4.0 out of 5 stars Destined to be a classic, August 13, 2013
This review is from: Fender Eric Clapton EC Signature Vibro-Champ 5W 1x8 Hand-Wired Tube Guitar Combo Amp Tweed
Plug in a Stratocaster, crank it to 8-9 and you've got Eric Clapton's "Layla" tone nailed perfectly. Nothing wrong with that tone at all.

As a practice amplifier, it's terrific for getting a crunchy tone which you can easily clean up with the volume knob on your guitar or simply by adjusting your touch. The low power switch cuts down speaker volume so you can get the cranked tone without waking up too many members of the family late at night. Two inputs allows you to adjust how much overdrive you get. I use input 1 for my Strats and input 2 for my Les Pauls.

The cleans are marvelous, although not terribly loud at only 5 watts. And once it gets crunchy, over 5 or so on the volume control, it's just a classic and harmonically rich overdrive. Not metal by any means, but just good old rock n roll with the right amount of tube rectifier sag.

The addition of vibrato (really tremolo) is a more useful feature than I would have originally thought and gives the nod to this amp over the '57 Champ reissue.

You only have an 8" speaker, so it doesn't give that big low end, but that's not the point here.

Construction quality is excellent and I especially like the sturdy pine cabinet. You can definitely hear it add to the tone, especially when compared to something like a Fender Blues Junior, which is housed in MDF.

The downsides are mostly inconsequential. First, there's a little bit of rattle, which I believe mainly comes from the tube cage on the back. Second, the vibrato control is really only useful until about 3-4. Once the speed gets too high, it sounds gimmicky.

The biggest downside and the only reason I give this four stars is the price. It's a heck of a lot of money for a small amp that you mostly can't gig with. At $999 you have to pause and think really hard before buying it--but if you're looking for that 5F-1 tone, this will get it for you. At $750 new, this thing would be five stars.

I can't see Fender selling enough of these at $999 to keep producing them for too long, nor do I see them lowering the price too much. I think these will become scarce in the future. If you're interested, at least give one a spin before you dismiss it based on price alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Amp, December 30, 2013
This amp just keeps getting better every day. It is high quality all around. Perfect if you want to downsize, and its so easy to move around. Five watts and 1.25 watts is still very loud for a small house, so I replaced the stock tubes and now I have more headroom, which allows me to keep the volume down (or up!!) and add overdrive and reverb pedals in front of it if I choose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny and plain, July 8, 2012
Mike Rivers (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Small and simple. It is smaller than you think and was not intended to be played loud. The retro design is great. It's plenty loud enough for your living room. But only two controls - volume and tremelo. That's it.