‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, August 1, 2012
Over the years, I have owned and/or played and/or tweaked many high-end acoustic guitars (including my standby Ovation Adamas). I have also owned/played/hot-rodded many electrics. During this tenure, I have learned not to say one guitar "sounds like" another, although temptation arises in the case of the overachieving used Fender DG-8S I recently acquired to "haul into the woods with a spiffy backpack gig bag" (not the basic one included in the kit). The DG-8S' articulate tone is remarkably similar to several high-enders I have enjoyed.

Calling the DG-8S a "starter guitar" is like calling a Boxster a "starter Porsche". While it's semantically-correct, it misses the point. The DG-8S stands on its own merits as a bona fide, high-quality, surprisingly well-built musical instrument. It is able to faithfully render the subtle nuances of my intricate finger style...not exactly the way a Martin or an Ovation does, but in a way that is wholesome, integral, and pleasing. It is, in other words, its own legitimate thing.

Using a mirror to inspect the inner workings (build quality) of the DG-8S in comparison to a much more expensive dreadnought was a fascinating exercise. There is virtually nothing to fault in the DG-8S' construction. In a nutshell: high quality materials and excellent construction equal extraordinary value.

Other reviewers have consistently pointed out two potential issues with an out-of-the-box DG-8S: string height and string buzz. Whether due to my playing technique or the previous owner's tweaks, my particular instance of this guitar evidenced no misbehavior. This isn't to say that other DG-8S guitars are immune from them. Here's the deal: if you're not a tweaker (and I submit the DG-8S is an inexpensive platform upon which to hone your tweaking chops), professional guitar techs are standing by to continually adjust your guitar(s) as it/they age(s) and/or misbehave(s). The expense of their services are warranted when the value (as measured by integrity, not dollar amount) of an instrument justifies it. I submit there is no doubt about the value proposition of professional set-up when it comes to the DG-8S. In addition, a good set of finger calluses and properly-strengthened hands help control the occasional, inevitable "buzzes" associated with any fretted instrument.

Bottom line: this is a great guitar to start with, grow with, and use throughout your life. Please enjoy it for a long time in good health!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, August 30, 2010
Nice packaging product, got everything you need as a beginner. It is my first guitar and I like it. I'll recommend it to everyone who wants to learn guitar but not sure if you're gonna like playing guitar. Don't buy a cheap one, you'll regret. This guitar is just awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar!!!!, May 6, 2009
electric E (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I got this because I wanted to learn acoustic guitar. AND....This is an awesome guitar!! I got it at the Guitar Center, and compared to another guitar the same price(but without the package), a Yamaha, it sounds the same!! The Guitar Center people highly recommended this guitar and I loved the sound of it compared to other more expensive ones. The strap is OK but I'll probably eventually get a new one; the gigbag is great with padding and a big pocket, but I don't use it as I have it hanging on my bedroom wall; the tuner's nice; wish there were more picks because I'm afraid I'll lose the three it came with LOL; and the tuning twisty thingamajig is supposed to be great too except I haven't changed the strings yet so I wouldn't know.....that's just what the guy at the Guitar Center said LOL. The DVD is OK but I'm using a book (Hal Leonard) that's helped me a lot more. The only problem I have with it is I wish it came in multiple colors. Oh, well.
Overall, this is a fantastic guitar and any beginner should totally get it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fender DG-8S Acoustic Guitar Review, December 13, 2012
Length:: 0:45 Mins

I've had the Fender DG-8S for several years now and I still haven't gotten a new acoustic, which says a lot because I play the guitar everyday. The only thing that's wrong with it after all these years is the plastic pickguard fell off.

The thing I like most about it is the action on the guitar is pretty low for a beginner acoustic, which was nice when I was learning barre chords and scales.

4.0 out of 5 stars its a trooper, June 5, 2011
I bought this guitar package as a university student about 5 years ago. Since then it has seen about a dozen moving trucks, airline baggage checks, trips to the beach, rain forests, blizzards, its been rained on, frozen, baked in a hot summer car, and its even seen the stage a few times. This guitar holds its tune well even playing outside in the winter, it looks great and takes abuse like a champ. I am not notoriously kind to my instruments (if you arn't going to take it everywhere what's the point in learning to play) but this guitar is still going strong.
It has the longest sustain of any guitar I have heard ever (almost annoyingly long), some strings have strange rattles if plucked too hard (I can't remember if it came like this or if I did something to it) The action was ridiculously high out of the box, but is easily adjustable. Expect to have to get a new gig bag after a year or so, the black canvas and foam liner are fine, but should not also be used as a suit case, the zipper will not hold.

I have recently upgraded to another guitar, but this one remains continually loaned out to friends, family, children, anyone who wants to learn.

It gets 4 stars instead of 5 because of the gig bag and its annoying zipper, the neck/head seem excessively long for some reason, and the action seems to need adjustment regularly without explanation as to why... once again its not hard to do, but its strange that it sneaks higher and higher every so often. I'd recommend it if you are looking for a quality guitar that can get knocked around. Its a fine piece that will last you a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paves way for the player to improve, September 1, 2011
I don't understand why people purchase $90 guitars. They're cheaply made and doesn't keep strings in tune well, making learning frustrating. This Fender is a great guitar if you're starting out, it keeps strings in tuned well, especially light/medium D'addario strings. It paves way for you to improve. I've own cheaper guitars with a thinner and noticeably weaker mahogany back and sides, but this Fender is thicker and more durable. For a beginner's guitar, this one is definitely worth trying out.

My only complaint would be that the bridge saddle and neck nut height is high. Which raise the strings and you get less tone when playing, also makes holding strings down a bit more difficult, esp harder strings. This you do get used to, but changing them just makes it play better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar quality for very reasonable price, May 4, 2011
I recently purchased this guitar for my teenage daughter. After trying a classical guitar, and the drums, I didn't want to drop a bundle on yet another instrument that she might not use. The pack came with the guitar, a gig bag, strings and an extra set, picks, and a tuner.

The guitar itself gets 5 stars. It's a solid instrument with a nice solid top that's sure to age into a rich, full tone. I knew we wanted to get something that would only sound better with time, so a solid top was a priority. The grain of the wood is beautiful, and just on appearance, this was the nicest looking guitar in the shop. It didn't have that twangy sound that many of the others had, even the much more expensive Yamaha guitars.

As for the items that it came with...well, the gig bag is very cheap, even for a soft sided gig bag. It's more like a trash bag with handles. Since we already had a hard case, I didn't care. If you don't have another case or bag, get one, because the one that comes in the pack isn't going to protect the instrument from anything.

The strings are fine, no complaints on the quality for a beginner or novice, but an advanced player would probably want to upgrade them.

The tuner is crappola. We already had a nice electric tuner, so again, this didn't matter to us, but if we didn't, I would have been fairly unhappy to see such a low quality tuner come out of the box. I tried it out, and didn't have much luck. There are much, much better tuners, even the non-electric ones would be better and they're fairly cheap to buy.

Overall, this is a great instrument that's being marketed with substandard accessories to folks that know just enough about guitars to realize that the price is worth it, just for the guitar. There's a cheaper Fender starter pack available (99 dollars), and I'm sure the accessories are exactly the same- main difference being the two pc. top. It's worth the extra money for a solid top if you're buying this for an adult, or teenager, or want an instrument that will last. For a younger kid, or just something to knock around, it probably doesn't matter, but I'm glad we got this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars After a year, still happy with this as my first guitar., January 7, 2013
Bought this for myself at a brick and mortar store just after Christmas in 2012, so it's been a year now and I'm still very happy with this guitar. It's not a $500 or $5000 guitar, this shouldn't surprise you. But for a first guitar, this isn't bad at all. Put some new strings on it and get it set up by a decent guitar shop and you'll be happy banging out that first year and longer.

I bought mine locally, and had it set up kind of poorly initially. I can't stress enough having it set up by someone who knows what they are doing. It will be easier to play and sound better. I'll leave it at that. I gave away the tuner that was included and bought a Snark for $9. The gig bag is practically a nylon sack, but better than nothing. The strap is functional, barely... I a bought leather strap by Fender for $15 or so and put strap-locks on it after having the strap slip off the bottom end. But this is a standard design, not really a flaw. You'll eventually throw away or give away everything but the guitar and it's still a good deal. The accessories are good enough that you'll understand what and why you want to upgrade those things when you can. And that's okay, because the guitar is worth the $200 all by itself.

Mine is made in China, but the frets ends are smooth all of the way up the neck even after a dry year in Denver. (Altitude and way too little humidity to make a guitar really happy.) With new strings, it stays in tune well enough that tuning it up once a day isn't always necessary. (And yes, I'm picky about it. When you're starting out, if you're not in tune you won't always know and that makes it a lot harder to learn.) The tone and volume of this guitar sound like I spent twice the money on it. It's no cannon, but I've made friends that play since getting it and I've received compliments on it's sound from people with experience. Playing it side by side with guitars at similar price points from Ibanez and Yamaha have been incredibly flattering to this guitar.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, April 4, 2011
I got this for my boy friend for his birthday. He just loved it . He knows his guitars and Fender is his favorite company. The package even came with a cover a tuner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Package, December 16, 2010
Purchasing a first guitar to learn on is quite a feat. So many choices and options to consider. When this package from Fender arrived, I found the packaging of all items to be very thoughtful and protective. I didn't realize that the package was so complete with an extra set of strings. Once I got to the guitar and observed the quality of the materials and finish, I was very impressed. The wood grain and finish sparkle in the light and the wood grain is absolutely beautiful. I have shown this package to many guitar players with decades of experience and they always comment, without any provocation on my part, about how the finish and wood quality and tone are worth so much more. Then they play it and are sold. They can't believe all the items that came in the package - but all continue to comment on the beauty of the guitar! I am so pleased with this purchase and would recommend this to any beginner as an excellent first acoustic guitar. Thank you Fender for a quality product!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›