5.0 out of 5 stars Good EDC flashlight to carry on your person
Published on October 27, 2009 by Richard Gary

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't get what all the hype is about, I really don't.
Published on November 28, 2010 by A. Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Good EDC flashlight to carry on your person, October 27, 2009
Richard Gary (Palo Alto, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
The Fenix E01 is so small and light that you are likely to keep it handy, which makes it more useful than the flashlight you left home. Mine weighed in at approx. 0.95 oz. with the battery installed. The body diameter is about the same as an AA battery (it takes one AAA battery), but about 1/3 longer. It would easily be at home on a keychain if you like keychains with extra things hanging off them. It also will quite comfortably fit in a pocket.

Of course, it's a natural for a purse or fanny pack. Another reviewer commented that the reflector collected lint, which I didn't understand until I got the light. There is no lens covering the reflector. Therefore, if the flashlight is knocking around in a purse, I could see how the reflector could end up collecting lint. On the other hand, there is no lens to crack or get scratched up.

The light turns on and off with a twist of the ring surrounding the reflector. There's no button to push. There is no high or low beam. It's simply on or off.

Given some of the earlier reviews, I expected this light to be brighter than it is. I tested the light on an unlit staircase at night and found that all seven stairs to the landing were well illuminated. The corona around the hotspot covered the entire width of the steps. Going outside, I found the light to be adequate for illuminating a path while walking outside at night, but don't expect it to "throw" its beam any significant distance. There is a hotspot in the center of the beam, but more even and wider than the hotspot from an incandescent mini-MagLite. The hotspot has a lavender tinge to it, but the corona is fairly white.

The flashlight is designed so that it can be stood on its end and used like a candle, with the beam aimed at the ceiling. Doing this at night, I found it dimly illuminated a 20 x 30 foot room. The lighting was sufficient to easily see all the furniture and avoid bumping into anything, but most people wouldn't be able to read, of course. Used as a candle in such a large room (600 square feet), it's more like a night light on steroids. Used as a candle in a normal-sized room, like my bedroom, the room is more brightly illuminated (not simply like a night light on steroids). Used as a flashlight in a bedroom or closet, it works quite well.

I compared the beam to that of a lower-end flashlight that I bought at a local retailer. The lower-end flashlight has 9 LEDs and three AAA batteries so it is not surprising that it offers better light (a brighter and wider hotspot) than the Fenix E01 (which uses one AAA battery and has one LED). The lower-end flashlight is cheaply made. For example, the on/off button for the lower-end flashlight doesn't always work the first time. And it's bulkier. The lower-end flashlight's claim to fame in this case is that it cost $2.99 (and came with three AAA batteries).

Given that cost difference, why is the Fenix E01 a fair value? Because its compact size and light weight make it much more convenient to carry it on you at all times. (Carrying something on your person every day is sometimes referred to as Every Day Carry, or EDC.) In addition, its more reliable construction adds value.

One reviewer suggested keeping one of these lights in emergency kits. I can't agree with that. If I were preparing an emergency kit, I would want at least a 2-cell flashlight with variable light output that has AA batteries, which offer the potential for more light output or greater battery life (and maybe both). Of course, those flashlights with variable light output are more expensive, but I am confident that a simple, fixed-output, well-made 2-cell LED flashlight that uses AA (not AAA) batteries can be found at close to the price of the Fenix E01.

If you are not going to EDC this flashlight (say, for example, you intend to keep the flashlight in a desk drawer or in a glove compartment), then you might be better off with a 2-cell flashlight where you get better performance and don't pay a premium for small size. Furthermore, while the Fenix E01 is light, a slightly longer flashlight would probably be easier to carry in hand for an extended period of time.

One plus of the light not being too bright is that it makes it easier to read in the dark printed materials that are illuminated by the light. A dimmer light is also more useful when you're crawling under a desk trying to read the labels for jacks on the back of a computer. Sometimes the brighter light will cause glare that makes reading difficult. And if the flashlight is used to navigate a darkened bedroom at night without disturbing your sleeping partner, being less brilliant is better.

All in all, this is an excellent flashlight if you want to carry a small, lightweight light with you at all times. For nightstand use, it can't be beat.

UPDATE:

I also have taken this light with me when traveling, and it is perfect for a carry-on bag when flying. It takes up almost no room and the weight is insigificant. When traveling, I keep it in my pocket, and it is fine for illuminating a path. I was in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, the streets and sidewalks are paved with stones, which can be quite irregular (not to mention the occasional hole), and the street lighting is not consistent. I put the Fenix into my pocket when going out at night and didn't even notice that the flashlight was there. But when I needed it, it was perfect for the task. My sister was using a MagLite Solitaire, which was pathetically dim in comparison.

At this price, my only complaint is that the round body allows the flashlight to roll too easily. I have to be careful when placing it on a nightstand that it doesn't roll off, particularly when I reach for it in the dark and hit it with a finger but can't grasp it. To keep it from rolling, I put it next to something that will keep it in place.

As evidence of my opinion of this product, I'm buying another one to give to my sister.

FURTHER UPDATE:

I have finally figured out a cheap and simple way to keep the flashlight from rolling. I took a split ring and attached it to the base of the flashlight. A split ring is often used to attach keys to each other or something else. In my case, I took a split ring that was used to attach my car key to a parking stub and used that. (You can't get cheaper than free!) It's about the size of a nickel, and being of thin wire, it weighs almost nothing. There is a small hole at the base of the flashlight that that allows you to fit one end of the ring through, and then you just turn the ring until it's all the way on. The hole in the base is really small though, and a more substantial split ring might not fit.

If I flip the split ring on under the flashlight when I lay it down, it won't roll. If the split ring is not flipped underneath, then the flashlight will roll a little, but the ring usually stops it after a few revolutions. Having the ring on the base of the flashlight makes it easier to fish the light out of a sleeve in my carry-on bag that I slip the light into. The ring does not interfere with standing the light on its base so it can be used in candle mode.

I have updated my rating to five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best Personal Emergency Light, July 12, 2009
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
There are brighter lights, there are larger lights, and there are much costlier lights. I know, because I own all of the above and many more. But, this little gem cannot be beat for a very lightweight, bright-enough keyring light that you can always have with you, that you can turn on and leave on for over ten hours with constant brightness, and then still have another five hours of fading but still usable light to read a map with or signal with. All this for the cost of a single AAA battery.

This is the light to keep in your pocket all the time. And, at this price, you can afford to keep one for each family member in case of power outage or other emergency. It's as simple as that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good keychain LED, February 28, 2009
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
Fenix offers two keychain LED's. The E01 is a good light that I'm happy with, I also bought the Fenix LOD for another set of keys. If budget price is what your after in an LED, get the E01, you won't be disappointed. If your looking for the brightest and different light settings get the LOD, more money but a far superior light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little flashlight for everyday carry, May 7, 2010
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
I was looking for an LED companion for my Maglite Solitaire. Some people say the Solitaires are great, some people hate them. Truth is, mine fills a niche. But on to the Fenix.

Fenix and 4Sevens have done some amazing things with single AAA "keychain" flashlights in recent years.

With Fenix's E01, L0D, and LD01 and 4Seven's Preon I, they've introduced us to a new era in single AAA flashlights.

I have a 1977 Eveready "Little Commander" single AA flashlight. I'd estimate it puts out around 0.5-1.0 lumens. A single AAA Maglite Solitaire will put out 2.3 lumens (for around 2-3 hours).

This wonderful little Fenix E01 puts out about 10 hours of 10 lumens (so-called sunlight mode) and about 10 hours of, well, something less, for 10 more hours (so-called moon mode).

Remember how I said the Maglite Solitaire still had it's place in my routine? Well that place is reading while my wife is asleep next to me. The Fenix is much too bright for that, and I don't fancy keeping a dying battery on hand so it'll run itself in "moon mode". I wish they'd include the lower mode at will. One thing I absolutely love about the 4Sevens flashlights (oddly enough this feature is NOT on the Preon I) are their "moonlight" modes, which on their CR123 lights put out 0.2-0.4 lumens for around 30 days. Now that's a nice feature. I would honestly never have said I'd only need 0.2 lumens, but I see the benefit of it now.

Back to the E01.

It's very bright, very well built, and very affordable. You can pick up a Maglite Solitaire at Lowe's for around $7 including tax. This ran me $11.

Considering the "moon" mode is basically just a low battery indicator since it can't be summoned at will, we'll just say that this flashlight has a 10 hour battery life.

That's great, especially considering the Solitaire's runtime of around 2-3 hours.

This light is water, although I don't see how (see gripes below).

I prefer forward clicky-style on buttons, but this light's twisty-on works perfectly, although I think that the "on" position could cover more of a revolution around the head. It's about an eighth now, perhaps a quarter would do better?

I've never had a problem with it turning itself on in my pocket.

It's construction is top notch. It came with an extra o-ring and a keychain loop.

Gripes:

1) Nothing in front of LED: There is no window (lens if you will) in front of the LED, which means you'll be blowing lint out of it often.

2) The LED exhibits a purple hue in the center of the beam. It's VERY noticeable, although it does nothing to affect the usefulness of the light. It's just the nature of the LED they chose to use. Also prominent is the shape of the hotspot. The LED has two dies that sit next to each other. When projected onto a wall it exhibits a defined (yet blurry) rectangle shape. Not distracting, just noticeable.

3) This really isn't a gripe, but rather a comment: The light uses a focused LED, which means unlike the Fenix L0D and LD01 and 4Sevens Preon I, the reflector doesn't do too much reflecting. I understand that it's cheaper, and I wouldn't change it, but it's worth bringing up.

All in all I love this light and I highly recommend it. If you're looking for something this small in a much more powerful package try the Fenix LD01R2, 3 Level High Performance CREE LED Flashlight or the Quark Preon 1 Stealth Black 70-Lumen Cree XP-G R5 LED Flashlight. Both of those are fantastic lights and are rated at almost 100 lumens (i.e., about as much as an old 3 D-cell Maglite).

-------- (6/4/11) UPDATE --------

This light is still running strong and still amazes me with its ability to operate on batteries that were previously thought dead.

Even with the plethora of single AAA lights on the market (4Sevens' Preon 1 and Preon ReVO; various other Fenixs, including the E05; Maratac's line of excellent AAA lights; etc.) this one still fills its own little niche that nearly everyone has need for.

-------- (10/8/12) UPDATE --------

This light is still chugging along just as reliably as the day I got it. You seriously can't go wrong with it. Even in lieu of newer lights, this one still holds its own in terms of efficiency and reliability.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't get what all the hype is about, I really don't., November 28, 2010
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
I needed a small flashlight with good battery life to go in my camera bag when I need to take my equipment out at night. I read all the reviews and it sounded like this was the best bang for the buck. I excitedly popped in my AAA battery and gave it a test fire. Not very bright.. but at the time it was still daytime. Night rolls around and I finally have a chance to test it out in real-world conditions. I'm completely unimpressed. I have small, flat keychain button cell LED flashlights that are twice as bright as this.. and I got them for 20 cents each, batteries included. I wasn't expecting anything super bright considering the battery life and the fact that it only uses 1 AAA.. and yet this still left me underwhelmed.

As for the design.. I would have preferred a flashlight that had a button or switch to turn it on, rather than screwing the top. That's just a matter of preference, not necessarily a flaw. But there is, however, a flaw in the design that I'm really not too thrilled about. The flashlight is perfectly round. I've only owned it a day and it's rolled off my table twice already when I set it down. Why can't Fenix give one part of the light a hexagonal shape so it doesn't roll? This seems like such an obvious and simple thing to do.

The light emitted has a strong purplish-blue tint. Again, not that important, but a minor complaint nonetheless.

There's no protective glass/plastic over the LED at the end of the light, the LED itself fully exposed. This probably isn't too big a deal, and also keeps it from losing any light. But there IS a chance of something going in there and knocking the LED out of alignment or breaking it.

I'm simply not impressed. The only thing I'm really happy about with it is the battery life.. and for that reason alone I'm probably going to keep it with my camera gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, May 21, 2010
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
UPDATE: After five months of regular use, the light is starting to fail. I now have to thump it hard against my hand for it to turn on. Apparently the pressure-sensitive contact switch is wearing out. I've downgraded my rating from 5 to 3 stars; the light was great while it lasted. It ran four months on one battery.

It's significantly smaller than a Maglight Solitaire, yet much brighter. And almost as cheap. Yes, it's not the brightest bulb on the block. But it's plenty bright enough for typical, casual flashlightery. If you really needed anything brighter, it probably wouldn't be in your pocket.

As others have remarked, the light has a noticeably bluish cast. But I consider that just one of its many "cool" features.

UPDATE TO MY UPDATE: After a couple weeks of fussing with the switch, I pulled the spring out from the tube (warning: it's not easy, and is even harder to replace). I then scraped the bottom and top of the spring with a nailfile, and reamed some corrosion out of the inner end of the tube. This restored the light to perfect working order. Back to 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, handy, May 10, 2010
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
If you take this light for its intended purpose -- a handy, easily carried keychain light -- then it's quite perfect. The light is quite a bit brighter than many similarly sized AAA LED flashlights (though not the brightest). It's durably constructed of good materials, and is reasonably priced. The E01 includes the flashlight, a small keyring and a spare washer. It does not include a AAA battery as do most other lights in its price range (not a big deal, of course, as a AAA is quite inexpensive... but a AAA is quite inexpensive and it would be nice if they threw one in :D ).

I am pleased with the overall construction and light output. The size fits well on a keychain, and that in itself makes up for some other things. I often find myself peering inside computers or near the water at night and having a light is a necessity. A few months ago I found myself stranded on a stretch of the Florida Turnpike just north of Ft. Pierce. There were no streetlights in the area and it was comforting to be able to use my keychain light to illuminate the back of my vehicle for the occasional passing car and to see the ground in front of me. The tool you have with you is the best tool there is.

Minor quibbles are that you turn the light on by twisting the barrel. Not a big deal, but I prefer a switch. Unlike cheaper lights such as the Maglite Solitaire, it's tight enough that it won't accidentally turn on in your pocket. The Solitaire also has a tendency to work loose at the keychain end. This one *shouldn't* do the same, but time will tell. Last minor quibble is that there is no clip. Though I carry one on my keychain, a clip would make this perfect so that I could carry it in my shirt pocket as I do my Leatherman Monarch 300.

All said, I am pleased with this flashlight and will purchase a few more as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pocket Flashlight, May 26, 2010
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
I bought this item to replace the MagLite penlight I'd been carrying for years. I was never too happy with the MagLite, as it was too dim even on a fresh battery. Now that I have the Fenix, I am astounded at how bright its light is. It seems to me to be the perfect pocket flashlight: small enough to carry around in your pocket day in and day out without the least inconvenience and yet it throws a very bright light when you need it. Is it as bright as a big flashlight? No, of course not. But it provides more than enough light for any purpose you might reasonably need a pocket flashlight for. The quality of construction is impressive. The water-seal o-ring has the additional benefit that there is a nice positive feel to it when you are twisting the flashlight on and off; plus, this means you can expect this penlight will NOT accidentally come on while it's in your pocket. I am VERY pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent key chain flashlight, May 7, 2010
PC Mountain (Fort Myers, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
I have a similar Fenix flashlight and liked it so much that I bought this one too. I like this one even better because it's even smaller and lighter than my LD01 and almost as bright. The E01 is now on my key chain and I carry the other one in my pocket when I want a brighter light. Operation is a simple twist of the front. It's hard to find a flashlight of this quality at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mini Flashlight, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black (Sports)
The Fenix E01 is far brighter than the Maglite Solitaire I used to carry, and feels tougher, too. The E01 does have a purplish hue, but it's not too bad, and I don't find it distracting. Definitely get this if you need a small light you can comfortably keep in your pocket at all times.

Fenix FNX-E01BK E Series LED Flashlight, Black