5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Police work
Published on January 13, 2012 by Josie Garcia

3.0 out of 5 stars Only 3 Stars?
It is an ok flashlight.

Pros: very small, very lightweight, bright for its size, its IPX-8 (water resistant)

Cons: price, twist controls/modes.

Also my particular flashlight twist control fails. For the price I could get four Cree Q5 three mode flashlights. It is good and If price were out of the picture and the problems went away I...
Published 10 months ago by August Neverman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Police work, January 13, 2012
Got this Fenix E11 light for Police work as it had the best combination of light output (100 Lumens),EDC size,inexpensive batt. cost and price $26.95. Sure there are brighter lights out there but not at this price and size. If it were any bigger I wouldn't carry it in my pocket all the time. If it were any smaller it wouldn't run on 1 cheap AA battery. If it were any more expensive I wouldn't have bought it. It is simple in its features, no fancy click 3 times to get to strobe mode or multiple times for dim-dimmer-dimmest mode etc. In Police work I just want to turn it on with one click at the brightest level,quickly. I'll dim it later to save battery power if I need to and with a simple quarter twist of the head it goes into its dimmer mode. The tail switch is great for 1 handed operation. Simplicity is key to survival under stress. I compared this one to all the other Fenix lights and decided on this one for the above reasons.
Well, when I demonstrated it to my Police friends at night 2 of them ordered that same day. They had never seen such a small light be so incredibly bright.
Buy yourself one, You'll be glad you did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great, affordable light from Fenix!, September 29, 2011
I recently got the Fenix E11 and I am quite happy with what I got!

Pros:
- Good texture, my grip doesn't slip and the design easily fits in the hand
- Simple user interface with two modes selected by tightening or loosening the bezel; forward-clicky tail switch allows for momentary on or pressing it all the way for constant on - great for tactical purposes
- All controls on the light are accessible with one hand (mode, activation)
- 1 AA makes finding replacement batteries easy
- Hotspot is a decently shaped circle

Cons:
- Light does have a few artifacts
- The spill beam isn't bad, but not that significant
- Tail switch makes a little "pop" noise, like there is an air gap between the switch and the rubber boot

The size may be a little big for carrying in a front jeans pocket, but if you've got larger pockets it's a decent EDC light with plenty of power. The cons mentioned don't really impact performance and the light does a great job of lighting up a dark room or finding your way walking the dog. Its compact size lends itself well to storing in a backpack, emergency kit, or the glove compartment.

The two light modes are excellent; "high" is bright enough for when you absolutely need to see what you're doing (though it won't set any trees in the distance on fire) and "low" is great for reading maps or looking through a dark closet. The beam itself is a bit of a 'flood' light, but with some decent throw.

Durability-wise, it seems pretty solid and the battery doesn't rattle inside when shaking it (which is good for reliability if it ever gets dropped or smacked around). While I probably wouldn't stick this on a 12 gauge and don't ever intend to, it seems tough enough for daily application and could stand up to some rough treatment.

Before purchasing, I had read rumors that the light had a green or bluish tint and that due to it being more of an 'economy' model, the quality control for the diode placement left it off-center, affecting the quality of the beam. However, after turning it on and checking out the beam, I can say it is most defintely a white light and the beam pattern is not off-center. While there's a chance that I may have just gotten lucky, my experience with other Fenix products makes me think that the quality of E11 that I received is the norm.

If you need a light with more power, a better spot and spill beam, longer run time, better throw, and don't mind a little extra length for around the same price, go for the Fenix E21 (also available on Amazon).

However, if you're looking for a smaller, more portable light that is bright enough for most uses, easy to operate, and that does its job well, then I'd definitely recommend giving the E11 a look. I know I don't regret buying mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, easy to use mini-flashlight., January 12, 2012
I just received my Fenix E11 flashlight ordered here from Amazon and I am very happy with this item. I'm here to clear up a couple of the operational features and give my overall impressions of this quality product. I own other Fenix flashlights but this is my first E11. It won't be my last as it fits many of my needs perfectly and is another quality product from Fenix.

Switch type: the switch on this flashlight is rubber covered button on the tail of the flashlight and is a positive click-type switch. Click on, click off. In addition, when the beam is off, you can press the switch slightly and the beam will come on and will go off when the switch is released. This is ideal for just a "quick, quiet peek" or for signaling. I like this type of switch a lot but if you are going to pack the flashlight into a situation where it could get jammed against something else, it is conceivable that the "quick on" feature could be inadvertently activated and the battery could be worn down by mistake. In that case, you may want to consider other Fenix flashlights that have a "twist on/off" switch mechanism instead. I prefer the E11's click on/off switch type for my uses as it is super easy to turn on/off with one hand.

High/Low beam settings: 105 lumens on high, 32 lumens on low. Low is still outstanding with plenty of light for most short range applications. As you might expect, high is about 3x brighter and lights up a long throw considerably better. On a dark night, on high, I can easily see every board in my 6 foot high wood privacy fence at 40 yards away. I like the low beam setting for everyday use as it is plenty of light and much easier on the battery but it is nice to know the high setting is there if you need it.

High/Low beam switching: couldn't be easier. The head of the flashlight unscrews completely to allow battery replacement. When you screw the head down, screw it down all the way down snug and you have the high beam setting. Back the head off just slightly, about 1/10th of a turn, and you have the low beam setting. It is easy to see the difference when the beam is on. Just leave it at your preferred setting and you will always be ready for your next use.

Beam Quality: my flashlight gives off a very good beam pattern with a nice size central bright spot and an even, quick falloff. The light is very white with only the very slight tint toward blue that the LED bulbs normally have. At night, in the dark, looking close up on my hand I can see every detail very clearly. Looking around a dark room the far walls light up very well and going outside I can find my way through urban or natural environments with ease.

Battery type: one AA battery. Not supplied. I like flashlights that use the inexpensive and easy to find AA and AAA batteries.

Battery run time: about 2 hours on high beam, about 8 hours on low beam.

Size: This size has a great feel in your hand. If you take two AA batteries and stack them end to end, this flashlight is just a touch shorter (about 3mm)than that stack and just a little bigger around. If you set a AA battery on a dime, the dime will show you how much bigger around the flashlight is (not much). The flashlight is big enough to be comfortable in my large hands but small enough to be extremely portable. This Fenix E11 is just a little larger than I like to carry in my pocket with my keys as a part of my everyday carry (EDC) but is perfect to throw in my car glove compartment, my briefcase, a drawer or shelf around the house or as a part of any emergency kit. For my EDC, I use the smaller Fenix EO1 even though I like the E11 feature set better. Some people will have no problem using the E11 for an EDC flashlight and I may try it out myself.

Accessories: comes with a nice lanyard/wrist strap, extra "O" ring and extra rubber boot cover for the tail switch. I put the lanyard on and I like it but it remains to be seen if I can keep track of the other pieces for if and when I ever need them. The "O" ring goes around the threads in the threaded head of the flashlight that screws on the body when you replace the battery. The "O" ring helps seal out water from the body interior.

Construction: If you know Fenix flashlights, you know these are solidly built, well constructed items. The E11 is the same and the all black finish on the hard-anodized, aircraft-grade aluminum just reeks of quality. I particularly like this flashlight's very clean, no-nonsense lines.

Candle mode: some Fenix flashlights will stand easily on end and shine upwards into a room in what is known as "candle mode". Because the rubber switch button on the flashlight's tail protrudes slightly, this E11 model will not easily stand up on its own. The trade off of the nice, easy-to-use tail switch is worth it for me and I can almost always find something to just lean the flashlight up against if I need to use candle mode.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this flashlight and will be purchasing several more to tuck away in various places around my home and car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light for little children, October 18, 2011
I bought 5 of these recently - 2 for cars to have in glovebox, 1 for my room for emergency and 2 for children. My boys - ages 4 and 3, broke the little maglites they liked playing with, and love these as replacements. Easy to turn on and off for the little hands. They took them to the bath and played with them there, so the waterproof claim is indeed true, at least for half hour in the bath. They don't get hot, with just the one little AA battery. Great little light overall.

I got the E21 for myself and it's also a nice light.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot of Light for the Money, 5 Stars for a Value Buy, October 24, 2011
Paul W. (KL, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
In layman-speak, a traditional flashlight design would have the LED centered in a cone-shaped metallic coated reflector topped off with glass or clear plastic sheet, with empty space in between. Now this design is radically different, no metal coated reflector used, no sheet of clear glass or plastic at the top, no empty space in between. Instead it uses a solid chunk of clear lens material between the LED all the way to the top, specially angled so that light gets reflected off the clear conical sides just as in a traditional reflector. Because light passes through the denser lens material instead of empty space, it gets refracted and results in more of a diffuse flood style beam, with a wider hotspot that is gentler to the eyes. Try shining a beam of light through a half-inch thick clear transparent acrylic sheet, and you will get an idea of the output light quality.

I have confirmed that overall it really is brighter than my Fenix LD10 (100 lumens) when run side by side, despite its more diffuse hotspot. But this design does produce an artifact - when you shine it on a flat surface, you'll notice 2 faint shadow lines projected in between the hotspot and the edge at 4 o'clock & 8 o'clock angles much like the whiskers of a cat - if you look for it. By examining the LED I can see that the two lines are actually metal connectors to the LED, which unfortunately gets projected out as two faint shadow lines in the beam profile. But, if you are like most people and are more interested in the object shone upon rather than artifacts in the light, then the two faint lines will hardly be noticeable.

While pocket sized, the length is nearer to 4 inches, so I would say that for everyday carry, another model, the Fenix E05 at 2.5 inches in length is a much better choice. Although the E05 runs on a single AAA battery and outputs 27 lumens only, it is noticeably smaller, lighter and has an even more diffuse flood beam than this - it is the flashlight that truly belongs right next to your keys.

Nevertheless, I bought 4 of these flashlights for the family, because build quality is above average, it has a simple tailpiece clicky switch, is slim and lightweight, runs on a single AA battery and at 105 lumens, really does give a lot of light for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW., November 21, 2011
Very surprised the amount of good quality light this puts out considering the size. I was so impressed I bought 2 more! Build quality also seems very good after a couple weeks use.

Update- I now carry this EDC in a great fitting holster that slips onto belt next to iphone seen here.

Mini Ultrafire Flashlight Holster Belt Carry Case

This setup works great for winter carry when it's dark early, I highly recommend this setup!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim and Compact 1AA Battery Flashlight with Tail Clicker Switch, November 16, 2011
When the third Inova X1 flashlight that I got under Inova's lifetime warranty started having switch problems like the first two flashlights had, I recall thinking that it was too bad that Fenix did not have a 1-AA battery flashlight that was as slim and compact as the Inova X1, with a tailcap clicker switch (preferably a forward or positive or "tactical" clicker switch with momentary on capability instead of a twist on-off switch), but with more than one brightness setting and with a less slippery body. Although the Inova X1 now has a dual mode version, there may still be a switch problem (someone pointed out in a comment that the warranty was changed to be more limited for switch problems), so I did not buy another Inova. Unfortunately, although the 1-AA battery Fenix L1T and LD10 flashlights are handy to carry, and the LD10 has multiple settings, they are thicker and not as compact as the Inova X1. So when the Fenix E11 came out, it seemed to be the perfect Inova X1 replacement and I decided to try the E11. Now that I have been using the E11 for a while, for many of the reasons given in the other reviews, I like it very much as my everyday carry flashlight.

I also noticed that the circuitry for the so-called constant brightness works a bit better in the E11 than the LD10 -- I had noticed that the LD10 gets noticeably dimmer as the battery drops from full charge and does not maintain a constant level of brightness. When I put an older used AA alkaline battery in both flashlights, the E11 produces a brighter light from the older battery than the LD10 does. Both flashlights produce noticeably brighter light when the batteries are new, but the E11 produces a brighter light with older batteries, so I use my older batteries in my E11 around the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light, just a pocket clip short of perfection, April 14, 2012
Alberto Vargas (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fenix E11 high performance LED flashlight (Sports)
Fenix keeps introducing newer and better models of flashlights, and this is my current favorite. It is small, bright, affordable, and easy to use.

Pros:

- Uses common AA batteries, including rechargeables.
- Forward clicky, which means you can temporarily press the switch to get a short burst of light, or click all the way for continuous light mode.
- Slimmer and shorter than most click-button AA lights, which makes it easier to carry in your pocket.
- Super easy to use, only two modes. Click for on or off. To get low output, loosen the head. To get high output, tighten the head all the way in.
- Useful light output (32 or 105 lumens) and great battery life.
- Floody beam, more useful indoors than the narrower hotspot of many (most?) higher end flashlights.

Cons:

- No pocket clip. I can't imagine what Fenix were thinking here. Almost all of their flashlights, from tiny to huge, have at least optional pocket clips. I discovered that the clip from a Fenix LD10 can be made to fit this light, although not as securely as desired.
- Switch button protrudes and makes it impossible for the light to tailstand (can't be put like a candle on a table).

Without a pocket clip, this light is not as convenient to carry daily, and it also rolls around easily. You can make your own pocket clip, or cannibalize one from an older light, which is what I did.

For the price, I think this is an awesome light. I am very happy with its size, brightness, and simple UI.

Overall verdict: Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for EDC, October 26, 2011
Perfect sized and brightness for edc. Put in pocket when i know ill be out in the dark and the low mode is perfect. the high is very bright. perfect for distance. great small light.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite EDC light so far, October 18, 2011
This little guy is awesome. It operates off of a common AA battery, has crazy battery life, and surprising throw for the lumen count. I can use this guy when walking my dog at night and it can through pretty far down the greenbelt by our house.

Fenix E11 high performance LED flashlight