4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, multi-purpose powerhouse
Really wish this could be a five star review. This is a great little light, it's just slightly less than life-trustingly reliable. If form and function were all that were required, this would be THE light to buy.

Published on April 10, 2011 by Sherpa Benet

3.0 out of 5 stars Occasional power on issues.
This is a decent flashlight. I sometimes have a problem where the light will not turn on at the first button pretty, and I will need to untighten,retighten the top and then repress. It's annoying, but it happens infrequently so I'm not too bothered. Other than that, it's a great little light. It fits snugly in my pocket and is bright enough to light up a room. I work...
Published on September 14, 2012 by JD

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, multi-purpose powerhouse, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Fenix LD10 100 Lumens Waterproof LED Flashlight (Sports)

It's size is perfect for when you don't want to carry a full-size pocket light. It's about half the size of a SureFire tactical light or a MagLite.

It also gets points for functioning on a AA battery. With frequent daily use, this lasted a month on one lithium battery. Pretty good.

As an LED it remains cool and the bulb won't pop if you happen to drop the light while using it.

The best part, perhaps, are its 5 options for light. With the bezel moderately tightened, you get 3 levels of brightness at the push of a button, and a slow blinking S-O-S beacon for emergencies. Tighten the bezel all the way and you get the brightest setting and a strobe option. For dazzling opponents, or staging your own rave, I suppose.

In some instances it is inconvenient to have to push the button three times to get to the brightest level. It would be nice for it to "save" the last level used as some other similar models do.

The biggest concern is that it doesn't always light on the first push of the button. It seems the programming for the controls is faulty. There are times when you have to cycle through, clicking the switch 4 or 5 times before it comes on. For a light in the 50-70 dollar range this really shouldn't be acceptable.

I can't use this light where my life might rely on it instantly lighting (e.g. for personal defense situations), but as a tool for ultralight hiking on the trails, daily utilitarian purposes and such it's about the best in class.

I'd buy it again. But only for half the price I paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Flashlight, August 9, 2011
This review is from: Fenix LD10 100 Lumens Waterproof LED Flashlight (Sports)
I bought this flashlight after buying a Maglite XL100 and absolutely hating it. The Fenix LD10 is simple to operate, uses a single, widely available battery (AA), is very portable and looks pretty tacticool to boot. I know when I was looking online, it was hard to find an explanation as to how to operate the flashlight, so I'll tell you here. a single click of the button puts it into 3 lumen mode, a slight press of the button and back off brings it up to 30 something lumens, one more time brings it to around 50 lumens, and one last time brings it into SOS flashing mode. If you tighten the bezel all the way, it puts it into turbo mode, where a single click of the button will put it into 100 lumen mode, and a slight depress of the button again will put it into strobe mode. Honestly a very easy system to use once you get your hands on it. The clip is great, but removable if you don't want it. and the Anti Roll ring works quite well with or without the clip. All in all a great flashlight.

Edit: 2 years later

This thing is still my goto flashlight for pretty much anything i need a light for. Tough as nails and very bright. Clip is still perfect on it. I can't recommend this enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite light, March 23, 2011
Dr. Z (Gig Harbor, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fenix LD10 100 Lumens Waterproof LED Flashlight (Sports)
I have carried this light daily in my pocket for years. It is a fantastic size & quite bright for a single AA battery. Nice features with a defensive strobe & the ability to step down the brightness for regular uses. I wish I had the ability to make the strobe the first choice on activation which would make it a better defensive light. It comes with some extra parts which is a nice touch from Fenix. It does include a case (which I do not use) and a clip (which I prefer) and will not roll away with the faceted sides. It is durable enough to be dropped, dunked or mounted. The crenelated bezel on the front is nice (especially since it lets you know before the batteries are dead that it is on if when you put it face down on a flat surface). Using AA batteries is great since they are widely available and cheap to replace when the kids get a hold of the "good light" but then forget to turn it off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first one, how about another?, June 27, 2011
This review is from: Fenix LD10 100 Lumens Waterproof LED Flashlight (Sports)
The Fenix LD10 R5 is now being shipped.

Performance of the LD10 R5 according to their website is:
- Turbo, 100 lumens, 1 hour, 48 minutes
- Strobe, 100 lumens
- Low, 3 lumens, 70 hours
- Mid, 13 lumens, 11 hours
- High, 45 lumens, 4 hours, 40 minutes
- SOS, 45 lumens

The basic differences are slightly reduced output, longer run times, perhaps a little less efficient. I like the output range.

I was really happy with my first Fenix flashlight, an E21. But, it was a little too big and heavy for camping/hiking and there wasn't much difference between its two settings. So, the E21 got designated for home use. I wanted to give one of their smaller flashlights a try and decided on the LD10.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the LD10. It's light, sturdy and has a more diverse range of settings. The wide range of outputs allows for better battery management. On turbo, the single AA battery does get a work out and heats up pretty quickly.

I prefer the E21's neutral light color. The LD10 seems to have a slight green/blue tint (Not everybody is going to notice or object to this). The LD10 however, does include an anti-roll design, lanyard, holster and pocket clip. Shipped in an easy to open and reusable box, not the more difficult to open clam shell packaging.

My only concern is long term reliability. The tailcap is rather finicky. There is very little tolerance, it has to be tightened down all the way to work correctly. Unscrewing it even a degree or two and it cuts off or switches settings.

Very happy with my first two Fenix flashlights and plan on getting a few more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Little Lite, December 22, 2010
I'm not much on writing reviews but I had to do it on this Awesome flashlight. The Fenix LD10 R4 is a big surprise and by that I mean when you hold this little lite you really not expecting it to be as bright as a bigger strion from streamlight, but man Fenix light in my opinion blows the strion out of the water for the size and the use of only 1 AA battery. It is brighter, very easy to carry without the holster that is provided with it. I read some reviews where people knock a product for the dumbest things, I hope this review helps but remember if your not happy just return it for refund.I'm a Electrician so i have a lot of use for it, but even when I'm not working I still carry it in my pocket with no problem. Here in Florida it can get pretty dark with no street lights and it comes in handy when your at universal Studios and trying to locate your kids in the dark.

P.S I really think you would be very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars BLINDED BY THE LIGHT..., July 6, 2011
This review is from: Fenix LD10 100 Lumens Waterproof LED Flashlight (Sports)
I love this light! I primarily use it for when I'm walking my dog at night or jogging at night. It comes with a nice little lanyard which is great for ensuring that you don't accidentally drop it. Even if you did, this thing seems very durable. Fenix lights might be made in CHINA but don't you dare let this fool you, they are built like a tank! It runs on one Double A battery which is also a plus. Don't be fooled by this lights size either, this baby is brighter than a mutha!! It also has a GREAT battery life. It's got turbo mode, strobe mode, low mode, medium mode, high mode, and SOS mode. If you are ever walking alone during the night, I reckon this light could be even used as a weapon by blinding your target and running away or following up with a swift crack in the melon with the head of this flashlight (the head has concave-like edges for these tactical purposes, although the Fenix LD20 is better suited for this). One of my favorite aspects about this light though is the clip. The clip is VERY durable and sturdy. One little trick I found on youtube is if you take the clip off and turn it around, it can be secured to a ball cap acting as your own little head lamp! All in all, a great light if you are looking for something small, portable, and BRIGHT. If you want something a little bigger/brighter, get the Fenix LD20. If you something a little bigger/brighter then THAT, get the Fenix TK35.

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best all round EDC light ever made, January 14, 2011
J. Thomas "jimmyjames8" (Out on the Lost Highway) - See all my reviews
While a tad spendy at around $50, this is the swiss army knife of every day carry lights. Powered by 1 AA battery, tail stand base, clicky switch, pocket clip, mild crenelated head (really to see if you left the light on with the head down), it has all the features you want. AA battery is common and I leave a rechargeable in mine and take it on 1 hour walks early in the a.m. during warm weather. Swap the battery out of a 4 battery AA charger and it's good to go the next morning. 4 sevens makes a comparable size CR123a light but I leave it in my ready kit for travel. To me lithium batteries and lithium powered flashlights are for emergency and long term storage. A light powered by some sort of rechargeable battery is the way to go if you are really going to use it everyday. This is a 6 mode light and as such has a mode for every situation from reading in the dark to signaling for rescue and everything in between. As LED technology gets better, these lights get brighter. Look for an XML version in the near future. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have backup/everyday flashlight..., December 16, 2010
Two different modes

Mode one: Low power, good enough to read by.
Medium power, bright enough to walk down very dark stairs and feel comfortable.
High power, very bright, lights up walkways, rooms, garages.
Strobe, blinks morris code for SOS. Very good in an emergency

Mode two: Turbo power, lights up everything in a forty foot radius.
Strobe, very fast strobe light, extremly bright.

A must buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Years of faithful service, June 8, 2012
This review is from: Fenix LD10 100 Lumens Waterproof LED Flashlight (Sports)
I could've sworn I wrote a review on this light when I got it, but so much the better as I can write this review after 3 YEARS of nearly daily use both as a technician and as an avid backpacker and general outdoors guy. I have also bought many other high performance flashlights from Fenix, 4Sevens and others, so I can draw on that as well.

My primary use for this light is as my every day light, I work as an engineer/tech and use a flashlight every single day for work. This light remains my favorite despite having a drawer full of newer (and more expensive) lights for these reasons (speaking about utility use for the moment):

1) The recessed power button is very difficult to accidentally actuate and waste battery life. Plus it's awful embarrassing to have someone notice your light is on, which happens a lot with some of my other lights, particularly the ones with the "tactical" switches that are not recessed.

2) The default modes in the two bezel positions are IDEAL for utility work, and the ease with which you can step through the modes is a big plus and not to be underrated.

3) It will not move when you set it down. It cannot roll, and it is quite happy to sit on either end.

4) It's small, and with a lithium battery very light weight

5) With a lithium battery it lasts ages

6) The pocket clip is the ideal height, no worries about losing it but not clanging into things all the time either. Also, some of my other lights have shredded my pants with their bezel, but the LD10 doesn't for some reason.

7) The brightness levels are great and the order you access them in is well thought out.

I've also used this light a lot outdoors, on backpacking and kayaking trips mostly, and it shines there as well (no pun intended):

1) The white light cone is a HUGE, HUGE asset. It turns this into a very effective lantern. On low mode this light will burn for several days, and I almost always hang it from the gear loft of my tent or ridge line of my hammock and leave it on on the low setting all night. It's always still on in the morning, and I can see what I'm doing, even read a book at night while I get ready to sleep.

2) Despite every kind of abuse I've offered it, including salt water immersion, freezing water immersion, being left out all night in the cold, dropped, stepped on and everything else that tends to happen in camp or on the way there, it always works.

3) With the Fenix headband I've hiked many miles at night in pitch black using either this light or it's cousin the LD20 (which is really better suited for that sort of thing), and since it's both light weight and bright, it does the job. On high or turbo either light is as effective as any other headlamp on the market. But it's also a regular flashlight and a lantern, so in my book it's better than a dedicated head lamp.

[For the sake of fairness it should be said that many lights can be used with the Fenix headband, and I regularly use my 4Sevens Quark 123 with it too]

4) Between this, the LD20, the white Fenix light cone and the Fenix headband, you have my entire backpacking lighting system on several of my trips in recent years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good things do come in small packages., March 1, 2011
The diameter of this light fits comfortably into my hand. The end cap switch is easy to reach and makes changing brightness reflexive. It glides into my pocket where it is ready for use without being intrusive. Rugged? I use it almost daily in the rain, mud, barn, chicken coop, basement, auto, and in the home. No tool is more durable...except my hammer.

Fenix LD10 100 Lumens Waterproof LED Flashlight
$70.00 $61.00
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.