Showing 1-10 of 277 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on October 11, 2010
I got this light as a backup for my headlamp and wanted a durable, bright LED that took AA batteries so I can run all three lights I take with me on the same AA NiMh rechargeables and don't need different sets of batteries for each. I took this light on a caving trip last weekend and was impressed with the throw and also the durability of this light. I got about 6 hours of use on a set of 2100mah batteries in constant 45 degree temps, mostly using the lower lumen setting but freqeuntly using the 150 lumen setting for brief periods to look for routes or view high cave ceilings or distant features. I know there are brighter lights available and there are lights with more specific features, but this light is well made (dropped on rock w/o any damage other than a nick in the aluminum bezel. ran at good intensity util it was time to change batteries then still provided good light but would not switch to the high setting until I changed batteries. the lower lumen setting was still brighter than my black diamond halogen headlamp and at high, has more light with a better throw than my 3D cell Maglite. the reflector on the Fenix is much better that the Mag so the light is also more usable with a good combination of bright center beam with a fair amount of general flood around it with no irritating rings or shadow in the beam. This light is not focusable, which would be a nice feature, but that is available in other models and at this price point the E21 is an outstanding light.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2011
This isn't your cheaply Made in China junk; it's high-quality Made in China junk.

Seriously though, the machining and finish are top notch, and is what I expected. The only thing that has me curious though is the high/low setting. The manual sez high is 150 lumens and low is 48 lumens.

However, you can hardly tell the change in intensity from the two positions. Either the light is super-efficient at low power, or low power is much more than 48 lumens.

I like that it is IP-x8 (IEC Standard 60529; Ingress Protection; adopted by ANSI-60529). The first digit "x" in the IP rating is the protection against foreign objects such as dust, and x = "not specified", or "don't care". The second digit '8' is the highest waterproof rating and means "Waterproof when immersed beyond 1m".

For those of you that are not familiar with them, the IP waterproof ratings are as follows:

0 = No Protection
1 = dripping water
2 = dripping water tilted up to 15 deg.
3 = spraying water (water spray tilted up to 60 deg).
4 = splashing water
5 = water jets
6 = power water jets
7 = immersion in water up to 1m
8 = immersion in water beyond 1m

If you want detailed information as to what those descriptions mean, google IEC 60529.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2010
Just got one of these.
At low power (48 lumens) its alot brighter and has a better throw than a 2nd generation 2AA LED Maglite, which is rated at 69 lumens. Go figure.
At high power (150 lumens), its like a car headlight. No kidding. Its stupid bright.
Its not focusable but its set for a perfect balance of spotlight
and flood. I can stand in the street in front of my house after dark and light up the stop sign 3 blocks away.
I was just up in the mountains and in the pitch dark forest
it can light up the woods like a search light.
Very solid and well made. Has a heft to it.
I know Fenix makes some more exotic lights that run on 2AA's
but how many people need a light with 6 different levels of brightness?
It seems to me this is all the light most people would ever need.
A steal at $35.00
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2011
I've used Fenix lights for years. They are made in China. This company builds high quality products. I've been waiting for a Surefire-like product that is affordable and takes AA batteries. Previously only 123A or other lithium based lights had enough output to be used in a defensive lighting situation. The E21 is the first 2-AA light to do this at a reasonable price point. Plus, you can lower the brightness level and use it as a general purpose light.

The build quality of this light is excellent. The operation is simple. There's not much else I can say about it. One negative for some might be that the light does not stand on its tail due to the switch protruding beyond the end of the body.
on January 10, 2011
Great throw ("tight" hot spot). Comfortable form factor. EXCELLENT "clicky" switch. In my cookie-cutter neighborhood, this light makes it easy to find kitty. Even if she's 8 doors down visiting one of her buddies, I can make her eyes glow.

Sits on the night stand. Useful should one find a need to disorient another. Tactical push-button tail cap switch works the way it should. I love this light.
on March 21, 2011
Excellent flashlight. I like the "just" on/off switch on the tail cap. I don't need to go thru 5 settings to get it to work! Excellent for my line of work (electrician), more than enough light. I spent hours searching and researching on the 'net for a good quality BRIGHT LED flashlight and this is the one. No complaints. Durable too, as I already dropped it a couple of feet in the first week that I owned it. If you buy this or any other high output LED flashlight, you really need HIGH capacity rechargeable battery's as it sucks them down. I bought a set of 4 rechargeable (2500 mAh) Ni-H for this use (2 always charged). It even has a GLASS lens. You won't be disappointed.

UPDATE 1/2013: Still alive and kicking.Use it more than any other flashlight that I own. You can't go wrong with this one.
on August 16, 2011
Who the heck is giving this 4 stars? There is nothing 4 star about this flashlight. There simply is not a better light for the size and price. Plus, it can take a beating.
on January 13, 2012
I admit I didn't do a great job researching flashlights before this purchase. It just seemed that my Maglites from 30 years ago were looking a little dim and maybe it was time to upgrade to an LED flashlight. I'd picked up two LED flashlights from Costco a few years ago. I was impressed by the light but the flashlights were poorly built. After reading a review on Amazon that putting an LED bulb into the Maglite was just a waste of money, I went by the reviews and price to find something I thought would be a nice everyday kinda light.

Boy, was I surprised! When the flashlight arrived, it was quite small and seemed like a mini light, not a full blown flashlight. Then I flashed myself in the eyes and had to sit down and blink for a few minutes because I couldn't see. This flashlight makes my Maglites look FEEBLE. It lights up the whole street at night and I wonder if I'm disturbing my neighbors. It's so small and easy to carry around. Just slip it into any old pocket and you're good to go. I've taken to traveling with it because it's so small. I don't worry about dropping it or immersion in water mostly because the build quality is so solid. It looks and feels as well built as the Maglites (and I'm wondering what to do with those), so I might as well use it.

However, a guy I know who is in the lighting business, recommended I don't stock up on LED's right now. Even if you need the flashlights, try and space out the purchases. The technology improves significantly every year. By now, I'm sure there is something better on the market. I can't wait to see what the next generation of flashlights can do.

A big thank you to all the Amazon reviewers who made this purchase swift, painless and the right choice.
on December 13, 2011
=Original Review=
The Fenix E-21 is a very solid flashlight and at a very palatable price. The beam is fairly tight and clean creating a decent hotspot with a decent throw. The spill over is bright enough to light up the entire area around the hot spot creating a searchlight effect. The throw is good up about 200 feet, any farther and it's just enough light to catch the outline of trees. Any closer than 20 feet and it is almost to bright. In a recent comparison of this light against the Maglite XL-200 I found the throw and intensity to be almost exactly the same. I do like the fact that this light runs off of two AA batteries. For the size and price it puts out a ton of light. The only thing I don't like about the electronics of this light is that it eats through batteries awfully fast if you use alkalines. This is probably because the Cree XP-E LED is not as efficient as their newer ones. I would suggest getting a set of rechargeable batteries to save in the long run.

The machining is very high quality, the light just feels rugged in your hand. It has a nice weight to it and the knurling is in all the right places yet it doesn't cut into your hand. The threading on the tail cap for the battery compartment feels a little thin and I worry about breaking it but that is probably just my misgivings. I have been using this light on duty for about a month now and have dropped it several times with next to no damage. It has been dropped in puddles and once in a creek about 3 ft deep and has held up fine. I also had to use it one day as a light in my shower when the bulb in there burnt out I had no spares. Though the light will get very warm (a plus on winter nights) after long periods of use. This is because the entire body of the flashlight is used as the heatsink for the LED.

The switch has a solid feel to it and sticks out past the end of the light making it easy to find when wearing gloves. The end of the rubber also has knurling on it so your thumb wont slip off when you try to turn it on. I will say that the click the switch makes is very loud though I get the impression that is from the solid design.

Some people have complained that there is not much of a difference between the high mode and low mode after a while. Well they are completely correct and I have found that changing the batteries tends to help. If you are using alkaline batteries they tend to get drained pretty damn fast (I have to change them out everyday couple days of use while on duty) and as they get lower in charge the light dims down to low mode and won't put out the full 150 lumens. This is because as the alkaline cells drain they tend to drop how many volts they put out therefore reducing the amount of lumens coming out of the light. As your batteries start dying you will begin to notice a smaller and smaller difference between the high and low mode. This is usually about when I change them out.

Besides using rechargeable batteries instead of alkaline there is not to much to change about this light. It as a nice solid feel, is completely waterproof, and has proved to me that it can take a beating. It wieghs next to nothing and puts out a ton of light. I have a feeling that this light will be in my bag for a long time to come.

Update 12-19-11 (Problems with switch)
I tend to wait a while before writing reviews to give what I buy a break in period, but I apparently did not wait long enough. I originally gave this flashlight an excellent review due to its high performance. Five days after my original review the switch developed an electrical problem and would occasionally not turn on. By the end of the day the switch stopped turning the light on all together. So while the light is a very good light, it appears that there are some issues in terms of the quality of parts used. Hopefully the switch is the only problem.

Update 12-19-11 (Fixed problems with switch)
I dropped this flashlight down to 2 stars because I began to experience an electrical problem with the switch. I spent about 5 minutes taking apart the switch and in the process learned that the contact plate screws into the switch housing. When you unscrew the switch housing from the battery housing and look in to see the spring you will see two little notch's in the aluminum. I used a bent fork to match the spacing in between them and tightened the plate down. This solved the issues with the switch. Even though it requires some maintaining I still feel that this is an excellent light. Like most things, you just need to take care of it once in a while.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 23, 2010
I got my E21 about a week ago, and it's still going on the first set of batteries (I use it every day). The 150 lumens (on high) runtime isn't exaggerated like some makers; it's really 150 lumens. Twist the head to switch between high and low mode, click for on or off. Very simple and effective. You can also half-press the tailcap switch for momentary on, and this can be your SOS/ strobe mode if you move your thumb fast enough. My E21 came with a smooth reflector, not an orange peel one; a very minor thing, but I would've preferred the OP reflector. Also, the light doesn't come with batteries, but AAs are so easy to find, it doesn't really matter. I've seen lower-quality lights advertised at higher lumens that cost more money, but this one is great. I'd buy another one at this price.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations