Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

I almost didn't purchase this flashlight because it used AA batteries. I have a lot of LED flashlights ranging from the powerful blinding beams to the smaller ones. I prefer the flashlights that use 18650 batteries as they are so much brighter and I have not had a good experience with AA battery powered LED versions. Since it was made by Fenix and I like that brand I went ahead. I am glad I did.

This little monster just pumps out the light. Please look at my video to see the flashlights performance and features. It is really a great performer and it is very high quality. I compared it in my tests to two other flash lights and there simply is no comparison using AA batteries. This flashlight just blows away the competition.

It is very high quality aircraft aluminum and it is anodized dark black for a nice look. It comes with two spare O-rings, a replacement rubber tail switch cap and a lanyard. The flashlight has two levels of brightness and they are high beam at 170 lumens for 2 hours and 15 minutes and 54 lumens for at low beam for 11 hours on a set of fresh AA batteries. The manual says 170 lumens and I believe it. (The web says 150 lumens high and 48 low.) The tail switch turns on the flashlight and you can lightly touch it to keep it on as long as you touch it and when your release it then it goes off. You can also firmly press it and it will come on and stay on. If you slightly twist the lens cap the flashlight will go to low beam.

The flashlight has built in protection circuitry to prevent damage from inserting the batteries backwards. It also regulates the flashlight to maintain the same level of brightness over the life of the batteries. The reflector is a deep well mirror surface that creates a nice lighted flood area with a very bright hotspot in the middle. (See the video) The beam will travel about 145 yards.

My only three minor negatives are:
* The flashlight comes with the O-rings and the metal threads ungreased with silicone grease. I have found that using silicone grease prevents the threads from galling, protects the O-rings and keeps them from rolling and improves the water tightness of the flashlight.
* The tail switch button extends beyond the base of the flashlight and so the flashlight will not stand on its end in a candle stick mode.
* The flashlight kit does not come with a flashlight belt holder which is useful to carry it.

This is a 5 star product and it is the best of the AA flashlights that I have tried. I recommend it to you.
55 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2013
I usually buy Fenix TK models because they are tough and take a beating in my adventures in the rainforest. But I wanted to try out this slimmer E21 model for a comparison. The quality is top-notch and the feel is really nice. The TK models are thick and with a bit more weight. The E21 is lighter in your hand and is perfect for using around the house as a go-to flashlight. It's compact enough to fit in a purse, though it may be a bit too long for some. Though not as solid as the TK, the E21 is not wimpy and should be a reliable torchlight for years.

If you want toughness, go with the TK. If you want a lighter, more general use flashlight that comes streamlined and sturdy, then try the E21.
on November 14, 2012
I purchased this light after I had destroyed 4 other name brand flashlights on deployment in Afghanistan. This light has been dropped, beaten, left in the rain, basically abused. I have had it for a year now and carry it everyday in my pocket with keys knocking it into walls as I walk and it continually takes it in stride. I cant recommend this light enough purely on durability.

That being said it does not have 2 settings as advertised or at least mine doesn't. Mine has extremely bright and nearly as bright. Just guessing I have about 180 lumens and 165 lumens. This makes the light useless for when I need low light to preserve my night vision or not wake up my girlfriend when I'm stumbling through the bedroom.
on September 2, 2013
I work for the railroad in all weather conditions and this flashlight is tough, bright and small but always works. The price seemed high at first since I never had a Fenix I was skeptical but I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
on July 30, 2013
I needed a flashlight to take kayaking (just an emergency precaution as we sometimes go out in the evenings. I wanted a bright light that was also waterproof. This light is amazing. The only negatives are very minor. If you add the wrist strap you can no longer stand the light up on it's end. The other is that after you have run it for a while the whole flashlight warms up. I was surprised by this since it's an LED and I assume it's the batteries that are getting hot and heating up the rest of the body. Besides this I am very happy with it. Great light for the price.
on October 8, 2014
This flashlight takes 2 AA batteries and has two levels of brightness. Brightness level are changed by rotating the front hood. The light is turned on/off with a rubber button in the tail. The button can be clicked on/off or pressed halfway for a momentary on. If you are familiar with MagLights of 10 or 20 years ago, this flashlight is astoundingly better in terms of brightness. I keep this flashlight on my dresser and use it if I need to roam the house at night. I showed it off on a campout and my fellow Scouters seemed impressed. No one had a brighter light, though some had bigger lights. Battery life is very good too, though I can't cite specs.
on January 26, 2014
I ordered two of these flashlights for hunting. I ordered them early so I could test them out. They throw out a great light and they work as advertized. I have used both of them every night for five weeks ( about one hour a night) and they are still on their original batteries and are still bright. These are a bit expensive, but very well built. I now trust them to take on a hunting trip.
on April 17, 2014
Use this light all the time. Bright, good pattern, definitely worth the money. Use a push button on the bottom for On/OFF, so if you don't like this then it could be a problem. I slide the head into it's sheath on my bag and then attach the keeper over the top. Works great and I don't have to worry about it accidentally being on.
on December 21, 2014
An unbelievable little light. Batteries last a long time on low power and unlike lights where you have to scroll through different leveles of intensity, with the E21 you just twist the lens. I love it and will probably buy some more.
on August 28, 2013
The Fenix E21 is a very nice light. It is extremely well built and simple to use. Has a high mode and a low mode (low is about 75% of the output). I was shipped a version 4 that now has an advertised output of 170 lumens. I bought this light because it runs on AAs. I use it for a bike light at night. The beam is a touch spotty, but works well.