Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster - Surf Green - Rosewood Fingerboard
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Surf Green|Change

on July 12, 2012
In the market for a Strat?, well your search is over friend. :)

When you hold, play and hear this Squier VM 70s version sing you'll be amazed to find that is an UNBELIEVABLE product. As I come from semi-hollow guitars (clean sounds) it is going to be quite difficult for me to pay $800-1K for an American made after playing this Indonesian remake. It is that good!

Seriously guys, it is not going to be the same but it is pretty darn close! If you're a player and not a shower, you'll know where I'm coming from...
Do play both at your local guitar store, you'll taste how easily $600 bucks can be saved. If you're like me and don't mind a little fat around edges of your steak (meaning not perfect), you'll never look back after having this rare opportunity @ $225 delivered to your door.

It's a new 2012 batch for the Vintage Modified lineup and probably FMIC went all out to improve these ones, SO in demand that I had to wait a few more days to get my Black w/Maple neck shipped. B-E-autiful tint neck w/skunk stripe, rolled edges, lock-in tuners and nice fat headstock. Light weight body, gloss finish, front & back white lined guards.

Duncan pups are just right, vintage tremolo and the 4-point neck plate are engraved, through a tube amp sounds as Fender as it can be.
Came with a decent set up, with no fret or pick up buzz here either.

It really is a well made-solid instrument, I expect it'll last me a long time. Get yours now, HURRY& ROCK ON!
on April 17, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Fender Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster. The fine print on the back of the headstock says "Crafted in Indonesia" and, based on past experience, I usually shy away from instruments manufactured there. I'm happy to see that Fender appears to have improved quality control at the factory. This guitar is not far behind MIM and American Strats I have owned.

Structurally this guitar has features that resemble early 60's Strats. It has a rosewood fretboard with jumbo frets, individually adjustable stamped bridge saddles, and a pearloid pickguard and tremolo spring cover, which looks great on the "Surf Green" finish. The finish is shiny and thick so this guitar should stand up to normal (ab)use. The fret ends protrude more than I like from the sides but I wasn't expecting a lot of hand-finish work. The guitar is playable as-is and a few strokes of a fret-end dressing file will make it comfortable. Kudo's to Fender for adding a drop of tint to the finish on the neck. I wish they would do that to ALL of their guitars. The "vintage" slot top tuners are nice too. Some people don't like them but they work fine for me and I like the old fashioned look.

The "Duncan Designed" lipstick tube pickups are cool. They help it resemble the guitar Stevie Ray Vaughan called "Charley" after builder Charley Wirz and used on the album versions of 'Tin Pan Alley', 'Life Without You', and 'Couldn't Stand The Weather.' I wouldn't say that the Duncan pickups sound just like SRV's guitar (Wirz used Danelectro pickups and his own custom wiring) but with a little tweaking you can get close. To me they sound best played clean or with just a little Blues overdrive.

Like many new guitars, the pickguard was covered with clear plastic. It peels off but was a bear to get off under the volume and tone knobs. Removing the plastic coating from the lipstick pickup covers was particularly difficult. I was afraid I was going to have to disassemble the guitar but was finally able to pick most of it off. The guitar came in the factory box with an extra tremolo spring and hex wrenches for the truss rod and bridge saddles but no tremolo arm. Not sure if it is an optional accessory or if they forgot to include it.

Setup was of the "good enough to get it out the door" minimum variety. Unless you have the experience and tools you should budget another $50 to $100 to have a luthier set up the guitar. I didn't find any significant problems doing the setup. With a few neck and intonation adjustments, a little fret polishing, and a set of new strings the guitar plays well. On any new guitar, a setup by an experienced luthier is always a good investment.

The sound is excellent for a budget guitar. On clean amp settings with reverb it has a good "surfy" sound from the Duncan Designed lipstick tube pickups. With the drive turned up I was able to get a little Bluesy dirt. This is probably not a guitar for Metal fans but it's got a good sound for Blues, Surf, Rock, and 60's Pop. Tone hounds may want to replace the pickups but that's one big advantage of a $300 guitar - you can afford to make mods. I will use this guitar for Blues and Surf and the stock pickups sound good to me.

If you want a Strat with a different vibe but have a problem with Custom Shop prices the Fender Squier Vintage Modified 'Surf' Stratocaster is a good deal. Invest in a good setup and you'll be ready to rock.
on July 22, 2013
I gotta tell you it was the Surf Green that caught my eye, which I would really call it Seafoam green if it weren't on the minty side. The mother of toilet seat pick guard gives it a very retro/modern look. The matching spring cover plate is a very nice touch. I expected it to be plain white. Came with all accessories, including 4mm truss rod wrench and saddle height adjustment wrench, an extra trem spring and the trem bar. So, let's get down to goods; First off, it came in its original Squier box, which could use some extra styro packing, but arrived undamaged. The color is super cool, could find no finish flaws. The pick guard, pickups and spring cover had protective film, which is a bit of a chore to get all off, but it did its job, protecting things from getting scratched. It has a basswood body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The neck is the modern 'C' shape with 9.5" radius. 21 medium jumbo frets. Seymour Duncan Designed lipstick pickups. The neck is finished with a vintage amber tint and gloss poly coat. Vintage metal button tuners, and the walnut 'skunk' stripe on the back of the neck. It is somewhat heavier than I though it would be for a basswood body(7.8 pounds), but still lighter than my Les Paul, but heavier than my Epiphone ES-339 Pro. Was tough playing out of the box. Was not setup well, and after continually futzing about with stretching the strings and constantly tuning, I knew it was gonna need a proper setup. After taking the horrid strings that come on it (.09-.42, super light gauge), I set about to see what was amiss. First I found a slighty loose neck bolt, so tightened those guys down securely. The rosewood fretboard seemed awful dry, so lemon oiled the board, it like drank it up, lol, also really brought the nice grain in this particular fretboard. Got her restrung with D'Addario XL 110s(.10-.46 light gauge)then set about seeing to the bridge. an invaluable tool to have is Stew-Mac's radius gauge when setting string height. Matches the saddles to fretboard radius perfectly. I did notice my high E saddle had a hex height adjuster that did not screw in straight up and down, but to the side a bit(QC issue) but still dialed in ok, I will see if Fender will send me a new set of saddles, as its not worth sending the whole guitar back over, and I might get another with the same problem. The neck needed just a minor tweak to allow for the heavier strings, just a 1/8 turn. Measured relief and was spot on Fender spec. Was able to set height adjustment to Fender spec, and now this thing plays like a real Fender. The lipstick pickups are very strong with a lot of that Fender 'quack', very good for surf when you dial up the reverb, but was also able to get some really warm jazz tones out of it. Blues tones were a breeze. The bridge pickup is way bright, so I did the tone control mod that gives you tone control on the bridge pickup. Also blocked my trem( I don't use trem) All in all a very cool guitar. Budget about 50-75 bucks for a good setup if you don't know how to do it, because mine was not setup very well. They play super nice once everything is in order. Fender just needs to crack on QC at the Indonesia factory and all will be better. I recommend this guitar. It's fun, retro and really has good tone.
on March 12, 2015
Cosmetically immaculate, meaty sound, very close to perfect setup, not even that far out of tune, delivered in a box by UPS!

Many thanks to all concerned, especially the fine people of Indonesia who built it and Fender who employed them.
on December 15, 2012
Having owned a couple of 'real' (made in USA by Fender) Fender Stratocaster's over the years, I decided to give this guitar a try. And I'm glad I did - what a nice guitar this one turned out ot be!
Out-of-the box, the intonation and set-up were on par with all my other guitars; the tremolo was a but fussy at first, staying-in-tune-wise (no surprise there, especially with new strings) but now that everything's settled down it's become my 'go-to' guitar and it stays in tune quite well. I like the humbucker/single coil pickup configuration and the stock pick-ups actually sound quite nice. This Squier is lighter than a 'real' Strat and I like that too. Fit and finish were spot-on. All-in-all for the price I have no complaints on this model - and yes, I'd play it on stage!
on November 30, 2013
For the money I spent on this guitar, it is great. Almost perfectly set up when it arrived. The pickups sound great. I did see one flaw in the finish, and the frets on the lower part of the neck were a bit too far over the fret board. But at this price point, it is an excellent deal. I have played for 31 years, no longer play in bands. For my needs, this thing more than delivers. It has exceeded my expectations completely.
on May 12, 2014
My original electric guitar back in the 1960s was a Hagstrom II. I loved it. The Fender Squier Strato....made in Indonesia...is a pretty mazing guitar for the money. The only thing I might do to upgrade is change the strings. But, the pickups sound great. The finish is beautiful and the sound a delight.
on May 6, 2013
...you'd never know it was made overseas...or even a Squier. One of the strings needed further intonation and I needed to raise the low-E a bit to eliminate a bit of buzz, but otherwise, it arrived in good condition. (No thanks to what I regard as fairly skimpy packaging compared to other guitars I've bought over the internet. But all's well that ends well.
on February 22, 2014
I began playing again after 40 some years and the design immediately attracted me due to my 60's rock and roll roots. This guitar is by no means a full blown Strat but for the price I couldn't turn it down. It plays very well out of the box but I spent some additional money and had it completely gone through and set to specs by a professional. I also had the strings replaced with high end ones. It was a different and much better playing guitar after the setup. For what is considered an entry level axe, seriously consider this because it does carry that signature Strat sound and plays very well. Spend the money on a professional setup as well. For the money, I don't believe you will be dissappointed.
on June 24, 2015
The surf strat is an value. I play mainly contemporary worship so the tube pickups offer a unique sound to a somewhat ambient style I go for. As well the mid position to me sounds thick for driving rythyms and riffs. I have only had the guitar a short time, but I love the feel and sound.
I am sure possibly there maybe modifications, but only slight. I have a 50's sunburst classic vube strat and find this equal to this guitar.
I have been playing since '77 and have owned multiple guitars nearing thirty in electrics. I have presently six electrics and this by far is in my top five favorites of all time.
The neck is thin similar to the CV and of course it has the vintage style tuners. I love the tinted neck and of course it does not have those pesky sharp fret ends.
I purchased the sonic blue and I am really happy with th ed overall look and feel of this instrument.