go to law school at age 41, I thought my brain had become mush. In actuality, the brain fog, irritability, weight gain, morning migraines, night sweats and other conditions I had been experiencing were symptoms of perimenopause.

This book tells you EXACTLY what to do to get relief and feel like yourself again. As soon as I started eating what the author suggests, avoided eating what she says not to eat, started taking the vitamins and nutritional supplements, and started exercising at least 30 minutes a day, I felt like a million bucks. And to boot, I lost 8 lbs in one month! My recommendation is to definitely get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars helped me, March 18, 2010
This book really helped me to understand what was going on in my body when I felt so tired and sick during PMS after I weaned my baby. I would really recommend reading it! It explains different scenarios of various women and it's helpful to see that others are having similar symptoms and to read about the biological causes of them. It makes you feel relieved that you can be your normal self again soon. One thing- you might not need to take the risk of hormone therapy in order to get better. I didn't want to, because there is breast cancer in my family. For a few years before I had my second child, I took Chasteberry (Vitex) once a day. I felt a million times better- it helps your body produce more progesterone. Lately it hasn't been working though. Good luck!
UPDATE: I just learned in the health food store today that there are two types of Vitex. One is the "fruit" and it doesn't work for women's issues. That's the one I bought by accident after I had my second child and that's why it wasn't working! The second type is the "extract"- it should say what % of Agnuside is in it. THAT one is a miracle. There are tons of studies on it. It even healed the proliferation of uterine tissue in one study. So, voila! Hope it helps you. You can take it for as long as you want according to a book by a scientist (unlike what some websites say). I am going to try it again because it totally helped me before.
In the past few months I tried a prescription of natural progesterone pills (from the compounding pharmacy) but it made me feel super depressed and also hurt my bladder badly.
UPDATE 6/2011 Beware- don't eat the 30% protein diet that this book recommends. It will make you so sick! It gave me a horrible stomachache that lasted every time I ate for months. Read "The China Study." The scientist who wrote it did experiments on rats. He was able to turn cancer on and off by changing the rats' diet from 5% animal protein to 20% animal protein. Whenever he decreased their diet to 5% the cancer stopped growing. When he raised it to 20% it came back full force. He could feed the rats tons of toxic chemicals but if they were on the 5% protein diet they never got cancer. Also he explains about female hormones. They are too high in western women because of animal-based diets. You can decrease your estrogen to half (and therefore not have such horrible female symptoms) by eating a plant-based diet. You don't need to take risky hormones!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Invaluable Resource for Women AND Men Who Love Them..., September 11, 2009
The target audience for this book is certainly women, whom I understand make up the majority of Ms. Lundin's private practice.
However, after reading it thoroughly, I think it would be almost essential reading for any man who has been on the other side of the hormonal problems addressed by the author. From my experience and those of my male friends over the years, that includes just about every man I've known who has been in a passionate relationship. The passion almost always comes with a price. That price is the exact symptoms addressed in The Female Brain Gone Insane, one of the most accurate titles I have ever seen. I know for a fact, that not one of the women who raged at me wanted to do so. In fact, to a one, they deeply regretted the drama of their behavior after the episodes predictably passed on.
Ms. Lundin provides a very important message for so many women. There is HOPE! Then, she proceeds to communicate her considerable experience in a voice that is as compassionate as it is professional.
I am quite certain that this book will improve the lives of many, many women desperately seeking the ray of light, wisdom and hope it provides.
I am equally certain that the men and other family members who love these women will benefit greatly by Ms. Lundin's inspired look at a pandemic problem that threatens many otherwise great relationships and has destroyed all to many as well.
This book is a five-star resource for those who need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone suffering through perimenopause needs this book, May 23, 2011
This book is spot on for women who think they're losing it but don't know why. It accurately identified all of the symptoms I've been suffering through and was told by my gynecologist and primary dr. that it's all apart of peri-menopause and take Lexapro until it's over. Just reading the book and learning what I suspected that hormones were causing my feelings of anxiety and sadness helped me right away. It's so well written and easy to read. It's like Mia is speaking directly to you. If I lived near CA I would make an appointment to meet with Mia. She's truly the first person who completely understands what women are going through at this time of our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balance, March 19, 2010
Sadly doctors only have time to deal with whatever PART of you relevant to their specialty-and so the mixture of drugs prescribed, the tests unperformed, the mess that is your health seems hopeless. Female Brain Gone Insane is HOPE- to become your own advocate with doctors-based on the info provided. To demand testing, info on drug interactions, to keep fighting for the Balance of chemistry. This book is changing lives from despair to full vital living.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle book!, April 8, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read when you need easy answers UPDATED, March 23, 2014
I really appreciate how this book simplifies the self-treatment of perimenopause symptoms with bioidentical progesterone and amino acids. I'd had great past results from 5htp as recommended in The Mood Cure. (That book is much more comprehensive on aminos.) But I didn't even know until I bought this that this book was about aminos. I was simply looking for answers about hormonal balance for my perimenopausal symptoms. This book did a nice job of explaining how low progesterone and low serotonin combine for hormonal moodswings. Her sample supplement plan is sound, although my cross-references have me starting with progesterone only once per day. I'm torn. On the one hand, this book is a much easier read when you're overwhelmed. You can get a good regime out of it. On the other hand, reading The Mood Cure and John Lee's What Your Dr Won't Tell You will give you a more moderate plan. I'd say start here, then double check details and contraindications with the other books.

UPDATE. Giving it 5 stars now because I got my answers and feel amazing. The book suggests getting hormones, DHEAS, and thyroid tested via ZRT labs. Since I suspected I might have adrenal fatigue in addition to estrogen dominance, I sought out ZRT labs and got tested without a Dr. by joining Canary Club. BINGO. I learned that indeed, my cortisol and testosterone were below normal. Also that I was under-dosing my progesterone by following what John Lee's book said (1x day) instead of what Female Brain Gone Insane suggested (2x day.) Additionally, I learned that my thyroid is fine, so I don't have any lingering doubt if that was part of my problem. So I added all the adrenal fatigue supplements in addition to Mia's basic supplement plan. I also took a calculated risk and added a very low dose of regular DHEA (in addition to the Keto she recommends) because I was hoping that would increase my testosterone a bit. After 2 months, I feel amazing. I feel normal again. I am motivated again. This book gave the keys I needed to get myself sorted out.

Female Brain Gone Insane: An Emergency Guide For Women  Who Feel Like They Are Falling Apart
$14.95 $11.18