5.0 out of 5 stars A landmark game

Published 5 months ago by Rachael

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A landmark game, January 5, 2010
This review is from: Bioshock - Mac (DVD-ROM)
I'm not ordinarily a big fan of first-person shooters. I generally find them a bit tedious and splatter-oriented. I also have shied away from survival horror games like Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. I'm fond of real-time strategy games like Command and Conquer and more puzzle-oriented shooters like Metroid or Ratchet & Clank. I'm also a big fan of old-school adventures like Myst, Obsidian, Syberia.

So, it was with some trepidation that I popped Bioshock into my Mac, after all these years of waiting for it to be ported to this platform.

Bottom line: Bioshock isn't the usual tired FPS/survival horror retread. It is atmospheric, exhilarating, creepy, and deserves all of its accolades as a ground-breaking gaming landmark. I would recommend this to anyone wishing to experience one of the most enthralling games of the last decade.

In terms of performance, by the way, this game runs exceptionally-well on my 27" iMac (3 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4670+256 MB VRAM) on Snow Leopard in the game's default modes. Cranking up the resolution to the maximum screen resolution (2560x1440) and graphics details maxed out on all possible settings (shadows, water, etc) does result in a some choppiness. It's playable in that mode, but things get hairy in melee encounters with multiple splicers attacking simultaneously. For the best performance on a display this size, dropping the resolution and graphical options down a tick or two will improve display smoothness.

All in all, I'd give this game the highest rating I've ever given a game. Now, on to Bioshock 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Notes from an old fan of FPS games, May 26, 2011
This review is from: BioShock [Mac Download] (Software Download)
Many people have already extensively discussed BioShock's story, features, and gameplay in reviews of the console versions of the game, so I'm just going to talk about a few things I've noticed as a long-time fan of first-person shooters.

*BioShock is one of the most well-written games ever. Even if you aren't familiar with Ayn Rand, the story is rich, moving, and deeply satisfying. The voice acting, character development, and cutscenes are all of very high quality.

*The underwater setting is unique (finally, a game not set on a distant planet, a tropical island, a military base, or some combination of those) and beautifully realized. The music, environmental sounds and Art Deco graphics are all well done and add a lot to the playing experience.

*Each level is designed well and contains a fair amount of territory to explore. You are on rails more or less, as in all FPS games, but there is enough freedom to avoid making the game feel oppressively linear.

*Overall, the game is not terribly difficult. Boss battles are only slightly harder than fights with generic enemies, for the most part, and there aren't any ridiculously difficult puzzles to solve. The developers focused more on the story and on making all aspects of the game fit together holistically, rather than on trying to come up with mega-challenges for diehard gamers.

*Replayability is high, due to the way weapons and powers are earned as well as to the ability to follow different strategies throughout the game. Having said that, BioShock isn't as chock full of hidden features, secret abilities, and obscure actions as Japanese games (the Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil series all come to mind here. And yes, I know SH and RE are survival horror games, not FPS's).

-----
Bottom line: despite being a port to the Mac, BioShock is still one of the best games currently available. Anybody who enjoys FPS and action games will dig BioShock. Judged on gameplay mechanics alone, BioShock is a four star game but the stunning graphics, high production values, and outstanding storyline push it to five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars BioShock Crashes On Thy MAC., November 6, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock - Mac (DVD-ROM)
I bought this game direct from Feral Interactive. Love the game and they have great customer support. They are fast and courteous. If you needed 'em, feel free to contact them. They are friendly like Amazon.com.

PROs: Great game play. Nice port for the MAC (exception for the driver NVIDIA driver issue). The XBOX 360 Wireless Controller is fully supported. I have the PC version of this game and the MAC version looks almost exactly like the PC version. The water rendering is different on the MAC side. Overall this game is a must have.

Only problem that I have is Apple has some NVIDA graphic card driver issues. This interferes with this game's performance, see below.

CONs: NVIDIA graphic card driver issues! NVIDIA graphic card driver issues! NVIDIA graphic card driver issues! I stated this three times because this game only plays for about 5-7 minutes till the game freezes. This is not Feral's problem. Apple needs to get their act together with NVIDIA and create a patch to update the existing driver.

I contacted Feral Technical Support (fast and courteous) and they acknowledged the NVIDIA driver issue immediately. Snow Leopard broke something within the NVIDIA graphic card driver. They've stated that they can't do much until Apple and NVIDIA corrects the Snow Leopard NVIDIA driver. I have Snow Leopard (disappointed in it) and Feral Interactive stated that they hope OS 10.6.2 update will resolve the freezing issue. Let's hope Apple gets it together. Also, Feral has issued an interim patch to help with the stuttering issue.

I have utilized BootCamp for the PC version of this game. This game plays beautifully on my Windows XP partition. I use the same graphic card (NVIDIA 8800) on both Operating Systems. So I know it's not a RAM and Graphic card issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely captivating, November 13, 2009
This review is from: Bioshock - Mac (DVD-ROM)
It's difficult to put into words in any sort of new way the accolades of compliments this game received from professional publications whereas I wouldn't come across as sophomoric. I'll begin, then, with something small that sets me apart from those publications; personal computer specs!

MacPro (Early 2009 Edition)
Mac OS X 10.6.2/Quad-Core Xeon W3520 2.66GHz
3GB RAM/640GB HDD/2 SuperDrives (DVD-RW)/ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

My intention is not to gloat I hope, I get a new computer every few years and this is the latest- I had an MDD G4 1GHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9800Pro for years.

If you've played the console editions as I have the one noticeable lower quality is in the introduction where your character is on the plane- on the console versions, if I am not mistaken, this is rendered in real time using Bioshock's [Unreal 3] engine... here, it is video- until you crash, which is quite a short amount of time from when you click New Game anyway, and here's where the computer version shines (read; outshines).

The graphics are amazing- you have to *see* the water effects to really appreciate it. Almost every little detail of the game's locales has a very deliberately unique feel to it and the storyline will suck you in as it is tightly wound up in your actions. For a really good, visual review of this game I'd hunt down the Bioshock review on the GameTrailers com website.

As an extra note: This game takes advantage of multiple core CPUs and hunting down the INI located at "~/Library/Preferences/Feral Interactive/Bioshock/MacInit/Bioshock.ini" look for "HavokNumThreads=2" and change the "2" to the number of CPU cores you have. In my case this is "4". The game will not recognize a number higher than the amount of PHYSICAL CORES you have so forget about the hypothetical Hyperthreading number, FYI. The fluidity of the game was immediately noticeable after changing this value. For more on tweaking check out TweakGuides com's Bioshock page- just about anything applicable to the PC version is applicable to the Mac version.

My Dell monitor's maximum resolution is 1680x1050 and Bioshock runs quite well at this resolution with all settings at maximum... the consoles max out at 1080p with the optimum set-up and can't compare to the computer version's resolution or textures/graphics.

Now, utilizing flip-flop politics, I digress to the storyline. Again I can't go into much detail because I won't regurgitate what's already been said, but as was the aphorism of Reading Rainbow(tm); "...but don't just take my word for it!" Even if you don't like first person shooters- and I've read a handful of people comment agreeably from that camp- you will very likely enjoy this game.

Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Notes from an old fan of FPS games, April 25, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

-----

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game I've played in weeks!, April 17, 2013
This review is from: BioShock [Mac Download] (Software Download)
I never knew it came out on Mac so I was a few years late to the Bioshock party. Save all the girls! The ending is so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Objectivism put to the test, December 25, 2012
Erik Nodacker (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bioshock - Mac (DVD-ROM)
Part of the joy of this game is wandering through the ruins of Ayn Rand's selfish delusions. A society build on her 'every man for himself' philosophy would tear itself apart as surely as The underwater city of Rapture has done in this game. Adding psychotics with psychic powers, little girls harvesting people's life force, and murderous deep sea divers is just icing on the crazy cake!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Hard to Imagine a More Realistic Game!, February 28, 2010
This review is from: Bioshock - Mac (DVD-ROM)
This game is excellent! The graphics on my iMac are so realistic, that it's more like art. The story line is almost believable. It's no wonder that the person who wrote the story could develop Bioshock 2. This is a fantastic game that I've only played for a short time, but I'm hooked. When Bioshock 2 comes out for Mac, I'll gladly buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bioshock is More than Just Another FPS Game, November 3, 2010
This review is from: Bioshock - Mac (DVD-ROM)
Bioshock drew me in from the moment I started playing and ultimately made me into a huge fan of the first-person shooter style of gaming. The graphics are high quality, and the sound effects are strong. Together with the music, the setting creepily introduces Rapture, an underwater city past the day of its prime. Through setting clues, propaganda pieces, and abandoned picket signs, I started to wonder what happened to the innovative city and found myself searching for an answer to this throughout the game.
I have heard from some people that they did not actually find Bioshock scary and that the game tries too hard to appear that way. But from the first interaction I had with a splicer, even though witnessed in the confined spaces of the bathysphere, I was spooked. I found myself playing with a sense of paranoia and caution, afraid that a splicer would pop out around the corner at any moment.
I found the ideas behind the game very interesting, including continuous themes of addiction and submission. I originally found the concept of injecting myself constantly to gain various stunning abilities strange at best, but over time, I came to understand the need of doing so and constantly used them, as if really addicted to the Adam like the "citizens" of Rapture. The traditional aspects of a first-person shooter game are included with the use of weapons in correspondence with the plasmids. At first, controlling the character to use plasmids to stun and then use weapons to kill is difficult to juggle, but after a while the motions become secondhand in a "one-two-punch" pattern.
Aside from the occasional need to "hack" items through puzzles, which I found very annoying and focus-breaking, the game did a tremendous job of making me feel a sense of control with the progression of the game. Whether I was killing splicers, collecting objects, harvesting Adam, or simply following the advice of Atlas and other people through the walkie-talkie, I felt as though my actions through gameplay were directing affecting the ability of my player to escape the fallen city of Rapture. Additionally, each tape I listened to and every environmental clue helped me to discover more information about Rapture, which I definitely consider an element of the plotline within the game.
Overall, the game is very enthralling, even for people like myself who do not frequently play video games, and creates an enjoyable experience filled with suspense and even a deep and well-devised storyline within the game through symbolism, foreshadowing, and even external references (such as Biblical ones in terms of "Adam" and "Eve" being your main sources of power and health).

3.0 out of 5 stars though the game is amazing (from how little I've gotten to play it), July 26, 2014
This review is from: BioShock [Mac Download] (Software Download)
This copy of the download took FOREVER to download here from Amazon. I'm not sure who's fault it ultimately was (Amazon, the company, my internet) but it took 6 hours to download in the end. When I finally got the product running, all I needed to do was install updates and then I had no problems playing. I would definitely suggest getting an actual mouse for this game as it's mostly impossible without one. Currently, I am having issues saying that my download is an "invalid installation" of the game and I'm probably going to have to wait another 6 hours to download it again. I'm not particularly impressed with the customer service on this product, though the game is amazing (from how little I've gotten to play it).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›