Femme Fatale Deluxe
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$13.39 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 29, 2011
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
The short version of this review? Femme Fatale (especially the Deluxe Edition) is simply Britney Spears' best album to date. It's everything a Britney fan could ask for. And for those who aren't fans, they will most likely become fans if they like catchy electro dance music.

Now for the (very) long version. Femme Fatale is an electro-pop masterpiece that melds pop, techno, and even dubstep together. Every song has fantastic production, creative lyrics, and a star quality that only Britney can pull off. This album is one you will want to listen to whenever and wherever, in the car, at the club, at home, at parties. Britney really put her heart and soul into this album, and it shows through her vocal performance throughout the album as well. Yes, there is a fair amount of production and editing that goes on, but as far as the energy in her vocals (which is something autotune cannot induce),she really has put her best foot forward to make tantalizing dance music.

Is Femme Fatale better than Blackout? That is up for you to judge. Femme Fatale is definitely sex-driven, just like Blackout. Every song on this album is different and unique sounding, but there are definitely a lot of similarities to Blackout. Femme Fatale is more like the Blackout 2.0, it's definitely far from the sound of Circus.

"Till The World Ends" and "Hold It Against Me" are the singles so far for this album. "Hold It Against Me" is a fantastic song that has a thrusting beat, and the double-entendre is very clever. The album begins with the high-energy "Till The World Ends", written by Ke$ha. It's an amazing dance anthem complete with chants of "woah oh oh oh ohhh" and the vocals are fierce and catchy. These two songs are already an amazing start to the album.

The next song is a mid-tempo breakup sex jam called "Inside Out". This is probably one of Britney's best mid-tempos and the lyrics are instantly catchy. We heard dubstep influences in "Hold It Against Me", and "Inside Out" is no exception, it takes the influence to the next level. Next "I Wanna Go" kicks in, and this song is pure fire. The song features some clever whistling, and classic Britney stuttering "I I wanna go go all the way way". This is definitely a highlight of the album, and you won't be able to get it out of your head.

The album stays uptempo with the bubbly "How I Roll", which is one of the album's most unique songs. Produced by Bloodshy & Avant, Britney sings some jazzy vocals over electronic bubble pops and a beat made out of her own panting. It's a weird description, but the R&B/Techno-vibe song is very fun and Britney owns it. My favorite lyrics are "I wanna go downtown where my posse's at, because I got nine lives like a kitty cat". Also, she pulls an "If U Seek Amy" with the lyrics of "You can be my thug tonight", but it really sounds like "You can be my f**k tonight" (which after many listens, I am convinced it's the real lyric).

"(Drop Dead) Beautiful [Featuring Sabi]" has an infectious beat and chorus, featuring a new female rapper named Sabi. The beat is so sick, and Britney delivers some sassy lines. The song is definitely great with some lyrics that make me chuckle, but Sabi's part is just kind of generic and overly auto-tuned. Next is "Seal It With A Kiss", probably the most hardcore dubstep song on the album, with a hard breakdown in the middle of the song. This song is another one of my favorites as Britney declares her secret love for someone at a party. It also has an identifiable "Oooo Oooo Ooo" throughout that makes it fun.

Will.I.Am features in "Big Fat Bass" (pronounced base, mind you) which is one of those tracks that has to grow on you, some will like it, others won't. It's basically a Black Eyed Peas song made just for Britney, as the lyrics are pretty straightforward. She coos in her lower register "I can be your treble baby, you can be my bass" and she says this over and over until the point where "treble" sounds more like "trouble". The beat on this song is very good, it swells and includes some flourishing piano in it. Will.I.Am's rap is nothing special either, but I have to give him credit for the practically flawless production. This "Womanizer" like song is also the longest on the album, clocking in at 4:45.

At this point, you are halfway through the album (or more than halfway if you just have the standard edition) and you would expect things to get boring right? Well that's where you're wrong; the last half of the album is just as exciting as the first. The track "Trouble For Me" is a R&B influenced track with a dirty electro beat molded into it. It's here where Britney's vocals sound the most confident and fierce. She sings about a lover who is trouble for her, but a party must-have for everyone else. This song has a great bridge too, and keeps bumpin' till the inevitable end of the song.

"Trip To Your Heart" is an effervescent, gorgeous, ballad style electro song. It reminds me of "Heaven On Earth" from Blackout, and a little bit of "Breathe On Me" from In The Zone. Britney's vocals sound soft and pretty here almost like "Everytime" from In The Zone. The lyrics are absolutely beautiful "Spread my wings out into the dark, I'll fly away on a trip to your heart / Break these chains that keep us apart, I'll fly away on a trip to your heart".

"Gasoline" picks the pace back up with addicting and clever lyrics like "Spark and it's like gasoline / I start pumping like a machine / My heart only runs on supreme / So hot / Give me your gasoline". The standard length album comes to an end with the incredible "Criminal" which is another ballad like electro song. The song features a cool flute, and Britney sings about loving a bad boy. The song's lyrics make you to wonder if she is talking about her ex: Kevin Federline. Either way, this is a pretty and entertaining song that ends the standard album on a good note.

The bonus tracks bring the deluxe album back to party mode with the electric, addictive "Up `N Down". This song is so good and dirty with an amazing bridge, and this song definitely should have been included on the standard edition track listing. "Selfish" is equally amazing, with classic Britney pronunciation of the word "selfish", which sounds more like "seyylfesh".
My favorite lyrics from the chorus are "Boom boom baby, pick you up in my Mercedes".

"He About To Lose Me" has guitars that remind me of P!nk song, and features Britney's most raw vocals. That is until you get to the chorus, which doesn't sound anything like her. Still, this song is catchy and emotional, probably the only other song not talking about sex. Then the last song is a complete oddball (but really a hidden gem) song, it's a rock/pop song called "Don't Keep Me Waiting" which doesn't fit the electro sound of the rest of the album. What's great about this song is how unique it is, I don't think I can remember the last time Britney sang a rock song. The vocals are very confident and I can totally imagine her rocking out while recording it.

As far as the title, her involvement, and concept goes, I would say all these songs fit the concept in a sort of effortless way. Britney doesn't need to try hard to be seductive with her music, she just is seductive with her music. Would it be safe to say she is a femme fatale? Definitely. Seven albums in to her career and she can still captivate us with her image, style and vocal presence. The very fact that Britney didn't write even one song on this album just proves how she easily makes ANY song that she is willing to record her own, and she does it with her undeniable spirit and a voice more unique than any other pop artist on the scene. She doesn't need to be a fantastic songwriter to make amazing music that is exclusively all her own, and neither did some of the greats like Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley. Even the contemporaries of today don't write much of their own music, take Rihanna's Loud for example. Britney has a had a lot of creative involvement throughout the years, whether it be coming up with a music video idea, choosing album pictures, or co-writing some of her biggest hits ("Me Against The Music" and "Everytime"). I would hope that seven albums into her career that we would stop questioning her talent, voice, creative drive, and rather be accepting of it. The best thing Britney has done for a decade now is sing, dance, and deliver fantastic pop music. If anything, Britney has earned her Ph.D in the art of seduction via music.

Overall Femme Fatale is an amazing record, Britney's best if I dare say so. Or at the very least a flawless equal match to the magnificent Blackout. It has all types of songs, and really nothing on it disappoints me. The vocals are amazing (she experiments every part of her range, from the high notes in "Trip To Your Heart" to the lows of "Big Fat Bass"), the production is consistently flawless, the beats and lyrics are top-notch, and the album stands alone as a gorgeous, one-of-a-kind, dance record. This album is where Britney is completely in her zone; giving her fans the best music she's ever made. This album is far better than anything the other Pop divas of today (Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Beyonce, Rihanna) have put out in the past year or so. Only Britney can pull an album like this off anyways. I would very highly recommend this album to any and all Britney fans, but also to anyone who is looking for amazing, feel-good, dance, avant-garde, pop music. I am so proud of and thankful to Britney and her producers for making this album; it really is a pop masterpiece for 2011.

Rating: 5/5 Stars or an A+
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2012
Format: MP3 Music
Britney Spears' first album into the decade of 2010 showcased a revamped, updated electro-pop sound that catapulted her back into the spotlight; 3 top 5 singles came as a result from it including the #1 smash hit 'Hold It Against Me' and the #3 single 'Till The World Ends', which was accompanied by a massively popular music video. However its commercial success was no surprise even before its release in 2011, given the fact that the album was produced by a hoard of untouchable hit-makers, most notoriously Max Martin, Dr. Luke & Shellback.

The reality of the album's musical content is however less prestigious; while saturating the music with dubstep breaks, techno synths, pervasive melodine, eq filters and massive compression makes for an undeniably trendy output, one can't help but wonder how is it that Britney Spears' style and persona fit into this at all. The lyrical content smooths the transition, since Britney has always been undeniably sexual, but her passionless singing is hardly convincing at all, for which she comes off as rather washed up instead of punchy and seductive; not to mention the fact that any life out of her vocals is sucked out by the melodine.

The 4 or 5 songs that were composed and produced by the aforementioned producers are undoubtedly the most enjoyable ones, where the melodies of a nice Max Martin composition are decent regardless of Spears' commitment to them. The one exception I could point out would be the book-ending 'Criminal', which its thematic about a girl blindly in love with an outlaw, which unknowingly sucks her into the negativity of his lifestyle, is a theme in which there is a tangible connection to Britney's own previous love life, where the faint tone of her delivery is convincing to the helpless, gritty exposition of the subject matter. Other than that, the album is as hype and glossy as her hitmaker producers like it to be, where her own charisma is absent, and her as an artist comes second.
on March 29, 2011
Format: Audio CD
I bought this album this morning and I can't stop listening to it. Yes, I agree it's not Britney's best work (I grew up listening to her and in my opinion, her best work was when she first began.) but I really like this album. It's fun, it's upbeat. It's a club album and that's what I was looking for on this Britney album.

1.) Till the World Ends: I know a lot of people are not too fond of this song, but I love it. It's catchy, it's fun. 4/5.
2.) Hold It Against Me: The first FF single. Not her best song but it has grown on me. 4/5.
3.) Inside Out: I think this is my favorite song off the album. The melody is beautiful and the lyrics are catchy. "Hit me one more time it's so amazing." 5/5.
4.) I Wanna Go: I LOVE this song. It's refreshing, I don't think I've heard a song quite like it before. 5/5.
5.) How I Roll: This is such a cute song! 4/5.
6.) (Drop Dead) Beautiful: This song is not as great as I thought it was gonna be. It's okay. 3/5.
7.) Seal It With a Kiss: Another catchy song. The lyrics are really cute. 4/5.
8.) Big Fat Bass: I LOVE this song. I know a lot of people aren't too fond of it, but it's such a fun song. Perfect club song! 5/5.
9.) Trouble For Me: This song was a little hard to get into...but it has grown on me. 4/5.
10.) Trip To Your Heart: Love this song! It's perfect. 5/5
11.) Gasoline: This song seems to be upon the most popular on the album, but it's okay. 4/5.
12.) Criminal: Another one of my favorites. The lyrics might be controversial but it's a beautiful song. 5/5.
13.) Up N Down: Catchy, fun song. 4/5.
14.) He About To Lose Me: This song has yet to grow on me. 3.5/5
15.) Selfish: I really like this song. 4/5
16.) Don't Keep Me Waiting: LOVE this song! Why isn't it on the album and not as a bonus song?! It reminds me of Janet Jackson's "Black Cat." 5/5.

This album is perfect for clubbing or working out. I really enjoy it!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2011
Format: MP3 Music
Having been a fan of hers since 1999 I can truly say this is one of her best albums to date... edgy, dance themed album that has multiple vibes. I recommend this album if you have ever been or have considered being a Britney fan :)
VINE VOICEon March 31, 2011
** 1/2

What is it about Britney Spears that makes her a superstar? It's definitely not her voice; even her fans can admit she's not a strong singer. She used to be a fantastic dancer, but since knee surgery a few years back, her moves aren't what they used to be. She's a cute girl, sure, but cute girls are a dime a dozen.

Maybe it's her mystique. After all, after being in the public eye for over a decade, I still have no idea who this Britney Spears person is. Her songs, cute and catchy as they often are, reveal nothing about her as a person. Her videos, bombastic and sexy as they are, offer no intimacy. Even during her "meltdown", it was impossible to tell what was real and what was staged.

"Femme Fatale," her latest product, continues to offer no hint of who the real Britney Spears is. The songs are dizzying, slick, and sugary, but Britney's vocals are so processed she sounds like a robot most of the time, and the generic lyrics speak of nothing other than partying, sex, and boys.

I listened to this on the elliptical machine. It did the job ... the beats kept me going. But the music, as much as it tries to suggest sex, offers no real intimacy, passion, or emotion. It's the sonic equivalent of having sex with a Fembot in the bathroom of a gay bar.
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I give this product five stars because this is one of Britney Spears' best albums, in my opinion. I recommend this product.
on April 16, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I love this CD. Britney Spears is the bomb and this is one of her best CD's. I'm addicted to her music. So peppy. Makes me wanna drive fast.
on April 3, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
This CD is awesome! My old one scratched and it would no longer play so I bought this one as a replacement. I NEVER buy CDs, so you know it has to be good if I bought another one. This CD pumps me up even on my bad days!
on December 21, 2013
Format: Audio CD
All of the singles from this album are really good Hold it Against Me, Till The World Ends, I Wanna Go, And Criminal but aside from these four and Selfish the others are just ok for me, it's just not that good, a little bit of a filler for me actually. The artwork is ok the cover is nice,those cardboard cases are nice but are not really efficient they ruin easily, the booklet is odd, Like I said I really loved the singles and I am a Britney fan but this was not my favorite.
on March 30, 2011
Format: Audio CD
Before making the investment in the album, I thought I would preview the album. Upon hearing the snippets, and some "sneak peeks" on Youtube, I'm extremely disappointed. I was a Britney Spears fan all the way up to the "In the Zone" album. To me, the albums that have followed that one all sound the same. There are a few good hit tracks worth noting on the preceding albums, but nothing worth making the investment in buying the albums as a whole. In my opinion, I think Britney has exhausted her pop avenue, and would be a bigger success if she pursued the club-diva avenue. Her target market has grown up, and sometimes that involves changing the style of music as well. Madonna did it, and Cher did it. We love hearing remixes of her at the club, so why not experiment with a club banging album? At this point, it would be worth trying, because it gets boring hearing the same recycled-bubble-gum-pop music over and over, track after track. I happen to like "Hold It Against Me", "Til the World Ends", and "Big Fat Bass" because they are upbeat and actually danceable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...