5.0 out of 5 stars A great look back
I just got this a a gift for a baseball-obsesed relative. it's a great look back at the history of baseball's coziest ballpark. It's well-written, with lots of interesting nuggets and stories.
Published on September 29, 2011 by Stevens229

3.0 out of 5 stars Great photos, adequate writing
This book does achieve what it promises - a concise history of beloved Fenway Park. Photographs (especially from the early to mid-1900's) are fascinating. However, the writing is fairly bland, and I was shocked that there was not a photograph of Terry Francona amongst any of the 2004 & 2007 World Series photos.
Published 14 months ago by Jean Cowan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great look back, September 29, 2011
Stevens229 "stevens229" (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fenway Park:The Centennial: 100 Years of Red Sox Baseball (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of stories and photos, October 20, 2011
I've worked at Fenway Park for 3 years, and I have a collection of 24 books all on the Red Sox on my bookshelf. Fenway Park the Centennial is definitely one of the best! If you're a Red Sox fan, or just a fan of baseball this is a great book to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fenway Park: The Centennial, November 21, 2011
An ideal size and attractive cover drew me to this book, but the writing kept me IN it. As an off-again on-again baseball fan, but a lover of all things Boston, I had decided I needed to educate myself about the mystique of Fenway Park, the origin of "Yawkey" and other Boston oddities. Saul Wisnia explains all with humor and intelligence, as well as a thorough grasp of Fenway's history and the significance of this grand old stadium to Boston. I started reading it in a cafeteria and finally had to stop... because they were closing! The book is beautifully designed, with call-out quotes and asides, boxed comments, and great historical photos and miscellanea. Its size is perfect for reading or as a gift; not too big or too heavy. All things are Just Right. Thank you Saul! I am a convert. ~ Elizabeth T.Fenway Park:The Centennial: 100 Years of Red Sox Baseball

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Red Sox fans!, November 28, 2011
I have given several of Saul's books as gifts to my sports & Red Sox fan friends and family. Saul's books are must have's. The writing is terrific and the pictures are gorgeous!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Belongs In Every Red Sox Nation Fan's Library, April 26, 2012
This book is a work of art. the amount of detail, facts, interesting stories and beautiful pictures of one of the cathedrals of baseball is phenomenal. If you or a family member or friend loves the Red Sox, baseball or art, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the 2nd ed in 100 years, December 3, 2011
Well-researched with great pictures. The DVD is a great feature it complements but doesn't supplement. I particularly liked the inclusion of the non-baseball aspects of Fenway. A great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful trip through Fenway Park's history., October 12, 2012
I have been a diehard Red Sox fan since my Dad took me to an Oriole daylight doubleheader back in 1962. Witnessed "The Monster" pitch relief (which seemed game after game after game) with such a presence it had to be intimidating to opposing hitters. Watched the 67' incredible season unfold and listened to the World Series day games with St Louis on a transistor radio under my Mr Roger's caridgan sweater (ear plugdown the sleeve) in 9th grade homeroom. Bob Gibson was incredible..Jim Lonberg almost got him on 2 days rest in game 7. This Book resurrected a treasure of memories for me..the CD narrated by Fisk is an added bonus and we hushed everyone so we could hear every word. This book is a must in any Red Sox Fan's bookcase...for that matter if you are just a fan of baseball and the ballparks that have survived the purges of the 80's..pick this one up...you will glad you did.

Well done Saul

Mike J

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the Essence on Fenway Park, January 22, 2012
My son is a huge Sox fan, and I (not having grown up in Boston) have come to really enjoy the team. Baseball is one of the bonds that my son and I share, and we're going to the 100th anniversary game for his birthday. I also wanted to get him a book for posterity. So I reviewed all the centennial books, and this is by the far the most meaningful one out there. You can sense the author's passion for the Sox and Fenway Park. He retells the history in a personal way that will appeal to young and old alike. I am looking forward to reading this book over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME WRITER & BOOK, November 25, 2011
sportsnut (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
OMG. What more can I say about this author and book. The RS are very dear to me, and this holds more history for the reader. I was born in 1972, and donot remember the 75 series at all. All the information obtained from this book can be used to help children understand the history of this storied franchise.

The DVD of Carlton, and his words taking me through Fenway was like I was there with him walking or sitting through games and Fenway.

I was told once "its not Fenways Fault", and its not. Its a team sport. We all live, breath, and die Red Sox baseball.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Fenway Park Centennial Book, March 5, 2012
Sandra Kimball (Norfolk, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Every Red Sox fan should buy this book. If you love a Red Sox fan, buy this book for them. If you've been to Fenway, it will invoke happy memories. If you haven't, you will finish this book feeling like you have.

The writing is so compelling that although the book can be read in snippets, I had a hard time putting it down. Even if you are not a die-hard baseball fan, the tour through Fenway Park and its history are fascinating and the photos are amazing. It also passes the credibility test because it is written by a lifelong Red Sox fan who grew up, and now works, within a stone's throw of the Park.

The Sox went through the wringer last season and we went through it with them. This book reminds me why we hang in there. It's a great way to start the new season!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fenway Park:The Centennial: 100 Years of Red Sox Baseball
Fenway Park:The Centennial: 100 Years of Red Sox Baseball by Saul Wisnia (Hardcover - September 13, 2011)
$29.99 $21.56