5.0 out of 5 stars Great EDC flashlight for a reasonable price, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
This light is not a "cheap" flashlight in terms of both cost and quality. However, it is still cheaper than most Surefire flashlights and Fenix flashlights seem to be very reliable despite being made in China. For the past couple of years, I was using the older Fenix LD10 as my "everyday carry" flashlight. I recently discovered the LD12 and I decided to try it out only because the LD12 has a momentary on switch where the LD10's switch needs to pressed all the way until it clicks before the light turns on. I really liked my LD10 but I always wished that it had a momentary on switch.

Pros:
-runs on a single AA battery
-momentary on switch
-very bright
-small in size which makes it great for EDC
-the battery lasts a long time for my usage but I still change the battery once a month
-the side button makes switching modes a little easier (the LD10 required you to twist the front bezel to change modes in conjunction with pressing the tail-cap switch)

Cons:
-not a big deal for me, but the included pouch is not as versatile as the pouch that came with my LD10 (see photos in the customer images section)

4.0 out of 5 stars "Turbo" mode only with VERY fresh battery, February 18, 2014
Old-Duckman (Beaver Falls, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
I bought this to replace a Cree that I thought I had lost (found it a day after this one arrived...ain't it always that way ?). Anyway, I do like the light. It is small takes one AA battery (which was a must when I was searching) the strobe mode is nicer than my Cree and the Cree does not have an SOS mode.

Pros:
- Small size
- Lanyard (I thread this thru my belt loop each AM and it should will not slip out of my pocket unless I un-loop it)
- 1/2 turn loosening of the end cap stops any unintentional "on" mode. This is noted in the instructions and is a plus IMO.
- Fairly powerful beam (Does not match up to my old Cree in a side by side comparison)

Cons:
- The biggest fault I find is that the Turbo mode is unavailable unless the battery is very fresh and strong. I put a brand new AA Ray-O-Vac Ultra-Pro (purchased from Amazon) in it and no Turbo. Pulled another from the same package of batteries and the Turbo would work. In a matter of a day or two (with very limited use)...no more Turbo mode. I don't know if it just my particular example or if they are all that way but a big minus IMO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a GREAT flashlight, January 20, 2014
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
I bought four different LED flashlights before I settled on this one. All were good, but none was great, until I found the LD12. This light has so many good features, I'll try to be brief. First up, very good build quality, and a nice textured exterior. It also puts out a generous amount of light, especially considering it runs on one ordinary alkaline AA battery. The LD12 has a good selection of brightness levels, from 125 lumens down to a 3 lumen mode that will run for an insane 100 hours on one AA battery. Three lumens doesn't sound like a lot, but it's plenty of light for reading or finding your way around a tent or a small room. Few LED flashlights have low modes that are *this* low. So if you're in a tough situation where you need to make the battery last, this light is ideal.

The LD12's interface is frankly superior to every other light I tested. The click switch on the body selects modes, while the click switch in the tail powers the light on/off. I love not having to rotate anything with two hands during the normal operation of this light. It's very easy to operate with one hand, a huge plus. The tail switch is appropriately firm, so you won't be powering this light on by accident. It also has a momentary on feature, so you can turn the light on for just a second without fully engaging the power switch. The power switch is not fully recessed into the body of the light, so the LD12 will not stand on end on a hard surface, one of very few disappointments in design.

When powering on, the light goes back to the last mode used - convenient when you have multiple modes. The LD12 also has a surprisingly small form factor. The small profile might be an issue for people with large hands, but it works well for me. It is an ideal light for backpacking due to its small size, light weight, and powerful output. This light also opens fully on both ends, giving you the option to push out a stuck (leaking) battery. Unlike some flashlights, the LD12 has a circuit to protect the light against damage if you install the battery backwards.

Fenix has done a good job on the electronics, using a current-controlled circuit to eliminate flicker and increase battery life. Although not the brightest LED light out there, I find that the LD12 provides more light than I will ever need while still offering great battery life. Based on my experience so far as well as other reviews, I believe this unit will also be very reliable.

If I could make any change, I would like to see one more brightness level, somewhere between the lowest mode (3 lumen) and the second lowest, 30 lumen. Something around 15 would be a good option to have. That said, the modes work well as is. I'd just like to have one more option when I need more than 3 lumens but still need to save battery life.

For those who like this light but have a tighter budget, check out the Fenix E12 light. It has many of the same features for about half the price. With that said, I do think the LD12 is worth the price. This is one of few products that I recommend without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little flashlight!, July 17, 2014
Jason R. (Burlingame, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
Great little flashlight! I purchased this to replace my older Surefire Backup for EDC. I wanted a similar item that took a standard, more economical battery (AA). I like that it is slimmer in diameter too. The light is more "white" when compared to the Surefire and might be less "hot" in the middle. I find the light from the Surefire to be more pleasant to look at, but the Fenix seems just as bright when held side-by-side. I suppose the Fenix is supposed to be brighter when comparing lumens, but I think the difference is more due to the "color" of the light than anything else. I also like the 4 stage dimmer on the Fenix.

I love that the Fenix cost less than half what I originally paid for the Surefire and the batteries will end up costing a lot less over time. I accidentally tested the water proof quality of the Fenix by leaving it clothing that went into the washing machine. The light went through an entire wash cycle and functioned perfectly afterward. I can't speak for the Surefire as I never accidentally washed it. The Surefire light feels more sturdy overall, and only time will tell how well the Fenix stands up to long-term abuse.

A disclaimer... it looks like Surefire's newer version of the Backup is significantly brighter that the old version, but also looks like it is even more expensive (costing more than three times the cost of this Fenix). I really loved my Surefire Backup, and am switching primarily for the AA battery usage. Looks like Surefire also has a more ridiculously bright 2-cell (CR123) Backup, but it is also really pricey.

The purchase price of the Fenix is not exactly cheap, but certainly a good deal in the world of tactical-type flashlights. It is definitely worth it if you're looking for a bright, relatively inexpensive, compact flashlight that you can carry in your pocket and not have to spend two dollars for every battery change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome light!!!!!!!, August 18, 2013
Azimuth (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
I didn't want to worry about finding batteries, so requirement was single AA with strobe. Got to tell you after buying three other lights including 4q, they all went back except for the LD12. Perfect size for 1-handed operation, fits on belt unobtrusively better then any mag lighter two AA size light too. Did I mention the output is amazing too? With 5 settings, I find dimmest works great around house, and brightest can light up a trail or room amazingly well. Only complaint is belt holster. Really wish it had Velcro instead of having to undo my belt to put it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
Amazingly bright for its size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
I have bought several Fenix flashlights over the years and they have all worked just great.I will only buy torches that run on common cheap AA/AAA batteries This and the Fenix LD01 and the Fenix Diffuser Tip are all some of my favorites.I carry a flashlight and work knife with me at all times.They come up handy more than you would think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Light, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
This is a very powerful little light. The different settings that the light offers are very useful. This light is perfect for carrying around everyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Light From Fenix, March 17, 2014
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
Compact, versatile with multiple brightness levels and strobe. Hard to believe that such a small device creates so much light. Outperforms some of the lights I have that are much larger in size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good flashlight, March 16, 2014
This review is from: Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black (Sports)
Good flashlight and compact different mode aa battery . It works very nice but it does not last longer .

Fenix LD12 Flashlight (Upgraded), Black