5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, pleasantly surprised with this guitar
Published on August 21, 2012 by E. Reyes

1.0 out of 5 stars After 2 weeks it died.
I bought it for practice only to save wear on 2 hand made guitars. When I played it for a few hours it sounded OK but soon sounded dull so I put on best strings I could find. This failed so I had a professional check it out and string it again and adjust the action with a new saddle..
It now sounds like a 2x4 with strings.
Fender makes good guitars but their...
Published 18 months ago by john of art

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, pleasantly surprised with this guitar, August 21, 2012
This review is from: Fender CN-140S Classical Acoustic Guitar, Rosewood Fretboard - Natural (Electronics)
This guitar was a pleasant surprise. I've been shopping around for a classical guitar with a narrower fingerboard (I'm only 5'1" and I have small hands). It's tough to find one with a narrow fingerboard and/or shorter scale while still having a full sized body. Antonio Hermosa makes one with a narrower fretboard (it's 1 7/8 inches or 48mm) and it's pretty decent, I have one and for the money it's a decent guitar. But I decided to try this Fender which also has a narrower fretboard (a smidge wider than the Antonio Hermosa but not by much). It's very easy to play and it sounds incredible. The body is deeper than the standard classical guitar (in addition to the Antonio Hermosa 10NF, I also have a classic Cordoba C3M and a Kremona Orpheus Valley Soloist S62C). And the Fender CN-140S's body is deeper than all those models so this thing is LOUD compared to the other guitars. It sounds great, I play with a soft hand and it enhances my playing and makes it louder without me playing louder. The bass strings and treble strings sound equally great, they resonate and sustain. The treble strings on the Antonio Hermosa are a little buzzy and dampened on mine so it doesn't sound as great as the Fender. The Fender looks really solid and well made. It came perfect, there were no scratches, no surface imperfections or anything. It's really solid and again it sounds great. This guitar was built with crossover's in mind (guitar players who started out playing acoustic steel string guitars and then take up classical guitar). The standard classical guitar has a 2 inch fretboard and it can be tough if you're used to the narrower fretboard on an acoustic steel string or even an electric guitar. And the action is lower too on the Fender. It's much easier to play than the standard classical guitars. I can do barre chords with no buzz or clicking and I can do slurs both hammer on and pull offs with ease and less pressure so my fingers don't get fatigued and sore as quickly. And it sounds great. I have trouble performing all these things on a standard sized guitar but not with the Fender.

If you are a beginner or a student, and you want a good, solid, great sounding guitar that is easy to play and you prefer a narrower fretboard, I would definitely recommend this guitar. It's a great value at its price point for the guitar you get. And if you get a guitar that is more comfortable to play and fits you better, then it will definitely enhance your playing experience. I highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars After 2 weeks it died., May 14, 2013
It now sounds like a 2x4 with strings.
Fender makes good guitars but their classical's are over built and have to life or rich sound. This is without any doubt the worst guitar I have ever played at any price. It has been given to good will and I do not miss it one bit.
If some one gives you this guitar use it for home protection as no one would break in if they could hear this sad sounding waste of wood and glue. I just hate it. It may also work as a boat paddle or a mouse trap.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought 2 of these; won't buy a third!, November 14, 2012
I bought 2 of these guitars over a 3 month period. A tuning peg on the first one fell apart in my hand on the 10th day. Emails to Fender finally received a reply that I could take it to a repair shop to have it examined. By that time I had already bought a replacement part that I would have to install myself from the same shop. I asked Fender if this was a common problem. They said it was a one in a million occurrence! The guitar looked good and sounded ok so I bought another one for another location several weeks later. The second one arrived with a 1 1/2 inch border along the front of the guitar that had no varnish. It was hard to believe that such a guitar could pass an inspection at the manufacturer in China! I was too lazy to return it because it otherwise looked ok and sounded ok. I did decide never to buy another Fender accoustic guitar!