4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good Guitar

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good and play good, but build quality is poor
Published 23 months ago by K. Christie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good Guitar, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat Acoustic-Electric Guitar - Natural (Electronics)
Having never played a Hellcat or even seen one in person, I was somewhat anxious to see what I'd bought. A few things: 1) the tuner and electronics are Fishman, but they're different from the picture. There are very small knobs to turn for bass, mid, and high instead of the sliders. It's very hard to see the position in low stage lighting. The tuner is more of a round display with red and green indicator lights. I like it better. Also, the battery compartment is located separately on the end of the guitar along with the jack. Not a bad design, actually. 2) the bridge pins are not black with white dots, but white with black dots. No big deal. 3) Fender advertises EXP 11's for strings. It came with a non-coated set of 12's. I changed the strings to Elixir 11's and it's much better. I think I'll play through this set of strings and then have the bridge shaved a little to lower the action. It's a little higher than I like. On the plus side, the finish and look of the guitar are first-rate and it really stays in tune. I've received nothing but complements on it and it's unique - so far nobody else in my area has one! I was surprised to see a "made in China" sticker in the soundhole, but it's really a quality guitar with a great sound, not too bright and not too muddy. Really shines through an amp, too. I wasn't expecting a great acoustic electric under $300, but this one easily takes on others twice the price. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds very good, April 28, 2011
This is a smaller body guitar, more like a classical - not a dreadnought.
It's smaller size makes it comfortable to play. The neck is not to fat or to thin.
The action is on the high side and could use some lowering but it's not bad.

What this guitar does is sound good. very balanced tone. Bass lines stand out well
and have volume and distinction. High notes are on the warm side. Chords sound out
well, rich and not muddy. Picking solo notes ring out with a chime and with volume.

The guitar respondes well when played soft and easy with a warm mellow tone and
when you dig in hard and get agresive it rings out loud and clear.

It's NOT a dead flat sounding dull guitar and fact it's quite rich it tone and ambiance.

I was uprised to see that it was all mahogany as it sounded brighter than most mahaogany
guitars and seems to lean more towards the brighter maple guitars

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, September 9, 2011
It has an awesome sound, great quality, I am extremely happy with it. Would recommend this to anyone, I honestly cannot find one "Con" love the "Natural" finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best guitar ever, February 17, 2012
I ordered this guitar three days ago and it got here last night. First I was worried because I bought it from online. But, the shipping was fine and guitar doesn't have any scratch from it. The guitar sounds awesome. You can't buy a guitar like this with this price. Don't hesitate to buy or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Budget guitar, May 14, 2013
I bought this to take around Phila to play open mics and it works great for that. Has a decent sounds plugged in and a warm tone unplugged. Its not a Martin/Taylor but it definitely worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar., September 30, 2012
This is one excellent intrument. I was hesitant to buy it because I have never played one before and bought it purely off of the reviews it received on the web. It exceeded my expectations. It sounds great, plays great, and for the price you really cant beat it. Highly recommended for any musician on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Look, Excellent Sound, Great Price, October 15, 2011
William Callan (Greensboro, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Just got my Tim Armstrong Fender A/E Guitar today, and I have to say, I was quite impressed. I already own one Fender A/E guitar, so this one makes two. My point about this is that I had many choices of guitar to pick from and I went back to Fender. It has a sweet sound that projects very well. Even the strings that come on it sound pretty good. Anyway, if your looking for a guitar that is a little bit unconventional (i.e., cats and skulls), this guitar is for you. I can tell you that I'm very happy with my purchase and I believe you will be to.

4.0 out of 5 stars great value for this range of axe, January 5, 2014
i believe that in the price range within which this guitar resides, it truly happens to be one of the best values out there. if you are expecting to compare it to top of the line martins and larivees, you of course will not be finding your top dog in this, but if you are looking for a guitar with well-done appointments, a clear, balanced tone with a great full trusty pickup system, and killer looks, this is your guy. i have some really nice axes but was looking for a guitar i could take on the road and beat around and not have to worry about being precious about it, and when i saw the lefty version of this in the store, i was pretty blown away by the looks of it- the subtle, uniqueness of it that wasn't too crazy or wanting to be all flashy, but looked like some vintagey warm thing with its own story and look. also, the body size is small and comfortable, not some huge thing to get your arm up over, which is attractive to me. stays in tune surprisingly well with the more old-school looking tuners, is easy to play with its fast smooth neck, and is a winning buy. cheers to this one, fender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply AMAZING! Beyond great right out of the box! Can't beat this quality for this price! Would buy 5 more!, September 16, 2014
Dianne Sanden (LOS OSOS, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Simply AMAZING! Beyond great right out of the box! Can't beat this quality for this price! Would buy 5 more if I had to. This is an amazing guitar, plugged in or not. The feel is great and the action is perfect. I have a 1935 Slingerland May-bell F hole style Acoustic and 2 Yamahas and this fits right in my acoustic family. It's my only acoustic that has a pick up in it and it does the job! I love the custom hellcat inlays on the fret markers and the skulls on the 12th. fret. I use to make guitars for Ernie Ball music man so I've seen a lot of different guitars come through our shop/factory and I've played kn many many different guitars and I worked in the "set up" department and I did fret jobs on guitars that were worth thousands apps thousands of dollars. This feels amazing and sounds so good and bright. This could easily be a $400-500 guitar. For this price, you truly get what you pay for and then some! Very pleased and would give it 10 stars if I could! I love the built in guitar tuner as well. You just push a button when it's not plugged in and tune it up, switch the pick up off and you're done! Amazing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good and play good, but build quality is poor, January 27, 2013
I didn't expect much from a guitar at this price, but I still considered returning it. It feels OK and plays well. And it sounds pretty good. But the build quality is poor. The fingerboard binding is actually a cheap tape and there are bumps in it that your fingers catch. The body binding seems OK, but I wish they stuck with just white or off-white and not a combination of the two. It stays in tune though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›